NFL

Dappa Dan

No way. I thought for sure everyone would have tipped those. They were the only ones this week I thought even looked like it?

Got luck though with Ravens with their last minute FG.

As you're no doubt aware by now Dappa, any point gained is hard earned! There are some weeks where you think you can't miss and then the home underdogs get up from nowhere.

Week 4 games ... again, there were 6 road winners in week 3 and the Bears might make it 7 so ... the winners are there if you can find them.

I have your doctor on speeddial.

Ha! The Jets have got Detroit at home next week as well as the Bears tomorrow ... regardless, the Packers are really struggling and we visit Soldier Field next week in an almost do or die game.

Some interesting results out of the week ... the Chargers look good and are the Steelers back?, Atlanta seem to be right back in it and maybe Detroit will challenge. Cinci keep rolling along and KC, the Ravens, Giants, Colts & Saints all had important wins. Dallas winning again keeps things interesting in the NFC East.

We saw a terrific comeback from Denver but man, it's hard to win in Seattle. Your blokes and Washington had a typical NFC East rivalry game - in hindsight, a close finish was no surprise considering the history between these 2 sides. An ultra important win for the Eagles, all the same.

Most impressive to me were Arizona ... a good win against in my eyes, a very good team - they needed to win that game if they're going to contend further. The 49ers host Philadelphia next week ...

Edited by Macca

Cowboyfromhell, what's your thoughts on this weeks game against the falcons ? I'm never too confident leaving the dome. You

Blokes have a few key injuries on top of Peterson missing.. Do you think bridgewater is up to it ? I have a bad feeling heading into this game,

This could be a test to see if the falcons really have improved

As you're no doubt aware by now Dappa, any point gained is hard earned!

Seems easy to me. ;)

The Philli/niners game should be fun, niners score first half only, eagles have mostly scored second half... Ha ha

I think the Philly bubble has to burst. They had no more OL left on the bench. Foles was getting killed, had to get rid of it immediately every play and still got smashed pretty badly. You can't go on winning against the good defenses like that.

Your blokes and Washington had a typical NFC East rivalry game - in hindsight, a close finish was no surprise considering the history between these 2 sides. An ultra important win for the Eagles, all the same.

For most they said we had to win this to be taken seriously. Which we did but only just. It was a great win, but only because of context. The nastiness of it, the fact it was at home, the amount of injuries on offense we have and still #2 in scoring and yards. The fact that Foles is worrying everyone in rounds 1 and 2, and he played one of his best games yet, under huge duress and injured. And Peters showing the Eagles phans and players what it's all about.

I think though that the Colts win was probably more telling, and if they beat the 49ers who are a serious team, then we'll have some news.

No way. I thought for sure everyone would have tipped those. They were the only ones this week I thought even looked like it?

Got luck though with Ravens with their last minute FG.

I'm tanking for next year.

• Like 2

Wow can't believe we won that. But also feel like we've used up a seasons worth of luck. Some nice penalties helped but mainly that lovely pick 6 from Geno and then a lovely fumble on the punt. 14-0 and from there we just did enough.

If we can't stop losing players to injuries we are in trouble. Lost our 2 safeties then the 3rd back up to go with a starting corner already out. Had a starting LB out with a broken hand and a starting DT with concussion. 2 starting OL injured and our important full back out for the first 2 games then injured again in the first half today. And our best special teams player out. Plus Marshall and Jeffery aren't right.

No team is ever perfectly healthy but if you lose a bunch of injuries at the same time at the same position it hurts. I'm very concerned about having both our starting safeties missing and coming up against Rodgers. Especially with our run game being non existent.

I guess unless you are the dominant team in a weak division or a good team in a super strong division for the rest of the teams it's about just hanging in there and getting in form at the right time of the year.

If we can't stop losing players to injuries we are in trouble.

Yeah it's getting like that. Last year Eagles shouldn't have won NFC East. But they did cos they had only 2 season ending injuries at the start of the year, and nothing else. The whole OL played all year.

This year, they're doing ok, but it won't last with almost its entire OL now out.

