Jump to content

  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


The Soccer thread


45HG

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

City 2 Liverpool 2. As a Reds fan I would have preferred to win but will take it after being behind twice and we live to fight another day, on the balance of play City might feel aggrieved to not come up with the 3 points. 

7 games to go and City's run in looks a fair bit easier than Liverpool's but there's plenty of football to be played. Can't see it ending any other way than down to the wire. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 4:58 PM, layzie said:

City 2 Liverpool 2. As a Reds fan I would have preferred to win but will take it after being behind twice and we live to fight another day, on the balance of play City might feel aggrieved to not come up with the 3 points. 

7 games to go and City's run in looks a fair bit easier than Liverpool's but there's plenty of football to be played. Can't see it ending any other way than down to the wire. 

Still only 1 point in it and both teams (City & Liverpool) could both win their 5 remaining games ... so 10 wins combined without a hiccup?  It's possible but some other result is likely in 1 of the 10 games

Maybe my Hammers can help your blokes out when we are at home (May 16th) to Man City?  haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Macca said:

Still only 1 point in it and both teams (City & Liverpool) could both win their 5 remaining games ... so 10 wins combined without a hiccup?  It's possible but some other result is likely in 1 of the 10 games

Maybe my Hammers can help your blokes out when we are at home (May 16th) to Man City?  haha

Plenty of football to be played as the wise ones say. I do think your Hammers are our best chance of spoiling City's party so I'll be blowing bubbles that day!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The Champions League doesn’t disappoint does it! Villareal were so brave yesterday battling back from 2-0 down before Liverpool got it together and pulled away. I do wonder how Villareal would have gone had they had a decent keeper though..

And then this morning! My goodness, I was about to shut it off and get on with things at the 87th minute but bam Rodrygo brace to get Real to extra time. Then 5 minutes after the restart Dias lunged in on Benzema and Los Blancos hit the lead with the penalty. They are proving to be the comeback kings and I’m very weary of facing them in the final. Hopefully it’s a beauty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2020 at 10:05 AM, roy11 said:

Abraham will be lucky to finish the season at Chelsea.

They've spent 400 million pounds on players over the last 3 seasons. With a front 4 of Werner in front of Pulisic Havertz Ziyech they should be challenging this season. A lot of pressure on Frank now. 

 

Still don't rate FL as a manager, somehow in spite of his deficiencies they've won a few crucial games. Will be interesting to see who goes down

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's fair to say we moved a step closer to an EPL champion in 21-22. Was a tough game at Anfield yesterday morning and Tottenham came with a great game plan. Conte is a very good manager and has everyone playing their roles to perfection and working a little magic on the break, much like they did against us in December, obviously a bit gutted but Spurs very much deserved their point and would have been hard done by if they took nothing from that game.

Mo Salah is off the boil at the moment, and not at a good time either. I don't know what it is but he is just, off. I know we've played a lot of games in quick succession and I did see us dropping one soon. Didn't watch this morning but City had an emphatic win over Toon 5-0. They now have a 3 point lead and 4 goals ahead on goal difference. In any other league it's fair to say Liverpool have 3 league titles in the last 4 years but this is the EPL and you have to take your hat off to City. They just know how to get it done and are the masters of the 'run in' period. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, layzie said:

I think it's fair to say we moved a step closer to an EPL champion in 21-22. Was a tough game at Anfield yesterday morning and Tottenham came with a great game plan. Conte is a very good manager and has everyone playing their roles to perfection and working a little magic on the break, much like they did against us in December, obviously a bit gutted but Spurs very much deserved their point and would have been hard done by if they took nothing from that game.

Mo Salah is off the boil at the moment, and not at a good time either. I don't know what it is but he is just, off. I know we've played a lot of games in quick succession and I did see us dropping one soon. Didn't watch this morning but City had an emphatic win over Toon 5-0. They now have a 3 point lead and 4 goals ahead on goal difference. In any other league it's fair to say Liverpool have 3 league titles in the last 4 years but this is the EPL and you have to take your hat off to City. They just know how to get it done and are the masters of the 'run in' period. 

 

Man City put on a clinic against Newcastle and I'd be surprised if they were to drop points in their run home ... maybe a draw could happen but they are 3 points ahead so they are going to have to lose a game to surrender the title.  And then there's the goal difference

Just too much talent and their passing to set up the goals yesterday was absolutely supreme.  First rate in fact

Link to comment
Share on other sites


12 hours ago, Macca said:

Man City put on a clinic against Newcastle and I'd be surprised if they were to drop points in their run home ... maybe a draw could happen but they are 3 points ahead so they are going to have to lose a game to surrender the title.  And then there's the goal difference

Just too much talent and their passing to set up the goals yesterday was absolutely supreme.  First rate in fact

Agreed Macca, way too good. Perfect bounceback from the CL disaster. They just have quality all over the pitch and deserve to be sitting top, glorious to watch when they're playing that kind of football. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2022 at 9:15 AM, layzie said:

Agreed Macca, way too good. Perfect bounceback from the CL disaster. They just have quality all over the pitch and deserve to be sitting top, glorious to watch when they're playing that kind of football. 

