Did you want McMahon to kick the goal?

LeBron James

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm an avid anti-tanker - I want us to try to win, not try to lose. But I'm a pro-experimenter - I want us to try out as many experiments, no matter how counter-intuitive or left-field, for the rest of this year so that we can find out as much as we possibly can about things that might help us in the years to come.

I have no doubt that if we'd had 22 fit players in the last quarter, Newton & PJ would have spent the whole of it on the pine. Some of DB's experimental moves actually worked so well as experiments (Warnock & Frawley forward, Miller onto the ball) that they nearly brought us a win.

But I'm 100% glad that McMahon kicked it. And 100% glad that the players gave it everything; they left nothing on the field. And 100% glad that some of the experiments worked and we learned heaps that will be valuable for the future.

It's a hopeful sign that the footy gods might be thinking that we've had enough adversity and that they need to start pushing things (like Scully) our way.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an avid anti-tanker - I want us to try to win, not try to lose. But I'm a pro-experimenter - I want us to try out as many experiments, no matter how counter-intuitive or left-field, for the rest of this year so that we can find out as much as we possibly can about things that might help us in the years to come.

I have no doubt that if we'd had 22 fit players in the last quarter, Newton & PJ would have spent the whole of it on the pine. Some of DB's experimental moves actually worked so well as experiments (Warnock & Frawley forward, Miller onto the ball) that they nearly brought us a win.

But I'm 100% glad that McMahon kicked it. And 100% glad that the players gave it everything; they left nothing on the field. And 100% glad that some of the experiments worked and we learned heaps that will be valuable for the future.

It's a hopeful sign that the footy gods might be thinking that we've had enough adversity and that they need to start pushing things (like Scully) our way.

You are trying to have your cake and eat it too.

I won't let you, you have to give yourself up the hell that the rest of us are in.

Experimentation is a tactic of tanking.

If you are pro-experimentation, you are pro-tanking.

Simple as that.

Edited by rpfc

First thing I did after the game was buy a McMahon badge, 100% not joking

Awesome!!! That Badge will be worth Serious $$ one day at an Auction. Good on ya Buddy.

I'll make a bet with both of you. Any Jordan McMahon badge won't fetch more than 20cents in 20 years time.

Edited by Einstein

LOL. Hey, if Tom Scully wins a Norm Smith medal, I'll be more than thrilled to lose any bet by any margin WYL.

Good Man Albert, I have already told work i am indisposed for at least a fortnight when Melbourne win the 13th Flag. I plan to indulge in much partying. We shall consume...

Love it! The worst player in the AFL kicks a goal that delivers Scully to us - fantastic!

You should have heard the Tiges' supporters on the radio - they are soooo filthy that their team doesn't play for the future.

What a great day!!

Strange day. The tigers were pathetic, so pathetic I thought they were tanking. These remaining 4 rounds will be 'harder' in obtaining the priority pick than I think we all were led to believe. Certainly I did anyway. All 4 games that remain our side is capable of winning.

Why?

1)Because these players are hell bent on playing for their future careers.

2)All of the positional moves and lack of rotations will ensure different matchups that could achieve a win - as it nearly did against Richmond.

3)North and Freo are clearly beatable.

4)Whilst they will go in as favourites - for it's a certainty - Carlton only just got over North and St Kilda could get more injuries - and the fact that many have stated they need a loss at some stage prior to the finals...

no - I was not happy he kicked it!

I am sick of the tanking debate- that kick after the siren can't be orchestrated- we were trying to win although we did not have many number 1 team players in! Which means how bad are Richmond!

Firstly, I didn't think he'd get the distance, but he nailed it on contact.

Secondly, Richmond were deplorable. They didn't deserve to win that game. Which is most likely why Rawlings said the win felt hollow.

Yeah, I did.

I wanted fate to do us a favour for once.

Can relate to that.

Absolutely.

McMahon...ha! One of the worst players in the comp. Lucky to kick it, lucky to get the mark. About time things go our way, what a horrible thing to say.

I and about 10 others in the Bullring (I couldn't watch it from my seat) all cheered.

Horrible situation.

The one thing McMahon will be remembered for in history.

Why would everyone want us to lose?

We haven't won our 4 games yet.

Freo is to come. That's why..

Trying to build a team?

It's not complicated.

