Demonstone's Offseason Oddball Outrageous Offering

Demonstone

It's quiet around here.  A little too quiet.

Time for the return of the quiz.  This one is another team consisting of past (mainly) and present (two only) Melbourne players.

Your task, as always, is to find the factor that links them.

Answers in  PM please to make this diversion last a little longer.

Incorrect answers will be posted to help others.

The prizes will be of equal value to those awarded in previous quizzes.

B:  Nathan Brown   Jamie Shanahan   Alan Johnson

H/B:  Joel Smith   Scott Turner   Paul O'Brien

C:  Michael O'Sullivan   Brian Wilson   Michael Evans

H/F:  David Williams   Brad Miller   Lynden Dunn

F:  Peter Moore   Chris Dawes   Russell Robertson

R:  Jeff White   Clayton Oliver   Jordan Lewis

I/C:  Cameron Clayton   Henry Coles   James Cook   Troy Davis

• Like 1

There has been a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that this is the most Anglo/Irish team ever but we can safely rule that idea out, despite the proliferation of Irish sounding names listed.

A second poster has proposed that they all share surnames with singers but, although possibly true, alas that is not the answer to this particular quiz.

The answer also has nothing to do with the placement of vowels in their names.

The fourth answer is in but is also incorrect - they are not all brand names.

Edited by Demonstone
updated

I was thinking of Scott Turner, but I see he never actually played a senior game with us despite running out for our Under 19s and playing in an exhibition match in Toronto before ending up at Richmond.

Steve Turner would also work for this quiz, even though he'd be named out of position at CHB.

A fifth suggestion that they all retired due to injury is not the answer, either.  Two of them are still playing.

Have I finally bamboozled the best and brightest of Demonland brainboxes?

I'll leave this up overnight and check back in the morning to see if anybody has cracked it.

If still unsolved by then, another clue will be forthcoming.

Well, here we are ten hours later and no further entries have been received.

To help things along, my comment about the two Turners should steer you towards an answer relating to the surnames of the players in my team.

Other players that would qualify for this list include Oscar McDonald, Paul Payne and Noel Clarke.

Go for it Demonlanders.  The Petracca, Fritsch and Oliver Medals are still all up for grabs!

A suggestion that the players in this team share their surnames with AFLW players is sadly incorrect.

Another clue, you ask?  It would be wrong to assume that my hint about the answer relating to Melbourne meant that I was talking about the Melbourne Football Club.  That was a red (and blue) herring.

Congratulations to reynolds46 for cracking the answer and taking home the Petracca Medal for his efforts. 

I can also reveal that Lucifers Hero has bobbed up to take home the Fritsch Medal.

Edited by Demonstone
more info
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Congratulations to reynolds46 for cracking the answer and taking home the Petracca Medal for his efforts. 

I can also reveal that Lucifers Hero has bobbed up to take home the Fritsch Medal.

By the length of the straight, it seems.

• Haha 1

Congratulations to Engorged Onion for filling third place and taking home the Oliver Medal.

With all prized now allocated, I can put the rest of you out of your misery by revealing that the factor that links all players in my team is that they share a surname with jockeys who have won the Melbourne Cup.

Thank you to all who participated, especially those that supplied the Verry Elleegant answer.

• Thanks 2

@Demonstone

Welcome back, Mr D-Stone-bobulator!

Separated from the heady combination of internet access and time on my hands, as I periodically become, I missed this one. Next time!