Almost makes you think they should make lists bigger. Almost. (They're already HUGE as it is)

Injuries are taking their toll on the vikes as well. Cassel is out (May be a good thing) safeties and defensive ends are hurt as well. Jerome Simpson finally got fired due to another arrest and we all know about AP. The NFC North doesn't look as strong as previous years but if Chicago can keep on rolling Cutler could prove his worth in the playoffs.

Injuries are taking their toll on the vikes as well. Cassel is out (May be a good thing) safeties and defensive ends are hurt as well. Jerome Simpson finally got fired due to another arrest and we all know about AP. The NFC North doesn't look as strong as previous years but if Chicago can keep on rolling Cutler could prove his worth in the playoffs.

I somehow know a lot of Bears fans, and they're saying this is their year... a LOT.

Cassell and Henne out would be two of the least stressed-about injuries/drops this year. lol

I somehow know a lot of Bears fans, and they're saying this is their year... a LOT.

Cassell and Henne out would be two of the least stressed-about injuries/drops this year. lol

I reckon bortles will go ok. Teddy looked pretty good against the saints. 150 yards and no turnovers is a good start. Its a shame our offensive line which once helped AP to nearly setting the rushing record is now crumbling. Matt Kalil was a top 5 pick and his rookie year was pretty good. Now he is getting flogged.

The Jets work hard but lack the poise to finish things off ... giving the Bears an early 14 point start was fatal ... always playing catch-up from there. Handing Chicago a pick 6 in the first minute was just typical Jets.

Wasn't a bad game all the same and Cutler was very good early. Don't know what to make of Geno - his receivers dropped some absolute soda's but he could have been picked off more than the 2 times that he was. He still threw for 316 yards but he's a work in progress.

Chicago too good on the night and they always looked the likely winners.

I think the Philly bubble has to burst. They had no more OL left on the bench. Foles was getting killed, had to get rid of it immediately every play and still got smashed pretty badly. You can't go on winning against the good defenses like that.

For most they said we had to win this to be taken seriously. Which we did but only just. It was a great win, but only because of context. The nastiness of it, the fact it was at home, the amount of injuries on offense we have and still #2 in scoring and yards. The fact that Foles is worrying everyone in rounds 1 and 2, and he played one of his best games yet, under huge duress and injured. And Peters showing the Eagles phans and players what it's all about.

I think though that the Colts win was probably more telling, and if they beat the 49ers who are a serious team, then we'll have some news.

Yep, we'll know more about both the 49ers and the Eagles after next week's encounter between the 2 sides. It's probably the game of the round although the Panthers/Ravens, Saints/Dallas, Packers/Bears will hold strong interest.

Luckily, we only have to wait a couple of days until the Giants/Washington game on TNF ... loser of that match is in trouble but it's another classic divisional game. Miami play Oakland in London in week 4 as well - could the NFL have picked a worse game to showcase? :)

I reckon bortles will go ok. Teddy looked pretty good against the saints. 150 yards and no turnovers is a good start. Its a shame our offensive line which once helped AP to nearly setting the rushing record is now crumbling. Matt Kalil was a top 5 pick and his rookie year was pretty good. Now he is getting flogged.

Bridgewater got some favourable reviews from the Saints game. Teddy gets to start next week and the game being at home will help him you'd reckon. One door closes and another door opens - such is the nature of sport especially in the NFL.

Edited by Macca

The Jets work hard but lack the poise to finish things off ... giving the Bears an early 14 point start was fatal ... always playing catch-up from there. Handing Chicago a pick 6 in the first minute was just typical Jets.

Wasn't a bad game all the same and Cutler was very good early. Don't know what to make of Geno - his receivers dropped some absolute soda's but he could have been picked off more than the 2 times that he was. He still threw for 316 yards but he's a work in progress.

Yep, we'll know more about both the 49ers and the Eagles after next week's encounter between the 2 sides. It's probably the game of the round although the Panthers/Ravens, Saints/Dallas, Packers/Bears will hold strong interest.

Luckily, we only have to wait a couple of days until the Giants/Washington game on TNF ... loser of that match is in trouble but it's another classic divisional game. Miami play Oakland in London in week 4 as well - could the NFL have picked a worse game to showcase? :)

Bridgewater got some favourable reviews from the Saints game. Teddy gets to start next week and the game being at home will help him you'd reckon. One door closes and another door opens - such is the nature of sport especially in the NFL.

