PODCAST: Rd 08 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

Love the Podcast Andy, Binman (and George of course when he is back).

Particularly liked the analysis around losing contested possession and clearances, but winning the pressure game. Being at the game it did always feel that we would eventually pull away, but the Ballard stoppage clearly stopped our momentum...

One tiny little suggestion - we are going to talk about Jacob Van Rooyen for years to come, so can we please pronounce his name the way he likes it - VAN-ROY-EN, not VAN-ROO-YEN. Hard I know because his nickname is ROO or ROOEY.

Just as Christian prefers  PE-TRAR-CA, RATHER than PE-TRACK-CA. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Love the Podcast Andy, Binman (and George of course when he is back).

Particularly liked the analysis around losing contested possession and clearances, but winning the pressure game. Being at the game it did always feel that we would eventually pull away, but the Ballard stoppage clearly stopped our momentum...

One tiny little suggestion - we are going to talk about Jacob Van Rooyen for years to come, so can we please pronounce his name the way he likes it - VAN-ROY-EN, not VAN-ROO-YEN. Hard I know because his nickname is ROO or ROOEY.

I thought I do call him Van-Roy-en, at least I used to. I can't remember what I called him last night. I'll blame Binman because he butchers even the easiest of names. Not to mention nicknames. 😜

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Totally reasonable suggestion. 

But on JVR, i know the proper pronunciation is Van- roy – en, but at the footy I yell out Vannnn RUIN !!!!! (very loudly) because I love his attack on the ball and Ruin sounds more battle like (and is easier to yell). 

And it also makes me think of a Melbourne band from back in the day that I really liked – Blue Ruin

So, sorry Jacob (which coincidentally is my son’s name – if I yelled that out it would inevitably be in my ‘you’re in trouble’ voice) if you are reading this Vannnn Ruin it is.

I don’t have any excuses for mispronouncing  Tracc’s name. Hell, I’m happy if I remember Sparrow is not a Swallow. 

Edited by binman

32 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I thought I do call him Van-Roy-en, at least I used to. I can't remember what I called him last night. I'll blame Binman because he butchers even the easiest of names. Not to mention nicknames. 😜

It was Binman. As I said, just a small thing, but important to get it right - after all Binman is of the opinion that he will be a Superstar so we will be mentioning his name for a long time....

Great podcast.

@binman On recent podcasts you have said you are keen to see Petty played back but you have also been bemoaning our ability to defend the ground ball in defence. I think you are wanting your cake and eat it too here! A part of the decision to play a smaller backline is to give us more run and better coverage for the ground ball. (It is also because Ben Brown is a witches hat on the ground balls and TMac is out of form/unfit, so Petty gives us a more competitive option as a second/third tall.)

With Hibberd, Salem and Petty not in our current back 7 against GCS, I think you need to specify who you think should come out of the backline. I assume Daniel Turner is one player who goes out, albeit I think he will be a good AFL player and really needs a block of games to get up to AFL speed. But who goes out for Salem, Hibberd or Petty? Is it Bowey, who is our best ball user but struggles at times one on one? Rivers, who is career best form? McVee, who has come on fantastically well this year? Or Brayshaw, who is playing higher but could go into the midfield?

IMO our issues with the ground ball could be exacerbated with another tall in defence. 

16 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Great podcast.

@binman On recent podcasts you have said you are keen to see Petty played back but you have also been bemoaning our ability to defend the ground ball in defence. I think you are wanting your cake and eat it too here! A part of the decision to play a smaller backline is to give us more run and better coverage for the ground ball. (It is also because Ben Brown is a witches hat on the ground balls and TMac is out of form/unfit, so Petty gives us a more competitive option as a second/third tall.)

With Hibberd, Salem and Petty not in our current back 7 against GCS, I think you need to specify who you think should come out of the backline. I assume Daniel Turner is one player who goes out, albeit I think he will be a good AFL player and really needs a block of games to get up to AFL speed. But who goes out for Salem, Hibberd or Petty? Is it Bowey, who is our best ball user but struggles at times one on one? Rivers, who is career best form? McVee, who has come on fantastically well this year? Or Brayshaw, who is playing higher but could go into the midfield?

IMO our issues with the ground ball could be exacerbated with another tall in defence. 

All good points.

For mine, it’s not really a situation of where they play Petty this week.  However, we will need our best talls to cover Marshall, Dixon and Finlayson and personally I’d like to see him go back to defence by the Port game.

That said that may not be an option now, with the result of the tribunal. 

But let’s say we win an appeal and JVR plays AND they do move Petty back this week. He replaces Turner down back.

Hibbo is good to go, so he comes back in and slots into a defensive rotation with Mcvee, Rivers, Bowey and Gus – none of whom who need to come out. Turner comes our for hibbo then

And then there is Spargo. Seemed a good game on paper in the magoos. The bye in the VFL complicates things but I think he plays against Port. And perhaps tgis week too.

if so, someone else has to come out. And unfortunately for JJ that might mean he is the sub, pushing Harmes to Casey.

But I suspect they might manage some players this week – maybe one or two of runners like Nibbler, Langdon or Hunter. Maybe give Steve may a break before wrestling Dixon the following week. One of these outs creates a spot for Spargs.

The question for me is more what the ideal back six week looks like come the back half of the season. 

And for mine that is Petty, Lever, May, Rivers, Bowey, McVee and Salem (with apologies to Hibbo). 

Where that leaves Gus I’m not sure, but he is basically a utility who can push back and do some chop out time as a mid and wing.

As for our ground ball worries, Salem will help a lot if he is in good nick. And let's hope he is - he's a top 10 player when right.

Salem also means Goody can use Mcvee in lock down defensive roles on the medium forwards we struggle with. He is a real competitor. And smart one on one too. 

Moving forward i hope they target a player to trade in for that role. Who? I've got no idea. I know he's not on the market, but Isaac Quaynor is the sort of player i am thinking of.

I'm hoping Deakyn Smith might be able to develop into that sort of player. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hawk the Demon said:

It was Binman. As I said, just a small thing, but important to get it right - after all Binman is of the opinion that he will be a Superstar so we will be mentioning his name for a long time....

No you're right. Good call. 

My wife is German and has long since given up correcting people mispronouncing her (very easy to pronounce) name. So i understand how annoying it must be.

Mine is dead easy - hard to get binman wrong. 

Correct pronunciation it is.

On the podcast that is. Not at the footy. 

36 minutes ago, binman said:

No you're right. Good call. 

My wife is German and has long since given up correcting people mispronouncing her (very easy to pronounce) name. So i understand how annoying it must be.

Mine is dead easy - hard to get binman wrong. 

Correct pronunciation it is.

On the podcast that is. Not at the footy. 

That's fine Binman - at the footy the chorus is clearly ROOOO! from us all. I hope the AFL recognise it's not a BOO.

50 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

That's fine Binman - at the footy the chorus is clearly ROOOO! from us all. I hope the AFL recognise it's not a BOO.

No rooo from all of us.

RUUUUUIN! from me.

• Clap 1