Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/india-board-president-n-srinivasan-may-be-crickets-most-destructive-figure/story-fn67wltq-1226636632524

The BCCI really are staring to get out of hand!

Kerry Packer stood up to the ICC back in the 70's, not only for his own good but for what was in the best interests of the game. And I reckon it's time that someone with the financial backing and balls came out and stood up to the BCCI.

I'd love to see a 6 nations breakaway from the BCCI led ICC. Australia, England, New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland and I'd love West Indies (but doubt as their financially tied to the ICC) so maybe USA (shorter forms of the game only) to start their own cricket calender comp. Something needs to happen to get the balance of power right, India are calling all the shots and this isn't good for the game, all nations need to have equal say in how the game is run and clearly this doesn't happen.

Australia, England, New Zealand & South Africa have shown that their willing to vote against India in many matters already so they're the 4 most obvious nations to lead this breakaway. Ireland are clearly at least equal to, if not better then either of Bangladesh or Zimbabwe they we should get them involved and the USA should be looked at also at least for the short formats of the game to try and generate revenue through TV over there with their market.

I have no doubt this would be a very difficult thing to attempt and pull off, but something has to give as Tim May says himself, there is a clear cancer currently in the ICC. I just wonder who the white knight could be or if there ever will be one?

Australia, England, NZ and South Africa are also beholden to the BCCI to a fairly large extent; they all want series' versus India because that's where the money is.

You're not wrong there Rogue. That's why the only way something like the breakaway that I'm talking about to happen would be if they tapped into a market like USA or China where there's money. USA I reckon would be the best bet.

It may require some type of concession to allow USA to be competative. For example USA are allowed to field 1 player from each of Australia, NZ, RSA & England who's under 23 who's not in their countries best XI. Would give that player some international experience and also help USA be somewhat competative while still getting to play 7 natives in their XI.

I know it's a long shot, but something drastic will need to happen to end the BCCI's xurrently monopoly on the game.

Channel 9 in danger of losing the cricket

Nine's deal gives the network the last rights of refusal - effectively, a chance to match any bid from rival networks to televise cricket. Ten's offer, reported as $500m over five years by the Australian Financial Review, trumps the $45m paid annually by Nine to cover international cricket for the past seven years.

THE Nine Network will decide whether to match a $500 million offer for cricket television rights while being taken to court by Cricket Australia. The Ten offer is believed to value international cricket at $80m a year and domestic rights at $20m annually.

But just where the Big Bash League sits in the scheme of things is the centre of CA's legal action against Nine. The competition wasn't played at the time of the last deal, with CA wanting a legal ruling on if it should be included in Nine's 'last rights' deal.

... Nine: better the devil you know

Still, Nine is fighting to impose its right to match any offer for the cricket rights. We've not always been grateful for their bombast, over-analysis and crosses to the evening news at a vital moment in the final session. But, with some disturbing alternatives in mind, you can't help hoping Nine can show Cricket Australia the money.

Edited by Macca

I tend to think that the coverage is probably going to be better if it sticks on Channel 9. However, if Ten forces a split in the deal and we see more cricket on FTA I think that'll be good for the game. I remember watching the domestic ODIs on TV when I was a kid and that helped fuel/maintain my interest in cricket.

The old better the devil you know thought process. But I agree, I think Channel 9 do a good job and want it to stay there, but more cricket on FTATV is only a good thing.

I must say I like this idea:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ca-ponders-oneday-carnival-20130509-2jant.html

Would certainly help build interest over the month of October heading into the international season which normally kicks off late November. I reckon a 4 week carnival type season would work well. Although I'd og thought they may have to bring back the Canberra Commets so everyone gets 6 games (3 home & away).

The old better the devil you know thought process. But I agree, I think Channel 9 do a good job and want it to stay there, but more cricket on FTATV is only a good thing.

I must say I like this idea:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ca-ponders-oneday-carnival-20130509-2jant.html

Would certainly help build interest over the month of October heading into the international season which normally kicks off late November. I reckon a 4 week carnival type season would work well. Although I'd og thought they may have to bring back the Canberra Commets so everyone gets 6 games (3 home & away).

Yeah, I reckon the idea has merit. Helps give another form of the game it's own 'season'. It's an ideal way to start the summer of cricket. I'm not a big fan of the 50 over format but that October window could give it a good kick along.

