E25's Phantom Draft

Axis of Bob

And re: best available making it easier...

It actually makes it harder. As I've posted many times before, it is subjective and influenced by needs.

In deciding what a club sees as best available you need to take into account the state of their list and whether the guys that suit needs are close enough to the "pure" best available.

In a draft where so many players are seen as being very close to even, it becomes that much harder.

That and the fact I find it hard to spend too much time mulling over west coast's draft picks...

In the end I couldn't care less.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quite people can be quite aggressive...they are the ones you gotta watch out for

As much as people might think I enjoy this being a me-fest, I'm really only interested in discussing a phantom draft...

as you seem to have a rare insight into footy that even HT has picked up on. I reckon he'd love to have lunch with you.......

I don't mind that Peanuts. Perhaps you can join us ? You seem to be a real "Fan"

B)

E25’s Phantom Draft 2010

BEST AVAILABLE is my mantra, but I think this term is subjective and is influenced by needs.

Gold Coast Suns throw a spanner in the works, because they can take risks with so many picks, but are also building a list so will use some picks to fill holes.

I know a lot of the descriptions are light on, but I’m not getting paid for this.

I expect to be way off the mark and some of my reasoning might seem incredibly stupid to some, but if that’s the case, let’s see yours…

Open to discussion.

1. Gold Coast – David Swallow – 186cm – 83kg – Midfielder

The best in the draft. Complete player. No weaknesses, every attribute is elite at the junior level and should translate to the next.

2. Gold Coast – Sam Day – 196cm – 90kg – KPP

If 3 different teams had the first 3 picks, we’d still be debating whether Day or Swallow should go number 1. A damaging athletic beast of a player and he could play in defence too. Will be better than Franklin.

I’m worried about whether Chip will be able to stop him.

3. Gold Coast – Harley Bennell – 185cm – 74kg – Wingman

Reminiscent of Daniel Wells, hopefully more consistent and less injury prone. A bit like Tambling also, prior to his drafting. X-factor, blistering pace and silk. Will be a joy to watch in full flight.

Doesn’t like a tag, but I think he’ll have so many gun teammates it won’t likely be a problem.

4. West Coast – Jared Polec – 189cm – 80kg – Midfielder

Probably not quite best available, but close enough to and the Eagles will have their judgement influenced by their incredible lack of speed and class in the midfield. Polec has both in spades. He’s a game breaker.

Has pace, especially off the mark, breaks the lines, uses the footy well, has a great kick on him and finds the footy. Doesn’t lack confidence either.

5. Brisbane – Andrew Gaff – 183cm – 78kg – Midfielder

This early in the draft you need to go best available. Gaff is it.

Exceptionally solid and reliable mid. Good in every aspect of the game, without being brilliant. Brisbane need a lot of things, but building a quality midfield is a must and Gaff would be a solid start.

6. Richmond – Dyson Heppell – 189cm – 80kg – Utility

Josh Drummond Mk II. Probably better. Definitely looks to be better overhead. Reminds me of Grimes a bit too.

Will free up Deledio to go back into the midfield. Heppell could also play there himself in time. Will give a lot of drive out the ‘drive zone’.

7. Gold Coast – Tom Lynch – 199cm – 91kg – KPF

Huge athletic forward. Another of those kids that is on the cusp as a midfielder, then has a massive growth spurt and is suddenly a highly sought after 199cm KPF. Great below his knees, covers a lot of ground and recovers really well.

GC Suns need to start building a forward line too. It’s their biggest weakness at this stage.

8. Essendon – Jack Darling – 191cm – 87kg – KPF

He may only be 191cm and is already filling out, but limited scope for improvement be damned – he’s already a forward line wrecking ball. I see him as being a bit like Colin Sylvia but a bit taller.

This guy would be the centrepiece of the bombers forward line and make them much more assertive.

They desperately need mids, but cannot ignore a bloke with this much talent who will influence games like he will. There should be some decent mids left at their later picks anyway.

9. Gold Coast – Daniel Gorringe – 199cm – 86kg – Ruckman / Forward

They are already sitting nicely in terms of ruck stocks, but they are all largely young and untested. Zac Smith, Tom Hickey, & Charlie Dixon look more than capable, but I don’t think they can ignore such a versatile piece in Gorringe.

Skilful, good below his knees, good engine. Athletically he is almost as good as Naitanui. At 199cm he’s a few cm shorter than you might like for a ruckman, but beyond that I don’t have much bad to say about him.

10. Gold Coast – Josh Caddy – 186cm – 81kg – Midfielder

Clean as a whistle, tough inside midfielder. Tested well at the Draft Combine for pace and athleticism, but doesn’t use it just yet because of his tendency to be on the bottom of packs. Needs to develop an outside game, but it’s not beyond him.

