Garland Injured

Ryan Dee

While a jarred knee is probably the best we could have expected in the circumstances I think Colin should be rested this week to ensure that he's 100% for the following game.

On 'The Winners' this evening Dwayne Russell said Col was likely to miss one or two weeks.

You think he's looked as quick as he did pre-injury?

I don't.

I do yes.

I think there is a difference between losing physical speed, and trying to catch up to the pace of the game after a long lay off.

He hasn't had a pre-season and played 1.5 VFL games before being thrown straight back into the side.

What he needs is time and confidence in his body again.

I do yes.

I think there is a difference between losing physical speed, and trying to catch up to the pace of the game after a long lay off.

He hasn't had a pre-season and played 1.5 VFL games before being thrown straight back into the side.

What he needs is time and confidence in his body again.

Accurate summation.

I do yes.

Whichever way you look at it, I think it's hard to see that he is.

First, any athlete that has that much time off is unlikely, at this point in recovery/come back, to be as fit as they were pre-injury. Players constantly talk about not being at their physical peak after an interrupted pre-season, and Garland's had what - an interrupted 18+ months? Most people take quite a while to get back to 100%.

Second, as I think you're suggesting in the rest of the post, missing that much sport means you're probably not as 'match fit' as you were previously.

Anyway, it seems like he might miss a couple. I'd still take it (I feared something much worse), although he's a handy defender to have against the forwards of Carlton and Collingwood. Still, it gives someone else an opportunity. Cheney must be hoping for a call-up, after pretty solid form in the VFL over a number of weeks.

That's about as good as we could have hoped for.

I agree with sylvinator when he says that it's likely to be next year when Garland really starts playing some good footy again - he missed a heap of football with his foot injury.

Also agree- upside will be fantastic next year.

Or Strauss.

bing181 strauss hasn't been one of the best performers at VFL level consistently. Cheney has. I'd love to see Strauss work his way back into the side because we could really use his kicking ability. However he hasn't earnt his place yet, and Cheney would deserve a shot ahead of him.

Strauss also needs to work on his defensive skills. I particularly remember two times where he gave his direct opponent in the Collingwood loss far too much space which resulted in two goals i believe. Until that improves, he keeps learning in the 2's