Keith "Bluey" Truscott at the Australian War Memorial

Bendigo Demon

I recently visited the Australian War Memorial and amongst the fantastic displays there, I was rapt to see that Keith "Bluey" Truscott was mentioned a number of times for his war service and sacrifice. The only disappointment I had was that nowhere was there a mention of the fact he played for the Melbourne Football Club, or that our biggest trophy each year is name in his honour. He was referred to as an Australian Rules Footballer, but not as what he really is, one of MFCs favourite sons.

I understand that hundreds of thousands of men and women made sacrifices during conflicts our country has been involved in, and that the memorial is there to laud these men & women, and not sporting clubs, but I would have liked to have seen a small MFC symbol, or some mention of the fact that he is held in such high esteem by our club.

The war memorial is a fantastic place to visit and honour everybody who served in our conflicts.

Am I right to be a little disappointed that our club isn't mentioned?

Given he was a dual premiership player (1939 and 1940), yes I think you are entitled to be disappointed.

Maybe doubly so since we had several others lost to the war.

Football was part of his fame and is integral to his story.

Edited by pitmaster

Middymalt, on 01 Nov 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

We would've had 18 flags beside our name if it wasn't for wars!

Bloody Germans.........It's all their fault..

• Like 1

Not sure if it is common knowledge or not, but the Airmen's club at RAAF Base Darwin is also named after the great Bluey Truscott. Was over the moon when I came across it one day. His service legacy - particularly within the RAAF - is a certainly a deep one.

Also, for those interested and don't know a lot about him. Bluey also has an Airbase/Airfield named after him. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mungalalu_Truscott_Airbase.

The current crop would do well to research those that came before them. These blokes were basically amateurs who dedicated themselves to their clubs, and in Bluey's case (along with many others) gave their lives fighting for a cause they believed in... not snorting another line!

Edited by waynewussell
  • Like 2

The current crop would do well to research those that came before them. These blokes were basically amateurs who dedicated themselves to their clubs, and in Bluey's case (along with many others) gave their lives fighting for a cause they believed in... not snorting another line!

Indeed ww - we live in a privileged world.

• Like 2

Bitter, we certainly do. And Wayne, I think the education would be a good idea. Not only the glory years, or individual greats, but more recently also what not to do. Interestingly I think there are a number of stories worth mention. Neita, Schwartz, Yze, and I was always a Cam Bruce and Brad Green fan. I have wondered though - how history would view Travis Johnstone. How would Demonlanders explain him and his contribution to the youth?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

PREGAME: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

After two disappointing back to back losses the Demons have the bye in Round 14 and then face perennial cellar dweller North Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday night in Round 15. Who comes in and who goes out?

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

PODCAST: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 11th June @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Magpies in the Round 13 on Kings Birthday. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. L

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 31

VOTES: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jack Viney make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Magpies. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Once again inaccuracy and inefficiency going inside 50 rears it's ugly head as the Demons suffered their second loss on the trot and their fourth loss in five games as they go down to the Pies by 38 points on Kings Birthday at the MCG.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 351

GAMEDAY: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

It's Game Day and the Demons are once again faced with a classic 8 point game against a traditional rival on King's Birthday at the MCG. A famous victory will see them reclaim a place in the Top 8 whereas a loss will be another blow for their finals credentials.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 941

BOILED LOLLIES by The Oracle

In the space of a month Melbourne has gone from chocolates to boiled lollies in terms of its standing as a candidate for the AFL premiership.  The club faces its moment of truth against a badly bruised up Collingwood at the MCG. A win will give it some respite but even then, it won’t be regarded particularly well being against an opponent carrying the burden of an injured playing list. A loss would be a disaster. The Demons have gone from a six/two win/loss ratio and a strong percentag

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 3

CLEAN HANDS by KC from Casey

The Casey Demons headed into town and up Sydney Road to take on the lowly Coburg Lions who have been perennial VFL easy beats and sitting on one win for the season. Last year, Casey beat them in a practice match when resting their AFL listed players. That’s how bad they were. Nobody respected them on Saturday and clearly not the Demons who came to the game with 22 players (ten MFC), but whether they came out to play is another matter because for the most part, their intensity was lacking an

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

ALAS SPRINGS by Whispering Jack

I got the word on Saturday from someone who knows someone inside the Fremantle camp that the Dockers were pumped and supremely confident about getting the W the next day against Melbourne at TIO Traeger Park in the red heart of the country. I was informed that the Dockers were extremely confident for a number of reasons. They had beaten the Demons on their home territory at the MCG at their last two meetings so they didn’t see beating them at Alice Springs as a problem. They belie

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

The Demons head back to Melbourne after an embarrassing loss to the Dockers to take on the Magpies at the MCG on Kings Birthday. With a calf injury to Lachie Hunter and Jacob van Rooyen possibly returning from injury who comes in and who goes out?  

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 502
  • Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!