Might struggle to translate this to AFL level as he is bigger than other kids right now, but I think he has enough tools to develop nicely.

11. Gold Coast – Billie Smedts – 188cm – 78kg – Utility

Versatile utility who has performed well both up forward and down back. Has good size, good skills and great agility. One of those pieces that helps with versatility and will be more important with the advent of the substitute.

I considered Atley here, but I think his kicking is just a little iffy and that makes him fall to…

12. Melbourne – Shaun Atley – 189cm – 82kg – Midfielder / Flanker

Hard at it mid/ back flanker. Has great size for a mid. Tackles ferociously.

I have some slight question marks over his kicking. A bit like a bigger Bartram, but he knows how to use the footy when he has it.

As such, could easily go earlier. Not later.

If he is taken by the Gold Coast I expect either Smedts or Caddy to fall to us & we’d be just as happy with both.

13. Gold Coast – Pat McCarthy – 196cm – 84kg – KPD

Almost ruckman-height defender with neat disposal. Some say he will be a really tall back flanker, but I think he’ll be like a taller Colin Garland. Should be a real good player, but just needs time. Will be ready around the same time age catches up with Bock.

14. Adelaide – Brodie Smith – 189cm – 80kg – Midfielder / Flanker

Really like this kid and was close to choosing him for the Dees. Will play either in the midfield or on a HBF at the next level. Kicking is also an issue sometimes. Didn’t test great at the Combine (pretty badly actually, in comparison to others) but don’t let it fool you. He moves quickly around the field and his judgement is good too, which makes him seem quicker.

15. Geelong – Dion Prestia – 175cm – 82kg – Midfielder

Look, he’s small and I don’t personally think it’s a good idea to draft players with serious physical deficiencies this early… but I concede that he covers for it pretty damn well. Pacy, inside/out mid, good kick on both sides. I’d liken him to a poor man’s Daniel Kerr.

He’s a pocket rocket and height is pretty much his one glaring weakness, but the rest of his game is very strong.

I’m not sure how it will translate to the next level. Could easily slide in my opinion.

16. Port Adelaide – Cameron Guthrie – 186cm – 79kg – Midfielder

I think he’ll be a really good player and will go a bit higher than many expect. Tough mid that’s solid in pretty much all areas.

Has locked down on some highly rated players during the champs and can get the footy himself. Just seems to me that he’ll be one of those kids that really puts his head down and succeeds once he’s in the AFL environment.

17. North Melbourne – Jayden Pitt – 187kg – 70kg – Midfielder

Silky skilled midfielder whose value rose drastically in the championships. Some seem to think he will go in the top 10, but I think that’s a bit too early for him. Comparisons to Pendlebury are also a bit of a stretch at this point. Still looks a good prospect and North could really use some more skilful types.

18. Carlton – Matthew Watson – 193cm – 91kg – KPD

I think he’s a bit on the slow side, but he’s still a big lump of a lad with a booming kick and great judgement. And they said the same about Hurley.

Suits Carlton to a tee (although these picks never seem to come to fruition in the end).

19. Hawthorn – Scott Lycett – 202cm – 94kg – Ruckman / Forward

I know they have a bevy of developing ruckmen, but I think he is a bloody good prospect and will end up a bit like Jackson Trengove. A handy player to have.

The hawks could also go for Lamb or Isaac Smith at this pick.

20. Fremantle – Jed Lamb – 181cm – 78kg – HFF

Would not be surprised to see him go 10 picks earlier.

A lethal kick and I think, like Didak, he’ll eventually move into the midfield. Might take some time to come on, a la Maric (not that he quite has yet). He has more x-factor than Maric will ever have though.

21. Sydney – Ben Jacobs – 186cm – 82kg – HBF

Gets a lot of the footy and is a very nice kick.

Not convinced of his accountability at this stage, but that can be taught.

I actually see him becoming a player quite like Malceski, funnily enough.

Sydney like their HB flankers with neat disposal and they are all getting a bit long in the tooth. Almost took Cook. Hallahan would go here nicely too.

22. Bulldogs – Mitch Wallis – 185cm – 80kg – Midfielder

Father-Son pick. If he were in the draft proper he’d be going around the top 10.

23. Geelong – Lucas Cook – 194cm – 82kg – KPP

Can play both ends and is a good skilful mobile tall. Geelong could use him in the backline, but I see him as being a forward with Brown. Mooney is on his last legs too, with the J-Pod not far behind, so fits nicely.

A bloke named Tyler Chalwell has popped up as a smoky for this pick.

24. St Kilda – Isaac Smith – 189cm – 80kg – Wingman

Could go a few spots earlier, but I think the Saints would jump. This kid could end up being everything they hoped for when they traded for Andrew Lovett. Mature-age speedster in the Stephen Hill mould.

