Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Club Culture - How Do You Change It?

Guest José Mourinho

Guest José Mourinho

We Need BRIAN COOK..

He played 4 senior games for our club, so i am sure there is a little connection still there.

What a great final chapter it would be for a CEO career that has been nothing short of Brilliant.

Geelong have improved every year since Cook has been there...& yes i know Frank Costa was part of that

But Brian Cook exudes the Culture traits we need..

FFS, THIS is what you got out of BH's post??

Read the recent article about Brian Cook in the HS. He is going nowhere.

Any fruitless pursuit of Brian Cook would only make Schwab's position untenable and necessitate finding someone else to fill his position, without a list of suitable candidates.

CS has made great efforts to change the club culture too, and made strides on the financial side of things also.

But I have to agree with BH that the main driver for change is the players themselves.

Guest José Mourinho

Read the following slowly, carefully and take time to think about it.

Frank Costa became President of Geelong in 1998. Brian Cook became CEO in 1999. Mark Thompson became coach in 2000. Players such as Ling, Bartel, Chapman, Ablett, Scarlett, Harley, Corey, Enright, Milburn and Kelly were at the club by 2002. After 5 rounds in 2007 they were 10th after 2 wins and 3 losses. Following the round 5 loss Paul Chapman publicly questioned the club's culture. He criticised the lack of team mentality with many of his fellow players. Mark Thompson followed with a similarly blunt assessment. By 2007 Costa was in his 10th year as President, Cook in his 9th year as CEO and Thompson in his 8th year as coach, yet the culture at the club was considered poor by the players and coaching group alike.

So I ask you 'deluded', how important were the President, Ceo, and Coach in determining the club's culture ? No doubt they have a role, but it's the players who determine the culture and more specifically it's your senior players. Following some brutally honest meetings, reflections and soul searching, together with the guidance of the Leading Teams program, and Garry Ablett being challenged by his teammates to train and work harder, the players embarked upon some rigourous performance standards and accountability. Everyone at Geelong knows that the turn around in the club's culture was player driven. It wasn't the CEO, President, Coach, or Auntie May down the road.

But I know that some still won't get it.

Great post and points.

But I do think the coaching department have a large role to play off-field in developing these players mentally to the point where they reach this type of epiphany.

Mental maturity is a heavily underrated aspect of this.

FFS, THIS is what you got out of BH's post??

Read the recent article about Brian Cook in the HS. He is going nowhere.

Any fruitless pursuit of Brian Cook would only make Schwab's position untenable and necessitate finding someone else to fill his position, without a list of suitable candidates.

CS has made great efforts to change the club culture too, and made strides on the financial side of things also.

But I have to agree with BH that the main driver for change is the players themselves.

I don't have to read BH's thread....i know what Brian Cook has done at Both the Eagles & Geelong...

I don't always believe HS articles....I believe in the work ethic of Brian Cook though...He should be pursued.

Guest José Mourinho

I don't have to read BH's thread....i know what Brian Cook has done at Both the Eagles & Geelong...

I don't always believe HS articles....I believe in the work ethic of Brian Cook though...He should be pursued.

So... you don't need to read the post you were replying to?

And... you haven't read the HS article featuring quotes from Cook himself, in regards to him being ready for retirement to spend time with his grandkids and having no desire to leave Geelong?

Right.

So... you don't need to read the post you were replying to?

And... you haven't read the HS article featuring quotes from Cook himself, in regards to him being ready for retirement to spend time with his grandkids and having no desire to leave Geelong?

Right.

I read BH's post...He said some interesting things

& i would also speak to Brian Cook to, He may want to do less hours than before...Fine.

A man can change his mind with the right offer...

I am suprised you are not thinking more outside the square Jos'e....Lit your game sunshine.

The MFC has got to keep bringing people in...the ones who have been before are not up to it....as is being shown right now.

Guest José Mourinho

I read BH's post...He said some interesting things

& i would also speak to Brian Cook to, He may want to do less hours than before...Fine.

A man can change his mind with the right offer...

I am suprised you are not thinking more outside the square Jos'e....Lit your game sunshine.

The MFC has got to keep bringing people in...the ones who have been before are not up to it....as is being shown right now.

That is not thinking outside the square.

I don't know what other candidates are out there, but I do know that Brian Cook is not the answer.

That is not thinking outside the square.

I don't know what other candidates are out there, but I do know that Brian Cook is not the answer.

Every man has his price Jos'e, just ask Mitch Clark

If we want to be the Best...we must get the Best...Cook has resurected 2 basket case AFL Clubs & been involved in premierships at both, so it is definately worth pursuing...

Frank Costa became President of Geelong in 1998. Brian Cook became CEO in 1999. Mark Thompson became coach in 2000. Players such as Ling, Bartel, Chapman, Ablett, Scarlett, Harley, Corey, Enright, Milburn and Kelly were at the club by 2002. After 5 rounds in 2007 they were 10th after 2 wins and 3 losses. Following the round 5 loss Paul Chapman publicly questioned the club's culture. He criticised the lack of team mentality with many of his fellow players. Mark Thompson followed with a similarly blunt assessment. By 2007 Costa was in his 10th year as President, Cook in his 9th year as CEO and Thompson in his 8th year as coach, yet the culture at the club was considered poor by the players and coaching group alike.

So I ask you 'deluded', how important were the President, Ceo, and Coach in determining the club's culture ? No doubt they have a role, but it's the players who determine the culture and more specifically it's your senior players. Following some brutally honest meetings, reflections and soul searching, together with the guidance of the Leading Teams program, and Garry Ablett being challenged by his teammates to train and work harder, the players embarked upon some rigourous performance standards and accountability. Everyone at Geelong knows that the turn around in the club's culture was player driven. It wasn't the CEO, President, Coach, or Auntie May down the road.

