• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brian Lake?

w00dy

According to Footy Classified, Melbourne has made an offer to Brian Lake... Seemed to be that the offer would be for him to enter the Pre-Season Draft where we would collect him at Pick 1...

Thoughts? Pretty happy to get him for free... Would be great publicity for us, and would create a buzz around the place next season... We obviously have the money in the cap, to cash him up over the next couple of years...

If we get him to agree, you'd think we'd look at trading Warnock or Rivers beforehand perhaps...

Edited by QueenC

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Footy Classified, Melbourne has made an offer to Brian Lake... Seemed to be that the offer would be for him to enter the Pre-Season Draft where we would collect him at Pick 1...

Thoughts? Pretty happy to get him for free... Would be great publicity for us, and would create a buzz around the place next season... We obviously have the money in the cap, to cash him up over the next couple of years...

If we get him to agree, you'd think we'd look at trading Warnock or Rivers beforehand perhaps...

Personally, Lake would be a great pick up for our club. But. To totally screw over a club like the Bulldogs, does not sit well with me. If it was Carlton or Collingwood, definately. I know it is early days, but I think we are on the right track with our backline as it is imho. Do we want players who will sell out to the highest bidders?

I heard that, and the question is, why would we need him?

We've got much bigger holes than our defence.

Agree!

We need to direct the cheque book to a gun fwd or mid.

Not that we'd get Lake anyway...Until we get off the bottom, why would players want to come to Melbourne?

The Age reports that we're one of 3 clubs chasing the speedy Brett Peake from Freo. He'd be a handy recruit if we could trade no more than a 3rd rounder for him, or even via the PSD.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Yeah i was a bit shocked when i heard that as well, i mean i like him as a player, but i don't think he is the best fit. And as they said on Classified, why would he want to go from a top 4 team to a team ranked 16.

Seems out of place, but not calling Caro a liar, because her and Gary are the only reason i watch that show.

Personally, Lake would be a great pick up for our club. But. To totally screw over a club like the Bulldogs, does not sit well with me.

The Bulldogs have said that they won't trade him... I don't think we'd be screwing them over by telling Lake how much we'd offer him if he were to enter the PSD... If he's determined to go for a better deal, then I'm sure the Dogs could broker a trade deal if they so wish... If they don't then it's their own fault they get nothing for him...

the guy is 28 next year(feb)...he's to old for gold coast...he's just had a baby...the man is looking for the highest bidder to top up his pension and sure up his families future.

If we got him it would be awesome. He would automatically become the best player at our club.

He's a certain All Australian this year in my opinion... we dont' have a player that is currently in the top 50 players in the afl.

If he's happy to come to Melbourne through the PSD maybe we could then trade Warnock with pick 34 to Carlton for pick 11. That would free up the Full back position, Warnock could play with his brother at Carlton giving them another key defender which they need and also give us a 4th pick in the top 20!

Could speed up our improvement. Who knows with a good injury run with Lake at FB we could even challenge for 7th or 8th a year early?

Caro is clutching at straws, she has been told a porkie.

None of it makes sense for MFC.

- He's too old - by the time we get close to challenging for anything he'll be ready to retire.

- The backline is our strongest and deepest area of the team

- He'll take the spot of a young developing player that WILL be around when we next challenge for the big prize

- The only way we could get him to cross over in the PSD would be if we sign him for big money, which we can't really afford right now

not sure if i like this. he's old andthe one thing we do have is key defendrs. why blow stacks of cas on something we dont really need. throw it the way of a young key forward or young future super star... tippett or even a dangerfield or cotchin or joel selwood

I highly doubt this is true, but as soon as I heard it, I thought if it did eventuate, does that mean we'll look to trade one of our key defenders for a higher pick? Bad move, I think.

If we got him it would be awesome. He would automatically become the best player at our club.

He's a certain All Australian this year in my opinion... we dont' have a player that is currently in the top 50 players in the afl.

happy to take him via the PSD. no arguments there. imo was trying to point out some of his motivations for chasing coin. trying to think out of the square :)

for quartermain makes point of a $150.000 offer more from hawks- then rocket states well it must be $600.000..

A BIT OVER THE TOP ME THINKS..

If we've got the money, why not spend it? We're not going to spend it on any of our other players in the next 2 years... When his next contract comes up, he's 30, and unlikely to jump ship again, and we can negotiate a reasonable contract... If he does leave, well we could trade him and get something decent for him anyway...

<br>$500.000 plus maybe $600.000.<br>as rodney eade already stated he has been offered $450.000 tonight..<br><br>for quartermain makes point of a $150.000 offer more from hawks- then rocket states well it must be $600.000..<br><br>A BIT OVER THE TOP ME THINKS..<br>
<br><br>hawks money doesn't mean much as they can't do the deal...unless dogs trade...which the dogs have said no...at this point in time he can only come to melb via psd or stay at the dogs...<br>

I dont think we will be that far from challenging for a Premiership than what people think.

We finished wooden in 1997. We played in the 2000 Grand Final. Thats the same as Collingwood and other teams too if you look at history.

Lake is a genuine full back and does not carry the burden of injuries. Just turning 28 isnt that old either. Not of his talent.

Maybe Garlands injury is more career threatening than we know about. ????

Maybe we might trade Jamar & Rivers to Hawthorn or Port for there 1st round and 2nd round picks to recruit key forwards. ????

Personally, I like the idea of getting Lake. Especially through the PSD. He is a gun!

Correct me if im wrong here!

But doesnt every team have to be over a certain number in the percentage area each year?

Wouldnt having Robbo, Whelan and Wheatley leave a big whole in the total percentage of the salery cap? meaning we have a lot of dosh we NEED to spend.

Sure we have a developing list but many have not done enough to warrant big contract extensions YET meaning our salary cap expense would be very similar for a year or two needing a big payed player to fill the void?

If there was other big name players that probably fill the void in more needed positions, im sure we would be after them more but it seems Lake might be the only one worth that sort of money to add to the list.

Because he is the only one, maybe we have to get him to stay out of trouble for having an under paid salary cap?

Maybe a 2 year contract? to fill the void till our players develop into the bigger contracts they hopefully deserve?

I could be FULLY wrong here so please dont flame

If that was correct, it would be a good move by the club and someones trade proposal of Warnock and pick 18 or 34 to Carlton for pick 11 would be a desired move which i think we could pull off with yep the brothers and the fact Carlton are screaming for someone like him in their backline but could not possible pay Brian Lake , Lake money?

If so, i think this would be great with basically a swap of Warnock for Lake but we also have another high draft pick to develop!

Makes sense to me and actually a GREAT idea for the club....

Edited by mousey