NFL

Dappa Dan

22 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

It's pretty grim finding road winners most weeks.

Not for you. lol

I think you being the only one picking Falcons might make everyone look completely stupid in about 15 hours time.

2 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

A few of us in the points this week.

Took 8 weeks for the favourites to start doing their thing.

Edited by Dappa Dan

Patriots deal QB Jimmy Garoppolo to 49ers for 2018 draft pick

For a 2nd round pick too by the looks of it ... Garoppolo was to become a restricted free agent by seasons end so the Pats get a deal done now.  Re-signing him might have been a prohibitive move by the Pats in the sense that the 49ers are looking like tagging Garoppolo as their franchise player. 

35 minutes ago, Macca said:

Patriots deal QB Jimmy Garoppolo to 49ers for 2018 draft pick

For a 2nd round pick too by the looks of it ... Garoppolo was to become a restricted free agent by seasons end so the Pats get a deal done now.  Re-signing him might have been a prohibitive move by the Pats in the sense that the 49ers are looking like tagging Garoppolo as their franchise player. 

Not to big up my team unnecessarily... but the way Beatherd was smashed all day by the Eagles DL... it's no great surprise they paid through the teeth to get something to be excited about.

Now let's see if Hyde gets moved.

41 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Not to big up my team unnecessarily... but the way Beatherd was smashed all day by the Eagles DL... it's no great surprise they paid through the teeth to get something to be excited about.

Now let's see if Hyde gets moved.

Jeff Saturday made mention of the vulnerability of Wentz in terms of protection and what the Eagles are asking him to do.  I haven't watched the Eagles like you do but is there any substance to what Saturday is saying?

I bang on about the Rodgers situation with McCarthy but is it a similar situation with Wentz & Pederson? 

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Jeff Saturday made mention of the vulnerability of Wentz in terms of protection and what the Eagles are asking him to do.  I haven't watched the Eagles like you do but is there any substance to what Saturday is saying?

I bang on about the Rodgers situation with McCarthy but is it a similar situation with Wentz & Pederson? 

Part 1: Aaaaabsolutely. First 4 weeks last year with Lane Johnson and Jason Peters Wentz was rookie of the year by a mile. Take one away, and he goes 15:15 TD:Int or thereabouts and leads the lead in fumbles (not losses).

Fast forward to this year and he's up there with the MVP favourites. Then in his first game ever without Peters protecting his blindside, and his rating drops about 30 points.

I dunno that it's what he's being asked to do though. He's being asked to play at QB. You get hit at QB. When his line breaks down he uses escapability, but I don't think they're designing many plays where they get him to run.

The one area he might be right is where Wentz is holding onto the ball too long. We're going ok right now based partly on deep threats, and you have to let those plays develop. So yeah, you might find when they play the big time defenses, Wentz might go no huddle/hurry-up more often to get the ball out quicker. But as far as what he's being asked to do... Yeah... you might find Petersen finds new ways to get him protected. There's other small factors too though. Eagles RBs aren't great blockers, and Ertz virtually never blocks.

Saturday could also factor in that Wentz is copping the Blitz more than anyone in the league so far. But then, he's reading them so well that that's playing into the Eagles' hands. I think we might find before the cutoff tomorrow/tonight, Eagles make a move.

Part 2: It sort of could be yeah. I think Rodgers moves laterally so well, and throws so well when he does, that it's something McCarthy deliberately coaches for. As we covered a couple of weeks ago. Wentz isn't like that though. He escapes pressure and steps up, then if possible takes 4-5 steps and dives head first. He's an awesome open field runner when he gets on the move... but in terms of direct comparisons to Rodgers, I don't think they're the same.

You might have a point though. Eagles paid Johnson to keep him, went and got Vaitai, Wizniewski, Seumalo, Warmack... all of whom have lifted. But now that Peters is out, what moves are they making to get Wentz the protection he needs to involve his deep threats like Jeffrey? Ertz's lack of blocking was shown up on one super ugly play that has Eagles fan radio getting very grumbly. It's not good. And yeah, Eagles fans are super happy, but if it takes a turn for the worst it'll be because Wentz gets hurt from the Peters' injury.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Jenkins suspended for the Rams/Giants game. I think I hard McVay and Goff cheering from here.

Yeah what happened there?

Let's keep in mind. They could have had 10 Jenkinses.... Rams aren't losing to the Giants.

2 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Yeah not sure. Happy tho. Still unhappy we lost him.

Something about "team rules." So either he spat the dummy at his coaches or missed training or whatever.

As far as the Eagles' remaining schedule... We have two games circled. One's obvious, Seattle. The other is Rams. Cowboys X2 would have been big games, but now with Zeke. :)

I had a look at Rams schedule. Holy smokes. It's not 8 weeks of hell, but there's some top-flight teams coming up. Texans, Vikings, Saints, Eagles and Seahawks.

Leaderboard in the comp

6 - Clintosaurus

5 - Dappa Dan

4 - Go the Biff

3 - JV7

1 - Gorgoroth,  Macca

0 - The usual suspects

This weeks games ... 2 points up for grabs in the comp.  Another tough week though - good luck!

Guess the Lines Week 9 with Bill Simmons & Cousin Sal (Podcast)

image.thumb.png.de69fa09c4661f03399d0cbd54b5638f.png

22 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Something about "team rules." So either he spat the dummy at his coaches or missed training or whatever.

As far as the Eagles' remaining schedule... We have two games circled. One's obvious, Seattle. The other is Rams. Cowboys X2 would have been big games, but now with Zeke. :)

I had a look at Rams schedule. Holy smokes. It's not 8 weeks of hell, but there's some top-flight teams coming up. Texans, Vikings, Saints, Eagles and Seahawks.

Hence why I’ve not been thinking playoffs. Hard run home. Some of those on the road too.

1 minute ago, Macca said:

Leaderboard in the comp

6 - Clintosaurus

5 - Dappa Dan

4 - Go the Biff

3 - JV7

1 - Gorgoroth,  Macca

0 - The usual suspects

This weeks games ... 2 points up for grabs in the comp.  Another tough week though - good luck!

Guess the Lines Week 9 with Bill Simmons & Cousin Sal (Podcast)

image.thumb.png.de69fa09c4661f03399d0cbd54b5638f.png

Alright you lot, I’ve given you all to the half way point. Now I’m getting serious... 

yeah... that was why I couldn’t pick them... ha ha

1 minute ago, Gorgoroth said:

Hence why I’ve not been thinking playoffs. Hard run home. Some of those on the road too.

Yeah I see it now.

Still. If you take away home field and toughness of schedule etc... Rams are second in power rankings... It's a good place to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gorgoroth said:

Alright you lot, I’ve given you all to the half way point. Now I’m getting serious... 

yeah... that was why I couldn’t pick them... ha ha

Ha ha ha ... good luck trying to find 3 road winners this week Gorgo.  It's possibly the toughest week we've had. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Macca said:

Ha ha ha ... good luck trying to find 3 road winners this week Gorgo.  It's possibly the toughest week we've had. 

Just when you think it couldn't get any harder... Litreally nothing this week haha

Edited by JV7