Mike Sheahans Top 50 of all Time

Mousey

FCS. Its only one person's opinion. No doubt there will be gripes about why isnt MFC footballer ----- ----- there?

FWIW, while I note Flower was not there, I also note Keith Greig was excluded as well. Grieg was in the AFL Team of the Century ahead of Flower. Greig was good but also in a magnificent side yet Flower was better for a longer period in a crap side. I rate Schimma better than Greig. So did Mike

Also Sheahan had Jack Mueller at 50. From my reading and talking to old long time MFC supporters, Mueller was freakish and outstanding with his skills. It was a pity the WWII happened during Mueller's peak.

Its an interesting read and I think Sheahan has done a reasonable job. Its a difficult selection when you look at the next 100 that missed out.

Its telling though that MFC could not muster a Top 50 player since Barassi.

Its an interesting read and I think Sheahan has done a reasonable job. Its a difficult selection when you look at the next 100 that missed out.

AFL/VFL football is NOT 150 years old. The games played by interstaters such as Cable, are not included in the stats, hence it's an assessment of VFL/AFL footballers. And was Cable a better footballer over his 115 VFL games than the likes of Dempsey and Flower were over their 250+ games careers? Doubt it!

If he was commissioned to make an assessment of the best 50 players in 150 years of Australian Rules Football, then legends of the VFA should have been considered.

And Rhino, on what basis do you assess that Sheahan has done a reasonable job? If I can hazard a guess, you would have watched football for maybe 25 - 30 % of the 150 years that Sheahan has allegedly covered.

The fact that it's commissioned by the AFL makes it ridiculous, not the fact that it's a Mike Sheahan opinion piece.

AFL/VFL football is NOT 150 years old. The games played by interstaters such as Cable, are not included in the stats, hence it's an assessment of VFL/AFL footballers. And was Cable a better footballer over his 115 VFL games than the likes of Dempsey and Flower were over their 250+ games careers? Doubt it!

Dont be so precious and petty. Its covers Australian football. Cable was arguably a better footballer over his career than either of Flower and Dempsey. At his peak Cable was peerless as a rover particularly his footskills.

If he was commissioned to make an assessment of the best 50 players in 150 years of Australian Rules Football, then legends of the VFA should have been considered.

And they would be in by the truckload. :rolleyes:

And Rhino, on what basis do you assess that Sheahan has done a reasonable job? If I can hazard a guess, you would have watched football for maybe 25 - 30 % of the 150 years that Sheahan has allegedly covered.

My opinion. And I guess Mike Sheahan has watched a similar if not more football. Big deal.

The fact that it's commissioned by the AFL makes it ridiculous, not the fact that it's a Mike Sheahan opinion piece.

I'll huff and I'll puff.......

Dont be so precious and petty. Its covers Australian football. Cable was arguably a better footballer over his career than either of Flower and Dempsey. At his peak Cable was peerless as a rover particularly his footskills.

And they would be in by the truckload. :rolleyes:

My opinion. And I guess Mike Sheahan has watched a similar if not more football. Big deal.

I'll huff and I'll puff.......

I'm not being precious, just stating a fact. If it covers Australian football, why not include the records of the VFA and interstate competitions?

Opinions are generally based on facts. The opinions of yourself and Mike Sheahan regarding 150 years of Australian Football are baseless.

And by the way, there have been star VFL players who played a majority of their football in the VFA. For enlightenment, read up on the records of Ron Todd and Frank Johnson. Maybe next time you'll make an informed opinion.

I'm not being precious, just stating a fact. If it covers Australian football, why not include the records of the VFA and interstate competitions?

Opinions are generally based on facts. The opinions of yourself and Mike Sheahan regarding 150 years of Australian Football are baseless.

And by the way, there have been star VFL players who played a majority of their football in the VFA. For enlightenment, read up on the records of Ron Todd and Frank Johnson. Maybe next time you'll make an informed opinion.

Opinions are based on peoples observations and experiences. The same basis as you seem to value your opinion.

Did you see Ron Todd play? How do you evaluate the opposition? He was in good in the VFA but does that have credence against the cream of the AFL?

You keep up your reading now!

Flower was good, but look at what he did. Nothing. Don't flame, but you have to consider that the man didn't win a premiership in his time at Melbourne. He was a part of one of the worst era's by any team in the history of aussie rules. I thought it was lucky he was included as the ones who just missed out. I mean, didn't win a brownlow, premiership or anything else outside of Melbourne.

Flower was good, but look at what he did. Nothing. Don't flame, but you have to consider that the man didn't win a premiership in his time at Melbourne. He was a part of one of the worst era's by any team in the history of aussie rules. I thought it was lucky he was included as the ones who just missed out. I mean, didn't win a brownlow, premiership or anything else outside of Melbourne.

So he was supposed to win a flag singlehandly?

The majority of players in Sheahan's list with multiple flags were surrounded with capable players and a quick look at the top 10 will show winning a brownlow is no criteria for inclusion...

Nice try for controversy though :rolleyes:

Wash your mouth out with soap.

Flower was so good that even quality sides game plan would be to deliberately go around the other wing!

The kid was probably born after Flower retired.

I knew Flower wouldn't make it due to the teams he played in. There's absolutely no doubt that Flower was the greatest wingman of all time and deserving of a top 30 position. He regularly outshone many of those named in the 50 when playing with the Big V around his neck. He kicked 40 goals purely from a wing one year which is an amazing feat in a crap side. What other wingman have kicked 315 goals ?

A subjective piece that's not worth worying about.

Opinions are based on peoples observations and experiences.

I agree, which means that compiling a list of the top 50 players in 150 years of football is an act of futility. What are his and your opinions based on? And unless of course you are both 160 years old, where are your observations and experiences?

