NFL

Dappa Dan

On 2/13/2023 at 10:01 PM, Gorgoroth said:

For me Brady isn’t even top 3, prob not even 5 QB’s if you go by talent in the position, he just won the most. 

No one ever talks about how good the defence he had on the pats team was. They are always left behind. 
Then add in The coach etc

oh and the cheating.

But he is to this day one of the best 5-8 hrs across the middle passers I’ve seen. And he had a mental toughness that will be hard to beat and a desire to win like no other.

As a QB, he knew his limitations, and excelled at what he was good at. 
Put Montana and Rice in the modern pass happy, protected game it is no and he would be next level on the greatness he was. 

Not wrong on talent, probably not even in the top 10 to be honest. But his drive and relentless pursuit to always be improving arm mechanics and strength is unparalleled. For me he's what the sport and that position is all about (or should be all about). 

Yes he couldn't have done half the things he did without that coach, yes he usually had a defense that kept him in a lot of games. I'll add in the O-Line there too Gorg he has more often than not had a decent one and this was the secret sauce for me. However he also didn't have a lot of stud receivers and the one time he had a hall of fame receiver in Randy Moss he broke the season TD record. 

Andy Reid said it yesterday, a great QB has attributes but they make everyone around them better. TB12 is at very least the GOAT of making everyone better. A pure winner, maybe to a fault..

• Like 2

On 2/14/2023 at 6:43 AM, Gorgoroth said:

If you have an opinion why be humble about it 🤣

I’m blatantly biased. AD99 is the best for me, like Brady, he was too short, arm reach and hand size too small, proved them wrong to the point that he has done things on defence that interior linesman shouldn’t ever be able to do. 

I’m actually good with you making the case for AD99 Gorg. In my brief Vic Bowl playing days I was a LB so I do have a soft spot for defense. We talk about Rice and Brady and the work rate, extra training etc, Donald is right up there next to them. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1

After watching highlights of Mahomes again in this game I don't think it was quite the world beater performance that I did at the time but still gutsy and everything you ask for. His second half was excellent and battling back from the knock was a great story, going 13 from 14 attempts for 93 yards had a lot of dink and dunk but again, he executed when it mattered.

As for MVP, he probably has to be. I never thought the MVP could go to a losing side but apparently it happened once in the early days. Hurts was brilliant but was he good enough to be the second losing MVP ever?

The other case could be made for Toney, his 2 big plays really mattered but then you'd have an MVP winner who had a line in the box score that read 1 Rec 5 yards 1 TD 2 Punt returns 77 yards. 

I'd say Mahomes gets it by default but interested to hear your thoughts. 

The post-season tipping competition is done & dusted and once again we have joint winners!

Go the Biff & Clintosaurus both picked up maximum points in the SB and so rounded out as deserved winners.  Well played!

layzie also picked up full points to fly home to gain the silver medal position

In the bronze medal position are 3 former winners of either or both tipping competitions ... JV7,  DeeSpencer & Dee Zephyr.  So well played to all and thanks for your participation. 

Both comps are quite easy to run in all honesty and we're now up to 10 years running with both comps and in my view, they help keep this thread ticking over (which was, and still is, the original aim)

So what's up next?  The Canadian Football League?!!!

Post Season Tipping Comp Final Leaderboard

• 30 - Clintosaurus,  Go the Biff
  • 25 - layzie
  • 21 - JV7,  DeeSpencer,  Dee Zephyr
  • 20 - Gorgoroth
  • 19 - Dr. Gonzo,  Macca
  • 13 - DemonDave

To the winners, go the spoils!

100 Jacksonville Jaguars ideas | jacksonville jaguars, jaguars, jacksonville                      49 Super Bowl Rings: 1981 San Francisco 49ers ✭ Inside The Star

• Like 1

Just a reminder that the Gold medal position are to those who gain the most points

Silver goes to the 2nd most amount of points gained and the Bronze goes to those who gain the 3rd most amount of points

So strictly speaking, we bend the rules on placings but that's the tradition

And long may the tradition continue!! haha

• Like 1

13 hours ago, layzie said:

I’m actually good with you making the case for AD99 Gorg. In my brief Vic Bowl playing days I was a LB so I do have a soft spot for defense. We talk about Rice and Brady and the work rate, extra training etc, Donald is right up there next to them. 

From memory Gorg also played a bit and one of the early posters here 'Stafford' also played

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Macca said:

From memory Gorg also played a bit and one of the early posters here 'Stafford' also played

You didn't have a go Macca? Would have been right up your alley!

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're predominately a footy/soccer player?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Macca said:

The post-season tipping competition is done & dusted and once again we have joint winners!

