Liam Jurrah

Roost It

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North recognised that he was talented but were not prepared to commit to the transition of LJ to the aspects surrounding footy life.

So North, in your own words, were wary of recruiting an Indigenous player. Filp, Flop, Flip, Flop. You're too easy.

So North, in your own words, were wary of recruiting an Indigenous player. Filp, Flop, Flip, Flop. You're too easy.

It was a specific comment in regard to a specific player that was given to me by a member of the North footy department.

Not a generalisation. The fact they were prepared to do the research and investigation of player before making a decision hardly reflects a "wariness of indigenous players". They have about four indigenous players already on their list. Its the sort of decision that they could make about any player regardless of culture.

Not that you would pick the difference anyway.

It was a specific comment in regard to a specific player that was given to me by a member of the North footy department.

Not a generalisation. The fact they were prepared to do the research and investigation of player before making a decision hardly reflects a "wariness of indigenous players". They have about four indigenous players already on their list. Its the sort of decision that they could make about any player regardless of culture.

Not that you would pick the difference anyway.

Well the thread is labelled "Liam Jurrah"

All recruiters when doing the research on indigenous players would be factoring in , or wary, about the go- home factor, just as Victorian clubs who draft players from West Australian clubs take it into consideration. Indighenous players have the added cultural differences which make recruiters more careful when selecting them. The high percentage of indigenous players on AFL lists as against society as a whole is competely to do with their sublime talents and has nothing to do with your assertion that a players culture is not factored in to recruiting. The fact that you suggest that a player with Liam's talent would be a 3rd round pick backs up my argument.

Liam has a long way to go, but so far so good, and i reckon he's ready to rumble on the big stage. one thing you will never have to worry about with Liam, and that's stage fright.

He also does not like watching Melbourne getting beaten, and wants to help them win games. I reckon it's about time to unleash the Warlpiri Warrior.

Love your updates Rudeboy. It's all good news. I get more and more excited about Liam each time you post on here.

I think the misconception and labelling of certain groups in the community is a case of naive stereotyping by supporters.

To suggest that recruiters are often wary of indigenous talent is spot on and isn't "naive stereotyping" by supporters. To suggest otherwise is naive.

I think there is a bit of truth in both these comments.

I genuinely believe however, that recruiters today would be stupid to be wary of a player merely because he is of indigenous origin. No doubt concerns still exist and in some cases there is a wariness, but compared to the situation 20 or 30 years ago, I would believe recruiters today are alot smarter than that.

For one thing, nobody can lump indigenous players in the one basket. Some come from the inner city, some from the suburbs, some from the country and others from remote communities. Each case needs to be treated differently. Recruiters would be silly to not consider their background and how it may or may not impede their development as an AFL footballer, and in some cases, there would be genuine issues raised as to their ability to adjust to the demands of professional football and life in the city.

But I do believe there still exists stereotyping, that indigenous players have trouble with this or trouble with that. There have no doubt been examples where the stereotype is reinforced. But for the most part, I believe these concerns have been proven to be myths. That around 13% of the league is now made up of indigenous talent I believe shows that recruiters for the most part have moved beyond the stereotypical concerns associated with aboriginal players.

The fact that Liam Jurrah is currently on an AFL list I think proves this also. I don't think a club would have taken the chance and bothered themselves with the issues that may confront a young man coming from a remote region of the country 20 years ago. But today, well it's happened and it's a great thing. I think it shows further progress in these areas.

My own dad left his community as a teenager and came down to Melbourne on his own to see if he could crack it in the VFA or VFL. This was over 40 years ago, in the mid-60's. For a young aboriginal man to do that in those days was unheard of. Unfortnately he couldn't make it in the big leagues for whatever reasons, and maybe concerns relating to his background prevented him from getting a chance. He died when I was very young, so I never had the chance to ask him about it. So who knows? But whatever happened, he remained in Melbourne even after he busted his ankle and never played again. He adjusted to city life very well in a time when such issues would have concerned recruiters very much. It's only one example, and I wouldn't generalise it, but it shows that even back then, these concerns could be found to have no basis.

