NFL

Dappa Dan

Too funny 'cfh' :)

You've got to be happy with Bridgewater ... great effort considering it was his first game starting off. I thought Atlanta were beaten fair and square and just beaten by a better side on the day.

Our division just got a whole lot more interesting after today's results. To say I'm relieved with the Packers winning is an understatement. The bonus is the road win within the division - vital.

I can R.E.L ...... A.X (for now)

I'll leave the SNF result aside for later on but in other results ...

The Steelers blew a game they should have won.

Houston are now 3&1 but I'm not convinced - their next 3 are @ Dallas, vs Indi & @ Pittsburgh.

Baltimore look dangerous again and Indi are back on track

The Chargers might be a real challenger for Denver in the AFC West

The Eagles went close but their offense cost them - 22 yards rushing vs 218 yards rushing was a telling statistic.

Like Green Bay, the niners would be breathing a huge sigh of relief

Any win is worth celebrating in this league.

• Like 2

Too funny 'cfh' :)

You've got to be happy with Bridgewater ... great effort considering it was his first game starting off. I thought Atlanta were beaten fair and square and just beaten by a better side on the day.

Our division just got a whole lot more interesting after today's results. To say I'm relieved with the Packers winning is an understatement. The bonus is the road win within the division - vital.

I can R.E.L ...... A.X (for now)

I'll leave the SNF result aside for later on but in other results ...

The Steelers blew a game they should have won.

Houston are now 3&1 but I'm not convinced - their next 3 are @ Dallas, vs Indi & @ Pittsburgh.

Baltimore look dangerous again and Indi are back on track

The Chargers might be a real challenger for Denver in the AFC West

The Eagles went close but their offense cost them - 22 yards rushing vs 218 yards rushing was a telling statistic.

Like Green Bay, the niners would be breathing a huge sigh of relief

Any win is worth celebrating in this league.

Yeah you can breathe easy now. Rodgers told you so anyway. Our division is a bit of a mess at the moment. I still think your boys will take it out though and no one from our division will take the wild card. There is too much experience at Green Bay not to win this race. Teddy was pretty darn good and did everything right. He had good protection and the run game to back him up though. At home you should easily handle us though. Our defense is still very ordinary.

Yeah you can breathe easy now. Rodgers told you so anyway. Our division is a bit of a mess at the moment. I still think your boys will take it out though and no one from our division will take the wild card. There is too much experience at Green Bay not to win this race. Teddy was pretty darn good and did everything right. He had good protection and the run game to back him up though. At home you should easily handle us though. Our defense is still very ordinary.

Don't want to sound like a sore loser, it's the only tip I got right! But the bears couldn't run the ball to save themselves at the jets and 49ers and then put up over 200 yards against the packers. Neither team had a punt. With plenty of injuries that finally caught up to us our defense were horrible but I'd still be nervous if I were a packers fan about their own defense and lack of running game. Rodgers told everyone to relax because he knew how damn good he is and how that can translate. But in terms of pure talent across all aspects of the team I can't go passed Detroit. Strong defense in all positions. Good QB. Good O line, good running game and finally more than 1 receiving option. Plus they have the lead on the packers. The biggest knock on Detroit is that they are Detroit. Change the uniforms between green bay and Detroit and you are backing the current lions players.

If you take away the QB do the Cowboys have the best talent on offense in the league? O line are scary good. WR's - Dez and some other talent. Great TE. RB who looks set to lead the league (even if that is O line related). They look seriously good enough that if they don't put up 30 every week then you'd worry about Romo. Not convinced of their defense yet but it's better than horrible. It's hard to like the cowboys but with the way they were written off (by me and others) it's kind of a good story.

Dennis Allen at Oakland is seemingly outdoing Mark Neeld. Poor bloke nearly got sacked in a foreign country!

Don't want to sound like a sore loser, it's the only tip I got right! But the bears couldn't run the ball to save themselves at the jets and 49ers and then put up over 200 yards against the packers. Neither team had a punt. With plenty of injuries that finally caught up to us our defense were horrible but I'd still be nervous if I were a packers fan about their own defense and lack of running game. Rodgers told everyone to relax because he knew how damn good he is and how that can translate. But in terms of pure talent across all aspects of the team I can't go passed Detroit. Strong defense in all positions. Good QB. Good O line, good running game and finally more than 1 receiving option. Plus they have the lead on the packers. The biggest knock on Detroit is that they are Detroit. Change the uniforms between green bay and Detroit and you are backing the current lions players.

