NFL

Dappa Dan

The turn around for the Chicago D has been amazing. Quality coaching in the NFL makes all the difference. Need an impact player in the secondary and a bit more talent on the D Line and we'll be rolling.

It's funny because I think John Fox is a bit short sighted with his game plan and having poor relations with the local media and so on but he obviously understand locker room culture and he hires very good coordinators and puts them in a position to succeed. It seems less is often more with NFL head coaches. Way too often teams hire the quality coordinator instead of picking a guy to be head coach who can then delegate.

I think Roosy would be an awesome NFL head coach. He'd just keep the players happy, hire the best coordinators, make sure to always play competitive and tough football and go from there.

Yeah I think the combination of fox and gase as coordinator has helped a lot. It's no different to the vikes getting a defensive head coach in zimmer but then hiring Norv Turner as OC who has coached a lot of teams to success. What makes the NFL great is teams like Chicago. Horrible a year ago but are now showing signs of improvement and winning games. Atlanta are doing the same as well. It does make me respect teams like Green Bay and New England who always seem to be in the mix no matter what happens in free agency or what teams they come up against.

I reckon so, like most college ideas bought to the NFL, they work for a while until they are figured out. That's what has happened, that and getting rid of decent players and bringing in a QB not suited to that style of play and a amazing north/south RB and asking his to play completely different and run more east/west.

Heat is finally starting to come to Fisher as well.

Yeah I think the combination of fox and gase as coordinator has helped a lot. It's no different to the vikes getting a defensive head coach in zimmer but then hiring Norv Turner as OC who has coached a lot of teams to success. What makes the NFL great is teams like Chicago. Horrible a year ago but are now showing signs of improvement and winning games. Atlanta are doing the same as well. It does make me respect teams like Green Bay and New England who always seem to be in the mix no matter what happens in free agency or what teams they come up against.

Yep the importance of coaching certainly helps create equality because bad head coaches get fired (and often then resort to being very good coordinators) and good coordinators get hired away from teams and it helps share the knowledge around.

And free agency helps as well. Unlike in the AFL where it probably hinders equilisation. That said the teams in small markets that can't attract free agents besides huge contracts probably aren't helped.

I'm so impressed by what Vic Fangio has done with the Bears defense. They were all time bad the last couple of years.

Today we had 2 high priced OLB, but nothing but journeymen and rookie/2nd year types at every other position on defense. Houston and McPhee are getting paid, and Willie Young is making 3 million dollars but no one else is making more than McClellin on his rookie deal (and he's probably overpaid!). It's a bunch of bargain pick ups with the same scrubs who were rubbish the last two years and Fangio has brought them together and made them competitive.

That said I'm not frustrated that the Bears have kind of wasted a year where they could've made the play offs in a reasonably wide open NFC. After the Panthers and Cardinals it now does look like every spot is up for grabs. I still believe the Vikings and Packers are in some order the 3rd and 4th best teams and the Giants might be 5th best, but it's going to be a fun ride down the stretch for a lot of teams in the NFC I think.

• Like 1

The NFC North is up for grabs ... I wouldn't even rule Detroit!

I wouldn't except... are Philly just completely rubbish? Like worse than even we could possibly think? Have they given up completely, maybe tanking for a QB?

I wouldn't except... are Philly just completely rubbish? Like worse than even we could possibly think? Have they given up completely, maybe tanking for a QB?

The Eagles coach has lost the locker room by the looks of it and I reckon the owner probably wants him out too.

Detroit underperformed in the first half of the season and like Chicago, they are now starting to play well - they've got some decent weapons. If they can beat Green Bay at home next week they've got an outside chance of finishing on 9 wins ... their last 4 - @ Rams, @ New Orleans, vs 49ers, vs Chicago are all winnable.

The Packers last 5 are ... @ Detroit, vs Dallas, @ Oakland, @ Arizona then vs Minnesota ... at our best we would win at least 3 to get to 10 wins but our best only happens fleetingly these days.

The division winner may well come down to week 17 involving at least 2 teams and possibly 3 or even all 4 teams. Minnesota have also got a tough run home and your blokes have got some very winnable games in the run home. Chicago should win their next 2 for starters (vs 49ers, vs Washington)

Edited by Macca

Chip Kelly believes his system is better then player talent. He gutted philly's squad sending a lot of talent to other teams. Philly gave him the keys to the team. He is in charge and is a coach and GM. Usually that is reserved for teams like the pats who have a genius behind the wheel. Now they are pretty much screwed. You give them back the players that are gone and you could say the division could be theirs.

Are Green Bay just making the NFC North more interesting? Could come down to the vikings at Green Bay to decide it. Then again Chicago and Detroit are looking really good and could try and screw things up for me and Macca. This season just got really interesting.

• Like 1

The Panthers have now won 15 games in a row dating back to last season.

The best record in the NFC since the merger in 1970.

Panthers last loss was against Minnesota. They had no offence that day. At the start of the year they lost their best receiver to injury after losing Steve smith the year before. I thought they would struggle on offense and their D would keep them close in their weird division. They could go 16-0 and I still wouldn't rate them as highly as some other teams. Newtons numbers aren't huge but is he a chance for MVP?

Edited by cowboy_from_hell

Aside from the unfortunately all-too-normal dominance of New England, I'm loving this season of the NFL.

Seattle back to the pack. Green Bay faltering. Denver looks 50% infallible and 50% awful. Indianapolis isn't going to win the AFC South by default. Arizona, Cincinnati and Carolina are developing into powerhouses. NYJ, Oakland, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, even Tennessee are showing improvement and promise for the future.

