TRAINING: Wednesday 22nd February 2023

Demonland

It’s a beautiful morning at Gosch’s Paddock. 

REHAB: Jake Melksham (?), Taj Woewodin (?), Luke Dunstan (Hamstring), Fritsch(hip/back??), Salem (Thyroid), Brown (managed)

Everyone is in Blue Guernseys so I doubt there will be match SIMs. 

Probably just regular training considering preseason is officially over. 

Joel Smith looks like he is back training with the main group. 

Fritsch and Salem are not training at all. Salem for obvious reasons. Not sure about Fritsch

Split into 3 groups for wam ups. Mids, Backs and Forwards. 

No surprises except Kozzy & Smith with Forwards. Gus with defence.

Mids

Trac, Max, Langdon, Clarry, Verral, Grundy, Viney, Sparrow, Farris-White, Howes, Harmes, Jordon, Hunter

Forwards

TMac, Jefferson, Schache, Van Rooyen, Nibbler, Chandler, Spargo, Laurie, Joel Smith, Kozzy, Sestan, Brown

Defenders

May, Lever, Brayshaw, Hibberd, Bowey, Tomlinson, Rivers, Adams, Deakyn Smith, Petty, McVee, Daniel Turner, Kye Turner, Moniz-Wakefield

Fritsch now walking knee raisers with arms raised in the air with the medicos. 

Now doing walking lunges whilst twisting side to side when lunging. 

Dunstan slow/medium jogging along the boundary.

Melksham doing the same at a slightly quicker pace. 

Split into two groups. Mix of forwards, Mids and Defenders in each group. 

Ben Brown not training just having shots for goal from different angles and distances. 

Salem now jogging laps. Trac noticed and clapped saying “Go Salo”. 

Fritsch walking doing leg raisers whilst the trainer is pulling a theraband  which is around his waist. He looks to be in mild discomfort. 

One of the groups is not doing a half ground match SIM sans contact. 

Players have reversible training jumpers and that are blue on one side and white on the other for easy changing. 

Fritsch doing side crab walks while the trainer pulls on the Theraband around his waist. 

The field has been divided length ways down the middle and there are two separate match SIMs ( for want of a better description) without contact with 2 players in yellow vests playing for both teams. Goal is keepings off down the length of the field to kick a goal. 

I will note that disposal has been very sharp. Trac’s long kicking is like a laser guided missile. 

In my non-medical opinion Fritsch may have a hip (flexor) issue. Any physios can you confirm that the exercises I poorly described could confirm this?

Kye Turner is wearing number 33. New number perhaps?

I’ll echo what other have said about Chandler over the preseason he is certainly putting his hand up for a call up. 

Trainer is throwing the footy at Fritsch to catch it in one hand whilst he is standing/balancing on one leg (the right one).

Brown and Taj playing kick to kick on the boundary. 

Dunstan jogging between a set of cones set up in a zig zag pattern. 

Full length ground drill starts with a kick to a one on one contest. If the ball spills a player swoops in and 4 players run down the field almost in a line and kick to a contest at the other end and the drill begins again the other direction. 

Next drill also starts with a kick to a one on one contest deep in the forward line. When the ball spills 4 players run in from different directions (2 in white and 2 in blue). Whoever won the spill would have a quick snap for goal. 

Brown and Dunstan have hit the gym as has Taj

Boundary throw in simulation drill with small forwards like Spargo, Nibbler and Chandler also involved with the Mids and wingers. 

Verral getting a lesson in ruck craft from the Master Max.

When the ball spills the ball is swooped on and kicked into a contest (forward on forward) in the forward line. 

Defenders doing a separate drill. Rivers is in the defenders group as is Brayshaw

Salem jogging laps with Reece Conca

Forwards/Mids/Wingers doing a drill with either the wingers kicking from half forward flank or a Mid kicking from CHF into the forward line to a lead again focusing on if the ball isn’t marked then it is swooped on and snapped for goal or a better option is kicked/handballed to. There is a lot of congestion and chaos built into the drill. Often the wingers will look for a better option at CHF first before kicking into the forward line. 

