Brad Green

Guest unstable punt

I dont think $ is the problem. He wants 3 years, we're offering him 2.

$ is the problem!

He is about to win our B n F. You would expect a club that wants their current best player in career best form to be around for 3 years without blinking an eyelid. Word is that green is not happy at Melbourne, and Melbourne will not be happy with anyone chasing the dollar. Times are changing at MFC for the better IMO. We could have got top dollar for Yze n White to name a few when they were at their peak several years. I think the penny may have finally dropped at the trade table and the word ``ruthless`` has been bandied around a bit in the past month or 2! I dips me lid to Brad`s past 2 years, he has been in great form and easily our most consistent but I think a trade makes perfect sense for both parties. Brad may play in a premiership for another club in the next 2 years and we get another top 20 draft pick in the most important draft in many moons!

And for those that think trading Brad is outrageous as he is such an important player, think TJ. Not too many saw that coming and most were devestated(as I was). But what a wonderful decision that has turned out to be cos TJ has not changed one iota and Jack Grimes WILL be around for our next premiership and word has it may even be Captian that day!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with trading Brad...actually I have no problem with trading anyone. it all comes down to relevance, value and team balance.

I also have no problem in keeping Brad. Its simply what is best for the team over all..and in view of going forward into a 'different" environement for the forseeable future ( If you can see more than 4 years ahead youre doing very well and btw, what are next Sat lotto numbers ?? :) )

Bailey is continually quoted as beleiving in you th and the draft..

to quote the mfc site:

"MELBOURNE coach Dean Bailey says his club has no intention of exchanging draft picks for senior players in this year's trade week.

Despite a raft of star players expected to be looking for new homes at season's end, Bailey said he had his eyes set on the long-term future.

"We’ll keep our picks," Bailey said. "We want to keep our first pick [and] we also have 17 and 19. We’ll be really keen to keep our picks.""

However.. there is nothing in this to suggest the opposite..that he wouldnt trade a Senior player for another wel positioned draft pick !! ;):rolleyes:

Posters on this topic are missing 1 basic fact: GREEN IS OUT OF CONTRACT. THUS HE CAN GO INTO THE PSD.

If he works the deal right ($'s, terms, etc) he can probably go wherever he wants in the PSD. Trading may not even be a possibility.

Green for Warnock anyone? ;)

The irony of that..even if not a direct swap..certainly an effective result...one in..one out hadnt escaped me :huh: the karma gods at work... <_<

He's seen the glory, he's told the story

Of battles glorious and deeds victorious

But he will cease now, he is at peace now

Far from these GREEN hills of Tyrol

Because these GREEN hills are not highland hills

Or the Islands hills they're not my lands hills,

As fair as these GREEN foreign hills may be

They are not the hills of home..

God bless you Brad. I think you can still see the glory.

Posters on this topic are missing 1 basic fact: GREEN IS OUT OF CONTRACT. THUS HE CAN GO INTO THE PSD.

If he works the deal right ($'s, terms, etc) he can probably go wherever he wants in the PSD. Trading may not even be a possibility.

Why would he, I don't think he would want to do the dirty on us just like I don't think RWarnock wants to do the dirty on Freo & his mates.

They'd want to do the trade, Green to the Blues for their 2nd rnd pick.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

For Green to jump ship a year before he becomes eligible for veterans listing plus becoming our most senior and valuable player would be insane.

For the club to ditch Green just as he's become one of our most senior, consistent and valuable (and even versatile) players would be insane.

The best information I've heard / seen in news is that the debate is over length of contract; 2 years vs 3 years.

I'd be staggered if that was enough to sink the partnership, especially since if Green continues to perform like he did this year then his next contract will be a big bugger, and on veterans list/half salary cap rate.

There's a good chance that finalisation is a bit tricky while Capatincy / Vice Capataincy arrangements are figured out for next year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

For Green to jump ship a year before he becomes eligible for veterans listing plus becoming our most senior and valuable player would be insane.

For the club to ditch Green just as he's become one of our most senior, consistent and valuable (and even versatile) players would be insane.

The best information I've heard / seen in news is that the debate is over length of contract; 2 years vs 3 years.

I'd be staggered if that was enough to sink the partnership, especially since if Green continues to perform like he did this year then his next contract will be a big bugger, and on veterans list/half salary cap rate.

There's a good chance that finalisation is a bit tricky while Capatincy / Vice Capataincy arrangements are figured out for next year.

You make a good point here. Club still has to find the $'s tho'.

If we managed to get a pick 10-25 for green or bruce i'd take it.

althing worse than that then just keep them.

imagine having 4 top 20 picks- 2008

3 top 20 picks- 2007 (Morton, Maric and Grimes)

and probably another 3 top 20 picks in 2009 That would set us up for a complete rebuild!!!

I agree, let him go to another team for a pick between 15 - 28 will suffice. Happy with that for our future to build a classy list.

we need another top 20 draft pick. you have to ask, how are we going to get this??

it means trading a decent player (and perhaps a later pick) to a club who is willing to give up their first round choice

Aside from McLean who I cant see MFC letting go, there is no other MFC player (over 25) that would draw more mid range 2nd round draft pick at best.

we need another top 20 draft pick. you have to ask, how are we going to get this??

it means trading a decent player (and perhaps a later pick) to a club who is willing to give up their first round choice

The problem with this is.. in past years this might have had a chance to fly better, but given the ultra value of early picks this year and next it adds a different weight. Green might get a 2nd round pick...on a good day now. We may extract more with a 'bundling' package of some sorts.

Green will most likely end up staying. .but it may not be the most harmonious episode.

still all offers entertained.

Aside from McLean who I cant see MFC letting go, there is no other MFC player (over 25) that would draw more mid range 2nd round draft pick at best.

I reckon Aaron Davey would, particularly for a team like Sydney or Adelaide which desperately lack quality crumbing forwards.

There may be some others, but only if packaged with a draft pick so that it is more of an upgrade rather than a straight extra pick.

I reckon Aaron Davey would, particularly for a team like Sydney or Adelaide which desperately lack quality crumbing forwards.

There may be some others, but only if packaged with a draft pick so that it is more of an upgrade rather than a straight extra pick.

You have to work what players you are prepared to let go and at what price the market will pay.

Davey has his shortcomings but he is quick and is a playmaker. We lack that in spades. He is also a crowd and junior supporter favourite. Its not the be all and end all but its a consideration.

You would want a good pick for Davey (1sr round) . I dont think you would get the interest because most teams after underestimating in his early years have worked him out pretty well.

That said in a good side he could be very good. But neither the Hawks (Rioli), the Cats (Varcoe) nor the Bulldogs (too many little guys) will pay over the odds for him.

we wouldnt get rid of davey. bailey needs to turn him back into a forward pocket- pressure player,like he was in 04 and 05. 06 and 07 and this year playing midfield and up the ground more he does nothing

Trade: Green- and any other plays like bartram, dunn in a package