• Like 1

Seattle have been the biggest disappointment ... they should have come out all guns blazing after blowing a SB winning chance.

Just proves once again that you've got to take your chances when those chances present themselves - unless of course they get on a run and contend again. At 5 & 5 they've got some catching up to do - that's entirely possible with their run home but they still have to get it done. They may luck-out in week 17 if Arizona have nothing to play for (I'd expect the Cardinals to secure the 2 seed - they could clinch that 2 seed in week 16 at home against Green Bay)

Detroit are the other big disappointment amongst other teams. Packers at 7 & 4 is about 1 win less than my expectations - however, losing 4 of 5 with a multiple MVP winning QB is unacceptable. If it becomes 5 of 6 the fans may riot :)

Gorgo is rightfully disappointed with his Rams whilst the 49ers fans on this thread must be quite annoyed. Atlanta promise a lot and then falls away - they can get back on track but it needs to happen now.

There's some really good stories too with the Panthers, Cinci, Vikes & Arizona. My smoky team to get "hot" at the right time are the Steelers ... the Giants with Eli could cause a bit of damage too (if, as expected, they now win their division)

• Like 1

Seattle have been the biggest disappointment ... they should have come out all guns blazing after blowing a SB winning chance.

Just proves once again that you've got to take your chances when those chances present themselves - unless of course they get on a run and contend again. At 5 & 5 they've got some catching up to do - that's entirely possible with their run home but they still have to get it done. They may luck-out in week 17 if Arizona have nothing to play for (I'd expect the Cardinals to secure the 2 seed - they could clinch that 2 seed in week 16 at home against Green Bay)

Detroit are the other big disappointment amongst other teams. Packers at 7 & 4 is about 1 win less than my expectations - however, losing 4 of 5 with a multiple MVP winning QB is unacceptable. If it becomes 5 of 6 the fans may riot :)

Gorgo is rightfully disappointed with his Rams whilst the 49ers fans on this thread must be quite annoyed. Atlanta promise a lot and then falls away - they can get back on track but it needs to happen now.

There's some really good stories too with the Panthers, Cinci, Vikes & Arizona. My smoky team to get "hot" at the right time are the Steelers ... the Giants with Eli could cause a bit of damage too (if, as expected, they now win their division)

The race for the wild card spots in the NFC is well and truly on. I still think Green Bay or Vikes have one sewn up. Seattle have a reasonable run home... As for the Falcons, huge game vs Vikes this week the loser puts themselves behind the 8 ball.. My pre season prediction of the colts for the SB now look a bit off!'

• Like 1

The race for the wild card spots in the NFC is well and truly on. I still think Green Bay or Vikes have one sewn up. Seattle have a reasonable run home... As for the Falcons, huge game vs Vikes this week the loser puts themselves behind the 8 ball.. My pre season prediction of the colts for the SB now look a bit off!'

Well, I can't remember what all my predictions were but I had Baltimore, the Saints and Dallas in there somewhere! Seattle too if I'm being honest. In the end I might only get the Pats right (and that was a no-brainer)

Why the hell chip hasn't added more north south runs with Murray at RB has me baffled.

They guy is a star and he calls runs that go east west...

Idiot.

I bought a mini panthers ball when they first came into the comp so I have a soft spot for them, enjoyed watching them spank the Cowboys.

Foles to start vs Bengals.

Gather Keenum is out with conclusion.

In classic Rams fashion I expect a good showing this week, although not the win, the Bengals need to get back in the good books.

Is it tank time if you lose this one? Go for a draft pick aiming for a QB +/- changing the Coach and GM? Or fight out the season aiming for 6-8 wins?

Vikes win thanks to AP and Matt Ryan throwing dumb picks back on top for one week only. Houston are winning and Indy have won 4 with their back up. The Broncos pats game was awesome. Heavy snow and a lot of big QB hits. I thought gronk had done his knee again but some reports say he will be ok. It didn't look good though. I'm jus gonna call fencers QB Oz cause I can't spell his name. Ox threw some beautiful deep balls late in the game and kept his composure to give Denver the lead with 1 minute left. That was too much time for Tom as they made a late FG to go to OT where Denver kept sacking and hitting Brady. Denver get the ball and run in a TD. It leaves Carolina as the best team in the NFL. Who woulda thought that at the start of the year?

• Like 1

AP was huge for the Vikes today... Atlanta need to make changes on offense and I think Shanahan has to go. Matt Ryan doesn't just lose it over night. Shanahan has ruined this offense.

Yeah AP 158 rushing yards was huge against Atlanta's #1 run defense. Your blokes move the ball really well but with injuries at running back and not much at WR it leaves a lot to Julio Jones. Matt Ryan was good until he hit the red zone. He has the most red zone turnovers in the league and he showed why today.

Big win by the Broncos today and 'Oz' (Osweiler) does look like he can play a bit ... he stands tall like Brady and seems quite assured. Denver will probably go back to Peyton when he's ready but they may not. The Broncos now hold the head to head advantage over the Pats if they both finish on equal wins.

The Vikes are just a solid football team and if they get a 2 game break on the Packers they may maintain that advantage (thus, making that week 17 match-up between the Packers and Vikes of less importance)

KC, Houston & the Jets are making a run at it and now Washington seems like they may snag the NFC East. Arizona and Cinci just keep winning - both now 9 & 2.

The Pats put everyone out of their tips this week (except JV7 who missed out with the Giants) ... 2 points to play for next week (week 13)

Leaderboard

5 - Gorgoroth, cowboy_from_ hell

4 - JV7, Georgiou R.R. Martin

2 - Macca

1 - titan_uranus

0 - The rest

• Like 1