Go the Biff & Clintosaurus both picked up maximum points in the SB and so rounded out as deserved winners.  Well played!

layzie also picked up full points to fly home to gain the silver medal position

In the bronze medal position are 3 former winners of either or both tipping competitions ... JV7,  DeeSpencer & Dee Zephyr.  So well played to all and thanks for your participation. 

Both comps are quite easy to run in all honesty and we're now up to 10 years running with both comps and in my view, they help keep this thread ticking over (which was, and still is, the original aim)

So what's up next?  The Canadian Football League?!!!

Post Season Tipping Comp Final Leaderboard

• 30 - Clintosaurus,  Go the Biff
  • 25 - layzie
  • 21 - JV7,  DeeSpencer,  Dee Zephyr
  • 20 - Gorgoroth
  • 19 - Dr. Gonzo,  Macca
  • 13 - DemonDave

To the winners, go the spoils!

100 Jacksonville Jaguars ideas | jacksonville jaguars, jaguars, jacksonville                      49 Super Bowl Rings: 1981 San Francisco 49ers ✭ Inside The Star

44a5461a-0b1a-4043-9ef1-0ab8eb23896c_text.gif

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, layzie said:

You didn't have a go Macca? Would have been right up your alley!

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're predominately a footy/soccer player?

Cricket ... I was a suburban quick!! 30+ years!  Fair bit of coaching too (mainly cricket but a bit with footy)

Played footy from under 10's until aged 25 and a bit of soccer & baseball for a few years each as well (younger days)

As for American football, never had the inclination.  Actually, by the time I got really interested in the NFL, I would have been too old anyway

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

Cricket ... I was a suburban quick!! 30+ years!  Fair bit of coaching too (mainly cricket but a bit with footy)

Played footy from under 10's until aged 25 and a bit of soccer & baseball for a few years each as well (younger days)

As for American football, never had the inclination.  Actually, by the time I got really interested in the NFL, I would have been too old anyway

Ah Cricket! Did not know that about you. 

I'd love to play a bit of flag football I reckon. Play indoor soccer every now and then but would be good to get outside. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, layzie said:

Ah Cricket! Did not know that about you. 

I'd love to play a bit of flag football I reckon. Play indoor soccer every now and then but would be good to get outside. 

Golf only for me these days (and I'm not all that keen either!)

I work out a bit but only to stay fit and healthy.  I'm a runner so I do sprint training (the best exercise in my view)

2 hours ago, Macca said:

Golf only for me these days (and I'm not all that keen either!)

I work out a bit but only to stay fit and healthy.  I'm a runner so I do sprint training (the best exercise in my view)

Yeah running would be my preference. Used to do a lot of sprint training but I've had a few soft tissue injuries in recent times so it's been a while since I've really opened up on the track. 

• Like 1

image.png.0dae5f0bf58ade6196c378315ff217a9.png

Regular Season Tipping Competition

Year               Winner                           Silver                               Bronze

2022              DeeSpencer                  Go the Biff                      layzie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021              Go the Biff                    Clintosaurus                   DemonDave

JV7                                   layzie

Gorgoroth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2020              titan_uranus                 Gorgoroth                       Go the Biff

Clintosaurus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2019             JV7                                 Go the Biff                      Gorgoroth

Macca                              Dee Zephyr

Clintosaurus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018              DeeSpencer                 Clintosaurus                   Gorgoroth

Dappa Dan                       Dee Zephyr

Macca                        

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017              Clintosaurus                 Go the Biff                      Dappa Dan

2016              Gorgoroth                     cowboy_from_hell          Clintosaurus

DeeSpencer

2015              Gorgoroth                      cowboy_from_hell         Macca

JV7

DeeSpencer

2014              Dappa Dan                     DeeSpencer                  Gorgoroth

2013              cowboy_from_hell       pantaloons                    Gorgoroth

Strafford                         Macca

Post Season Tipping Competition

Year              Winner                           Silver                              Bronze

2022             Go the Biff                    layzie                              JV7

Clintosaurus                                                          DeeSpencer           

Dee Zephyr     

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021            DemonDave                Gorgoroth                        Clintosaurus

Macca   

2020            Go the Biff                   Dee Zephyr                      Macca

2019             DemonDave                Go the Biff                       Macca

Dee Zephyr                  Gorgoroth

JV7                  

2018            Gorgoroth                      Go the Biff                      DeeSpencer

2017             Macca                           Clintosaurus                    Go the Biff

JV7

Gorgoroth

2016             Gorgoroth                      JV7                                  Clintosaurus

Macca  

2015             JV7                                 cowboy_from_hell         Gorgoroth

Macca                                                                      DeeSpencer