Not that he needs the affirmation of validity but you can take everything RudeBoy says on here as absolute gospel - he is very close to Liam. Those of us here close to Liam who live in Yuendumu, and are part of the Yuendumu Footy Club (l am club secretary and work at www.mttheo.org where Liam was a youth mentor/leader), are extremely grateful for his (and his families) very active care, support and guidance of Liam over the last 2 years. And the Dees fans should be grateful too because l/we have no doubt Liam would not still be in Melbourne if he had not found a family with RudeBoy - before the truly excellent additional support he has now found with Aaron, Aussie and the Melbourne Footy Club (most notably Development Coach Ian Flack).

Great stuff Japaljarri. Would love to see the MFC develop a relationship with the Yuendumu footy club and community over the coming years. Would be great for everyone associated with both clubs.

Well the thread is labelled "Liam Jurrah"

All recruiters when doing the research on indigenous players would be factoring in , or wary, about the go- home factor, just as Victorian clubs who draft players from West Australian clubs take it into consideration. Indighenous players have the added cultural differences which make recruiters more careful when selecting them. The high percentage of indigenous players on AFL lists as against society as a whole is competely to do with their sublime talents and has nothing to do with your assertion that a players culture is not factored in to recruiting. The fact that you suggest that a player with Liam's talent would be a 3rd round pick backs up my argument.

Firstly the go home factor is also factor in non indigenous people (eg Chris Judd, Scott Thompson and Josh Carr). Its a risk with all players taken out of their home state. Its a matter that needs to be assessed individually for all players.

The fact that the recruiters are prepared to recruit such a high proportion of indigenous players is a testimony to their talent and the fact that they are not wary and they do their research on each player and are prepared to recruit them. Hardly wary based on the strike rate

I think the fact that Jurrah has not come through traditional football channels make it hard to assess his talent relative to other players so there is unknown factor . This furthermore suggest that Jurrah has had limited coaching exposure and access to ex AFL experience and exposure suggest he would require additional development to understand modern football thinking. Physically he also need signficant development on his aerobic fitness and body mass for AFL. His potential is balanced by number of areas that he is potentially underdone in.

And if you had taken the time to read and absorb Rude Boy's informative comments on Jurrah you would realise that Jurrah's background from a geographically remote Aborginal community with little or no exposure to Western lifestyles and no previous traditions of local footballers making it in the AFL is truly unique and indeed not representative at all of the backgrounds of most indigenous players. Its does little to back your argument but does highlight your passion for generalisations. Well done.

I genuinely believe however, that recruiters today would be stupid to be wary of a player merely because he is of indigenous origin. No doubt concerns still exist and in some cases there is a wariness, but compared to the situation 20 or 30 years ago, I would believe recruiters today are alot smarter than that.

For one thing, nobody can lump indigenous players in the one basket. Some come from the inner city, some from the suburbs, some from the country and others from remote communities. Each case needs to be treated differently. Recruiters would be silly to not consider their background and how it may or may not impede their development as an AFL footballer, and in some cases, there would be genuine issues raised as to their ability to adjust to the demands of professional football and life in the city.

But I do believe there still exists stereotyping, that indigenous players have trouble with this or trouble with that. There have no doubt been examples where the stereotype is reinforced. But for the most part, I believe these concerns have been proven to be myths. That around 13% of the league is now made up of indigenous talent I believe shows that recruiters for the most part have moved beyond the stereotypical concerns associated with aboriginal players.

My own dad left his community as a teenager and came down to Melbourne on his own to see if he could crack it in the VFA or VFL. This was over 40 years ago, in the mid-60's. For a young aboriginal man to do that in those days was unheard of. Unfortnately he couldn't make it in the big leagues for whatever reasons, and maybe concerns relating to his background prevented him from getting a chance. He died when I was very young, so I never had the chance to ask him about it. So who knows? But whatever happened, he remained in Melbourne even after he busted his ankle and never played again. He adjusted to city life very well in a time when such issues would have concerned recruiters very much. It's only one example, and I wouldn't generalise it, but it shows that even back then, these concerns could be found to have no basis.

