NFL

Dappa Dan

Does any one know of a shop that stocks playing tops here in Melbourne?

WHen I look at official stuff the sizes seem to be super long or they are actually made to fit over the pads. I'd love to try one on before buying.

Not that I know of mate. I have looked as well and can't find anything. There is www.prosportsgear.com.au but it is all online. They have a size chart. http://www.footballfanatics.com/HelpDesk/Sizing_Chart?sizeChartNavState=/brand/Nike/genderagegroup/Mens/agegroup/Adult/category/Jerseys

Just watched the preview for the packers Vikings game. No one has beaten green bay at home in December for 4 years. Last time we played Rogers threw for ridiculous yards. But when AP has 20+ carries a game vikes are undefeated this year. So I guess it's gonna take 50 carries from the great man to keep the game interesting.

Drew Brees' record of consecutive games with a TD pass is over! He was terrible yesterday v Atlanta, threw for 5 interceptions (there was a 6th but it came back via a penalty) and his only TD pass also died off due to a penalty.

Just watched the preview for the packers Vikings game. No one has beaten green bay at home in December for 4 years. Last time we played Rogers threw for ridiculous yards. But when AP has 20+ carries a game vikes are undefeated this year. So I guess it's gonna take 50 carries from the great man to keep the game interesting.

On the one hand, Green Bay was about as effective against the Giants last Sunday night as Melbourne generally is at Kardinia Park. So maybe they're in a bit of a form slump.

On the other hand, maybe that loss will spark them to get moving towards the playoffs again, especially since they've lost the number 2 seed to Chicago as it stands.

Bill Simmons weekly column can be found http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8694627/the-year-living-cautiously'>here ...

Some quotes

BEARS (-4) over Seahawks
I have some sad news: I'm breaking up with the Seahawks. After watching them blow a winnable road game in the fourth quarter for the FIFTH time, enough was enough. Next time I pick a Pete Carroll team as my Super Bowl sleeper, you have permission to hit me with a 12-inch Subway sub. Seriously. It can even be a meatball and cheese. Print out this column, show it to the police, do whatever you need to do. You're off the hook for attemped assault. I told you to do it. Don't let me pick Pete Carroll again. Save me from myself.

Vikings (+8) over PACKERS
TITANS (+6.5) over Texans
RAMS (+7.5) over 49ers
Boy, those are pretty big spreads for three division-rivalry games. I'm grabbing the points and hoping to go 2-1 at worst.
Edited by Macca

What a horrid day in KC. Very sad.

I wonder about the help that people can get in the States when faced with this sort of crises . We may never fully know the reasons why this latest tragedy occurred . It may be concussion related and it may not be .

Edited by Macca

What happend in KC is ubelievable but not at the same time which makes no sense. It seems all too common in the States and in and around the N.F.L at the moment. If it is concussion related it adds more reason why the game is being fine tuned to not have such big hits through fines and suspensions. Still some ex players complain about the old traditions being ruined. Jared Allen was fined $21K for a good hip and shoulder last week. It didn't look like much but if it has to be done so be it.

MON, DEC 3

5.00 AM New England (8-3) at Miami (5-6) OneHD

5.00 AM Seattle (6-5) at Chicago (8-3) Fox2

8.05 AM Tampa Bay (6-5) at Denver (8-3) OneHD

8.25 AM Pittsburgh (6-5) at Baltimore (9-2) Fox2

12.20 PM Philadelphia (3-8) at Dallas (5-6) OneHD & ESPN

TUE, DEC 4

12.30 PM NY Giants (7-4) at Washington (5-6) ESPN

For all other games ... Week 13

Edited by Macca

I wonder about the help that people can get in the States when faced with this sort of crises . We may never fully know the reasons why this latest tragedy occurred . It may be concussion related and it may not be .

It is a little disturbing that Jovan Belcher and Junior Seau, who took his life earlier this year, were both linebackers. As we know there are lots of tackles and hits, often with the use of a helmet. With research suggesting concussion is closely correlated to depression these athletes are certainly putting their body at risk every time they take the field.

It is a little disturbing that Jovan Belcher and Junior Seau, who took his life earlier this year, were both linebackers. As we know there are lots of tackles and hits, often with the use of a helmet. With research suggesting concussion is closely correlated to depression these athletes are certainly putting their body at risk every time they take the field.

Yes , agreed . It's hard to know what the NFL Commission could do without changing the very nature of the sport . Maybe if they outlawed 'Leading' with the helmet under any circumstances ? You're still going to get lots of incidental contact anyway .

Of course , we don't know the exact details with the latest distressing happenings but it's safe to assume that many will believe that it's related to concussion's and depression . I feel very sorry for all concerned .

