• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brisbane v Melbourne - Match Preview

Demonland

OH AND FIVE by JVM

I read earlier this week that only one team in the history of VFL/AFL has ever made it to the finals after a 0-5 start to the season. That team was Collingwood and the year was 1959 - immediately after the Magpies had shocked the football world when they prevented Melbourne from equalling their record of four consecutive premierships. In those days, Melbourne and Collingwood ruled the roost, but the irony today is that they are both clubs which, in their own ways, are going through crisis in a changed football environment.

Is it possible for a team these days to recover from a 0-5 start and become a finals contender? Theoretically, it should be a lot easier these days because back in 1959, there was only a final four and now we have a final eight. However, times have changed so much and the attitudes of clubs and coaches are so different that it's hard to see a team like Melbourne, whose start to the season has been so poor, pulling itself up by the bootstraps to manage the minimum of 12 wins out of 17 now needed to achieve that feat (actually, it's hard to see them winning one game but I'm discussing the bigger picture here).

I reflected upon this when I read the names in the squad of 25 selected to play for Melbourne against Brisbane at the Gabba this Sunday. I had been wondering how the selectors might react after five weeks of soul-destroying losses with little relief apparently on the horizon. Would they finally wield the axe as clubs used to do in the "old days"? Somewhere in the back of my mind I recalled a time (in the 'seventies?) when the selectors were so savage on the team after a run of bad defeats that they made seven changes to the line up which resulted in a stunning form reversal with the side giving North Melbourne an absolute flogging at Arden Street. The message delivered at the selection table was enough to bring a reaction back then and I thought that might perhaps happen this week after such a disastrous 0-5 start to the season.

Silly me; I was wrong!

The days of selection panels wielding the axe are dead and buried. There were only two omissions from the side that went down to Carlton (which ironically broke its record equalling losing streak with consecutive wins against Collingwood and Melbourne). Both "outs" were forced upon the club; David Neitz courtesy of a neck injury and Matthew Whelan thanks to an indiscretion in the goal square on Brendan Fevola. So despite losing by 33 points to lowly Carlton (the team they thrashed in Round 22 last year), the Melbourne selectors could not find a single player to drop at Thursday's selection table. The message from the selectors seems to be that they will not necessarily punish players or the team for mediocrity and that is shameful.

And the club isn't playing the kids yet because neither of the "ins" is a newcomer to the team this season. I'm not suggesting that Colin Garland shouldn't have been rewarded for his special performance for Sandringham last week but what I say is that, the selection policy suggests certain calmness about the current situation. That might be a good thing from the selectors' point of view but, many would look on it as a steady as she goes approach even while the Titanic carrying the club and its fortunes might well be sinking into the abyss.

Then again, we were promised a review after round six, but the problem with that is that nobody in the history of the VFL/AFL has ever made the finals from 0-6.

THE GAME

Brisbane v. Melbourne at the Gabba, Sunday 27 April 2008 at 1.10pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Brisbane 13 wins Melbourne 17 wins

At the Gabba Brisbane 9 wins Melbourne 5 wins

Since 2000 Brisbane 5 wins Melbourne 3 wins

The Coaches Matthews 0 wins Bailey 0 wins

MEDIA

TV - Fox Sports 1 live at 1.00pm

RADIO - 774ABC SEN

THE BETTING Brisbane to win $1.10 Melbourne to win $5.85

LAST TIME THEY MET Brisbane 18.18.126 defeated Melbourne 12.10.82, Round 15, 2007, at the Gabba

The Lions opened up like a house on fire thanks mainly to the dominance of Jonathan Brown who was too strong for a flatfooted Melbourne defence. By quarter time it was all over red rover with the so-called "away" side heading the visiting team by 6.5.41 to a solitary goal.

Confused?

The Demons certainly were because it was an all too familiar opening for them. Later, a feisty effort from Aaron Davey with four goals and some strong work from Brock McLean prevented this game from becoming a total devastating experience for the club.

THE TEAMS

BRISBANE LIONS

Backs Michael Rischitelli Daniel Merrett Jared Brennan

Half Backs Joel Macdonald Joel Patfull Cheynee Stiller

Centreline Jed Adcock Travis Johnstone Anthony Corrie

Half Forwards Rhan Hooper Jonathan Brown Tim Notting

Forwards Justin Sherman Daniel Bradshaw Matthew Leuenberger

Followers Jamie Charman Simon Black Luke Power

Interchange Robert Copeland Scott Harding Lachlan Henderson James Polkinghorne

Emergencies Tom Collier Bradd Dalziell Troy Selwood

In Scott Harding Lachlan Henderson James Polkinghorne

Out Colm Begley (quad) Ashley McGrath Troy Selwood

New James Polkinghorne (Calder Cannons)

MELBOURNE

Backs James Frawley Nathan Carroll Daniel Bell

Half Backs Paul Wheatley Jared Rivers Cameron Bruce

Centreline Brad Green Brock McLean Clint Bartram

Half Forwards Cale Morton Russell Robertson Colin Sylvia

Forwards Aaron Davey Brad Miller Austin Wonaeamirri

Followers Jeff White James McDonald Nathan Jones

Interchange Lyden Dunn Colin Garland Mark Jamar Brent Moloney

Emergencies Matthew Bate Simon Buckley Matthew Warnock

In Garland Miller

Out Neitz (neck) Whelan (suspended)

GOD HELP US

The Brisbane Lions are among a cluster of clubs with two wins to date and in need of a percentage boosting victory to give them the impetus necessary to move them back firmly into finals contention. It is little wonder therefore that every night this week before retiring to bed, Leigh Matthews has knelt down and uttered a silent prayer of thanks to the one above (well, either to him or to Andrew Demetriou and Adrian Anderson) for arranging this Round 6 fixture - a home game against Melbourne.

