Brad Green

Guest unstable punt

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Note that I like Green. I simply don't think he'll be around for our next flag tilt,

Really?

I'm thinking that it'll take another 2-3 years before we play finals again. At that time Green will be 29 or 30... and given his outstanding professionalism, and training excellence I would have thought he could contribute (certainly as a leader) up to 32...

Are you serious?

I would trade 80% of our list for a top-5 pick.

With salary cap reductions and a list that's likely to mature together, we have to make room for future contract negotiations or we leave ourselves open to losing seriously good players.

The first part.... do you include Brad in the 80%? That would surprise me. He's a really good player who has led like no other this year. I would think that next to recruiting youth, the most important thing would be having coaches that can develop and players that can educate... Green is one that I would be at pains to retain for thins reason. It's very attractive to have a list full of 18-22 year olds, but what good is it if they don't have any help from their PEERS..

Again we are at a place where yo need to keep a sound mind and not panic. Green may stay, he may not. We may have the say, we may not. Who knows at present.

The element i find a tad humorous is that every year there is someone who steps up a bit..and suddenly they are untouchable or untradable. In the end NO ONE really is either. You make the best fist of whatever hand you have or can re trade for.

Brads been pretty solid for us this year, thats good..if he's with us next year Id expect even better. If the club cannont afford him..or make agreement in whatever shape or form then you simply have to take away whatever value is on offer from the highest camp and trade. Theres no point sookin gover it or gettin petulant..what is..IS.

We arent exactly a team of tier ones are we. Green is good..but probably not as good to the open market as we value him. This effect is same all around. Keep in mind..hes a rare semi shining glimmer in an otherwise less than illustrious bottom side ( at present ) Point being..dont fall into the trap of making him out to be anymore than he is. If Trapper was worth 14 last year..then Green ought to be worth normally a high first rounder. However this is not a normal year. First round picks will be a premium. I would think a low 2nd round pick may be a reality..or he may participate in a 3 party trade.

Like many Id rather keep Brad..I think he has the right stuff for the Dees..but if he's to go ..so be it..lets just do it well..for us !!

Unless something goes horribly wrong, he'll win our B&F this year

Really?

I'm thinking that it'll take another 2-3 years before we play finals again. At that time Green will be 29 or 30... and given his outstanding professionalism, and training excellence I would have thought he could contribute (certainly as a leader) up to 32...

Let's work off Stynes' projection - finals 3-5, premiership 5-7.

Green would be 30-32, 32-34. A draftee we pick up would be 20-22, 22-25.

There's no guarantee Green would be playing come our next tilt, let alone at a high level. If we pick a young player, he should have played 50-100 games if he's made the grade.

If the draftee doesn't make it, we're missing a 32+ year old Green for our next flag tilt. In the intervening years, Green may have been able to find success at another Club. Worth the risk, IMO.

Rogue..youre right..Its asalient point lost on many.. The big picture is really about where we are in 2-3 years time. Yes we ought to do better nexy year..but thats hardly a reach !! :rolleyes:

If Brad gets too cute about negotiations then we as a club need to learn form the past mistakes of Ooze etc and release him to freshen up oportunties elsewhere.

Now Id like him to stay...and much is probably typical cash table games etc.. But We need to position ourselves forward..not concern too much about today as such

Observation ...how many times do we see a Melbourne player put in a blinder of a year ..........just prior to contract time ? :huh: <_<

Let's work off Stynes' projection - finals 3-5, premiership 5-7.

There's no guarantee Green would be playing come our next tilt, let alone at a high level. If we pick a young player, he should have played 50-100 games if he's made the grade.

If the draftee doesn't make it, we're missing a 32+ year old Green for our next flag tilt. In the intervening years, Green may have been able to find success at another Club. Worth the risk, IMO.

But without the Brad Green's of the world, we actually won't be competetive enough to reach the premiership window.

I can sort of see what people are trying to get at when they say you can't have a team full of kids and no older experienced players around them

but I'm with you, if the trade is right, I would take it.

I personally think someone will step up, show leadership and fill his role on field and off. Maybe a Brock, a Nath, Moloney, Rivers, Weetra or a bolter might come along Bate, Dunn, Frank, Colin might step up and provide that leadership.

But without the Brad Green's of the world, we actually won't be competetive enough to reach the premiership window.

Firstly, I disagree.

However, if we take your assertion to be true, what's the point in being carried into finals by Green and other old players if they're going to be done and dusted when our flag tilt opportunity opens up?

I mean we made finals in '06 and a few people got excited about what was to come, but it was clear we were not going to progress after '06, given the state of our list - our key players were all past their peak, and we had too many young and inexperienced players in our best 22.

If we can't get there on the back of what's currently our younger brigade, who will be at or approaching their peak in the projected premiershop window, we're wasting our time. If Green's around for our next flag tilt, I suggest that he'll only be some icing on the cake, not the cake itself.

Observation: - If Brad Green had not played as well as he has so far this year, there would be supporters lining up from Kingdom Kum to push him out the door come trade time this year.

If he'd had a poor year we'd be getting nothing for him come trade time this year.

Observation ...how many times do we see a Melbourne player put in a blinder of a year ..........just prior to contract time ? :huh: <_<

Ah-ha. Good timing it seems. Same with Fev at carlton.

Or is it just coincidence? -_-

Ah-ha. Good timing it seems. Same with Fev at carlton.

