NFL

Dappa Dan

Eagles are all over Chicago. The bears can't stop Chip Kelly's master strokes and Chicago can't stop Cutler getting sacked.

Hard to believe that the Packers can still win our division ... the truth is that we're in that position by default but we've not exactly underperformed either. Without Rodgers we've done about as well as could be expected.

Detroit were 6 and 3 and flying and are now completely out of it. It now all comes down to next week at Soldier Field but I'm not expecting Rodgers to play - the latest is that the collarbone fracture was of the "spiral" type. But who would know?

Happy to be surprised with Rodgers and thankful that we've still got a puncher's chance with Flynn.

Hard to believe that the Packers can still win our division ... the truth is that we're in that position by default but we've not exactly underperformed either. Without Rodgers we've done about as well as could be expected.

Detroit were 6 and 3 and flying and are now completely out of it. It now all comes down to next week at Soldier Field but I'm not expecting Rodgers to play - the latest is that the collarbone fracture was of the "spiral" type. But who would know?

Happy to be surprised with Rodgers and thankful that we've still got a puncher's chance with Flynn.

It's a bit odd to see the NFC north take a dive this year. Even in the bad years with the Vikes I could always come back with the "It's the toughest division in the NFC" argument. Detroit is a head scratcher. On paper they have it all. Chicago have major problems. Philly has a pretty poor defense (Cassel threw for 348 yds last week) but chicago couldn't give Cutler any time to throw. Chicago's defense is also god awful. If Cutler is gone for the cheaper option of McCown who played well in place of Cutler then they could maybe plug some holes. It could be a win/win for Chicago and Cutler. The Vikes have the obvious QB problems and virtually no secondary. The Packers have fought well without Rogers and to still be in with a chance is a great effort even though the other 3 teams have helped out a fair bit. I don't think either Chicago or Green Bay can get much done in the playoffs but if your boys did make it I think it's a credit to McCarthy and co for signing Flynn and keeping in the hunt to the end.

It's a bit odd to see the NFC north take a dive this year. Even in the bad years with the Vikes I could always come back with the "It's the toughest division in the NFC" argument. Detroit is a head scratcher. On paper they have it all. Chicago have major problems. Philly has a pretty poor defense (Cassel threw for 348 yds last week) but chicago couldn't give Cutler any time to throw. Chicago's defense is also god awful. If Cutler is gone for the cheaper option of McCown who played well in place of Cutler then they could maybe plug some holes. It could be a win/win for Chicago and Cutler. The Vikes have the obvious QB problems and virtually no secondary. The Packers have fought well without Rogers and to still be in with a chance is a great effort even though the other 3 teams have helped out a fair bit. I don't think either Chicago or Green Bay can get much done in the playoffs but if your boys did make it I think it's a credit to McCarthy and co for signing Flynn and keeping in the hunt to the end.

Hard to disagree with any of that 'cfh'. I see you've drawn level in the comp as well!

So many permutations in store for next week after today's results ... 2013 NFL Week 17 playoff scenarios

Makes for some interesting reading but the biggest surprise is that Seattle have now left the door open a bit for the 49ers and the Panthers. Even the Steelers can make it although that is a bit of long shot. I think I'm right in saying that Arizona could finish 11 and 5 and still miss the playoffs. That's cruel.

Carolina can get the 1 seed if San Francisco wins the NFC West. One part of the equation if that were to happen is the Rams winning in Seattle next week - who's to say they won't after today's results?

Week 17 games

Points tally in the comp .. it's the last week coming up with 3 points on offer - good luck! ... Week 17 games

6 - Strafford, cowboy from hell

4 - pantaloons, Macca

2 - Gorgoroth

1 - DemonDave

0 - 45HG, Norm Smith's Curse, Arrow, bananas

Permit me to gloat a little about the 49ers. I taped their game v Atlanta but, I prefer the beach at Frankston at this time of year so I won't get to see them win the game that got them into the playoffs for a fortnight. Here's a piece I got off the web:-

SAN FRANCISCO -- On a night they cheered "The Catch" and all the San Francisco greats of old, the current 49ers looked ready to move that success right into the future at a flashy new stadium.

In one emphatic finish, NaVorro Bowman, Colin Kaepernick and the Niners sealed their postseason berth in a ceremonious regular-season farewell for Candlestick Park.

Bowman returned an interception 89 yards for a touchdown with 1:10 remaining, and the 49ers clinched a playoff spot with a wild 34-24 victory against the Atlanta Falcons on Monday night in the likely final game at The Stick.