Cutler just can't get it done against the Packers - that last interception was pure amateur hour. There's more than a touch of "Romo" about Jay. The Packers pass defense was quite good today ... the Bears only scoring 17 points at home against a team that can score as well as Green Bay just isn't going to cut it. By the way, every team gets injuries, not just Chicago

The Lions are odds on to choke when the heat gets turned up. Same as Houston haven't proven anything yet and the Steelers shouldn't be written off, Detroit need to win some big games away from home and ... they can't be dropping games at home that they shouldn't. The jury is still out.

They've got a chance to gets some wins up with their next 5 though ... vs Buffalo, @ Minnesota, vs New Orleans, @ Atlanta & vs Miami ... they'll need to win at least 3 of those games and more likely 4 of them because after that, it gets very tough for them. The truth is that no game is a guaranteed win for the Lions.

Rodgers was immense today and there was one play he pulled off that was incredible - trouble was that we committed a penalty in the process so the TD that we might have scored was disallowed.

Our pass defense was quite good but our run defense wasn't good. Lacy played ok but we only achieved 56 yards of run out of our running backs. Chicago's defense had no answer to the precision of Rodgers but I'd prefer it if he had a couple more quality targets. As much as I want the team to improve in other areas our strong point can definitely get better.

Can't ever complain about winning @ Chicago though ... as you indicated, your blokes visit Lambeau in a few days - Bridgewater will hopefully come up for the game for your fans. Could be a close one.

Big win for Dallas and credit must be given to Romo (today) He was well protected and he therefore took full advantage. As much as I'm critical of Romo that doesn't mean I wouldn't like him to do well (sorry Dappa) Murray their key RB had a huge game for them which helps but again, we've been burnt by the Cowboys previously so I'm not sure that they can be trusted yet.

Apart from going to Seattle in a fortnight they've got some winnable games coming up ... vs Houston, @ Seattle, vs Giants & then vs Washington. Win 3 of them and they'd be 6&2 and well placed. No guarantees with any of those match-ups though.

The other big story is the Saints ... they're now 1&3 but luckily for them, the Panthers & Falcons both lost and they're only one game back in the NFC South. They'll need to start getting on the winning list pronto all the same ... next 4 ... vs Tampa, @ Detroit, vs Green Bay & then @ Carolina. They'll probably beat the bucs but after that ....

No change at the top of the leaderboard in the tipping comp ...

1 - Dappa Dan

0 - The rest of us poor souls

I almost feel like I had a win by getting 2/3 but unlike what the 'Meatloaf' song indicates, getting 2 out of 3 in this comp is a fail.

Next week is the 2nd of the bonus weeks with 2 points up for grabs ... week 5 games ... remembering that anyone can join in the "fun and frivolities" at any time - there is no cut off point for anyone wanting to enter the comp. 3 picks but they must be all road teams and they must all win in order for you to pick up a point (or points)

Hoping for a KC win tomorrow and I'll tip them in a close one ... 28-26

Cutler just can't get it done against the Packers - that last interception was pure amateur hour. There's more than a touch of "Romo" about Jay. The Packers pass defense was quite good today ... the Bears only scoring 17 points at home against a team that can score as well as Green Bay just isn't going to cut it. By the way, every team gets injuries, not just Chicago

The Lions are odds on to choke when the heat gets turned up. Same as Houston haven't proven anything yet and the Steelers shouldn't be written off, Detroit need to win some big games away from home and ... they can't be dropping games at home that they shouldn't. The jury is still out.

They've got a chance to gets some wins up with their next 5 though ... vs Buffalo, @ Minnesota, vs New Orleans, @ Atlanta & vs Miami ... they'll need to win at least 3 of those games and more likely 4 of them because after that, it gets very tough for them. The truth is that no game is a guaranteed win for the Lions.

Rodgers was immense today and there was one play he pulled off that was incredible - trouble was that we committed a penalty in the process so the TD that we might have scored was disallowed.

Our pass defense was quite good but our run defense wasn't good. Lacy played ok but we only achieved 56 yards of run out of our running backs. Chicago's defense had no answer to the precision of Rodgers but I'd prefer it if he had a couple more quality targets. As much as I want the team to improve in other areas our strong point can definitely get better.

Can't ever complain about winning @ Chicago though ... as you indicated, your blokes visit Lambeau in a few days - Bridgewater will hopefully come up for the game for your fans. Could be a close one.