Yeah I'm looking forward to 4 quarters of Teddy but I very much doubt he can go head to head with Matt Ryan and their offense. Teddy enjoys the warmer climate being from Louisville and we are outdoors for the next two years but hopefully the home crowd helps him out. We haven't had a QB since Culpepper then your old mate Favre.

Game of the round for me involves your boys. I'm waiting for it to click in Green Bay. Packers have caused me too many headaches over the years for me to right them off unless Favre wants to wear purple again or Rodgers feels like it.

Yeah I'm looking forward to 4 quarters of Teddy but I very much doubt he can go head to head with Matt Ryan and their offense. Teddy enjoys the warmer climate being from Louisville and we are outdoors for the next two years but hopefully the home crowd helps him out. We haven't had a QB since Culpepper then your old mate Favre.

Game of the round for me involves your boys. I'm waiting for it to click in Green Bay. Packers have caused me too many headaches over the years for me to right them off unless Favre wants to wear purple again or Rodgers feels like it.

That was a huge year for the Vikes when Favre took you to the NFC Championship game. Packers made the playoffs as well that year and lost a wild-card game to Arizona 45-51 (barnburner)

Brett was incredibly brave in that Championship game against the Saints and of course, we later found out that he was copping "late hits" for dollars (when the Saints were subsequently investigated for 'bounty gate') Fairly sure that was the story anyway.

Still, that sort of thing has been going on for years anyway and it still happens. I've heard blokes like Golic & Schlereth talk about the going's on in the past quite often. The hit on Foles in the Eagles game was brutal - and Foles is a big bloke. Tough sport.

It's not our year. Need to get a gun safety and some development time into our young DT's and LB's on defense. Bit of second year blues building in the offense. Special teams is miles off as well. Need development time there. Happy with how we are looking but we are trying to win a superbowl in the Ravens or Giants style fashion ie. never be perfect but find the dominant defensive line in the playoffs and find outstanding QB play at the right time. If by somehow the Sea Hawks aren't the number 1 seed or someone knocks them off then we have a very interesting NFC. I still think it's the better conference it's just more wide open than last year.

Yeah that NFC championship game was brutal on Favre. I couldn't believe the hits he took and he kept on coming. I really enjoyed watching him play for you and then for me. His gunslinger attitude lost and won a lot of games. I love going back to his games when the coaches are mic'd up and Favre would scramble and then just sling it deep. I heard one where he scrambles around and around for about 30 seconds and then throws a bomb but the coach keeps on saying "Brett what are you doing? Throw it out Brett oh Brett"

• Like 1

I like Geno. The pick 6 was ridiculous, I think he missed Chris Johnson by miles and threw it straight to Mundy. But considering the lack of receiving options he has I think he does ok. Absolutely no idea what kind of offense they are running either. They've got Ivory and CJ2K, let's give them a bunch of carries. Marty Mornhinweg has meant to be a west coast offense guy but I don't see a lot of quick releases. The playbook seems way too long and complicated.

Commit to the run (which is made easier by a very good defense), give Geno some quick reads and the option to then run it out of trouble if he needs and then eventually take a big shot down field and he'll probably put up better results. Give him at least one good WR or TE would be a start as well.

Just in case anyone missed an earlier post re the tipping comp, here's the points tally again ... remembering that anyone can enter the comp at any time - all you need to do is pick 3 road winners with 3 picks. I point is awarded to any participant who gets all 3 right and we also have bonus weeks (weeks 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 & 17) when extra points are on offer ...

The Leaderboard

1 - Dappa Dan

0 - The usual suspects

Week 4 games

BS Report (in this podcast, Bill Simmons & his cousin, Sal Lacono, try to guess the lines in the upcoming games ... they also do a quick recap of the previous weeks games in a style laced with a touch of humour)

It's not our year. Need to get a gun safety and some development time into our young DT's and LB's on defense.