25. Brisbane – Mitch Hallahan – 182cm – 77kg – Midfielder

A mid for desperate-for-mids Brisbane. Maybe a bit workmanlike like the rest of their kids, but too good to pass up. Clean with good skills, but his pace isn’t great. At best he could be like Lenny Hayes though.

A very good get for this stage of the draft.

26. West Coast – Kieran Harper – 187cm – 80kg – HFF

Priority pick for having too few wins.

Has enough x-factor to go a lot earlier, but I think consistency and getting enough of the footy will hold him back. Only this far though.

Bigger than LeCras (I think) and not quite the same type of player, but could free him up for a midfield role.

27. North Melbourne – Luke Parker – 182cm – 80kg – Midfielder / Flanker

Using the compensation pick they received in the Hale trade.

I have him here as a slider, not because of any deficiency in him as a player, but due to the quality available. He could easily go 10 spots earlier.

He’s another good hard solid mid with a good engine & skills. I could see him going to a HFF also. Suits North’s style.

28. Brisbane – Josh Green – 179cm – 76kg – Midfielder

Was hoping he last until our 2nd pick, but I don’t think the Lions will go past him. Another on the short side but I like this kid, and they really need midfielders badly. Could take Luke Mitchell because I don’t think their tall forward stocks for life after Fev & Brown are that flash.

29. West Coast – Jamie Cripps – 182cm – 78kg – Midfielder / Flanker

Another mid/back flanker and around the best available mark. Tough, speedy, great balance and I really like his second efforts. Just keeps popping up in a contest and moving the ball forwards.

I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him go 10 picks earlier and I really like him. Unfortunately, I also don’t think he’ll last til the dees’ pick at 33, as much as I wish he would.

30. Richmond – George Horlin-Smith – 186cm – 70kg – Midfielder / Utility

Probably won’t go here, but will go to someone around this stage, maybe earlier. Someone is trying to keep him off the radar but has failed miserably. A mate who plays SANFL assures me he should go top 30.

Looks like the Hun is all over it now, so the cat is definitely out of the bag. Comparisons to Jack Trengove are a bit fanciful though.

31. Essendon – Reece Conca – 184cm – 76kg – Midfielder / Utility

He’s around the mark and the bombers need mids badly.

This is a tough one that will help them. Smart player, versatile and doesn’t really have any weaknesses.

32. Brisbane – Luke Mitchell – 197cm – 87kg – KPF

Topping up their KPF stocks with a decent looking prospect.

I think this is about the correct range for him. Good marking on a lead and could develop into a Koschitzke-type forward. Work-rate is good, not sure about when the ball hits the deck though, but that’s not exactly what you’re drafting him for.

33. Melbourne – Ben Newton – 182cm – 78kg – HBF

Not really a need, especially after getting Atley, but he’ll be a good player and gives us depth in defence now that Cheney & McNamara are gone. Solid defender and an AIS graduate, which usually bodes well.

I also considered Gordon, Johnson and Walker, but I think it may be too early for any of these kids.

Once you get to pick 11, this draft becomes really tough, as there doesn’t seem to be too much between many of the prospects from 10 to 30+. The good news is that at pick 12 we are in perfect position for a top 10 slider… except GC having 3 picks before us would be able to snatch that up. They may be the catalyst for the slider though, going for needs.

Pick 33 looks to be just on the cusp of another drop off in talent. Most teams warehousing their compensation picks helps our cause here.

Some kids I can think of that may slide into the 33:

Alex Johnson, Seb Tape, Tom Gordon, Josh Walker, Max Otten, Viv Michie, Anton Hamp, Myles Sewell, Brad Harvey, Cameron O’Shea, Pat Karnezis, Blayne Wilson, Zac Fitzgerald, Alex Fasolo, Jamie Solly, Warwick Andreoli, Darcy Barden, Aaron Young.

A random smoky called Tyler Chalwell has been raised on Big Footy as this year’s Christian Howard, going to Geelong. I have no idea who this kid is. Don’t remember him if I’ve seen him.

It’ll probably only take 10 min for someone to point out that I forgot a kid like Joel Wilkinson…

no tall in the first 2 picks, don't think that will happen

Yep. Ummed and ahhed over it.

Tom Gordon or Alex Johnson were strong chances.

I just liked Newton more.

I think we'll take talls with our 2 later picks and Josh Walker could be one of them.

Yep. Ummed and ahhed over it.

Tom Gordon or Alex Johnson were strong chances.

I just liked Newton more.

I think we'll take talls with our 2 later picks and Josh Walker could be one of them.

good effort.

Imo we'll almost certainly go a tall forward with at least 1 or the first 2 picks, based on some of the quotes coming from Barry Prendergahst.