"That's been the best thing I've ever seen happen in a football game," coach Jim Harbaugh said. "Might've been close to 'The Catch.'"

This Colin Kaepernick looks like an absolute revelation since coming into the team a little over 12 months ago. Here's hoping for more in 2003/4 and that Jesse Hogan has the same effect on the Dees next year!

Massive week. To think that Pittsburgh could be 0-4, then drop two in a row late to Baltimore and Miami (two teams they're competing with for the number 6 seed, which would seemingly kill their playoff chances), but still be alive going into Week 16, was incredible. To then have all the results go their way, including Buffalo beating Miami, is insane.

I'm still backing the Dolphins to snare the number 6 seed, with a win at home against the Jets. It's no certainty, of course, but it's the most likely to happen I think. If it does happen, then they're in provided the Bengals beat the Ravens, and the Bengals are undefeated at home this year, so I'd back them in to get the job done.

If the Dolphins drop their game, then that opens the door for the Chargers, who will know if their season is alive when they play as they're in the late slot. If Baltimore and Miami both lose their early games, the Chargers are in a 'win and in' situation at home against the Chiefs, who they already beat on the road this year. Could well get it done. Failing that, Pittsburgh will beat Cleveland, which means they're in if all three lose (wow!).

As for the NFC, whilst the Cardinals are still alive, the Saints get the Bucs at home, which they just will not lose. I'm hoping against all hope the Rams can go into Seattle and win. They played the Seahawks so well on MNF the first time around, and the Seahawks are woefully out of form right now. But I don't think it'll happen, which means the 49ers will end up probably the 5th seed (I think we'll beat Arizona).

I'm also barracking strongly for Chicago and Dallas. I do not want to have to go to Lambeau in the Wild Card round if Rodgers is back. I also don't want to have to go into Philadelphia, the way the Eagles are playing. I'm much more confident going into Chicago or Dallas, both of whom are average football clubs. I'll back my 49ers to win a road game against any of those sides, but Chicago/Dallas are much easier options.

The OneHD games and the cable games have been a mixed bag this year (more specifically the games outside of SNF and MNF) ... the thing that has been noticeable has been the games not covered (with some of this week's games being a good example)

It's as if they have a set roster done at the start of the season but they don't factor in that certain teams improve a lot and other teams fall away completely. 2 years ago, the 49ers were rarely on OneHD or cable, even though they were on their way to the SuperBowl. I remember commenting about it on this thread. It was difficult to make an appraisal of Alex Smith because we rarely got to see him play.

OneHD and Cable need to bring in their own version of "flexing" games (if that's possible) I'm also wondering why OneHD don't do a deal and get hold of the MNF games. Hopefully, all the play-off games will be covered by both OneHD and cable.

As an aside, sports fans outside of OZ would probably be wondering why we have to watch our free-to-air sport in 'Standard Definition' instead of being able to watch it in 'HD' ... the footy and the cricket in particular. I've heard all the reasoning but it still doesn't add up IMO.

Agreed.

Does anyone know how One chooses or comes to be given its NFL games? I don't have cable so I only get what's offered on One, and so often it's the same teams repeated (lots of Cowboys, Broncos, Giants and Steelers). 49ers had a good run, so that's not so bad, but at the same time there doesn't seem to be much logic or a pattern in what games are shown (e.g. it's not, for example, CBS and Fox's best games in each timeslot, nor is it rotating through teams or divisions, or anything like that).

I don't think the Week 17 games for One have been released yet, but I'm hoping for Ravens-Bengals (huge playoff implications), 49ers-Cardinals, and/or Chiefs-Chargers.

Titan, I'm fairly certain we'll lose this week. We can't move up or down from the #5 spot and should rest Charles and Bowe, the latter after a concussion, and I'd sit Smith for the second half. That's pretty much our offensive skill positions out. I'd give Houston some time in since he hasn't played since early in the last game against San Diego. I wouldn't read anything into our last matchup with them as we went in short-handed and lost the foundation of our defense (Houston and Hali) when we were whipping them and couldn't stop them after that. The amount we lose by will be determined by what's on the line for San Diego and how motivated they are if their season has just finished minutes before the game starts.

As for OneHD, they should have a lot more or an AFC focus, as they get two CBS games and the SNF game. Foxtel gets the predominantly NFC-focused Fox games. Within that though, I'm not sure how they or CBS choose which games from which timeslot we get.