This is how footy goes:

18 players are on the field for each team, all in different positions.

Each player works together to try and beat the opposition.

The only way of building a team is by winning.

The only way of building a team for a shot at a Flag is by obtaining some of the best young talent in the system legally first, as well as winning.

You're an idiot. Sorry to have to say that. No one here is suggesting that players don't try to win. They do. It's the coaches that don't want to win.

And perhap's the club.

Good call.

Essendon don't look like winning a final for almost a decade.

They did two-three weeks ago. The wheels appear to have fallen off.

The one thing McMahon will be remembered for in history.

Ironically moreso by Demons Supporters than by those of the Tigers.

Quite fondly too.

And I caught Malcolm Blight use the term 'ironical' during the cats game on the weekend.

I obviously gave him far too much credit in the past...

And I caught Malcolm Blight use the term 'ironical' during the cats game on the weekend.

I obviously gave him far too much credit in the past...

ironical

an adjectival variation of ironic

The ironical thing is that most people think ironical is an improper form of ironic.

Couldn't help myself...

That's the one.

I walked away from today very positive about our future for so many reasons.

And that's exactly why Mick Hypocrite, KB, Andy Maher, Voss, Caro and all the others who oooze smug self righteousness (or is it jealousy?) can squeal all they like... Sunday was about as good as it can get at this stage of this season. Grimes, Pettard, Jurrah, Watts, Scully, Morton, Jones plus... heaps more young potential. Eat your hearts out (esp. Tiger supporters).

You hit the nail on the head Jaded, we walked away Sunday with so many reasons to be positive!

ironical

an adjectival variation of ironic

The ironical thing is that most people think ironical is an improper form of ironic.

Couldn't help myself...

And that ladies and gentlemen is how.....

Don't worry rpfc, I won't go there..

:P

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I just wish that when I finally go to sleep that I will wake up and it will be Oct 1st. This stuff is ripping my soul apart. I want nothing but a Demon win each week but I know that a couple of the best kids in Aus will be a good thing. I felt sick when we lost by that kick, sicker when I came here and saw that Demons supporters were happy, and then a part of me died when I found out that some of us were singing the tigers song after the game. I haven't missed a game (Real or TV) for at least 10 years but I'm not sure I can watch this week. I just don't know how to feel. I can see how the 2 best kids deal might give us a flag but what is happening is a disgrace to the jumper and all those great men who wore it. And I think that the players feel the same as me. I just hope that Moloney or Grimes are not destroyed by what is happening to the team they bleed red and blue for. Please AFL never let this happen again.

Edited by Rojik of the Arctic

Please AFL never let this happen again.

If at some stage in the future we spend 3 whole seasons on the bottom, I would want to at least have the benefit of good picks.

It is an unfortunate situation for fans, but the PP is there for a reason, and it will help us enormously. It's not the biggest evil in the AFL, and it is the only system that does not discriminate against us because we're poor or unpopular.

Take Morton, Maric, Watts, Blease, Scully and pick 2/3 out of the team, and we're a further 4 years away from getting off the bottom. No thanks!

I just wish that when I finally go to sleep that I will wake up and it will be Oct 1st. This stuff is ripping my soul apart. I want nothing but a Demon win each week but I know that a couple of the best kids in Aus will be a good thing. I felt sick when we lost by that kick, sicker when I came here and saw that Demons supporters were happy, and then a part of me died when I found out that some of us were singing the tigers song after the game. I haven't missed a game (Real or TV) for at least 10 years but I'm not sure I can watch this week. I just don't know how to feel. I can see how the 2 best kids deal might give us a flag but what is happening is a disgrace to the jumper and all those great men who wore it. And I think that the players feel the same as me. I just hope that Moloney or Grimes are not destroyed by what is happening to the team they bleed red and blue for. Please AFL never let this happen again.

Won't be long now Rojik. It's the AFL that needs to be blamed in this instance. They're the ones who dangled the carrot. They're the ones all for an even competition. Whatever the case - we need it anyway. The list resembled swiss cheese when ND left. Smelly at that too.

I agree with your thoughts on Moloney, Grimes etc. I'm sure they are mature enough to play the game they love, and let the rest take care of itself.

Forever how long things have seemed negative on these forums with respect to this issue. It will be the flipside between Sep - March '10. There will be lot's of positive posts if things work out the way we all want. :)