And De Bruyne puts a casual 4 past the Wolves defence (what a player!) ... that CL catastrophe has really fired them up, layzie

Got to take your hat off to them though, when they are on they are damn good

Liverpool of course has the CL final to look forward to and that's a bigger prize - 29th May 5.00am (Sunday morning)

A pity it's not on FTA but I'll be able to stream the game (it's on Stan Sport)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Macca said:

And De Bruyne puts a casual 4 past the Wolves defence (what a player!) ... that CL catastrophe has really fired them up, layzie

Got to take your hat off to them though, when they are on they are damn good

Liverpool of course has the CL final to look forward to and that's a bigger prize - 29th May 5.00am (Sunday morning)

A pity it's not on FTA but I'll be able to stream the game (it's on Stan Sport)

Way too good, way too good...

CL definitely the bigger prize but gee, I reckon I'd have preferred the EPL title. Silly I know considering City would probably trade places this season. 

I caved in and got Stan for this month. I've even deliberately tried to not watch any other shows on it so I won't get hooked and want to keep it, have too many streaming services as it is! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few upcoming matches to look out for

Sun 15th May 1.45am FA Cup Final - Chelsea vs Liverpool

Thurs 19th May 5.00am Europa League Final - Eintracht Frankfurt vs Rangers FC

Mon 23rd May 1.00am - Final Day EPL

Sun 29th May 5.00am Champions League Final - Liverpool vs Real Madrid

Wed 1st June - Socceroos vs Jordan (Friendly)

Tues 7th June - Socceroos @ UAE (World Cup Qualifier) ... winner to play Peru for the right to be included in the World Cup

Edited by Macca
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hammers draw with City! At one stage West Ham led 2-0

Opens the door for Liverpool as long as the Reds gain full points against Southampton

If that eventuates, we'd see a 1 point margin (at the top) going into the EPL final day

Although, it's difficult to see Villa gaining a point at Man City on the final day.  But you never know!  Nothing is written in stone

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The main thing is it’s going to the last day of the season. Gives everyone something to watch!

Thought the Hammers were exceptional in that first half with those movements forward. Very glad they hung on for a point, seems like the Spurs draw from last week is gonna get us in the end but obviously it’s a tonne of moments like this that makes up a season.

Commiserations to Rangers this morning in Europa, had two decent chances to take it out in extra time but lost to the dreaded penalty shootout!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 1:26 AM, Macca said:

Although, it's difficult to see Villa gaining a point at Man City on the final day.  But you never know!  Nothing is written in stone

 

If there's ever a chance for Steven Gerrard to get redemption for that slip in 2014, this is it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, layzie said:

If there's ever a chance for Steven Gerrard to get redemption for that slip in 2014, this is it!

My gut feel is that Man City will go a goal-spree but I hope it doesn't turn out that way

If Villa score early it could get interesting!

Soccer can often throw up skewed results and the 'Own Goal' or a dodgy penalty is always on the cards haha

Liverpool & Man City to both win and I can see both teams scoring 4+ goals each!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Macca said:

My gut feel is that Man City will go a goal-spree but I hope it doesn't turn out that way

If Villa score early it could get interesting!

Soccer can often throw up skewed results and the 'Own Goal' or a dodgy penalty is always on the cards haha

Liverpool & Man City to both win and I can see both teams scoring 4+ goals each!!

My gut feel is that too, they've had their blip against you guys now watch for the backlash. 5-0 Would be my prediction. Stevie needs to kit up 😜

But yeah you never know, a Villa strike early or an off day in front of goal for City, anything can happen. 

Well done to the Toffees this morning, the great escape is on! Feels weird applauding them but you have to after that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When Lampard was appointed at Everton they were in 16th place, they'll end up in 16th place. It may sound like I have an agenda, but if he sees out his contract at Everton I will be very surprised. Happy everton remain in the league as they are more of a rabble than my mob (United). 

Villa rested players this morning, clearly Stevie wants to help Liverpool but he still has Mings as his first choice CB so don't expect any favours there aha. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Well there's a bit to play out tonight

Spurs & Arsenal are battling for a CL spot (Spurs 2 points ahead)

West Ham & Man Utd are vying for a Europa League position (United 2 points in front)

And as previously discussed, there is only 1 point between Man City & Liverpool for the title whilst one of Leeds & Burnley will be relegated (both are level on 35 points)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that burns a little 🙁 you have to hand it to City though, they are just an amazing and impressive team. If you're going to win it like that then you can really only tip your hat. We have a great side, definitely the best side in my time supporting Liverpool. Any other era or league in Europe they probably win this title but when you're going up against one of the very best teams ever that's just how it is.

