No more Saturday 2.10pm Games!

Guest Yeats_08

Guest Yeats_08

Just read on the HUN site that the AFL is looking at scrapping he traditional Saturday 2.10pm games in favour of a later start at 3.00pm, in order to secure better TV rights deals. What are the thoughts of posters? Would this bother you too much? I don't see it as a huge problem, but having read some of the thoughts of those on bigfooty.com, people seem to be getting their knickers in a twist.

Personally, I would be all for a later start. It would allow me time to attend my own sporting commitments on a Saturday and still make it to games on time every week. Also, I think it would suit parents and families who take the kids to the footy who are otherwised rushed to make it after school sports and Saturday commitments.

The other advantage I guess is that with the game finishing just before 6pm, evening plans would be able to be tied in with the game. I see this as a positive for things like after-match functions and the like.

Here is the link - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734965&page=2

Interested in the thoughts of others regarding this issue and those expressed in the Article. Seems we should prepare for Monday night and Thursday night fixtures in 2012 as well.

Thoughts?

I think, seeing as TV stations seem to like televising from 3 or 3:30 and there is a push for live tv coverage, this is just a natural progression.

People lead very different lives to the ones they did in the days where a 2:10pm start was derived.

The actual gamedays are much different also, without the reserves match preceding.

Guest Yeats_08

I think, seeing as TV stations seem to like televising from 3 or 3:30 and there is a push for live tv coverage, this is just a natural progression.

People lead very different lives to the ones they did in the days where a 2:10pm start was derived.

The actual gamedays are much different also, without the reserves match preceding.

So i take it that like me, the change wouldn't bother you too much E25?

It's all about when people watch TV, which is not high on a saturday afternoon, regardless of the Gate Attendance.

Sad But True....The Next rights are going for close on a $$ Billion, TV stations want Maximum returns on that Cash.

(Just wait for the ad breaks....)

Guest Yeats_08

It's all about when people watch TV, which is not high on a saturday afternoon, regardless of the Gate Attendance.

Sad But True....The Next rights are going for close on a $$ Billion, TV stations want Maximum returns on that Cash.

(Just wait for the ad breaks....)

I realise why they are doing it. I think everone does. That wasn't really the intention of the OP.

So i take it that like me, the change wouldn't bother you too much E25?

Yeah, doesn't bother me one iota.

In fact, I think I prefer a 3pm start.

It means the game finishes at a time more conducive to spending some time propping up the Grey-Smith Bar.

Great place to be straight after a big win.

Guest Yeats_08

Yeah, doesn't bother me one iota.

In fact, I think I prefer a 3pm start.

It means the game finishes at a time more conducive to spending some time propping up the Grey-Smith Bar.

Great place to be straight after a big win.

Totally agree! Thats why I am all for it. There will be no more awkward time between end of the game and a night on the town. Good chance for the club to capitalise on after match energy and run functions that people are able to attend.

Totally agree! Thats why I am all for it. There will be no more awkward time between end of the game and a night on the town. Good chance for the club to capitalise on after match energy and run functions that people are able to attend.

Dumb, dumb, dumb idea. I love 2.10 pm - you can go from lunch to the game.

Its also more convenient if you have kids.

They will have to put the lights on in the second half.

Every time they compromise long held football trditions for TV the game goes down a notch.

Guest melbman

Every time they compromise long held football trditions for TV the game goes down a notch.

Cheap shot following:

I don't see how the change to Saturday times would affect the Dees, if it were a Sunday time change then................

Edit: I meant to reply to thread and not to you specifically Cranky Franky

Edited by melbman

Cheap shot following:

I don't see how the change to Saturday times would affect the Dees, if it were a Sunday time change then................

Edit: I meant to reply to thread and not to you specifically Cranky Franky

That was a good line.

Pity you fluffed it with all the other stuff!

Yep people who have kids, especially young ones will hate this.

Guest Yeats_08

Yep people who have kids, especially young ones will hate this.

Why exactly Hatchman? The games will finish at 5.45. What time are the kids meant to be in bed on a weekend? I don't have kids so I don't know much about their hours of operation, but I can't see how this greatly impacts on kids. Can you tell me what concerns you have

Why exactly Hatchman? The games will finish at 5.45. What time are the kids meant to be in bed on a weekend? I don't have kids so I don't know much about their hours of operation, but I can't see how this greatly impacts on kids. Can you tell me what concerns you have

My kids (2 and 3) are usually in bed by 7:00. If the game is finishing at 5:45, add travel time home, feeding them, bathing them and stuffing about putting them to bed, then bed time would be delayed significantly. Can't speak for others but delayed bed time in my house results in over tired and ridiculously cranky kids, and putting them to bed becomes exponentially more difficult.