@george_on_the_outer  noted that if a lead wasn't found we would be kicking higher and longer/deeper to a contest deep in the forward line than we normally do. He may be able to explain that better.

Grundy is training with the forwards on that drill whilst Max, KFW & Verral have joined the defenders drill which appear to be a drill simulating taking the ball out of defence ending with a long kick into the forward line to a contest between Kyah Farris-White and Verral (who are just being used as a tall target to kick to). Max floating around as a tall marking option as the ball comes out of defence.

Joel Smith & Jed Adams have joined the rehabbers probably as planned as there might be a contact drill coming up for the first time this session. 

Match SIM has begun with minimal contact though. Lot of loose players. Not really man on man. More of end to end circle work than a Match SIM. Only seen a few tackles. Todays session is more skill and tactical based without the emphasis on defence or pressure. I would assume that they need to learn some of the game plan without the pressure and then in other sessions bring in the pressure/tackling/defence so that they can  practice what they've learned under intense conditions. That's my uneducated guess anyway.

In case I’ve never mentioned this before Kozzy is just a magician. He scooped the ball up in a one on one ground contest, broke out of a tackle with a nice don’t argue, kicked beautifully into Chandler on a lead who was spoiled in a marking contest but got the spill and handballed to Kozzy who had continued to gut run down the field and had every right to have a shot for goal on a tight angle but he kicked it in board to a free Trac who snapped truly. 

I know that Ben Brown and TMac have been in great form and are almost undoubtedly around 1 starters but I can’t see how Van Rooyen doesn’t get a call up either. He is a natural forward with great hands and a superb ground ball game. 

Can we possibly trial 3 talls again? It didn’t work with Weid in the Mix but Van Rooyen is a different beast. 

Great conundrum to have. 

Howes is a very smart clean footballer. Was in trouble on the wing and thought his way out of the situation. Granted there is not really tackling but there was pressure in this drill and he had a player in front of him and to the side with another also coming at him from another direction and no options forward and managed to spot a player backwards and found the option. Got kudos from players and coaches around him. 

Some of the things that Clarry does just cannot be accurately described. 

Players now doing run throughs to cool down. They’ve been instructed to go slow and not reach their destination before 17 seconds.

The way Schache has been training at every session I have been to and from anecdotal evidence from other trackwatchers and from talking to some players at the player sponsor event it is hard to see him not pushing for selection. Granted he will probably have to prove himself at Casey but I think we will definitely see him at some point in the season. He was targeted when Weid left as like for like but I like what I see from the Schack more than from what I saw from Weid and I had high hopes that Weid would eventually make it. I'm more confident with Schache.

Just noticed that TMac has his left elbow strapped. Hasn’t appeared to hampered him. 

I have mentioned this before in my training observations but I really feel for Tomlinson. He trains his guts out and is always encouraging to the younger blokes and is very vocal on the track. Our defence is a hard one to crack into with the big 3 in May, Petty & Lever and I feel that both the Turners might be ahead of Thommo. I haven't seen enough of the new recruit Adams who has just started to join in to most drills but like Jefferson up forward he will do his apprenticeship this year at Casey. In any event our back stocks run deep.

That’s a wrap from me.

Oh and did I mention that we trained some very sturdy dwellings all the way down. 

3-BFF0-B0-C-4-EE4-4-A20-AE77-05-D6-F66-F

• Like 20
  • Thanks 20

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

Fritsch and Salem are not training at all. Salem for obvious reasons. Not sure about Fritsch. 

Really hoping the medicos can sort Salem's issues out.  It's easy to forgot just how good he was in the 2021 finals series.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Fritsch now walking knee raisers with arms raised in the air with the medicos. 

Now doing walking lunges whilst twisting side to side when lunging. 

He is basically our best forward, so if he has anything serious going on we are stuffed.

Fingers crossed just precaution. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

Fritsch walking doing leg raisers whilst the trainer is pulling a theraband  which is around his waist. He looks to be in mild discomfort. 

I recall a training mishap - some sort of collision - about 2 weeks ago. Fingers crossed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The field has been divided length ways down the middle and there are two separate match SIMs ( for want of a better description) without contact with 2 players in yellow vests playing for both teams. Goal is keepings off down the length of the field to kick a goal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1