Great effort E25.

My only query is the club stating they were looking for the best tall available,but going on your criteria,as best player available, well done!

Bugger.

The Hun has cottonned on to Horlin-Smith so I won't look clever for having him late in my Phantom.

That was my ace up my sleeve.

Gee you are sure full of it.

Gee you are sure full of it.

Why?

You think I had no idea who he was until it was in the Hun..?

Is that because you did? Fwiw I had this phantom written last night before the article even was released.

I have a mate in SA that has been telling me about this kid because he's meant to be this big secret, yet everyone knows.

Try again johnny boy.

You don't rate it?

Fine. Better it.

I'd be interested to see the views of other armchair critics like myself...

Enforcer- sincerely good effort- it is a very hard thing to do and very time consuming.Credit where it is due..but for picking draft picks- forget it it..if we got your draft pick as being correct- I think I would bar myself from the site for at least two weeks. RR or HT would not even get a look in. Good effort though. Well done.

Edited by jayceebee31

Why?

You think I had no idea who he was until it was in the Hun..?

Is that because you did? Fwiw I had this phantom written last night before the article even was released.

I have a mate in SA that has been telling me about this kid because he's meant to be this big secret, yet everyone knows.

Try again johnny boy.

No ruddy idea- I have been spruiking for many years and I had never ever had heard of him. And not many did till the article. I'd pick up at 12 --Keast if he nominated.I know him and watched him towel up Watts in a School game at CHB. I should not say towelled him up but I think he beat him on the day.

After a few hundred views I'm surprised to have not faced more criticism.

I can only assume that the prospect of critics doing their own phantom draft is too daunting.

It took me bloody ages.

Guest Thomo

I have no idea if the information is any good, as I don’t get to see much junior footy, but I'm impressed with the amount of thought and research that looks to have gone into that mock draft.

My only criticism is that there is no Cameron Cloke.

Call me picky, but I was interested to know what the difference between your phantom draft and Jay Clark's 'rubbish effort'. So I did a comparison.

E25 J Clark Difference (spots)

1 - Swallow Swallow 0

2- Day Bennell 1

3- Bennell Day 1

4- Polec Gaff 2

5- Gaff Heppell 1

6- Heppell Polec 1

7- Lynch Lynch 0

8- Darling Atley 12

9- Gorringe Gorringe 0

10- Caddy Smedts 1

11- Smedts Caddy 1

12- Atley Jacobs 4

13- McCarthy Pitt 5

14- Smith B Smith B 0

15- Prestia Smith I 9

16- Jacobs Lycett 4

17- Pitt Harper 4 (Harper selected by E25 at 26)

18- Watson McCarthy N/A

19- Lycett Lamb 3

20- Lamb Darling 1

21- Guthrie Conca N/A (Conca selected by E25 at 31)

22- Wallis Wallis 0

23- Cook Parker 2 (Parker selected by E25 at 27)

24- Smith I Prestia 9

25- Hallahan Cook N/A

As you will note from the above 'table', your top 25 is pretty much the same as Jay Clark's top 25 (albeit with the order has been changed ever so slightly). Plus, the players that you didn't include from Clark's top 25 were selected by you at 26, 27 and 31.

As a breakdown of the two drafts:

5 selections were the same (20%)

12 selections were within 1 place (48%)

18 selections were within 4 places (72%)

The three players you named that Clark did not have in his top 25 were Watson, Guthrie and Hallahan. Each of these is a pretty standard name through the BigFooty phantom drafts, so it's no surprise to see them there.

I'm not saying that any of the drafts are better than the other.

However, what is it that you think specifically differentiates your draft from Jay Clark's "rubbish effort"? Especially since every single player in his top 25 are rather by you as being in the top 31 players in the draft.

However, what is it that you think specifically differentiates your draft from Jay Clark's "rubbish effort"? Especially since every single player in his top 25 are rather by you as being in the top 31 players in the draft.

E25 was quite clear in saying that it was rubbish because there was no justification why he put players where he put them. 1 or 2 spots in a top 25 is actually quite a difference, and it has been justified by E25, instead of just naming names with no info.

Was a very good effort by E25.

Yeah, I was saying it was a rubbish effort because any idiot can find out the usual suspects and name them in a slightly different order.

The justification of why which team would take which player is what I was looking for.

I didn't get it at first (& the description as it stands is still more about the player than why the team picked them. I'm guilty of the same.)

Without the description it's just a list of players nominated for the draft.

I have no idea if the information is any good, as I don’t get to see much junior footy, but I'm impressed with the amount of thought and research that looks to have gone into that mock draft.

My only criticism is that there is no Cameron Cloke.

Shhh!

We're trying to keep him off the radar.