NFL

Dappa Dan

Ref's were terrible. Offensive PI missed, then PI missed the other way on the gutsy 2nd down throw and more. But it makes for a great game when it's physical. 

GB unlucky with the OT rules and the coin flip.

Palmer turned a bad day in to a good finish. Is it nerves or is he found out against the best? Credit to GB defense regardless, Arizona will have to be better running the ball to win the whole lot. 

Great for Larry Fitzgerald to get the win, hope a few Dees players were watching and learning how sticking with your team can be so rewarding.

GB and Rodgers will be back next year if they get the receivers healthy and get Eddie Lacy in a fat camp. Lacy is still a good runner when he's motoring but you can tell he just flounders in the open field when he should punish teams and he doesn't seem to play at a high level for full games yet alone a full season.

Much like the 49ers/Ravens SB of a few years ago, pass interference wasn't really payed all game. At least we got some consistency ... GB didn't create enough chances to score TD's and that's why we lost.

Arizona were marginally better but they were still better ... the Fitzgerald yards after reception was the killer blow. They got lucky with the tipped TD but you make your own luck

I'm bloody annoyed but it's not like we deserved to win and somehow lost ... the Cardinals can play a lot better too and they'll need to do that against Carolina or Seattle. 

Anyway, whilst Rodgers is healthy, we're always going to be a threat ... obviously Nelson will be back but a team can never be too strong in the WR and TE position. Our offensive line needs improvement whilst our much-maligned defense can get better even though we were reasonably good at defense this season.

Lacy needs a lot more fibre in his diet :ph34r: ... you can't be running out of steam in the one thing you are paid to do.

• Like 1

I actually felt we should have been able to take advantage and win ... they (Arizona) didn't play a great game but we still only had scored 13 points up until that hail-mary play. Anyway, they go on and if they can play to their best, they can make it to the SB

The big story from today is the Pats though - they look like they're getting back to their best form and Edelman, Gronkowski & Amendola will all be better for the run.

They're going to be hard to stop.

• Like 1

Disappointing to see the Patriots win yet again, making this their 5th consecutive AFC Championship game - I don't like that kind of sustained success in any sport.

On that topic, I like seeing Arizona make the NFC Championship game and if Carolina can knock Seattle out, then a guaranteed fresh face in the Superbowl will be even better. I'm dreading the thought of another Seattle-Denver or Seattle-New England Superbowl.

Unfortunately, the way New England's offence clicked today against Kansas City's defence, it probably doesn't matter. Gronk + Edelman + Amendola with Brady in form passing is a recipe for disaster for the other teams.

Edited by titan_uranus

Haven't caught up with all the post game stuff yet but that first half of Carolina's was quite impressive (especially against that Seattle defense) Broncos get over the Steelers but that fumble with 10 odd minutes to go was costly for Pittsburgh.

It seems that we've seen a lot more fumbles by the RB's this year or am I just noticing it more? More so the ball being punched free rather than the usual situation where the ball spills free after contact.

I reckon the best 4 teams have made it through but we are going to see a relatively new team in the SB with either the Panthers or the Cardinals to progress. The odds makers have both New England & Carolina as 3 point favourites. All 4 road teams won in week 1 of the playoffs whilst all 4 home teams won this weekend.

Leaderboard in the tipping comp (post season)

7 - JV7, Macca

6 - cowboy_from_hell

4 - Georgiou R.R. Martin, Gorgoroth

Next week's games (AEDT)

Monday 7.05am New England @ Denver

Monday 10.40am Arizona @ Carolina     

Edited by Macca

Seeing Seattle lose was so, so sweet. The more so because it puts two nice, new, fresh faces in line for a Superbowl appearance. Would be happy with either of Arizona or Carolina; probably hoping for Arizona and Larry Fitzgerald at this point. Should be a great game.

I'm less confident that the AFC Championship game will be that great. Denver struggled to put away a side without its best wide receiver or its two best running backs, and a QB with a dodgy arm. The only thing going against New England is that the game is in Denver. If they lose, chalk it down to that awful Week 17 loss to Miami where they gave up home field advantage.

been away for a bit but no surprise we are at the point of another New England Super Bowl. Gotta respect them but a Carolina/Arizona vs somebody else would be good to watch. Denver are close but can the ageing manning out play and out smart the pats? I don't think so. If Denver can get some turn overs with the awesome pass rush they may have a chance but Brady is used to a bad O line and he doesn't hold onto the ball too long. Arizona and Carolina I don't have much of a clue about. 

Pats 27 Denver 9

Carolina 17 Arizona 21

5 hours ago, cowboy_from_hell said:

been away for a bit but no surprise we are at the point of another New England Super Bowl. Gotta respect them but a Carolina/Arizona vs somebody else would be good to watch. Denver are close but can the ageing manning out play and out smart the pats? I don't think so. If Denver can get some turn overs with the awesome pass rush they may have a chance but Brady is used to a bad O line and he doesn't hold onto the ball too long. Arizona and Carolina I don't have much of a clue about. 

Pats 27 Denver 9

Carolina 17 Arizona 21

Think you nailed it. Brady gets the ball out so quick a pass rush is irrelevant. 

I think you have to put 2 on Gronk and maybe even 2 on Edelman at times, then disrupt Brady's throwing lanes and not be afraid to give up a big play every now and then. 

The issue for Denver is without a great passing game they don't want to sell out and take some risks to force Brady in to a mistake or to get a punt and instead I imagine Denver will die a slow death in this game as NE gradually pull away by sustaining drives.

• Like 1

Happy to see Brady & the Pats miss out... Denvers D is unreal, from the highlights I saw looked as though Brady was under pressure all day. Combine Denvers Defense and the Pats poor O-Line the result isn't suprising.. Although I think we all tipped the Pats haha. 