Rams baby! Doing what we should have done a few weeks ago. Defence was nasty, special teams was awesome and Sam made some plays with his legs to get it to overtime. Suck it Whiners :)

Pfft! We missed a shorter field goal in OT that wouldve made it a completely different story. Still puzzled how we can twice not be able to defeat a team the calibre of the Rams. Enjoy watching the playoffs from the sidelines...

That's a huge win by the Steelers . Gets them right back into contention with Big Ben to return (when is he back?) .

Seattle winning helps my blokes big time . The Seahawks still have 3 games at home to come including a big clash against the 49ers in a few weeks .

The Colts are now 8-4 and playoff bound you'd reckon . Who would have predicted that at the start of the season ? Luck has really proved his worth and it's looking like a win/win with the Broncos going to 9-3 after today's victory .

The Bengals picked up a must win in San Diego and that week 16 clash at Pittsburgh may well decide a wild-card spot .

Edit : Just watched the press conference's of the Head Coach and QB of the Chiefs (Romeo Crennel and Brady Quinn) . Both spoke exceptionally well, given the circumstances .

Edited by Macca

That's a huge win by the Steelers . Gets them right back into contention with Big Ben to return (when is he back?) .

Seattle winning helps my blokes big time . The Seahawks still have 3 games at home to come including a big clash against the 49ers in a few weeks .

The Colts are now 8-4 and playoff bound you'd reckon . Who would have predicted that at the start of the season ? Luck has really proved his worth and it's looking like a win/win with the Broncos going to 9-3 after today's victory .

The Bengals picked up a must win in San Diego and that week 16 clash at Pittsburgh may well decide a wild-card spot .

Edit : Just watched the press conference's of the Head Coach and QB of the Chiefs (Romeo Crennel and Brady Quinn) . Both spoke exceptionally well, given the circumstances .

I wouldn't have picked the colts to be playoff bound but good on 'em. I like seeing young QB's make an impact. Speaking of QB's and impact or lack therof how's about Sanchez? 10-21 91 yards and 3 picks. This bloke is a good QB and he is on a fat contract. He gets benched and the Jets win a stinker. I thought the MFC's year on the field was crap but the Jets and Eagles are coming up fast.

Mmmmm... I love you Adrian Peterson. What a gun. 210 yards! There was some dodgy tackling attempts from Green Bay but still he is a bloody legend. He gets us into the red zone and then Ponder throws picks. He is frustrating and It must frustrate AP and the rest of the team. That was a winnable game. But this is his first full season as a starter so I'll cut him some slack for now. No shame in losing at Green Bay.

I wouldn't have picked the colts to be playoff bound but good on 'em. I like seeing young QB's make an impact. Speaking of QB's and impact or lack therof how's about Sanchez? 10-21 91 yards and 3 picks. This bloke is a good QB and he is on a fat contract. He gets benched and the Jets win a stinker. I thought the MFC's year on the field was crap but the Jets and Eagles are coming up fast.

Mmmmm... I love you Adrian Peterson. What a gun. 210 yards! There was some dodgy tackling attempts from Green Bay but still he is a bloody legend. He gets us into the red zone and then Ponder throws picks. He is frustrating and It must frustrate AP and the rest of the team. That was a winnable game. But this is his first full season as a starter so I'll cut him some slack for now. No shame in losing at Green Bay.

Have only seen edited highlights of our game so far . Relieved to get the win really . AP is one hell of a running back . The Vikes are gonna have to finish the season well to make the playoffs but ya never know in this sport . Every game played by the contenders is like a mini final from here on in . Some teams will 'Win out' whilst others will stumble .

The Giants last year and the Pack the year before had to win their last couple just to get in the playoffs . I wouldn't be conceding until it's mathematically impossible (it's weird how it works , I wanted Seattle to win today and now I want them to lose all their games except when they play the Niners - go figure !) . Houston and Atlanta may be able to 'Rest' their starters soon as well . As you're no doubt aware , Minnesota play the Texans in week 16 . Here's how the contenders sit after today's games ... Playoff standings

I had a look at Purplepride.Org. It's the Vikings version of demonland and I mean nearly exact version. There may be more Vikings fans on here. There are Sack the QB threads, Sack the Coach threads, Sack the GM,Coach and QB and the general I can't take this anymore threads. One that I did get a chuckle from was the post that asked why didn't we draft Kaepernick instead of Ponder? I guess Kaepernick is the Jack Darling of the N.F.L.

• Like 2

I had a look at Purplepride.Org. It's the Vikings version of demonland and I mean nearly exact version. There may be more Vikings fans on here. There are Sack the QB threads, Sack the Coach threads, Sack the GM,Coach and QB and the general I can't take this anymore threads. One that I did get a chuckle from was the post that asked why didn't we draft Kaepernick instead of Ponder? I guess Kaepernick is the Jack Darling of the N.F.L.