I think it's easy to give any QB all the credit and forget about defense. Eli got it all with his 2 rings even though his defense was awesome. Packers had a defense with their superbowls as well. Cutler was bad but was made to be bad by a defense that created turn overs. Packers defense is a massive challenge for my new man crush Teddy compared to a soft Atlanta defense.

I think it's easy to give any QB all the credit and forget about defense. Eli got it all with his 2 rings even though his defense was awesome. Packers had a defense with their superbowls as well. Cutler was bad but was made to be bad by a defense that created turn overs. Packers defense is a massive challenge for my new man crush Teddy compared to a soft Atlanta defense.

I agree but I guess if we're going to start critiquing all the weaknesses of all the teams then where do we start and finish? No team is strong in all areas for any sort of length of time. QB's get more focus because of the nature of things ... defenses less so except in the case of 1 or 2 teams. Bad defenses are just not a juicy enough story.

There are numerous examples of that and Geno & the Jets is another one. On an overall basis the Jets are not a good team but Geno will be the one copping the heat. In my eyes we haven't seen a big enough sample size with Geno but if he gets replaced soon then that might be the end of him.

If Dallas self destruct the focus will be on Romo. Flacco copped it for a long time until the Ravens won that Super Bowl. The scrutiny will remain on a few other QB's unless they can somehow get their teams over the line against the good teams on a consistent basis.

My worry over Dallas has been brewing since half time of their week one match against 49ers. I reckon that defense was playing amazing football, and getting results, causing Murray to fumble and the whole Dallas offense to crumble. Then after half time, Dallas' defense hasn't really been beaten yet this year. Their offense will put up 30 more often than not, and right now are playing far better football, for weeks, than the Eagles who are supposedly favourites. Both teams likely to be 4-1 in a week's time... But come the end of the season when they play off to make playoffs, I feel like injuries aside, Dallas are looking better. Their OL is playing as well as anyone's. Eagles OL will get guys back, but that doesn't mean they'll fix their issues. And these last couple of weeks has shown they just don't have depth.

• Like 1

I agree but I guess if we're going to start critiquing all the weaknesses of all the teams then where do we start and finish? No team is strong in all areas for any sort of length of time. QB's get more focus because of the nature of things ... defenses less so except in the case of 1 or 2 teams. Bad defenses are just not a juicy enough story.

There are numerous examples of that and Geno & the Jets is another one. On an overall basis the Jets are not a good team but Geno will be the one copping the heat. In my eyes we haven't seen a big enough sample size with Geno but if he gets replaced soon then that might be the end of him.

If Dallas self destruct the focus will be on Romo. Flacco copped it for a long time until the Ravens won that Super Bowl. The scrutiny will remain on a few other QB's unless they can somehow get their teams over the line against the good teams on a consistent basis.

Geno is an interesting one. You could argue that he hasn't the weapons around him but from what I've read those who have studied his tape argue that his reads are terrible. EJ got dropped for Orton. I was surprised by that. They must smell a bit of blood and want that divisional title this year.

• Like 1

Wow go chiefs. They were very impressive. They bullied the pats on both sides today. Of course the story is Brady and co are dying but I was more impressed with the chiefs then I was shocked at the Pats. KC attacked Brady all night and capitalised on some Brady turnovers. Chiefs have a awesome punter as well.

• Like 1

Wow go chiefs. They were very impressive. They bullied the pats on both sides today. Of course the story is Brady and co are dying but I was more impressed with the chiefs then I was shocked at the Pats. KC attacked Brady all night and capitalised on some Brady turnovers. Chiefs have a awesome punter as well.

Too right ... KC played a great all round game

Alex Smith was terrific all night and played the best game I've seen him play (although I haven't seen him play a lot of complete games)

... Brady was un-Brady like.

The Patriots defense was awful whilst KC's was very good.

Davis, Charles, Kelce & Bowe were all first rate and there was a lot to like about the Chiefs.

New England have their issues but we've said that before. They were terrible today ... according to Belichick they "Need to do everything better" I started watching his press conference but found myself dozing off 1 minute in :)

The crowd broke the all time decibel level as well.

• Like 2

My worry over Dallas has been brewing since half time of their week one match against 49ers. I reckon that defense was playing amazing football, and getting results, causing Murray to fumble and the whole Dallas offense to crumble. Then after half time, Dallas' defense hasn't really been beaten yet this year. Their offense will put up 30 more often than not, and right now are playing far better football, for weeks, than the Eagles who are supposedly favourites. Both teams likely to be 4-1 in a week's time... But come the end of the season when they play off to make playoffs, I feel like injuries aside, Dallas are looking better. Their OL is playing as well as anyone's. Eagles OL will get guys back, but that doesn't mean they'll fix their issues. And these last couple of weeks has shown they just don't have depth.

