Davey Future Captain Material

Cards13

Article From: http://news.realfooty.com.au/sport/davey-c...80708-3aj3.html

Davey could captain Demons, says coach

- Melbourne coach Dean Bailey says star player Aaron Davey's voluntary confession of misbehaviour could be a step towards him becoming a leader at the AFL club.

- Davey missed a morning flight home to Melbourne two days before the Demons' last match - against Brisbane on June 29.

The previous night he had been out drinking with friends in Darwin, after attending a funeral.

Bailey said the club became fully aware of the incident only after Davey owned up following the surprise one-point win over the Lions.

"It wasn't until after the game that he felt that it was almost eating him up inside, I think, he really felt like he let his teammates down and his club down," Bailey said.

-Davey's suspension continues a tough disciplinary stance by the club this year.

- "We don't intend to take a backward step, there are behaviours and there are expectations placed on all players and if you cross the line, you get to deal with the leadership group and the rest of their peers," Bailey said.

"They've been very strong with their stance and that will still be the case for the rest of the year and years to come."

- "The names are not there, but the intensity, the attitude, the competitiveness, that type of player still should be representing the Melbourne Football Club on Sunday regardless," Bailey said.

"The names mean something, but at the end of the day it's your input, your effect on the game, what you're prepared to do for the team is still the same.

"There's still going to be 22 Melbourne jumpers playing and those 22 are still going to represent us as well as they can."

Bails has been consitant in his approach and rhetoric from day 1 and it is great to hear and SEE the actions taking place out on the field by the players he is developing to these standards on and off the field. The intensity, attitude and competitivness bit gave me tingles.

Cant see it happening within his time range at the MFC.

I think McLean will be our next captain. And that will last 5 odd years. The captain after will be Grimes Jack.

I think McLean will be our next captain. And that will last 5 odd years. The captain after will be Grimes Jack.

I'm not sure he said he will be Captain?

Love Davey on the field but don't see him as captain....next captain Brad Green.

Aaron will not be captain of the MFC but that is nothing against him, he is a super player, but just look at the dominant teams over the years, full of super players but always just one captain. Usually I love the empowerment that Bails is giving our players, and the hardline approach to poor preparation, not doing the team thing and showing the discipline required for an elite team in the comp. Yes, we're not dominating on the field, but the point is that in the next few years when we are, we will have the right mindset behind us.

Agree with what's already been said. I don't see him as a captain of the future because there are others that would make better leaders. However, I'm more than happy for him to be part of the leadership group if his actions demand it. I don't think there's such a thing as too many leaders.

Agree with what's already been said. I don't see him as a captain of the future because there are others that would make better leaders. However, I'm more than happy for him to be part of the leadership group if his actions demand it. I don't think there's such a thing as too many leaders.

Agree.

However I thought the article was more an effective way of diffusing media interest in what should be an internal MFC matter. It was well handled by the Club.

I'm not sure he said he will be Captain?

He's not going to be captain, just part of the leadership group.

Green won't be our captain as he will be traded at year's end.

He's not going to be captain, just part of the leadership group.

Green won't be our captain as he will be traded at year's end.

How many clubs trade a bloke who has just won their best and fairest?

How many clubs trade a bloke who has just won their best and fairest?

If we want another first round draft pick he is the only player capable of getting us one, thus for mine we should trade him. Tough but fair in the circumstance

Hmmmm !!! :huh:

Very left field this. Others have noted he is an unlikley actual caption but the showing of some such traits is to be applauded.

What is to be more applauded is you're not stupid enough to do it in the first place <_<

Guest unstable punt
Love Davey on the field but don't see him as captain....next captain Brad Green.

l reckon Green should get it for a couple of years but l don't think he will, they might give it to Bruce next year