Ha ha ! I had a look at 'Packer Chatters' a ways back . It's really funny/strange - the same sort of threads such as 'The Good the Bad and the Ugly' , 'End of Season Changes' and the always ever present 'OK, so now what?' are there .

I even had a fleeting thought of joining up . May do one day . It's uncanny how similar the threads are though . Reckon some of the under performing teams fan sites would be 'Interesting' reading . San Diego and Philadelphia for instance . Dallas would be another .

Edit : Here come the Redskins ... good tough win at home and that division is right up for grabs now . RG3 is managing games very very well considering he's a rookie . On top of that, Washington lead the League in rushing yards with RB, Alfred Morris having a great rookie season as well .

So many teams in the mix in the NFC . This next month is usually a great one for big clashes . A sneak peak to next week's games sees Dallas @ Cinci, the Bears @ Minnesota, the Ravens @ Washington and Houston @ New England . Here is the schedule for week 14

Edited by Macca

Rams baby! Doing what we should have done a few weeks ago. Defence was nasty, special teams was awesome and Sam made some plays with his legs to get it to overtime. Suck it Whiners :)

HELL YEAH!!!!! love beating the frannies, wonder who starts QB next week for then, good ol Col or Smith?

Given played another good game, nearly 100yards recieving

Pfft! We missed a shorter field goal in OT that wouldve made it a completely different story. Still puzzled how we can twice not be able to defeat a team the calibre of the Rams. Enjoy watching the playoffs from the sidelines...

But you did miss, like the earlier draw, we must make your kicker nervous :P

We will, and next year we will wave at you from above........(this may or may not happen.......actually more than likely wont.................Go Rams! :P )

Ahh a true 49er Whiner :). Anything over 50 yards is no 'gimme', after starting at midfield due to a 14 yard shanked punt your offence failed to get within adequate field goal range. No shame in losing to the Jeff Fisher led Rams my friend, when we play tough defence and the offence doesn't turn over the football it's hard to score against us at home. We're a young team not ready for the playoffs, hopefully next year we can add some talent to the O/Line and get a safety or two then we could give the playoffs a shake.

HELL YEAH!!!!! love beating the frannies, wonder who starts QB next week for then, good ol Col or Smith?

Given played another good game, nearly 100yards recieving

Yeah Givens is developing nicely, no longer just a deep threat Sam's trusting him on the intermediate routes and he took a great catch on 3rd & 3 to put the Rams in range for the game-winning field goal.

Nothing like some good old fashioned divisional rivalry hey ! ^_^ All good . I can only imagine what's it's like in the States . A few of you have experienced it first hand yeah ? I've read a bit about the rivalry's but the Ravens/Steelers has to be the 'Biggie' at the moment . Packers/Bears is fierce as well .

Anyway, if the Rams 'Win out' they might sneak in - ya just never know . It's not very likely but it is possible . A whole lot of other things would have to happen but I've seen loads of strange occurrences in this League over the journey . It is a huge ask (given their remaining schedule) but if the Rams can get past the Bills this week and the 'Unthinkable' happens and Arizona beat Seattle then that 6th seed is up for grabs . Arizona might need to find an 'Offence' in a hurry though !

The Packers and the Bears need to keep winning to ensure qualification and San Francisco have also got a couple of tough games to come . This QB 'switcheroo' might have it's drawbacks !

It's nowhere near done yet . The only real safe bet is Atlanta getting the no.1 seed - they're 2 and a half wins clear in the conference with 4 games to play . I can't see them slipping up . The AFC is a lot clearer, of course . Once again , here is the playoff picture .

Edit : I discovered the 'Playoff Machine' on the ESPN website . It's like the AFL ladder predictor . Each time I've gone through the remaining games the Bears have ended up missing the playoffs altogether .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Good set of match-ups for week 14 on the box . Not too many teams represented from this thread but some good games nonetheless ...

FRI, DEC 07

12.20 PM Denver(9-3) at Oakland (3-9) OneHD & ESPN

MON, DEC 10

5.00 AM Baltimore (9-3) at Washington (6-6) OneHD

5.00 AM Dallas (6-6) at Cincinnati (7-5) Fox3

8.25 AM New Orleans (5-7) at NY Giants (7-5) OneHD

8.25 AM Arizona (4-8) at Seattle (7-5) Fox3

12.20 PM Detroit (4-8) at Green Bay (8-4) OneHD & ESPN

TUE, DEC 11

12.30 PM Houston (11-1) at New England (9-3) ESPN

For all other games you can visit this link

Edited by Macca