Christian Salem - Elite or Good Ordinary

Cranky Franky

Salem is no longer the player he once was, I’d have him as a solid B-grader.

It’s hard to remain as an A-grader in the game as it is, let alone having to deal with thyroid problems as well.

What I do know is that he was vital in our 2021 campaign and that his first 1/4 in the GF was immense.

A big part of me feels that we’ve seen the best of Salo and seeing what trade currency he might bring isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Edited by Demon Disciple

On 30/06/2024 at 21:49, Great Northern Summer said:

The sort of player we need to move on, if we can get something reasonable back whilst he still has currency. If we don’t move on it, and other similar players, we’ll hit a massive cliff. Hawthorn has done it perfectly and now are probably closer to a flag than us - who would have ever thought.

What has it been, four years in the bottom four for Hawthorn?

They've had their tails up for 8 weeks and I'm open to the idea that they really have turned a corner, BUT with their next six being Geelong (away), Freo, Collingwood, Crows (away), Giants (away) and Carlton, I think I'll wait at least that long before I start setting them as a perfect rebuild role model or imagining they are anywhere close to a flag.

Christian Salem is a good player who sometimes brings out elite moments and elite games, and very very rarely has a stinker. We'd be wise to keep him and he's a realistic part of our coming premierships. Even from the most ruthless perspective, his value to us is far beyond his cost in salary cap space or potential draft picks.

Maybe it is worth noting that Hawthorn would probably be one of the clubs interested if Salem did become available, given his overall consistency, ball-use, defensive effectiveness and calm head would be valuable in a young team. Maybe we could swap him for Sam Frost?

• Haha 1

This a remarkably intelligent thread, other than the clown who said  "overrated".

So much so   I signed back on board to point out that Viney was " cooked" some years back  because of the Clubs appalling record of handling injuries. 

Jack probably doesn't have a long future even now but gee he's come good .

There's no reason Salo  can't get back to his A-  best and hold a new backline together or set up some forward thrusts.

Petty would help with that as well bte , when TMac retires 

Given that MFC only have one true generational player on their books,surely they  keep all the A's ( plus or minus) as long as possible.

I' d trade the whole FD before Salo

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1