Saving the MFC

Redleg

Great idea, maybe I am showing a smidge of cynicism, but in order to truly look supportive the town hall would have to be packed. I am not convinced that Melbourne supporters would fill it, I know people on this board would turn up, but we also need the casual fan to attend. There would be nothing more embarassing than having 100 people turn up in the town hall.

Having said that, big things start with little beginnings. It has my full supporta dn look forward to getting something (anything) happening for the players and staff.

Could a meeting be held 2 hours or so before a match in a room at the G?

MFC dignitaries could attend prior to their hosting duties.

Grass roots supporters can attend as part of their ritual of going to watch the game.

The Melbourne Football club is the oldest Football club of any code, that could soon be all over as talk of relocation and merging take hold just 11 years since we escaped frm the Dorks tag.

Many have said they wouldn't support the Melbourne Kangaroos, I would, because something is better than nothing. The Melbourne Kangaroos is better a better option for supporters than the Gold Coast Demons.

Preferably, I would hope that the Melbourne Demons stay the way they always have.

I'm a member, I can't make it to many games as I work 10 hour shifts both Saturday and Sunday. This year I can attend 2 games, a friday nighter against Geelong and the Queens birthday match. But I will be at both those games to support a team I know that will probably lose both matches because it's the team I love, the team of the red and the blue.

This is a plea to those who are not yet paid up members, unless you sign up RIGHT NOW an start attending EVERY SINGLE game you possibly can, the Jumper below may be something you see in a few years time. This is a team that has won 12 premierships, a team that has a rich history. If you do not sign up you will be partly responsible for it's death.

I have added my representation of the Melbourne Kangaroos Jumper ( Don't like it? BUY A MEMBERSHIP!!!!!!)

Nice try for the jumper but not as good as the one which was commissioned for the previous merger negotiations with Nth Melb. Early 1980's I think. Was going to become the Qantas Melbourne Kangaroos. Was all prepared but they got cold feet and was never put to members or either club! Was MFC jumper with big red Kangaroo as on qantas planes across the front. Was the best of the possible mergers involving MFC.

Lets not discuss moving, merging etc but rather how this club is to be saved. The AFL says we are a meaningless brand and we must address that. I will put my thoughts in point form for convenience.

1. We must build our membership. A membership of 30000 plus, is a significant one in this city and that should be the minimum aim. To get there, every and I repeat every member from last year (10000) who hasn't re-signed should be rung, visited or spoken to, to ensure they take out membership. The players and directors should be involved in this activity. All Melbourne members should be asked to find another supporter to sign on as a member.

2. All Directors should pledge to find a sponsor of at least $50000.00 or raise that amount in any way they see fit, raffle, function, begging whatever.

3. All members should make it their business to attend as many games as possible and invite other family, friends or supporters to attend with them to convert new members and to boost attendances.

4. When at games Melbourne people should use their voices to cheer the team and show disapproval at poor umpiring to give us some presence and lift the players with support like the Pies do.

5. The Board should search for a "Ron Walker type" who is a wealthy, intelligent, well connected person to lead the club.

6. Each board member should re-examine their own position and contribution and place their seat in the hands of the new President to either keep them on the Board or be replaced by a better credentialled candidate.

7. The new Board should be workers who are there for the club and have special skills that can assist the club.

8. The new CEO should be given full support and should have at least 1-2 Directors and maybe even an injured player with him every time he makes a pitch for Sponsorship.

9. The Coach should be given full support by the Board and told to do whatever is needed to get a good side as soon as possible on the ground playing good hard football.

10. The members should accept pain while the footy department rebuilds the list/team.

11. Lovers of the MFC should get behind the club now, when they are needed most and stop the crap " we are finished talk" and instead look positively to the future, when our club will be successful both on and off the ground.

The above will all help to re-establish the meaningful brand that the AFL speaks about.

Feel free to add your own suggestions.

