Relocated Home Games for $$$$$

H_T

Canberra or Geelong?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This was suggested on SEN this morning on KB's show. Why does Melbourne insist on going to the nations capital for the Dollars with moving a game(s) to Manuka in Canberra. Why not take a home game or two to Geelong and yet still get the dollars! Or better still satisfy Melbourne based members by having one game scheduled at Skilled Stadium where many MFC members find it easier to get to, the other in Canberra.

Your thoughts?

This was suggested on SEN this morning on KB's show. Why does Melbourne insist on going to the nations capital for the Dollars with moving a game(s) to Manuka in Canberra. Why not take a home game or two to Geelong and yet still get the dollars! Or better still satisfy Melbourne based members by having one game scheduled at Skilled Stadium where many MFC members find it easier to get to, the other in Canberra.

Your thoughts?

I think the first thing we need to look at is a better deal at the 'G. Some Saturday games would be nice.

Might even lodge a land rights claim in the Federal Court, as we were the "original owners".

Seriously, out of the options provided, I would welcome one at Kardinia Park, and until the new GC team is place, why not one up there to continue to promote AFL until the new team comes into being.

Especially since North dropped the ball on this one

Canberra is neutral whereas selling a game to Geelong is essentially selling 4 points.

Geelong has zero potential for growing our fan base, although I dont rate it myself you could argue Canberra is a potential growth area.

Most fans problem with selling the Brisbane game was that it gave away a huge home ground advantage and its arguable the sale of that game cost a top 4 spot. I think MFC members would be more concerned with winning than having an opportunity to make the journey out to Skilled and a game in Canberra is much more winnable than a game in Geelong.

From a costs perspective, it is an interesting idea if (and only if) it was used as a "boutique" stadium at which to play an interstate side. No value for playing Geelong there.

The problem is, if our supporters won't even travel to Telstra Dome, what hope is there for them crossing the West Gate?

For the simple reason of growth potential, the Casey Fields option seems to be a better one in the medium term if it can get off the ground.

Your thoughts?

Why on Earth would the AFL give us money to play in Geelong ? The reason they throw $ at clubs to move home games is to promote the game in emerging markets - Canberra, Darwin, Queensland etc.

The whole premise of this discussion is wrong.

We're going to get the same $ for a game in Geelong as we are in the ACT?

That would be up to the AFL. And if the Dees were to get $300-$400K for a game at Skilled would you prefer that rather than Canberra?

I immediately thought they were talking about selling home games as per the Lions deal. Playing games at a boutique stadium and selling home games are different issues.

This doesnt sound like its selling anything, its simply playing our home games at Skilled and bearing the risks associated with that. If we fill the place great, if its half empty we're left with a bill to pay. The AFL wouldnt give MFC $400k to play at Skilled, there is nothing in it for them.

There are defenite benefits to using a boutique stadium, not Geelong's though, its the Cats home ground and its surrounded by one-eyed Cats fans. Its needs to be somewhere unaligned like Casey where people will come along simply cause its an AFL game in the area and we have the potential to grow a fan base there.

At the moment being paid $400k to play in Canberra and still have that potential to grow a supporter base seems like a winner to me. Skilled offers neither of those options.

You would think so. That would be up to the AFL. And if the Dees were to get $300-$400K for a game at Skilled would you prefer that rather than Canberra?

Why would you think so? I wouldn't think so. I don't think the AFL would, either. Has any team ever been offered big bucks to play at SS? Has the AFL indicated they'd ever do this? It's hardly 'growing the game' in the same way that playing matches in the ACT or on the Gold Coast is.

Simply asking people's thoughts on the topic of relocated home games. Its not that hard. You can't imply that its wrong. But that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

"...for $$$$$". Relocating games to ACT for $$$$$ and choosing to play some games at SS seem to be two very different propositions.

I immediately thought they were talking about selling home games as per the Lions deal. Playing games at a boutique stadium and selling home games are different issues.

Exactly. I think this poll is like comparing apples with oranges.

Choosing to host some Victorian games at SS instead of the MCG is a totally different premise to getting paid $400,000 to 'grow the game' and play matches in the ACT.

If we could choose to relocate home games to either SS or ACT for a comparable return, it'd make sense to throw up a poll like this, but I don't think this is the case.

Guest melbman
Also where did the 2 games come from?

Im fairly sure Stynes came out some time ago and said we would only be persuing 1 home game out of Melbourne if any at all.

The 2 games in Canberra was Maccas idea. Jim canned it and gagged Macca. The rest is history

If we could choose to relocate home games to either SS or ACT for a comparable return, it'd make sense to throw up a poll like this, but I don't think this is the case.

That is exactly what this poll is about, choosing to sell home games to either Geelong or Canberra for a comparable return.

And the votes are coming in...

That is exactly what this poll is about, choosing to relocate home games to either Geelong or Canberra for a comparable return.

We are not relocating home games to Canberra, we are selling them.

You cannot compare relocating games to Geelong or selling them to Canberra for a comporable return because no such scenario exists, it would be one or the other for significantly different returns.

Im banging my head against a brick wall arent I?

Your thoughts?

I think Jimmy's made it pretty clear that we'll be playing at the G. The G's our home and playing all around the country is never going to give us long term stability or generate new paid up members. Get all our games at the G and some of our away games , close the top deck and watch the dolloars roll in.

I think Jimmy's made it pretty clear that we'll be playing at the G. The G's our home and playing all around the country is never going to give us long term stability or generate new paid up members. Get all our games at the G and some of our away games , close the top deck and watch the dolloars roll in.

That would be the best outcome and the most preferred. But if you had the choice of selling home games at Canberra or Geelong, and the AFL gave approval, where would you rather the team go?

Casey!!!

Even if it started with relatively little infrastructure and was early in the season (when the weather was more likely to be favourable), this would be the go.

We'd be able to revert to suburban football (although MFC members have never experienced the feeling of a suburban home ground unless, with trepidation, it was the opposition's!).

While a boutique stadium would cost $30-$50 million, a couple of million might see the facility upgraded to a standard where AFL football could be played.

I stood for years at the footy......now MFC members could get that opportunity too for one match a season!

It would also reinforce even more a relationship between the Casey community and MFC.