Interesting commentary, that: the dominance (exclusivity?) of Anglo/Irish aboard Cup winners...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

REDEEMING by Meggs

It was such a balmy spring evening for this mid-week BNCA Pink Lady match at our favourite venue Ikon Park between two teams that had not won a game since round one.   After last week’s insipid bombing, the DeeArmy banner correctly deemanded that our players ‘go in hard, go in strong, go in fighting’, and girl they sure did!   The first quarter goals by Alyssa Bannan and Alyssia Pisano were simply stunning, and it was 4 goals to nil by half-time.   Kudos to Mick Stinear.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons

REDEEM by Meggs

How will Mick Stinear and his dwindling list of fit and available Demons respond to last week’s 65-point capitulation to the Bombers, the team’s biggest loss in history?   As a minimum he will expect genuine effort from all of his players when Melbourne takes on the GWS Giants at Ikon Park this Thursday.  Happily, the ground remains a favourite Melbourne venue of players and spectators alike and will provide an opportunity for the Demons to redeem themselves. Injuries to star play

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons

EASYBEATS by Meggs

A beautiful sunny Friday afternoon, with a light breeze and a strong Windy Hill crowd set the scene, inviting one team to seize the day and take the important four points on offer. For the Demons it was not a good Friday, easily beaten by an all-time largest losing margin of 65 points.   Essendon threw themselves into action today, winning most of the contests and had three early goals with Daria Bannister on fire.  In contrast the Demons were dropping marks, hesitant in close and comm

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons 9

DEFUSE THE BOMBERS by Meggs

Last Saturday’s crushing loss to Fremantle, after being three goals ahead at three quarter time, should be motivation enough to bounce back for this very winnable Round 5 clash at Windy Hill. A first-time venue for the Melbourne AFLW team, this should be a familiar suburban, windy, footy environment for the players.   Essendon were brave and competitive last week against ladder leader Adelaide at Sturt’s home ground. A familiar name, Maddison Gay, was the Bombers best player with

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons 33

BLOW THE SIREN by Meggs

Fremantle hosted the Demons on a sunny 20-degree Saturdayafternoon winning the toss and electing to defend in the first quarter against the 3-goal breeze favouring the Parry Street end. There was method here, as this would give the comeback queens, the Dockers, last use of the breeze. The Melbourne Coach had promised an improved performance, and we did start better than previous weeks, winning the ball out of the middle, using the breeze advantage and connecting to the forwards. 

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons

GETAWAY by Meggs

Calling all fit players. Expect every available Melbourne player to board the Virgin cross-continent flight to Perth for this Round 4 clash on Saturday afternoon at Fremantle Oval. It promises to be keenly contested, though Fremantle is the bookies clear favourite.  If we lose, finals could be remoter than Rottnest Island especially following on from the Dees 50-point dismantlement by North Melbourne last Sunday.  There are 8 remaining matches, over the next 7 weeks.  To Meggs’

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons

DRUBBING by Meggs

With Casey Fields basking in sunshine, an enthusiastic throng of young Demons fans formed a guard of honour for the evergreen and much admired 75-gamer Paxy Paxman. As the home team ran out to play, Paxy’s banner promised that the Demons would bounce back from last week’s loss to Brisbane and reign supreme.   Disappointingly, the Kangaroos dominated the match to win by 50 points, but our Paxy certainly did her bit.  She was clearly our best player, sweeping well in defence.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons 4

GARNER STRENGTH by Meggs

In keeping with our tough draw theme, Week 3 sees Melbourne take on flag favourites, North Melbourne, at Casey Fields this Sunday at 1:05pm.  The weather forecast looks dry, a coolish 14 degrees and will be characteristically gusty.  Remember when Casey Fields was considered our fortress?  The Demons have lost two of their past three matches at the Field of Dreams, so opposition teams commute down the Princes Highway with more optimism these days.  The Dees held the highe

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons 1

ALLY’S FIELDS by Meggs

It was a sunny morning at Casey Fields, as Demon supporters young and old formed a guard of honour for fan favourite and 50-gamer Alyssa Bannan.  Banno’s banner stated the speedster was the ‘fastest 50 games’ by an AFLW player ever.   For Dees supporters, today was not our day and unfortunately not for Banno either. A couple of opportunities emerged for our number 6 but alas there was no sizzle.   Brisbane atoned for last week’s record loss to North Melbourne, comprehensively out

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons 1
  • Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!