One of priorities must be to get the basics right in regard to communications and member services - such as getting only one renewal notice and timely issue of membership packages and stickers which dont fade (fingers still crossed!!).

Another is to develop means for MFC members at all levels to become involved in the MFC. Not only high end events such as $500 per head 150th year dinner! To get more members they have to see a benefit in signing up. Is a fundamental issue.

Another is to develop means for MFC members at all levels to become involved in the MFC. Not only high end events such as $500 per head 150th year dinner! To get more members they have to see a benefit in signing up. Is a fundamental issue.

I agree entirely. One thing that comes to mind is the aftermatch function last week. I was thinking of attending - I've never been - but read on here that it wasn't run as well as it could. I also read - on these forums - that the reason given for the lack of Club players/officials attending was because there were other MFC functions going on at the same time in other parts of the ground. I found that strange.

Could a meeting be held 2 hours or so before a match in a room at the G?

MFC dignitaries could attend prior to their hosting duties.

Grass roots supporters can attend as part of their ritual of going to watch the game.

Demonland is a great forum for all of us to put forward some ideas and there have been several threads in the last year or so where we have been able to do this. Some really good ideas have been put forward.

The problem is, as far as I can see, that there is no official mechanism for members and supporters to put their views to the club - either constructive criticisms or practical suggestions.

If somebody here is able to organise a meeting, I think that one of the first items on the agenda should be to work out how we will communicate our ideas with the club and get a guarantee from the club that they will respond to EVERY idea put forward.

If this isn't done, the whole thing will be a waste of time.

Alternatively, perhaps we can have a "sticky" thread on Demonland just for putting ideas and constructive criticisms. A volunteer Demonlander could then prepare a weekly or monthly summary, send it to the club AND follow up with the club to get their responses.

Can I state the bleedin' obvious? All the off field innovation in the world is next to useless if the team doesn't perform on the field.

This is totally correct. If the team starts winning the rest will follow. Its like a film- Bad Scrip Bad Film-no matter how much advertising is done. I am all for Passion and Commitment from all of us, But winning on the field is the only solution. Keep the fire burning though.....

This is totally correct. If the team starts winning the rest will follow. Its like a film- Bad Scrip Bad Film-no matter how much advertising is done. I am all for Passion and Commitment from all of us, But winning on the field is the only solution. Keep the fire burning though.....

Of course a winning team helps, but its not everything.

If you love your club you understand that there will be bad times [won't stop us having a good vent now and then...but thats healthy too] and as long as you feel the club is putting its best foot forward you can accept it.

The job of the Marketing department is to make us love the club and to make supporters, members and sponsors feel that they are valued.

In keeping with this I believe the aim of redlegs thread is to open up ideas and the lines of communication to help the off-field administration side of the MFC.

I'm just as disappointed as anyone with our on-field showings but for the purpose of the exercise lets remember that the administration staff are not on our senior list. I'm all for having a laugh but when it comes to making genuine suggestions lets make them constructive concepts that the administration has control over.

If we pull together and keep plugging away then we just may be able to make a difference.

Short term idea for the QB march to the G

Past legends of the club travel in open top Volvo's [club sponsor] as part of our contingent in the march to the G.

When they get to the club the Volvo's alternately one red - one navy blue, are parked along reserved front row parking spaces rounding from gates 2 to 3.

These car's would have to crawl along at snails pace so beside each car there could be person with a placard, on the front would be the MFC logo plus the names of the players, and on the back "this march is slow but iPrimus broadband's a lot faster" or whatever else the sponsor would like written there.

The Age could hand out the Monday edition in the Age Bags [much as they do at other festivals] to all marchers gathering at the Feq Square BBQ. Included would be the $1.00 red plastic MFC rain poncho so that when we march there is a more powerful visual impact.

Whilst this won't fill this years coffers it would help demonstrate that the MFC gets behind its sponsors and vice-versa.