I do wonder though what would have happened had Liverpool taken the lead while City were 2-0 down, could the heads have dropped for City once the news had passed around the Etihad? We'll never know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 2:41 PM, layzie said:

Well that burns a little 🙁 you have to hand it to City though, they are just an amazing and impressive team. If you're going to win it like that then you can really only tip your hat. We have a great side, definitely the best side in my time supporting Liverpool. Any other era or league in Europe they probably win this title but when you're going up against one of the very best teams ever that's just how it is.

I do wonder though what would have happened had Liverpool taken the lead while City were 2-0 down, could the heads have dropped for City once the news had passed around the Etihad? We'll never know. 

An amazing finish and when City were down 0-2 in the 75th minute I thought draw at best ... and at the same time the Reds were level with Wolves but my thinking was that Liverpool would score again and win

5 minutes later Man City were 3-2 up and Liverpool was still level with Wolves ... the rest is history!!

Meanwhile Leeds & Burnley were fighting to stay alive in the Premier League.  Leeds scored in the 94th minute but Burnley could have scored again and a draw would have kept them up (if the Leeds winner doesn't eventuate)

When we have these scenarios it's 2 of the best hours of sport.  High drama and high tension

So it's 5am Sunday morning for the Champions League Final in Paris

Liverpool vs Real Madrid

Should be a beauty!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Macca said:

An amazing finish and when City were down 0-2 in the 75th minute I thought draw at best ... and at the same time the Reds were level with Wolves but my thinking was that Liverpool would score again and win

5 minutes later Man City were 3-2 up and Liverpool was still level with Wolves ... the rest is history!!

Meanwhile Leeds & Burnley were fighting to stay alive in the Premier League.  Leeds scored in the 94th minute but Burnley could have scored again and a draw would have kept them up (if the Leeds winner doesn't eventuate)

When we have these scenarios it's 2 of the best hours of sport.  High drama and high tension

So it's 5am Sunday morning for the Champions League Final in Paris

Liverpool vs Real Madrid

Should be a beauty!!

There's nothing like it anywhere. Seeing the transistor radios and phones out in the crowd for constant score checking!

Well done to Leeds I'm glad they stayed up, maybe James Milner leaves Liverpool to finish the career off where it started? Time will tell.

Nerves starting to kick in for the final this Sun morning. Bit worried about the health of our side, Thiago is 50-50, Fabinho  50-50, Van Dijk battling and I still don't feel Salah is 100%. Not ideal when you're taking on a rampant Real Madrid side full of belief right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, layzie said:

There's nothing like it anywhere. Seeing the transistor radios and phones out in the crowd for constant score checking!

Well done to Leeds I'm glad they stayed up, maybe James Milner leaves Liverpool to finish the career off where it started? Time will tell.

Nerves starting to kick in for the final this Sun morning. Bit worried about the health of our side, Thiago is 50-50, Fabinho  50-50, Van Dijk battling and I still don't feel Salah is 100%. Not ideal when you're taking on a rampant Real Madrid side full of belief right now. 

We had a version of the EPL's last day in the VFL when all the games were on at the same time (Sat 2.10 approx)

The most memorable for Demon supporters being 1987 & 1976 but even in 1988 we needed to defeat 2nd placed Carlton in the last round just to make the finals ... ended up in the GF after winning 3 finals to get there!

But I recall there being a number of finals teams shuffled about in the last round ... and back in the day, the wooden spoon was to be avoided at all costs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Macca said:

We had a version of the EPL's last day in the VFL when all the games were on at the same time (Sat 2.10 approx)

The most memorable for Demon supporters being 1987 & 1976 but even in 1988 we needed to defeat 2nd placed Carlton in the last round just to make the finals ... ended up in the GF after winning 3 finals to get there!

But I recall there being a number of finals teams shuffled about in the last round ... and back in the day, the wooden spoon was to be avoided at all costs!

Macca if there's one day I wish like hell I was old enough to have fully experienced it's that final round in 1987, I reckon that would have been off tap.

In contrast though if there's one day I'm so very grateful I wasn't old enough to fully experience or remember well it's the 87 prelim at Waverley..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 382

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 80

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 286

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    PREGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demons will take to the field in their first hit out for 2024 against another team when they take on the Tigers at Casey Fields in a Scratch Match consisting of 7 "quarters". Melbourne vs Richmond Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways What are your expectations? What do you want to see from

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 130

    TRAINING: Monday 12th February 2024

    Clayton Oliver was integrated back into the main training group today for the first time in 2024 after completing a 2km time trial. FriendlyFellow, a new Demonland Trackwatcher hit Gosch's Paddock on a hot and windy morning to bring you his observations of the session. Disclaimer: Saw on the socials they were down at Gosch’s Paddock so headed down for a quick look. Little to no presence of other track watchers and no current live thread, so as a first time contributor, giving what the peopl

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 6
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...