So we'd have the domestic one day series followed by 3 Shield games in preparation for the Tests in Nov/Dec. Then we'd get the Big Bash right through the Holiday period along with the ODI's. Finishing off with the Shield season. Little bit more streamlined.

England all out for 232 in the 1st Test against New Zealand. We need those Kiwi's to knock their confidence around a bit hey? New Zealand 1 for 5 in reply ... lost a wicket as I was writing this post - typical!

Edit: We play England in 5 x ODI's from mid to late January (2014) Possibly followed by 2 or 3 T20 Internationals.

Edited by Macca

• 2 weeks later...

Kane Williamson is such a talent but he simply has to learnt to tick the runs over.

Regularly he bats out 30/40+ deliveries only to be undone. Too often that's for about 5-10. He needs to tick the runs over to relieve pressure and place it on the opposition captain.

I shudder to think what Broad and Anderson will do to our meek batting line up. We have to pray Starc, Cummins and Pattinson stay fit!

He is a talent Williamson. I reckon they'll be alright the Kiwis, if they can unearth a bowler or two they'll get back to the type of cricket they played under Fleming and will be more then capable of giving us a run for our money.

Ashes will be very interesting. I hope our top 3 consists of Cowan, Rogers & Khawaja, three guys that have good defences and put a high price on their wicket then allowing the likes of Clarke, Watson, Warner and Haddin an easier time against the older ball,

Can't wait till it all gets underway!

... Ricky Ponting won't rule out Ashes series recall

"You wouldn't say no, would you, if that call came and I would never say never," Ponting said.

"If Michael Clarke wants to run anything by me he knows where I am. There's nothing official in place but I'll only be down the road," he said.

From the source:

‘Mate, they will have reserve batsmen around should anything like that happen so I don’t think they will be needing me. You wouldn’t say no, would you, if that call came and I would never say never, but you have to say a call-up like that now is extremely unlikely.’

[...]

‘This was the series I was playing on for without a doubt,’ admitted Ponting. ‘I felt Australia would have been a stronger side in this Ashes with both me and Mike Hussey in the side.

The Ashes are the pinnacle and England is the greatest tour to be on. But the bottom line is I just wasn’t good enough any more to be a part of this team. I knew that. Hussey is missing because of different circumstances and I’m surprised he’s not here but I know how hard it can be to keep on touring with a young family. As for me, my time had just come. I knew it so I had to bow out against South Africa. It’s down to the young lads now.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2332348/Ricky-Ponting-Interview-Surreys-new-signing-England-Australia-The-Ashes.html#ixzz2Uhi3ycsG

... Channel Nine's board has granted its senior managers clearance to go ahead and clinch the rich cricket broadcasting rights for the next five years.

Whatever the outcome with the rights to broadcast international cricket in Australia, Ten is set to land the Twenty20 Big Bash League on a package worth $20 million a year, pinching the short format tournament from Fox Sports.

Changes passed in Parliament will make Fawad Ahmed eligible to represent the country in the Ashes series.

A chance?

Fly him over ASAP I say.

I agree. It's at least healthy competition for Nathan Lyon.

The commentators in the 2 England/New Zealand tests were of the opinion that the wickets were quite dry for that time of year. They went on to say that Swann would really trouble the Australians if the wickets presented during the Ashes series were just as dry (or drier) Another good reason why Fawad could be added to the squad.

Apart from anything else, we need some sort of X factor in order to compete well in the series. Of course, if our batting doesn't improve substantially, we're in a bit of strife.

In other news ... Taylor calls for Watson to be Ashes opener

"I think Chris Rogers is right in the frame to open the batting. If I was a selector I would be looking at having Shane Watson as an opener as well.

Edited by Macca

I agree. It's at least healthy competition for Nathan Lyon.

The commentators in the 2 England/New Zealand tests were of the opinion that the wickets were quite dry for that time of year. They went on to say that Swann would really trouble the Australians if the wickets presented during the Ashes series were just as dry (or drier) Another good reason why Fawad could be added to the squad.

Apart from anything else, we need some sort of X factor in order to compete well in the series. Of course, if our batting doesn't improve substantially, we're in a bit of strife.

In other news ... Taylor calls for Watson to be Ashes opener

g'day Macca.

Taylor calls for Watson to be Ashes opener ,,, this is what, (sort of) I was saying ages back, to have Watson open, & drop Warner down to 3, or middle order.

I imagine Warner playing a Boon type role @ 3,,, or to bolster the middle order for quick runs, or a steadying hand.