Good post.

Before they got their act together they were viewed somewhat like us during the Daniher years .

Had the cattle and could play some great football but were mentally weak.

I think the years before they had the Swans on toast in a prelim before getting run over and beaten very late in the game.

From what I understand after the rd5 loss Thompson walked into the rooms after the game knowing that he was about to front the post game media.

He asked the players what they wanted him to tell them after such an inept performance.

Not sure but I think Chapman may've even fronted the media with him but from then on the players after a bake from Chapman, to a man made sure they were going to give it everything , every week on the field .

The rest is history.

Speaking of Club Culture, in the 1950s, Melbourne successfully lobbied the then VFL to create the father-son rule so it could recruit Ron Barrassi Jnr (who at that stage was not in its recruiting zone). The father-son rule was duly created and we got our man and went on to win 6 premierships with him a critical part of the side. It is that kind of attitude of ruthlessly doing everything that could be done to ensure success, including changing the rules, that surely contributed to Melbourne's golden era. Collingwood have been doing it recently with their facilities, aggressive recruiting and the Arizona camps.

Since 1965, (when ironically we allowed Barassi go to carlton on bigger dollars and a coaching contract), we have simply not been that sort of Club. The recent moves to get Jack Viney and Mitch Clark are small steps back in the right direction. But Neeld et al.. have got a long way to go.

• Like 1

You are correct.

The fish rots from the head, and conversely the opposite is true.

??? The head rots from the fish ????!!!! ;-()

• Like 2

Good post.

Before they got their act together they were viewed somewhat like us during the Daniher years .

I think the years before they had the Swans on toast in a prelim before getting run over and beaten very late in the game.

From what I understand after the rd5 loss Thompson walked into the rooms after the game knowing that he was about to front the post game media.

He asked the players what they wanted him to tell them after such an inept performance.

Not sure but I think Chapman may've even fronted the media with him but from then on the players after a bake from Chapman, to a man made sure they were going to give it everything , every week on the field .

The rest is history.

I guess the question is - do we have anyone who is strong enough to "do a Chapman" on our players. It was certainly a most remarkable, and sustained, turnaround. It sounds as if he did what a captain should, despite not being in that formal role. Who??

What about Yakult? Worth a try?

• Like 2

Good post.

The rest is history.

I don't think Chapman fronted the Media that day...I think the whole mantra has remained in house....it may well be in some of those Geelong Books written in the last few years of course.

The MFC would benefit greatly from a situation like it...easier said than done i know.

But this old girl has the potential to be a truly great club....it lacks fire & drive, to the point of being relentless..

I have said it before but i think inside the club we have Good people, but they do not know how to demand success....They hope it will arrive.

Top Clubs demand it.

Guest Dr Who

I actually have no problems with this. I have great respect for the Leading Teams program & I also have concerns. (but thats for another thread) - but what is leading teams - I will answer that latter.

Some of the very questions the poster wants answered he answers himself. "No doubt they have a role." His words not mine.

But again lets go back to the op - "Club Culture - How Do You Change It?"

The key to changing your culture is buy in form every element in your club - why Neeld shows concern for MFC supporters in his media conference. Hello.

It must, must be driven by every element, it is the very building blocks you club is built on. Then you employ tactics to handle each element of your club.

Your board "drive" by approving & facilitating massive increases in spending inside your football department - you drive it by employing the best people - the best fitness people, the best injury management people, the best coaches you can find. You provide the best training & recovery facilities. (but lets be honest the board is merely our representatives - we are "lucky" we finally employed footy people to drive change)

You need "drive" from you players - you facilitate this by the use of programs like leading teams. The players are encouraged to take ownership.

Your admin "drive" by building your brand & the day to day administration of your club. ie building your membership, Casey partnership etc

Your fans "drive" with their "feet & some via their pockets" and positive responses inside the public domain - sadly not everyone will get it.

Thats how you change your culture - everyone "buys in" but its starts from the ground up via our representatives. IMHO this process started the day "we elected" Jimmy Stynes and his board. But I understand some will want to leave it up to others.

One of the "funniest" things with football clubs is when things are going well everyone wants to say "ITS ME" - when things are going badly everyone wants to "blame others"

I just read your post.

That cultural revolution would have started with Costa, a man of energy vision & will power. And a good dose of sharp wits & uncommon commonsense.

So you say he went out and found a good Cook. The footy smarts.

Then they went to find a good teacher. With a steady temperament & a solid footy vision & brain.

Then they all went out to find good pupils. A bunch of them appeared & also a bit of luck as well with 2+ father/sons.

So Obviously the Environment created by Costa/Cook & Bomba, developed these players bodies & fitness and a gamestyle to suit all conditions, a universal type gamestyle based on bulk and skills.

So, the players grew and got confident and eventually took on the role themselves of leaders. Which they learnt from theirs. They told themselves they weren't happy as also rans, & got serious, & professional.

Which bit don't you understand started with Costa & Cook?

So, together they all formed a cohesive Unit, a powerful one with big bodies & talent & footy IQ. And a loyal, one for all attitude....

I'll tell you now, if they had average leaders at the club, without Costa, Cook, Balme, Thompson, they would have been nowhere near the professional team they've been. Without the flags.

They've so far turned that Club right around, from Handbags to Gladragflags, & Silver Cups to Booty.

Now they have to ensure they keep the honesty & hard work ethic they've instilled in the club over the last 5+ Years.. and not drop off in their Honesty. The keeper of the straight & narrow.