And I wasn't the one initially slagging off VFA players. If you knew anything about the history of football, you'd realise that some of the best players chose to play in the VFA, ahead of the VFL, because there was more money in the VFA. Frank Johnson is a prime example. Won 2 All-Australian whilst playing in the VFA. Won a B&F for South Melbourne in his 1st season of VFL, knocking off Bob Skilton.

I'm not myopic on football unlike your good self.

I agree, which means that compiling a list of the top 50 players in 150 years of football is an act of futility. What are his and your opinions based on? And unless of course you are both 160 years old, where are your observations and experiences?

Unless you can dig up someone from the grave who can cover those areas you're right. But hell, there is no harm with a person just expressing an opinion. He is not necessarily right or wrong.

As another poster aptly put it..."A subjective piece that's not worth worying about."

Take a tablet and lie down.

You're all bias. Had a player of Flower's calibre from another team that sucked majorly over the same period was included, you'd all be throwing sticks and burning stacks outside Sheahans house. I'm saying, you can be good, but the reason the man is barely brought up in UN-BIAS conversation of the best ever players is because he played on a terrible team and couldn't lead them to success. It's the same in every sport. Sheahans list is consistent and accurate, and he didn't let his support of Melbourne get the best of him like most of you. It has nothing to do with me not seeing him grow up, but me knowing he didn't achieve anything outside of the club while he played. And YES that does have influence.

PS. Just quietly, who likes my new icon? :P

You're all bias. Had a player of Flower's calibre from another team that sucked majorly over the same period was included, you'd all be throwing sticks and burning stacks outside Sheahans house. I'm saying, you can be good, but the reason the man is barely brought up in UN-BIAS conversation of the best ever players is because he played on a terrible team and couldn't lead them to success. It's the same in every sport. Sheahans list is consistent and accurate, and he didn't let his support of Melbourne get the best of him like most of you. It has nothing to do with me not seeing him grow up, but me knowing he didn't achieve anything outside of the club while he played. And YES that does have influence.

Flower was not good, he was great.

Whether or not Mike puts him in the top 50 is his call, but in reference to Robbie you stated he did nothing???

I find that a little absurd!

Forgiveable if you were too young to really appreciate what a great player he was, or so old that Alzheimer's has you by the short and curlies.

Flower was not good, he was great.

Whether or not Mike puts him in the top 50 is his call, but in reference to Robbie you stated he did nothing???

I find that a little absurd!

Forgiveable if you were too young to really appreciate what a great player he was, or so old that Alzheimer's has you by the short and curlies.

But what did he do besides be a great player? What did he achieve? You're missing my point. I am not discrediting his ability or how great he was. Instead, I'm saying that there are at least 50 players that are more deserving then him. Being a great player on a poor team is not, in every sport, something to write home about.

But what did he do besides be a great player? What did he achieve? You're missing my point. I am not discrediting his ability or how great he was. Instead, I'm saying that there are at least 50 players that are more deserving then him. Being a great player on a poor team is not, in every sport, something to write home about.

I am missing your point alright...bar cloning himself...I'm not really sure what else he could have done.

If my understanding is right your 21 years old....so you were not [or barely] born when he was retiring...I am amazed that you can write someone off when you never ever saw him play?

I am missing your point alright...bar cloning himself...I'm not really sure what else he could have done.

If my understanding is right your 21 years old....so you were not [or barely] born when he was retiring...I am amazed that you can write someone off when you never ever saw him play?

I'm not writing him off. Do you read my posts? Just curious.

From a totally biased viewpoint I admit, I saw both Whitten and Barassi play. In terms of what they each contributed there was nothing between them in skill and aggression apart from height which enabled Ted to play KP's. Ron is ranked way too low.

The two best wingers I've seen are Flower and Greig. Keith Greig had the luxury of playing in a team of champions following the recruitment rule changes that gave North two flags in quick succession. Greig was a champion footballer nonetheless. Unfortunately Flower was never so lucky.

It's probably not available but if anyone wants confirmation of how good Robbie Flower was get hold of the interstate clash between Vic and WA at Waverley way back. Flower played wing in a superb team and dominated to the point that he took the ball behind the half back flank (and it was a big ground) ran, baulked, handballed, ran forward continually, received again, gave off, found space, got the ball yet again and goaled. An absolutely sublime moment of football skill.

For anyone unlucky enough to never saw him play I'd be very wary of offering naive/dumb criticism.

From a totally biased viewpoint I admit, I saw both Whitten and Barassi play. In terms of what they each contributed there was nothing between them in skill and aggression apart from height which enabled Ted to play KP's. Ron is ranked way too low.

The two best wingers I've seen are Flower and Greig. Keith Greig had the luxury of playing in a team of champions following the recruitment rule changes that gave North two flags in quick succession. Greig was a champion footballer nonetheless. Unfortunately Flower was never so lucky.

It's probably not available but if anyone wants confirmation of how good Robbie Flower was get hold of the interstate clash between Vic and WA at Waverley way back. Flower played wing in a superb team and dominated to the point that he took the ball behind the half back flank (and it was a big ground) ran, baulked, handballed, ran forward continually, received again, gave off, found space, got the ball yet again and goaled. An absolutely sublime moment of football skill.

For anyone unlucky enough to never saw him play I'd be very wary of offering naive/dumb criticism.

Spot on Bob, I to was there that day with my Saints supporting mates & Flower was playing against that WA champion Brian Peake, he gave him a bath then towled him down. FLOWER WAS A GUN of the biggest caliber.

When Barassi was coaching the Dees he'd play Flower @ CHB on Ross Glendinning who was a star back then & Flower would show him how.