Good post Einstein. And wonderful recount on your Dad. I had heard stories about Syd Jackson playing VFL football and he did suffer a number of racial and culture challenges to make it. I am glad indegenous players are an important part of the game

Firstly the go home factor is also factor in non indigenous people (eg Chris Judd, Scott Thompson and Mitch Morton).

I think it's more a case of home coming to Mitch - isn't he a native Sandgroper? :unsure:

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but there is now a Liam Jurrah Appreciation Group on Facebook. Already a fantastic 375 members, would be great to get a heap more, so if you're into it, join and show your support to this young man who is fast becoming a source of inspiration for young people throughout the region in which he lives.

Cheers.

Also just wanted to throw in my genuine thanks to Rudeboy for the support you have offered Liam. From what I sense you have really put in to this young man and I just really want to thank you, not simply as a Demons supporter, as this as you know, goes way beyond football. Also for the updates here on Demonland, you cut to the chase and give us factual, concise information as well as silencing the regurgitators on here who take as fact the after thoughts of sloppy journolists.

Great to see Jungurrayi ripping it up at Casey, can't wait to see him in the Red and the Blue. Go Dees!

And if you had taken the time to read and absorb Rude Boy's informative comments on Jurrah you would realise that Jurrah's background from a geographically remote Aborginal community with little or no exposure to Western lifestyles and no previous traditions of local footballers making it in the AFL is truly unique and indeed not representative at all of the backgrounds of most indigenous players. Its does little to back your argument but does highlight your passion for generalisations. Well done.

And if you'd read them you'd realise that his inate talent and fantastic skills aren't just tricks.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Also just wanted to throw in my genuine thanks to Rudeboy for the support you have offered Liam. From what I sense you have really put in to this young man and I just really want to thank you, not simply as a Demons supporter, as this as you know, goes way beyond football.

Agree 100%. As much as I hope that Liam becomes a player that will be talked about for years to come it is more important that he enjoys his time at the club, makes lifelong friends and looks back at these days as some of the happiest of his life. Kudos Rudeboy. You are (and I use my highest complement here) a good bloke.

Agree 100%. As much as I hope that Liam becomes a player that will be talked about for years to come it is more important that he enjoys his time at the club, makes lifelong friends and looks back at these days as some of the happiest of his life. Kudos Rudeboy. You are (and I use my highest complement here) a good bloke.

I couldn't have said it better Rojik.

........ and Rudeboy, I get the feeling from your posts that you are constantly being rewarded by just being part of Liam's life ........ and I reckon you will be every bit as proud as he will when he makes his debut, and then (hopefully) goes on to stamp his name on our competition.

I couldn't have said it better Rojik.

........ and Rudeboy, I get the feeling from your posts that you are constantly being rewarded by just being part of Liam's life ........ and I reckon you will be every bit as proud as he will when he makes his debut, and then (hopefully) goes on to stamp his name on our competition.

You've got it in one there Deeoldfart. Jungarrayi (Liam's Warlpiri skin name) is part of our family now, and we are absolutely thrilled with what he has already achieved. It probably sounds like a cliche, but believe me we have gained so much from our relationship with this fine young man and all the mob from Yuendumu. As a fourth generation Collingwood (or is it 'filth') supporter, I never dreamed I'd take out a Demons members ticket and scream out "Go Dees" at the footy, but that's what LJ has done to me and my whole family. This is nothing short of a fu#%in miracle. I appreciate the support he's getting from Dees supporters, but just want to remind you all that in terms of football squad development, coaching and training etc, he's more like a 16 yr old player, rather than a 20 yr old. Whatever he does this year will be a pure bonus, but once he has a full pre-season under his belt and understands his role and the team's game plan etc, I expect him to set the football world alight in 2010. Go LJ and go Dees!