Titan, I'm fairly certain we'll lose this week. We can't move up or down from the #5 spot and should rest Charles and Bowe, the latter after a concussion, and I'd sit Smith for the second half. That's pretty much our offensive skill positions out. I'd give Houston some time in since he hasn't played since early in the last game against San Diego. I wouldn't read anything into our last matchup with them as we went in short-handed and lost the foundation of our defense (Houston and Hali) when we were whipping them and couldn't stop them after that. The amount we lose by will be determined by what's on the line for San Diego and how motivated they are if their season has just finished minutes before the game starts.

As for OneHD, they should have a lot more or an AFC focus, as they get two CBS games and the SNF game. Foxtel gets the predominantly NFC-focused Fox games. Within that though, I'm not sure how they or CBS choose which games from which timeslot we get.

Oh yeah? Guess it makes sense to rest those injured/sore players and prepare for (most likely) Indy.

OneHD doesn't just do CBS games though, they do Fox games too. I've seen Fox games on OneHD this year.

OneHD still haven't posted up their Monday games but it could be assumed that they are at least covering the SNF game along with ESPN (Eagles @ Dallas, 12.30pm)

The 5am Monday game on Fox2 is the Ravens @ Cinci and the 8.25am game is the 49ers @ Arizona ... Week 17 games

Tips ...

Philadelphia

Denver

Green Bay

TV games

Monday

5.00am Jacksonville at Indianapolis (OneHD)

5.00am Baltimore at Cincinnati (Fox2)

8.25am San Francisco at Arizona (Fox2)

8.25am Denver at Oakland (OneHD)

12.30pm Philadelphia at Dallas (OneHD & ESPN)

All the week 17 games and ... The BS Report

I guess all the TV games mean something in terms of finishing positions for a number of teams involved.

Obviously the Packers/Bears game will have a lot of interest for neutrals and fans alike but unfortunately, that match is not on the tele. For those without cable, the Denver/Raiders game will have to suffice in that timeslot! :mellow:

You'd reckon that Seattle will win with so much at stake but the 49ers will still want to win, just in case. The late games involve a lot of matches that can change the make-up of the play-offs. I reckon we'll at least see a lot of crossovers whilst watching either of the late games.

TV games

Monday

5.00am Jacksonville at Indianapolis (OneHD)

5.00am Baltimore at Cincinnati (Fox2)

8.25am San Francisco at Arizona (Fox2)

8.25am Denver at Oakland (OneHD)

12.30pm Philadelphia at Dallas (OneHD & ESPN)

All the week 17 games and ... The BS Report

I guess all the TV games mean something in terms of finishing positions for a number of teams involved.

Obviously the Packers/Bears game will have a lot of interest for neutrals and fans alike but unfortunately, that match is not on the tele. For those without cable, the Denver/Raiders game will have to suffice in that timeslot! :mellow:

You'd reckon that Seattle will win with so much at stake but the 49ers will still want to win, just in case. The late games involve a lot of matches that can change the make-up of the play-offs. I reckon we'll at least see a lot of crossovers whilst watching either of the late games.

That's incredible. Of all the games to get, we got Jacksonville-Indy, almost entirely irrelevant, and Denver-Oakland, similarly irrelevant.

I don't know who makes these decisions, or when, but in no way can I see how those games could be considered good to show.

Quinn getting in makes me happy. Hekker the only other Ram to make it. I thought Long was a good chance early in the year but did not get to see much Rams stuff towards the second half of the year so hopefully next year.

Was looking for a Packer in that Pro Bowl list and then I remembered ...

We're a one man team!

Lacy might go close to being the (offensive) ROTY though. 3rd favourite behind your bloke, Tavon Austin.

Was looking for a Packer in that Pro Bowl list and then I remembered ...

We're a one man team!

Lacy might go close to being the (offensive) ROTY though. 3rd favourite behind your bloke, Tavon Austin.

Lacy can find himself very unlucky not to be included. I thought his year was very impressive. Your main man is back this week. Life is restored to normal.

Lacy can find himself very unlucky not to be included. I thought his year was very impressive. Your main man is back this week. Life is restored to normal.

Yep. Hopefully they've had a real think about how he's protected going forward. Previously, he's been sacked way too many times.

I don't want him running with the ball unless it's absolutely necessary. Peyton and Tom don't do a lot of scrambling, nor should Rodgers. If we can't win with him throwing the ball from the pocket, so be it. We've now got a reasonable running game so it should be a no-brainer (it's not just about tomorrow either)

The Bears are sure to be fired up and it should be a crackin' match. Tunein radio will most probably have the game covered. That'll have to do. There's a lot more going on tomorrow - especially in the later games.