Picture this. The sun will be shining brightly and the temperature will be nudging close to 30 Celsius. The Brisbane midfield will include not only the likes of Simon Black, Luke Power, Jed Adcock and Tim Notting but starting in the middle of the ground will be a man on a mission playing against the club that gave him the flick six months ago after ten year's service - Travis Johnstone who was given a proper rev up by the coach earlier in the week. Standing in the key forward positions will be Jonathan Brown who had an off day last week but booted a lazy six when these teams last met on the same ground and Daniel Bradshaw who has kicked 17 goals in his last two encounters against Melbourne and who is in scintillating form at the moment.

I feel ill. All I can see dancing before my eyes are the numbers 0 and 6.

But are things really so bad?

Well perhaps not. There have been some signs of a return to normal life in recent weeks. Brock McLean might not have beaten moneybags at Carlton but he didn't disgrace himself either as he accumulated his 32 possessions. Cameron Bruce did a great job blanketing the dangerous Nick Stevens and Clint Bartram, Daniel Bell and Jared Rivers showed that they are steadily making their way back to better form in defence. James Frawley was also full of promise despite the mauling he got in the final quarter from Fevola and he can only get better for the experience.

The club also has the opportunity this week to revamp its forward line whose output has been so meagre in the season to date. No offence to the old feller but three goals from full forward is an almost negligible return from almost five games. In his absence, the club is forced to try something new. Perhaps Dean Bailey has also been kneeling down at bedtime in the hope that his prayers might be answered this week because he certainly needs a break. If only one or two players could stand up and inspire the team to produce a memorable performance like the one in 2002 at this ground when the team arose from the dead and came back from a seven goal deficit to win in sensational fashion.

That's nice bedtime fare but, on waking up to reality, I have to go for the home side and to declare with sadness that at 4.00pm on Sunday afternoon, Melbourne will be oh and six.

Thanks.

This match is going to be a blow-out of massive proportions.

Given that the scoreboard is going to be a mess at the end of the game regardless of what we do, I reckon Bailey should stick Junior, or whoever he considers our best tagger, on TJ for the whole match to keep him out of it. If TJ shreds us in amongst yet another insipid display people WILL call for Bailey's head. You might say he shouldn't worry about such things, but it might be a good PR campaign for TJ to have a rough night, given that we are probably going to get mauled either way.

Given that the scoreboard is going to be a mess at the end of the game regardless of what we do, I reckon Bailey should stick Junior, or whoever he considers our best tagger, on TJ for the whole match to keep him out of it. If TJ shreds us in amongst yet another insipid display people WILL call for Bailey's head. You might say he shouldn't worry about such things, but it might be a good PR campaign for TJ to have a rough night, given that we are probably going to get mauled either way.

I hope the players don't take that attitude into the game.

I hope the players don't take that attitude into the game.

My concern is not with the players. Some of their attitudes have been questionable for years. Its with Bailey actually getting a fair crack at his job. Fairly acrimonious start, wouldn't you say? And he did get rid of TJ in yet another trade that divided the supporters of the club. If Trav fustigates us this week, Bailey is going to cop a tidal wave of criticism from those supporters who were against the trade. And it will just be more pressure on the hierarchy of a club which we know is just as likely to bow to the criticism as it is to stay strong.

bailey will be mature and should tell his players to treat trav and the opposition like every other game

You mean lay down and let them walk all over us? Obviously it's not Bailey's will but many of the players seem to execute it to a T.

My concern is not with the players. Some of their attitudes have been questionable for years. Its with Bailey actually getting a fair crack at his job. Fairly acrimonious start, wouldn't you say? And he did get rid of TJ in yet another trade that divided the supporters of the club. If Trav fustigates us this week, Bailey is going to cop a tidal wave of criticism from those supporters who were against the trade. And it will just be more pressure on the hierarchy of a club which we know is just as likely to bow to the criticism as it is to stay strong.

You mean lay down and let them walk all over us? Obviously it's not Bailey's will but many of the players seem to execute it to a T.

I'll have a look at Cameron Bruce taking on TJ. IMO JMac's more suited to Black.

TJ can play a blinder for all i care but i'm happy with Grimey.

Frawley should develop at lightning pace considering how much the ball is going to be pumped into the backline over the next 16 weeks. Bartran will also get a chance to shut down a good player, he should also thrive in this style game.

Will be a blowout, I am just keen to see how our players handle such as task. If they get within 20 points, I will predict that we will defeat Freo the following week.

If we get smashed by over 50 points, Freo will no doubt have the confidence to smash us at home next week.

By pick, Lions & co by 45 points.

Brucey wins the toss. Have we lost one this year? Not that it matters much.

don't think we have... that and the clanger count are the stats we're undefeated in...

this was the first time where we've been efficient down forward... even though our actual forwards haven't looked dangerous at all, we've made the most of our opportunities for the first time all year...

nice to see the commentators have worked out why we keep getting beaten too... no one presenting across half forward...

great quarter from N. Jones, pushing forward really well...