Yeah, I think the second part of your post sort of rings true to me. Not having a gun safety never really hurt anyone that badly. Having a good one, sure, it's great. But lots of teams enjoy success with a secondary that just does its job unspectacularly. I think it's the Bears offense that really does worry opposition teams. They have a tough division, sure. Maybe the toughest. But if they CAN get through to the postseason, I think their WRs and QB scare a lot of people. Cutler's best is as good as anyone's best. There isn't any throws he can't manage. I think asking for a complete list on both sides of the ball is unreasonable in this day and age. Or in any day and age really. You can only jope your best guys get good at the business end. In the NFC I only see the Packers, Saints and Seahawks having starting talent that outstrips other teams. And really then only by a player here and there.

I wonder what result it would take for you to get a bit more positive on your (evidently my) Bears. Ticket to the NFC championship game?

I have Cutler as my fantasy QB. Paying huge dividends. Took him in the tenth round too. Boom.

Yeah, I think the second part of your post sort of rings true to me. Not having a gun safety never really hurt anyone that badly. Having a good one, sure, it's great. But lots of teams enjoy success with a secondary that just does its job unspectacularly. I think it's the Bears offense that really does worry opposition teams. They have a tough division, sure. Maybe the toughest. But if they CAN get through to the postseason, I think their WRs and QB scare a lot of people. Cutler's best is as good as anyone's best. There isn't any throws he can't manage. I think asking for a complete list on both sides of the ball is unreasonable in this day and age. Or in any day and age really. You can only jope your best guys get good at the business end. In the NFC I only see the Packers, Saints and Seahawks having starting talent that outstrips other teams. And really then only by a player here and there.

I wonder what result it would take for you to get a bit more positive on your (evidently my) Bears. Ticket to the NFC championship game?

I have Cutler as my fantasy QB. Paying huge dividends. Took him in the tenth round too. Boom.

1. Ability to run the ball

2. Consistent tackling on defense

3. Consistent pass rush

4. Special teams showing up

We don't even have a good safety. Conte is our best safety and every time he tries to tackle he injures himself or makes a fool of himself. The tackling from the LB's hasn't been much better. Until I see proof we've sorted it out I'm still worried we are only a tick away from being last years horrible defense. Our pass rush has been acceptable, lots of pressure against reasonable offensive lines. But besides Jonathan Martin getting bullied against the 49ers we haven't got home enough.

No defense never seemed to hurt GB....

But yeah, I think the tackling is the most galling part there. You just know in those first few weeks if the defense aren't at least hitting their hardest, and tackling soundly then the problem is between the ears, and it might take weeks to figure out, by which time the season's half over. The opposite of that is Dallas, who have absolutely noone on defense... But play like a team, tackle soundly and get results.

No defense never seemed to hurt GB....

No defense? That's a stretch Dappa.

Statistically, Green Bay had the 5th best defense in terms of yards allowed in our Super Bowl winning year of 2010/11 ... and, we allowed the 2nd least amount of points per game in that year (behind only Pittsburgh) That means we were in front of 30 other teams in terms of points allowed.

We held Chicago to 14 points in the NFC Championship game of that season and also held renowned offenses to losing scores. It's a fallacy for people to think we won a Super Bowl without any sort of decent defence ... it's simply not true.

2010 regular season defense stats

It's fair to say that our defense has fallen away somewhat since then, but the stats don't lie from that Super Bowl winning season. People will still say that it was all about Rodgers and that might be more true, more recently. I'd happily admit that.

Even our running game was notable in that playoff run ... Starks stepped it up from nowhere.

No defense? That's a stretch Dappa.

Statistically, Green Bay had the 5th best defense in terms of yards allowed in our Super Bowl winning year of 2010/11 ... and, we allowed the 2nd least amount of points per game in that year (behind only Pittsburgh) That means we were in front of 30 other teams in terms of points allowed.

We held Chicago to 14 points in the NFC Championship game of that season and also held renowned offenses to losing scores. It's a fallacy for people to think we won a Super Bowl without any sort of decent defence ... it's simply not true.

2010 regular season defense stats

It's fair to say that our defense has fallen away somewhat since then, but the stats don't lie from that Super Bowl winning season. People will still say that it was all about Rodgers and that might be more true, more recently. I'd happily admit that.

Even our running game was notable in that playoff run ... Starks stepped it up from nowhere.

Yep I'd say no defense since you super bowl run has definitely hurt GB! Especially against San Fran.