Don't worry as Allen Iverson was talkin' bout practice we are talkin' bout Dallas. They will find a way to not make the playoffs. Your right their O line is probably the best in the league and they are running a lot. Their defense is playing out of its skin but it's early days. 8-8 would be funny again.

• Like 1

Cutler is Cutler. The only way he'll win big games is with a good team around him. Particularly a defense that can survive his mistakes. He's the middle of the road QB who probably can't win it all but at least can win games. This year and 2 more then hopefully I'm free of him. If we pick up someone good that would be nice. He's still Chicago's best few QBs of all time, which is scary.

As I said, not making excuses. Our defense and lack of depth has scared me all year. Just saying the injuries caught up. Better teams don't let them catch up.

Maybe I'm being too generous but I'm feeling like a mature Stafford and a proper head coach will do Detroit wonders. KC Royals just made the baseball playoffs. Stranger things have happened!

Cutler is Cutler. The only way he'll win big games is with a good team around him. Particularly a defense that can survive his mistakes. He's the middle of the road QB who probably can't win it all but at least can win games. This year and 2 more then hopefully I'm free of him. If we pick up someone good that would be nice. He's still Chicago's best few QBs of all time, which is scary.

As I said, not making excuses. Our defense and lack of depth has scared me all year. Just saying the injuries caught up. Better teams don't let them catch up.

Maybe I'm being too generous but I'm feeling like a mature Stafford and a proper head coach will do Detroit wonders. KC Royals just made the baseball playoffs. Stranger things have happened!

Plenty of teams have won Super Bowls without 'AAA' QB's. The key is to be good to excellent in all areas but not be deficient in any one area. Teams can also get "hot" when it matters. We've seen so many teams come from nowhere to win the whole thing ... Baltimore, Packers, Giants, Steelers and even New Orleans were a bit of a surprise (before the start of their SB winning season)

With regards to injuries (or such like) every team gets them but you don't want to lose a franchise player like the Vikings have. Losing AP means losses. Bridgewater possibly stepping up counters that but imagine if both of them were firing?

Detroit still need to win big games on the road and the Panthers loss in week 2 was telling. The Lions have to get it done and if they do, I'll give them credit - not before. They've still got 6 tough road games to come and a few at home that will be tough. Like Dallas, I wouldn't be going all in on the Lions.

The teams I've got my eye on are Arizona, the Chargers, Ravens & Colts. Again, the Cardinals need to get it done on the road so the jury is also out on them. Same with the Chargers. The other 2 (Ravens & Colts) are dangerous. The Bengals need to win when it matters - in the playoffs.

Best mate was at the new Levi's stadium for the 49ers - Eagles game over the weekend.

From the video he sent it looked like he had seats slap bang in the middle at ground level.

He's a San Fran man too so he was a very happy chappy.

lucky mate you have. Apparently the stadium is state of the art with plenty of entertainment away from the football. Pffft the G has a nando's out the front.

• Like 1

By the way how good did Kelce the TE for the Chiefs look. That's my kind of TE. Making blocks, catches, running from short passes and making hard yards as tacklers miss. Looks like the next great TE in the league. Of course he'll need to stay fit. I've often thought if I played US football I'd be a TE. I'm 6'3 and solid, but have no interest being morbidly obese lineman and have no speed so I'm out of the rest of the positions! But I'm not overly keen on getting drilled by a hard hitting safety as I run over the middle. Dominant pass rushing DE my other dream! In reality I think I'd be the punter!

Has anyone played or thought of playing? Who's going to nominate themselves for demonland QB?

• Like 1

TV games ... not a bad line-up of games but we get the worst of the Sunday late arvo games (unless the Jets can make a game of it)

Friday

10.30am Minnesota at Green Bay (ESPN)

Monday

4.00am - 10.30am RedZone (ESPN ... "Every Touchdown From Every Game")

4.00am Houston at Dallas (7mate)

7.30am NY Jets at San Diego (7mate)

11.30am Cincinnati at New England (7mate & ESPN)

Tuesday

11.30am Seattle at Washington (ESPN)

All the week 5 games

• Like 1

The bengals at New England is a game I'm looking forward to. Bengals should be rested up and ready to go. If The pats go down it will be huge news even though at 2-3 I still think they control their division.