The holes in our list

sylvinator

We need to be looking at the gaps in our list for 2010, because Neitz, McDonald, White, Whelan, Holland, Yze and Carrol will have reitred by then and we will have been able to fully clean out our list of the rubbish (Bode, Weetra, Jamar, C.Johnson, Buckley (probably Meesan and Wheatley too).

The players to survive on our list for 2010:

KP defenders: Martin, Garland, Rivers, Warnock, Frawley (perhaps McNamara?)

KP forwards: Miller, (Newton?)

running defenders: Bell, Bartram (perhaps Cheney?)

Midfielders: Mclean, Moloney, Jones, Valenti, Grimes, Dunn, Morton

Forward flankers: Wonaeamirri, Davey, Maric, Bate, Sylvia, Pettard

Ruckman: P.Johnson

(Veterans- Robertson, Bruce, Green)

I think this list clearly shows the holes we need to aim our drafting towards in the next 2 years.

Problem areas----

1) Ruck: We have a golden opportunity this year to fix up the Ruck problem with Naitanui (pick 1) and Warnock (PSD 1).

2) KP Forwards: As shown above, this is a huge problem area. pick 17 AND possibly pick 18 should be used to try to fix this problem.

3) Pacey midfielders: we have the grunt, hard working midfielders. We need to fast finishers now. Draft appropriotly.

4) running defenders: Wat used to be our strength is now clearly a weakness.

Clearly the next 2 years drafting is critical.

What do people foresee as our real weaknesses in 2 years time and what types of players are most critical to be aiming at on draft day?

Well, with pick 1 we could really fix a few areas.

If Bailey wants a key forward, then Jack Watts is all the rage at the moment, and word is that by draft time he will be the favorite to be picked number 1.

We could then get Robbie Warnock in the PSD.

Or we could get Rich with pick 1 to help bolster the mideifler, which needs some excitement.

Or we could of course still get Natanui, then maybe go for someone other than Warnock in the PSD. Or go for both ruckmen.

Whatever the case, its obvious how important it is to finish 16th and have pick 1 in both drafts.

And I disagree about the running defenders part. Garland has shown he is extremely gifted in that area, and we have Petterd, Grimes and Buckley coming through also. We are stacked in that area.

IMHO, our holes are the same as they were a year ago - talls and pace.

I'm betting that a couple of those 'rubbish' players will still be on our list in 2010, and I doubt Carroll will retire (but may be delisted, which is the same result I suppose).

And I disagree about the running defenders part

...and I agree with Y_M. It's fairly easy to fill those gaps with lower draft picks, relative to the difficulty of getting decent talls.

I don't think Buckley is rubbish who we should hope is gone in 2 years.

I also still have hope in CJ.

Agree with others.

I believe we desperately need to finish on the bottom to fix the ruck issue, Natanui and Warnock should sure us up for 10 years with PJ, Natanui could be molded to be a forward.

I beleive we don't have that big an issue with running half backmen. Bartram might only get better, Wheatley is already very good at this, I have high hopes CJ, Petterd, Grimes and Garland may also really help with this in the future, I hope.

Our midfield lacks genuine pace and skill. Jones, Beamer, Mclean are all real goers who will be playing for MFC for years to come, which is great, but we need some class and pace in there, Davey is becoming a midfielder, and should be persisted with on a wing. I believe Buckley has the pace we need, just needs to work on his skill, but can easily see him best 22 in 2 years time. But still, that's not enough. We really need to find some pace/skill from somewhere.

Morton, has the skill but not the pace and will eventually be molded to be KPP I believe.

Im praying we get the number 1 pick.

So we can add Natanui, Warnock, pick 17, 18, Grimes, Maric, Morton, Buckley another late draft pick gem, we hope! This is going to be our core young guys to help Mclean, Jones, Sylvia, Garland, Bartram, Wona etc. Get used to these guys, they are our next chance.

