PRAISING PURPLE

Demonland

Billy, Roost It, Jaded, you all make sense to me. If you disagree with each other - well sort it out between yourselves. The reality is, there's usually not much between most opinions here when it comes to selections, but the one or two differences become very contentious, and IMO probably get blown out of proportion. But that's a forum for you!

I reckon the PJ / Cheney / Maric / Morton / MacDonald differences at the fringe will drive most debate this week. Bail & Warnock seem to be in more favour with the majority, and me too.

What seems to happen is the debate conjures up a ship-load of changes, while the reality dishes up just one or two. Good luck to the one or two this week, and the other 21 or 20. And even if the selectors aren't there to win, the team and us sure need to turn up like we are. If you step on that field, make sure you intend to win or die trying!!

Go Dees!!!!!

I'm amazed that I'm saying this, but Trengove is a decent out.

Hurts our chances.

I'm hoping to see Joel Mac, PJ and Cheney or Morton left out.

WTF. You can't be serious. This bloke is a jet and for his first 40 odd games you would have been more than happy to have him in. Short memories round here!

Bail deserves his chance surely???

I didn't notice Bennel doing much last week. I think he should be omitted. Who to would replace him, I'm not so sure

Wow. I was at a different game. He didn't get 35 touches if that's what you mean but every time he goes near it he created something. He was quick and dangerous and created pressure on the opposition. Watch him closely and you will be surprised. Another who is too quickly criticised IMO...

MELBOURNE

Backs Colin Garland Jared Rivers Clint Bartram

Half backs Jordie McKenzie James Frawley Cameron Bruce

Centreline Jamie Bennell Nathan Jones Brad Green

Half forwards Lynden Dunn Jack Watts Tom Scully

Forwards Colin Sylvia Matthew Bate Liam Jurrah

Followers Mark Jamar Brent Moloney Aaron Davey

Interchange (from) Rohan Bail Addam Maric Matthew Warnock Cale Morton

In: Rohan Bail Cale Morton Matthew Warnock Adam Maric

Out: Jack Trengove (hip), Kyle Cheney Paul Johnson Joel Macdonald

Bail deserves a spot more than most, Morton is the future and Subi is big, suiting his long accurate kicking and general floating around. Warnock needs a chance to prove he isn't a one trick pony. Maric, well apparently he's a gun, at least so I thought myself, so let's play him and see what he's made of.

As for Cheney, Johnson and Macdonald. Let's face it none are premiership players and that's what we're chasing.

I think PJ will stay purely because Jamar needs support. He cannot carry it all on his own and given the size of Subi we would destroy him if he had to do it one up. We want this bloke around for years to come, we don't want to work him into the ground (a la Josh Fraser) and then he is done by 28 or 29. If that means playing PJ until Gawn, Fitzpatrick and co are ready then so be it. Sylvia is too valuable elsewhere. And Dunn's hard tag on their best midfielder is too useful at the momoent to have it broken by him going up in the ruck.

Cale is from WA. It's amazing how many players get selected because they are playing their old club or back in their home state etc. Look at our Darwin game.....

(altho Brock got dropped for the game against the Dees:( )

I suppose it had nothing to do with his form at Casey.

I assume you can't be serious.

He is, but I want the club to push him to be better than he is already.

He gets by on all the things he does well, but I think he could be

better at this stage.

Sometimes denying a player a game and making him work at aspects of his game in the VFL, makes them a better player in the long run.

He is, but I want the club to push him to be better than he is already.

He gets by on all the things he does well, but I think he could be

better at this stage.

Sometimes denying a player a game and making him work at aspects of his game in the VFL, makes them a better player in the long run.

Let's have the same conversation across threads. :D

I don't disagree with the basic premise of relegation to the VFL for players who are not performing at the required standard, but how long do you leave him there for? He's been there for two weeks - I think it gets to a point where you need to get your best players back in to the side. What further lessons will he learn in the VFL this week that he did not get last week, or the week before?

I did not see Cale's last game at Casey, but

my understanding is that it was good without being outstanding.

Although, in my mind this is not exactly the point - dominating isn't the issue.

I'd leave him there until he learns to consistently do what the coaching staff is asking of him.

That is making a huge assumption that they have asked him to go back and work on a particular aspect of his game.

They could have just dropped him purely under the broad umbrella of "form".

(Sorry to cross threads, but it related to people questioning my being open to leaving Morton out of the side.)

That is making a huge assumption that they have asked him to go back and work on a particular aspect of his game.

They could have just dropped him purely under the broad umbrella of "form".

I think a factor when he was dropped could have been that morton and grimes were effectivley doubling up on the creative halfback position. I think they may be wanting him to come back as a half forward, becasue this year we've had grimes, garland and rivers fit (didnt have this often if at all last year) so there is less room for him to play in the backline