2014              JV7                                pantaloons                     Gorgoroth

Go the Biff                                                              Macca

2013             titan_uranus                  DemonDave                   cowboy_from_hell

Macca

Overall Medal Tally

Gold        Silver     Bronze

Go the Biff                   4              5              2

Gorgoroth                    4              3              7  

JV7                              4              3              2                              

----------------------------------------------------

Macca                           4              2             6

Clintosaurus                 3              3             4

DeeSpencer                  2              2             4

DemonDave                  2             1              1

titan_uranus                  2              0             0

cowboy_from_hell       1              3              1

Dee Zephyr                               1              3 

Dappa Dan                    1              1              1

Strafford                        1              0              0

pantaloons                    0              2              0

layzie                              0              1              2

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JV7 said:

Thought I went the KC 😂🤦‍♂️ 

Thanks as always Macca, great fun each year! Thoroughly enjoyed the tipping comp... No matter how easy it seems on paper!

When any of us are picking a margin of 1-6 then we could just as easily pick one team or the other

And with a small margin being  the likely outcome,  the team that had the ball last (aside from 8 seconds) was likely to win with a late score.  But which team?  Fine lines when 2 teams are evenly matched

The fumble return which gave KC 7 points was a big moment but the Eagles did score the next 10 points after that. 

Reality is that KC were scoring at will in the 2nd half (24 points) and to me, that was the difference.  The Eagles couldn't stop them scoring yet Philadelphia had the renowned defence (including 1st overall in the regular season for passing yards allowed)

Edited by Macca

9 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Yup, played u23 and seniors for Croydon Rangers, Ouside linebacker and running back. 

The Beast!!  Or Beastmode!

Do you remember Strafford saying that he played as well? 

And I'm up Croydon way with work on occasions and sometimes see the Rangers practising (of sorts) ... haven't seen them with all the gear on though

I can't believe this thread has been going for 13 years and the awards have been going almost 10 years now,

what a great place to keep an interest in the NFL with other Dees fans! Thanks Macca for keeping us all engaged.

I watched the Superbowl at the Corner Hotel this year, atmosphere was pretty decent, American food was good.
The game itself was a sensational showcase, I turned to my mate at kickoff and said 'lets hope it's a shootout'.
The girl in full Eagles gear to my left was horrified at that thought, but thats what we got. I think the better overall team on the day won, but thought Hurts had the better of the QB duel.

Roll on the next NFL Season!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Macca said:

The Beast!!  Or Beastmode!

Do you remember Strafford saying that he played as well? 

And I'm up Croydon way with work on occasions and sometimes see the Rangers practising (of sorts) ... haven't seen them with all the gear on though

I was good at linebacker, made vic squad, less so at running back, but tbh in the early 90s we pretty much all played both sides of the ball and special teams and it was much easier on D than offence. 

I don’t remember strafford saying that, but my memory is poor 😂

I saw a pic a while ago and the uniforms have changed a bit from what I played in and the emblem is totally different.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 10:47 PM, Gorgoroth said:

I was good at linebacker, made vic squad, less so at running back, but tbh in the early 90s we pretty much all played both sides of the ball and special teams and it was much easier on D than offence. 

I don’t remember strafford saying that, but my memory is poor 😂

I saw a pic a while ago and the uniforms have changed a bit from what I played in and the emblem is totally different.

Oh boy, Croydon.  I was at the Warriors when they were Nunawading, in fact we lost a Vic Bowl to you guys. Bitter, bitter rivalry. They had some brilliant players though.

I was an outside linebacker as well, predominately in a 3-4 alignment. Didn't get to Vic squad status but worked hard for a few seasons to become a regular starter which I was really proud of, then I got injured haha.

I played both sides a bit in juniors but in the seniors we'd regularly have 40 guys on the roster. This was the early 2000s so the profile of Gridiron in VIC was steadily growing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Oh boy, Croydon.  I was at the Warriors when they were Nunawading, in fact we lost a Vic Bowl to you guys. Bitter, bitter rivalry. They had some brilliant players though.

I was an outside linebacker as well, predominately in a 3-4 alignment. Didn't get to Vic squad status but worked hard for a few seasons to become a regular starter which I was really proud of, then I got injured haha.

I played both sides a bit in juniors but in the seniors we'd regularly have 40 guys on the roster. This was the early 2000s so the profile of Gridiron in VIC was steadily growing. 

We had to play pretty much both sides. Didn’t have enough playing back then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 10:06 AM, layzie said:

What was the story with Bobby Wagner Gorg? Was there any chance to re-sign or was it likely a one and done scenario?

Always more a one and done. Maybe if we had won another but the money for the second year wasn’t realistic.

• Like 1