I don't live in Melbourne so it's not that big a problem for me, but I can understand why those with real littlees wouldn't like it. For me I reckon 4:45 finish would make things tight enough as it was; the additional hour would probably be the difference between going and not.

Ah yes, we all kowtow to the AFL here, with some pretty silly reasons for herd-like agreement with the fraudulent fixture fixers. We hardly get any games on a Saturday as it is. But you wait, it won't be long before the same thing applies to Sunday matches.

The entire edifice of the so-called AFL 'draw' and the schedule of matches is a fraud, a contrivance, and this is just one more example of how this edifice is rigged for the benefit of TV stations and therefore 'popular' clubs like C'wood, Carlton and Essendon. It has nothing at all to do with the people who actually go to matches, does it. Saturday arvo matches will now be day/night games in the middle of winter, like those absurd and horrible Sunday twilight games of which we've had more than our fair share. We'll have games every day of the week, but will we be happier?

Since this is clearly to boost ratings for the TV stations, we might also expect Melbourne to have even fewer Saturday games than the measly number this year. The fixed-ure will be even more 'fixed' in future than it is now, and already the AFL is unable and unwilling to create a justice-for-all season fixture in which each club has an equal chance of playing in finals and gaining good gate receipts. Melbourne will have to become a super-power in the AFL before it finds itself on TV on a Saturday - or a Sunday - more than a token once or twice a season.

Kind of funny all this ... Bet London to brick the vast majority who favour achange haven't got or had young kids ! Further to that the future of our membership will come from developing a new following amongst the new gen of kids ! But hey let's make it counter friendly to new families !! Foot gun shoot :rolleyes:

Guest Yeats_08

Kind of funny all this ... Bet London to brick the vast majority who favour achange haven't got or had young kids ! Further to that the future of our membership will come from developing a new following amongst the new gen of kids ! But hey let's make it counter friendly to new families !! Foot gun shoot :rolleyes:

I posed the question what the problem for kids would be. So far only Nasher has provided an answer. Sorry Nasher, but it wasn't all that convincing. Kids are home by 7pm latest. They get dinner at the footy, they go straight to bed. What exactly is the problem. Even better, they get Macca's on the way home and they are as happy as Larry. I remember us playing games at Waverley at 2.10pm. I live in Eltham as a kid. Fair hike. I was home as late as 7.30pm. Never posed a problem for my dad. So the G to inner city means the Kiddies will eb home by 6.30pm, as opposed to 5.30pm. Why is the hour a big problem. Please someone explain the complexities of life for me, who doesn't have kids.

Edited by Yeats_08

Guest Yeats_08

Haven't got kids Yeats ?

No. Stated that repeatedly i think. Care to enlighten me how the hour will change the life of you parents for all eternity?

Edited by Yeats_08

When you have kids ESP youngens 4-8 you have your hands full. They are very much up... Or down . You, if sensible attempt routines . Kids need sleep ... Lots. M

Nasher pretty well explained it . There's a vast difference between getting kids into bed at 7 v 8 or later. If you have a young family and still attemp a social life you'll

want those kids settled before visitors or visiting etc

My kids (2 and 3) are usually in bed by 7:00. If the game is finishing at 5:45, add travel time home, feeding them, bathing them and stuffing about putting them to bed, then bed time would be delayed significantly. Can't speak for others but delayed bed time in my house results in over tired and ridiculously cranky kids, and putting them to bed becomes exponentially more difficult.

I don't live in Melbourne so it's not that big a problem for me, but I can understand why those with real littlees wouldn't like it. For me I reckon 4:45 finish would make things tight enough as it was; the additional hour would probably be the difference between going and not.

Yep that pretty much sums up my situation as well, although I have just the one kid. Kids at that age need a strict routine, pretty much from when they can go a whole night without a feed actually, because as Nasher says they get cranky, don't want to go to sleep etc....

I live a long way from Melbourne which is the reason why I have not been to a game with my kid since she was born but plan to next year. But this new time will make me rethink that

I usually get to the Saturday arvo games around 1:00pm & eat lunch. If the game starts at 3:00, it looks like lunch at home & then off to the footy.

A 3:00 pm start won't present me with any problems.

What concerns me however; are the later time changes requested by television. Unfortunately, the consumer has no say because of the money. A day game in the future, will not exist, culminating in a night grand final.

We can complain ALL we like, but as die hard supporters, we will adapt.