... do you know what the English wickets are like when they're dry? do they bounce? or do they still seam?

Edited by dee-luded

g'day Macca.

Taylor calls for Watson to be Ashes opener ,,, this is what, (sort of) I was saying ages back, to have Watson open, & drop Warner down to 3, or middle order.

I imagine Warner playing a Boon type role @ 3,,, or to bolster the middle order for quick runs, or a steadying hand.

... do you know what the English wickets are like when they're dry? do they bounce? or do they still seam?

WJ summed it up well in the above post, 'dl'

Swann is going to be a handful regardless of the conditions. He looked in great form in those 2 tests.

The English commentators were also not exactly complimentary towards Nathan Lyon. I was quite surprised with that attitude because I believe he's quite a decent bowler and their batsmen won't want to underestimate him. Whilst not in Swann's class he's quite capable and can turn the ball.

Anyway it's looking almost certain that Fawad Ahmed will join the Ashes squad after being called up for the Australia 'A' squad (currently in England) ... Ahmed's call-up a 'dream come true'

"I came here because there was a question [mark] on my life, there were people raising a finger on my life. I just came here for the better life, to just survive here and be like other people, other immigrants. But this is a dream," he said.

Edited by Macca

WJ summed it up well in the above post, 'dl'

Swann is going to be a handful regardless of the conditions. He looked in great form in those 2 tests.

The English commentators were also not exactly complimentary towards Nathan Lyon. I was quite surprised with that attitude because I believe he's quite a decent bowler and their batsmen won't want to underestimate him. Whilst not in Swann's class he's quite capable and can turn the ball.

Anyway it's looking almost certain that Fawad Ahmed will join the Ashes squad after being called up for the Australia 'A' squad (currently in England) ... Ahmed's call-up a 'dream come true'

nothin' worse than Cocky Poms... accept maybe a cocky & crowing Kennett, in a crimson & satin dinner jacket...

Well it's not too good to see Warner having a late night altercation with Root of England and being stood down from the Black Caps game. Will he be sent home? That would be extreme one would suggest but it apparently by reports remains an option.

Nice to see the boys are having such a great time over there........

Culture anyone? Or just another case closed "one-off"?

Anyway on a good note, it's good to see my earlier good mail on Fawad Ahmed coming to fruition. He's just about rubber stamped for citizenship and already in England.

I'm hoping he can turn it around a few Poms, it will make the liquid amber and intake of northern hemisphere Vitamin D rays all the more satisfying whilst I'm over there.

• Like 1

I've seen his highlights and read the opinions of Queensland and the VICS. He was very impressive against Queensland in the S/Shield (or whatever they call it now). Yes he hasn't played much but whilst at the crease he presents a heap of chances according to his colleagues and is consistent with good control.

If he gets a chance, hopefully he will make the most of it.

Two things of note.

1. Fawad Ahmed MUST be included in the Ashes squad and in my opinion should be given first crackahead of Lyon. Australia have always been at their best when playing an attacking leg spinner. Warne, MacGill, Benaud, O'Reilly, Grimmett etc.... Not the defensive spinners such as Lyon, Bright and Peter Taylor. A four pronged bowling attack of Pattinson (spear head), Bird (into the wind, McGrath type), Siddle, Starc or Harris as our dangerous first change bowler and then the leg spin of Fawad Ahmed should ask the English XI plenty of questions.

2. David Warner is loosing the plot and it sounds to me like the man is becoming to big for his own boots and needs to pull his head in. It's not all about him. Personally I'd be sending him home for the remainder of the Champions trophy and the English leg of The Ashes. Tell him to play some county cricket and Shield cricket later in the year. If he can knuckle down, keep his head down and make some runs then he may be able to get his spot back for the home series. Get George Bailey to replace him in the middle order at 5 or 6 for the English series.

Well it's not too good to see Warner having a late night altercation with Root of England and being stood down from the Black Caps game. Will he be sent home? That would be extreme one would suggest but it apparently by reports remains an option.

Nice to see the boys are having such a great time over there........

Culture anyone? Or just another case closed "one-off"?

Anyway on a good note, it's good to see my earlier good mail on Fawad Ahmed coming to fruition. He's just about rubber stamped for citizenship and already in England.

I'm hoping he can turn it around a few Poms, it will make the liquid amber and intake of northern hemisphere Vitamin D rays all the more satisfying whilst I'm over there.

last chance saloon... beers & blows = $10,000.00

go over your budget, & turn the lights out on your way home !!!