The Panthers offense just keep on putting up points and the defense keep on turning the ball over. Where do the Cards go with Palmer from here ? 4 INT's & 2 fumbles, not good enough for a QB of his experience. He was poor last week too... He might just be one of those players not up to the big stage. 

Now onto the SB, thankfully I've taken the day off and heading to a SB party :)

Edited by JV7
  • Like 1

Wow. That Denver defense is something. I need to watch the replay as only saw the last quarter but to make the stand and stop Brady on the 2pt conversion was something. Brady is amazing and Gronk is even better, just a freak of nature.

Peyton looked bad in the 4th quarter, might have to watch more to see if the Broncos will get something going in the superbowl.

As for Carolina, they are fantastic. They know who they are on both sides of the ball, aggressive and capable of big plays.

Most will tip Carolina for the superbowl and I might too, but I'll be keen to see what Denver come up with on offense because their D will at least give them a chance I think.

• Like 1

Watched both games in full ... Panthers very impressive and Arizona never got going. The Palmer interceptions didn't help but 3 of them came when I felt the game was over anyway. Carolina are going to be hard to stop but they're offense is going to be up against Denver's defense. Palmer wasn't very good but the difference maker was Newton - he was immense.

Denver played very well (their defense was excellent) ... Peyton was at times good whilst at other times he looked quite vulnerable ... Brady wasn't protected well at all - under pressure for nearly the entire match.

That missed 'point after' early in the game by the Pats ended up being very costly for New England - all through the game the scoreline reminded us of that missed conversion (they trailed by 8 points for a large part of the game)

I suppose the SB winner will come down to which team can exploit their own advantage or indeed which team can stifle the oppositions strengths ... it might come down to Carolina's offense vs Denver's defense but there's a lot of other factors at play as well.

Leaderboard in the tipping comp (post season) ... 3 points are on offer for correctly tipping the SB winner.

8 - JV7, Macca

6 - cowboy_from_hell

5 - Georgiou R.R. Martin, Gorgoroth

Edited by Macca

Well it seems I know jack squat. Denver's pass rush was the real deal and manning did what he had to do. The difference in the SB is Cam can run. Do Denver and their D line try to contain cam in the pocket or do they pass rush him? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Macca said:

Watched both games in full ... Panthers very impressive and Arizona never got going. The Palmer interceptions didn't help but 3 of them came when I felt the game was over anyway. Carolina are going to be hard to stop but they're offense is going to be up against Denver's defense. Palmer wasn't very good but the difference maker was Newton - he was immense.

Newton was amazing, but I feel like some of the other members of Carolina's offense need to get some credit as well. Their O line is really good. Olsen is making a case for the 2nd best TE in the league. Stewart always runs hard and the WR keep making big plays. I don't care if they have drops and bad moments, they keep getting open when they need to be. 

I feel like the success of the panthers is that their good players are really good and the role players around them just keep stepping up when the time is right.

34 minutes ago, Georgiou R.R. Martin said:

Newton was amazing, but I feel like some of the other members of Carolina's offense need to get some credit as well. Their O line is really good. Olsen is making a case for the 2nd best TE in the league. Stewart always runs hard and the WR keep making big plays. I don't care if they have drops and bad moments, they keep getting open when they need to be. 

I feel like the success of the panthers is that their good players are really good and the role players around them just keep stepping up when the time is right.

The only thing that can stop them is a defense like Denver's ... however, there are a lot of intangibles and there is also an element of luck. In a way it's a bit like Denver's offense vs Seattle's defense from 2 SB's past ... except Carolina's offense seems harder to stop with Newton being a running weapon as well as now being a very good pocket passer. And then there's the other offensive weapons which you've pointed out.

In a nutshell I reckon Carolina's defense can stop Denver's offense but I'm not sure that Denver's defense can stop Carolina's offense.

But in this sport, who knows? A fumble, an interception, a pick 6 or long yardage run-back can happen at any time. That's what makes the sport so fascinating to watch - every game has a number of unknowns that we know will happen but we don't know what they will be nor what the consequences will be.

And then there's the experience of Peyton with Elway in the background ... for all their confidence, the Panthers might be overawed by the occasion. Carolina have opened up 3.5 point favourites. However, one could make a case for either team winning.

Peyton won't want to be reminded of this bit from Super Bowl XLVIII

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Macca said:

The only thing that can stop them is a defense like Denver's ... however, there are a lot of intangibles and there is also an element of luck. In a way it's a bit like Denver's offense vs Seattle's defense from 2 SB's past ... except Carolina's offense seems harder to stop with Newton being a running weapon as well as now being a very good pocket passer. And then there's the other offensive weapons which you've pointed out.

In a nutshell I reckon Carolina's defense can stop Denver's offense but I'm not sure that Denver's defense can stop Carolina's offense.

But in this sport, who knows? A fumble, an interception, a pick 6 or long yardage run-back can happen at any time. That's what makes the sport so fascinating to watch - every game has a number of unknowns that we know will happen but we don't know what they will be nor what the consequences will be.

And then there's the experience of Peyton with Elway in the background ... for all their confidence, the Panthers might be overawed by the occasion. Carolina have opened up 3.5 point favourites. However, one could make a case for either team winning.

Peyton won't want to be reminded of this bit from Super Bowl XLVIII

I think he Panthers are the better side on both sides of the ball... Broncos D is on fire, the way Miller & Ware are going they are more than more capable of causing Newton some problems... But I think the Panthers have more options on offense. Surely this will be Peyton's swansong ? In the end I think it'll come down to the Broncos D vs Cam & the Panthers  Offense because I reckon the Panthers D can hold Peyton & the offense 

Edited by JV7
  • Like 1