Or is it just coincidence? -_-

Difference being.. Fev is a potential 100 goaler..in a team looking at playing finals next year..

we...well.. :rolleyes:

If you could turn it on and off like a tap, you'd simply play well all of the time, surely..?

Agree. But there would be some - not all mind you, who could and would turn it on a little more when its renewal season. Fev would have been awake to this. That little bit extra effort in preparation, concentration, application and dedication.

edit: I wouldn't normally associate those words with Fev. :unsure:

edit: I wouldn't normally associate those words with Fev. :unsure:

you're excused... not many would !! :lol:

Again we are at a place where yo need to keep a sound mind and not panic. Green may stay, he may not. We may have the say, we may not. Who knows at present.

The element i find a tad humorous is that every year there is someone who steps up a bit..and suddenly they are untouchable or untradable. In the end NO ONE really is either. You make the best fist of whatever hand you have or can re trade for.

Brads been pretty solid for us this year, thats good..if he's with us next year Id expect even better. If the club cannont afford him..or make agreement in whatever shape or form then you simply have to take away whatever value is on offer from the highest camp and trade. Theres no point sookin gover it or gettin petulant..what is..IS.

We arent exactly a team of tier ones are we. Green is good..but probably not as good to the open market as we value him. This effect is same all around. Keep in mind..hes a rare semi shining glimmer in an otherwise less than illustrious bottom side ( at present ) Point being..dont fall into the trap of making him out to be anymore than he is. If Trapper was worth 14 last year..then Green ought to be worth normally a high first rounder. However this is not a normal year. First round picks will be a premium. I would think a low 2nd round pick may be a reality..or he may participate in a 3 party trade.

Like many Id rather keep Brad..I think he has the right stuff for the Dees..but if he's to go ..so be it..lets just do it well..for us !!

I too like BG, but look how Hawthorn have turned it around with earlish picks. They traded or delisted Holland, Harford, Graham etc, all favorite sons types.

Definately a must, we need to load up on young kids and bide our time.

For too long the MFC have over rated players and finally they traded someone worth something in Johnstone and hopefully Grimes will show in the future that it was a wise move.

For too long the MFC have over rated players and finally they traded someone worth something in Johnstone and hopefully Grimes will show in the future that it was a wise move.

Even if Grimes doesn't play a game, it'll have been worth the risk (ignoring the 'culture' arguments with regards TJ's off-field shenanigans). TJ won't be playing at AFL level in 3-5 years, let alone 5-7.

I too like BG, but look how Hawthorn have turned it around with earlish picks. They traded or delisted Holland, Harford, Graham etc, all favorite sons types.

Definately a must, we need to load up on young kids and bide our time.

Turning over the list is always a must, and that has happened recently (prior to last year it was ordinary) and will continue to happen as our older lot retire.

We will be losing some of our "favourite sons" in the next couple of years.

As for Green it all depends on what any offer would be, and frankly I can't see any club offering a first round pick or even a low second round pick, which is exactly what we would be expecting for a player of his importance to us. Which is why he may remain more important to us than on the open market.

The draft is compromised for everyone and they all have futures to think about as well (even the currently successful ones).

And I still think there needs to be a couple of older players (mentors) to take care of the kids, and with or without a pick for Brad there will still be plenty of kids which we will be able to put our future in the hands of. But a few old heads never hurt anyone, especially a couple of classy ones like Green or McDonald.

But again it all depends on what is on offer.

Turning over the list is always a must, and that has happened recently (prior to last year it was ordinary) and will continue to happen as our older lot retire.

We will be losing some of our "favourite sons" in the next couple of years.

In the past we have tended to reward them with 3 year top dollar contracts above and beyond their useful football lives. :(

Even if Grimes doesn't play a game, it'll have been worth the risk (ignoring the 'culture' arguments with regards TJ's off-field shenanigans). TJ won't be playing at AFL level in 3-5 years, let alone 5-7.

TJ has done nothing this year that would make me regret trading him.

The draft is compromised for everyone and ...

it certainly is.. but in Orwellian fashion...its more compromised for some !! :)

Teams in the field who may have a shot..or a window open in the next couple of years ..and who dont have a lots of early pix this year..and unlikely to have even that next year and after ,may look very favourable on a ready made who will last 2-3 years !! In that manner someone like Brad is far more valuable to some teams than others..possibly even us !!

Teams in the field who may have a shot..or a window open in the next couple of years ..and who dont have a lots of early pix this year..and unlikely to have even that next year and after may look very favourable on a ready made who will last 2-3 years !! In that manner someone like Brad is far more valuable to some teams than others..possibly even us !!

Indeed - you need to make hay while the sun shines in this competition.

Indeed - you need to make hay while the sun shines in this competition.

Off he goes then, to anyone willing to offer us anything ;) !!!

Off he goes then, to anyone willing to offer us anything ;) !!!

To imply that I'd take 'anything' for Green is incorrect. While I normally agree with you, I think this is another of your posts in this thread that's way off the mark ;)

If it wasn't clear, I agree with bb's assertion that some Clubs may value Green more than you suggest, because they feel they're relatively close to a flag tilt.

Due to the draft, you need to make hay while the sun shines. Thus, teams may want to pay slightly 'over the mark' for Green because they feel he can help their chance at a flag, which they need to take before their opportunity disappears, as is the cyclical nature of footy.