Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Katich in supreme form at the moment. 106*. Shared a 155 run partnership with Hussey, who just went out for 67. Again caught behind after nibbling outside off. Seems to be a bit of a problem for old Hussey. But at least he made some runs.

Leading by 213 currently. Need at least another 150 to be safe. I'm sure Ponting will want a lot more than that though.

Edit: 4/247. Katich gone for 106. Lost 2/1 in 2 overs. Need to be careful now, the lead's not enough and we've got a flaky middle order to come. Haddin and Johnson aren't in good batting form.

Edited by titan_uranus

It seems like Clarke may bat at #4 from now on:

"It's something I've been thinking about this week, to tell you the truth," Ponting said. "He's handled a lot of situations particularly well the last couple of years and in most conditions. There are a few other little things we think about as well as far as the placements in the batting order is concerned but Michael is doing everything right to get up the order, certainly one more spot, anyway."

I think it's a good move.

I also think it's over-due, and I bet our obsession with having a left-hand batsman followed by a right, and so on, has meant Hussey has batted higher than he should have.

Go The Royals in IPL. Should Win for 2nd time when Watson returns to the fold after the test. Havent seen much of Martyn

Martyn's been axed from their squad. Played 1 game. Didn't do well.

It seems like Clarke may bat at #4 from now on:

I think it's a good move.

I also think it's over-due, and I bet our obsession with having a left-hand batsman followed by a right, and so on, has meant Hussey has batted higher than he should have.

Agree.

Hussey is more suited to 5 anyway. ODIs show that.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please explain to me how Doug Bollinger has missed out on selection for the T20 World Cup? Ryan Harris, who was bordlerine useless for the Deccan Chargers this season, gets Lee's spot (a spot that Lee should never have had; time to retire Brett), whereas Bollinger starred for the ultimately successful team, and made the All-Star side.

Ridiculous decision. Shows how little our selection panel knows about T20 cricket (which, let's be honest, is not exactly important when compared to Test cricket).

Can someone please explain to me how Doug Bollinger has missed out on selection for the T20 World Cup? Ryan Harris, who was bordlerine useless for the Deccan Chargers this season, gets Lee's spot (a spot that Lee should never have had; time to retire Brett), whereas Bollinger starred for the ultimately successful team, and made the All-Star side.

Ridiculous decision. Shows how little our selection panel knows about T20 cricket (which, let's be honest, is not exactly important when compared to Test cricket).

On the face of it you are right.

However your last sentence says it all.

Would they be trying to give Bolly a break before the Paki test in England and next season's big Ashes summer? Bolly has been at it hard for some months now.

On the face of it you are right.

However your last sentence says it all.

Would they be trying to give Bolly a break before the Paki test in England and next season's big Ashes summer? Bolly has been at it hard for some months now.

Well yes, true. But Harris would then be in the same boat.

To be honest, Johnson's the least-proven performer at T20 level. I'd be inclinced to not play him in T20s and get him to focus on Test cricket.

Either way, I still think Bollinger should be in the squad.

Check this out. Surely this is a first?!?

KA Pollard st †Kieswetter b Swann 0 0 0 0

He was stumped off a wide, thus he didn't face a ball yet went out (that's possible if you're run out, but not usually otherwise).

It also means England took two wickets off one ball, as the records will show that Gayle was out to ball 3.3, and Pollard was also out to ball 3.3 (at least that's what Cricinfo's scorecard says).

• 2 weeks later...

Great innings by Hussey.

I saw Bond retired from all forms of international (?) cricket recently (following on from his Test retirement). It's a shame - I liked Bond.

I wonder how long until Lee follows him.

Great innings by Hussey.

I saw Bond retired from all forms of international (?) cricket recently (following on from his Test retirement). It's a shame - I liked Bond.

I wonder how long until Lee follows him.

Brett's body has all but given up, he is permanently sore and needs a lot of physical therapy just to stand up straight......

I love Brett and have championed him throughout his career but the end seems to be seriously nigh :( !!!

Yes, batting first helped us lots didn't it? Or more aptly, England choosing to bowl really stuffed them up, didn't it WYL and JJC?

Our top order isn't great: it's boom or bust for Watson, Warner and Haddin. Clarke is too slow as well. Too often it's the Hussey brothers and White lifting us up. And opposition batsmen know that we have weak links in the bowling, namely Watson, so they target them whilst just going for survival against Tait and Nannes. We're still a good team, but clearly we're not the best.

Clarke doesn't deserve his spot in the T20 team - I think his strike-rate is even a worry in ODIs these days.

As he admitted, the selectors will need to re-think his position in the team, and thus the captaincy.

Cam White hasn't done his chances any harm lately..!

Yes, batting first helped us lots didn't it? Or more aptly, England choosing to bowl really stuffed them up, didn't it WYL and JJC?

Our top order isn't great: it's boom or bust for Watson, Warner and Haddin. Clarke is too slow as well. Too often it's the Hussey brothers and White lifting us up. And opposition batsmen know that we have weak links in the bowling, namely Watson, so they target them whilst just going for survival against Tait and Nannes. We're still a good team, but clearly we're not the best.

Clarkes run out stuffed us. The pitch was fine.

How on earth does Michael Clarke get a gig in the Twenty/20 side for Australia, let alone the captaincy for the Twenty/20 side ?

His Twenty/20 form is horrible.

Yep. Is there any vacancy in the Cricket Australia selection panel guys ?

Show some respect to your heritage I say.

I should have used this quote elsewhere. "Ramifications for Demons" thread rings true. (re: Melb v Ess jumpers Rd 15)