As much as I hope that Liam becomes a player that will be talked about for years to come it is more important that he enjoys his time at the club, makes lifelong friends and looks back at these days as some of the happiest of his life.

I'm not sure that I completely agree with these noble sentiments. 1. If you're on a Melbourne list I expect onfield output (and yes I know there are no guarantees) 2. He'll better serve his community if he's successful (I don't need to be told that success can be measured in different ways). That said, if he doesn't ultimately succeed I'm sure his community will still be very proud of him.

If he doesn't make it unfortunately he won't be by his lonesome ! But there's no more pressure on him than any other late draft pick or preseason hopeful. Ultimately, he's been given an opportunity. He has a spot on the list ahead of someone else. And I hope he can forge a career for himself as well as the club that gave him this opportunity.

It's more important to me that he makes a name for himself on field than he enjoys his time here. Otherwise he's just taking up room.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
I'm not sure that I completely agree with these noble sentiments.

Maybe I could have explained it better. I would rather Liam be a good player who is happy being a Dee than a great player who wishes he was home. Of course a superstar who loves the club would be the best result. ;)

Now go to sleep junior and dont get nightmares now.

I wonder if the Rhino brigade will want that bookmarked. Never let the facts get in the way of an insult hey R.

You've got it in one there Deeoldfart. Jungarrayi (Liam's Warlpiri skin name) is part of our family now, and we are absolutely thrilled with what he has already achieved. It probably sounds like a cliche, but believe me we have gained so much from our relationship with this fine young man and all the mob from Yuendumu. As a fourth generation Collingwood (or is it 'filth') supporter, I never dreamed I'd take out a Demons members ticket and scream out "Go Dees" at the footy, but that's what LJ has done to me and my whole family. This is nothing short of a fu#%in miracle. I appreciate the support he's getting from Dees supporters, but just want to remind you all that in terms of football squad development, coaching and training etc, he's more like a 16 yr old player, rather than a 20 yr old. Whatever he does this year will be a pure bonus, but once he has a full pre-season under his belt and understands his role and the team's game plan etc, I expect him to set the football world alight in 2010. Go LJ and go Dees!

just when i thought this couldn't get any better, we've converted a pies supporter. who were you going for on monday?

regarding LJ's development, i agree completely about the waiting part. I believe the footy dept is probably being a bit cautious with him, ie havn't given him a game yet, because so much of LJ's development isn't footy related. they know he can play footy, but they need to get him ready for footy, and the media hype etc. and he is probably in an interesting situation where he has the developed skill set of a 20 year old, but the coached club football nous of someone much younger. i imagine footy is a little different up there.

i cant wait to see LJ get a game, but i am sure it will come when he is ready, and not just skill set.

thought i'd ask, does he have a preferred name, or a nickname or anything? LJ is easy to say, jungarryi isn't quite as easy, but a shortened version could probably be effective. anything we can call out as he runs down an opposition player on the HFF and streams towards goal with the ball?

With all of Essendon's indigenous boys, the Dees could make it a special night by recalling Bennell and Jetta, and giving Jurrah his debut.

Let's showcase some young talent on Friday Night Football...

Any chance you're looking at perhaps a "Dreamtime" game initiative with the Dees v Dons in Darwin? ;)

Wow. A Maggie supporter yelling out "Go Dees" at the footy - did that take place at the Queens B'day v Collingwood? If so, that is nothing short of a "fu#%in miracle." :lol:

thought i'd ask, does he have a preferred name, or a nickname or anything? LJ is easy to say, jungarryi isn't quite as easy, but a shortened version could probably be effective. anything we can call out as he runs down an opposition player on the HFF and streams towards goal with the ball?

Or when he's standing on the back of Prestigiacomo next Queens Birthday taking a Mark Of the Year contender.....JJUUURRRAAHHH!!

How about just, Jurrah? :unsure:

His teammates call him LJ, and he seems happy with that. Back home he is called (this is how it sounds anyway) Jookaday, or sometimes just Jooka.

Just for the record, I would like Liam to kick the winning goal against the Pies next year.