On the forwards issue, if Bailey can do for Newton what he has obviously done for Garland and Warnock then he very well maybe our next FF.

i think ur on crack yze_magic, theres no chance watts would go number 1 near draft time.

Agreed, it's definately Natanui, only possible chance of being ahead of him is Rich and that is only if it is West Coast, and even then despite reports is probably unlikely.

Getting Natanui and Warnock means all of a sudden we'd have 5 ruckmen on our list (Jamar and Meesen are both contracted for 2009), 6 if White plays another year. Of a list of 38 that is probably too many.

If Warnock becomes available I say we use that first pick on either Hurley or Watts. We have never drafted a truly successful KPP, this is our chance.

Having said that has Natanui got the attributes to become a key forward?

Getting Natanui and Warnock means all of a sudden we'd have 5 ruckmen on our list (Jamar and Meesen are both contracted for 2009), 6 if White plays another year. Of a list of 38 that is probably too many.

It is probably too many, yes. However, considering at least 2 of those 6 would be gone by 2010, I don't think it'd be a major problem. I'd rather be in a position where we could trade away a ruck, rather than try and recruit one.

Having said that has Natanui got the attributes to become a key forward?

I personally believe he does.

Great leap, can mark and has incredible speed.

People downplay his skills but they are not as bad as they make it out to be, they are at a fine level for a growing 198cm fijian kid. People are expecting him to kick like TJ, well of course he can't.

Just because he is the number 1 draft pick doesn't mean he won't need coaching, an AFL coaching staff will be able to fine tune his skills and he, in my opinion could be a very damaging CHF.

I would love to have Warnock as our main ruck next season, with PJ as back up, White retired. Natanui just playing at FP for a season and pinch hitting in the ruck.

It is probably too many, yes. However, considering at least 2 of those 6 would be gone by 2010, I don't think it'd be a major problem. I'd rather be in a position where we could trade away a ruck, rather than try and recruit one.

True, we do like trading away ruckmen.

At this stage Jamar and Meesen will struggle to get another contract after 2009 and White will retire. That leaves PJ, Natanui and Warnock.

Good call.

The other thing is, teams are dumb when it comes to ruckman, because they all need them.

We could probably steal a draft pick after 35 for bloody Jamar.

i think ur on crack yze_magic, theres no chance watts would go number 1 near draft time.

One recruiter believes that by the end of the year — "if not by the end of the carnival" — Watts will be considered the best young prospect in the country. Another, still firmly in the Naitanui camp, described Watts as this year's shooting star. Another went further still. "If the draft was on tomorrow and I had first pick, I'd be choosing him," he said. "Without hesitation. He's just a natural player, he's an athlete and he's a very strong competitor.

Guest Colossus_2000

For pace in the middle, I know we are looking to pick up Alwyn Davey.....

The only issue I can think of, Essendon won't give him up without some form of a trade. A pick, or someone off the list?

For pace in the middle, I know we are looking to pick up Alwyn Davey.....

The only issue I can think of, Essendon won't give him up without some form of a trade. A pick, or someone off the list?

haven't heard that one before?

Guest Colossus_2000

Been floating around as a rumor, I asked our midfield coach during the Walk to the G, he confirmed it was true.

Good post on the scenario.

I actually think we will have about 3 would be gone by 2010. If we are close to getting Rob Warnock, then White IMO is finished at the end of this year. With every week that goes he gets closer to the testimonial lap around the MCG. I think Jamar and Meesen will also be cut at the end of 2009.

That will leave us in 2010 with NitNat, Warnock, PJ and would Spencer be a chance for elevation if he showed something in the next 18 months?

Although plugging holes in the list is very important, surely any pick in the Top 20 must be used on the best available. How stupid would we look if we chose to overlook Natanui because we decided we were looking real solid for Ruckmenfor him to turn into the franchise superstar some believe he has the potential to be. The best available must be the draft strategy early in the draft.

Use draft picks later on when it is very hard to determine "best" to try and plug holes IMO.

Although plugging holes in the list is very important, surely any pick in the Top 20 must be used on the best available. How stupid would we look if we chose to overlook Natanui because we decided we were looking real solid for Ruckmenfor him to turn into the franchise superstar some believe he has the potential to be. The best available must be the draft strategy early in the draft.

Use draft picks later on when it is very hard to determine "best" to try and plug holes IMO.

Its been said b4 i know, but we cant pass on Natanui, almost purely on a marketing level. The amount of interest this guy would bring to the club, which should result in membership.

P.S Meesen is a spud. He wont (shouldnt) play a senoir game before hes out of contract in 09!!

What happended to 2009? I think we can only go year by year we have had the same problems for a while with pace and key position players. Who gave Jamar 2 years? the clown should be shot. Jamar must be traded for pick 100 and a set of steak knife's if need be. He can not be on the list next year we will have Naita, Warnock, White, P.J, Messon, Jamar and Spencer. That is disgraceful list management we will have more ruckman than midfielders on the list.

Trade Bell to Adelaide for about pick 30 he's just another Chisholm no awareness and produces basic turnovers that cost plenty of goals. Adelaide picked up Symes for about the same pick I don't think he is any worse than him. Tell Sylvia to shape up or ship out he is far too lazy we can't wait 4ever 4 him to turn it on.

Trade pick 17 for Prismall (hoping by the end of the year he will dropped again, surely Geelong have enough midfielders give us some please PS: Not Tenace)

We will then have 4 picks in in the top 40 (or 5 if we can't get Prismall) hopefully Naita, a running utility and 2 key forwards. Pass on our last pick to get Warnock in the PSD and promote Aussie and Valenti. Use the rookie draft to get some running utilties.

Holland, Neitz, Yze(retired) Bell and Jamar(traded) C.J, Weetra and Carroll sacked along with rookie Zomer. Bode and Meeson lucky to survive the cut (next year's list cloggers like Weetra and C.J were this year). If Whelan gets injured again this year it could be the end of him. Rivers is a big worry. White and McDonald 1 more year.

'09 TEAM

B: WHELAN, M.WARNOCK, GARLAND

HB: WHEATLEY, RIVERS, BRUCE

C: DAVEY, MCLEAN, MOLONEY

HF: BATE, MILLER, GREEN

F: NAITANUI, ROBERTSON, WONAEAMIRRI

FOLL: R.WARNOCK, PRISMALL, JONES

IC: BARTRAM, MORTON, MCDONALD, WHITE

REPLACEMENTS

B: MCNAMARA, FRAWLEY, CHENEY

HB: BUCKLEY, MARTIN, BODE

C: SYLVIA, VALENTI, DRAFT PICK

HF: MARIC, DRAFT PICK, PETTERD

F: MEESON, NEWTON, DRAFT PICK

FOLL: P.JOHNSON, DUNN, GRIMES

IC: ROOKIE, ROOKIE, ROOKIE, SPENCER

Geeze! You're a bit hard on Zomer.

Ever heard of player development given the not far off drafts with 2 new teams in the comp?

Definitely a case of not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Like it or leave it, there's no quick fix.

I don't think so. He's a long way off from playing AFL football. If we recruit 2 key forwards I don't see why we would need him. We already have Spencer as a long term prospect we don't need another I would prefer us to go for more runners.

What happended to 2009? I think we can only go year by year we have had the same problems for a while with pace and key position players. Who gave Jamar 2 years? the clown should be shot. Jamar must be traded for pick 100 and a set of steak knife's if need be. He can not be on the list next year we will have Naita, Warnock, White, P.J, Messon, Jamar and Spencer. That is disgraceful list management we will have more ruckman than midfielders on the list.

How much are we paying Jamar for two years? Hardly a dent in the salary cap. There is a shortage of good capable ruckmen in the AFL. Jamar is only proof of that fact. So is Meesen. If you want to spit the dummy, I would be asking who traded pick 37 for Meesen. I know players can surprise but hell he is coming off a low base of performance and after 4 years in Adelaide.