Pick 5 - Sydney what would it take to get this

Guest hangon007

Guest hangon007
Excuse me, why on earth would we want to trade for pick 6 anyway?

I don't see any reason to, beyond the frenzied desire to collect draft picks of people who have little understanding of list development and the AFL system.

I'd liken it to the bloke who had 16 kids just cos the bloke next door had 15.

Nope thats not what its about.

"I'd liken it to the bloke who had 16 kids just cos the bloke next door had 15."

In reality I'm actually advocating or suggesting our optimum strategy is the complete opposite. ie fewer drafts picks used but aiming to get the best educated kids possible.

The reason we chase another "early draft pick" in this draft ... and I double stress the term THIS draft ... is all drafts are not equal.

So hence I'm not calling for more picks just better picks. Look round the board, its becoming apparent we have divided opinions ...

a/ We picks for needs ie Tall forward or Ruckman

b/ We pick best available

Now I'm suggesting maybe and just maybe if things go our way we can get the best of both worlds

Priority Pick - Scully (Lock in)

now this is where it gets interesting. assuming we can extract the "5th live pick" ... again assuming Scully is lock in with PP pick

Pick 1 - Trengove

Pick 5 - Outside chance Butcher slides or we get another "quality tall" personally I like the look of Rohan

Now lets look at the alternatives ..

Pick 2 Richmond ... can't see them trading it under any circumstances. You never know with certainty what they will do, but lets not forget who is calling the shots.

Pick 3 Fremantle ... have a feeling they will target WA kids ie Morabito

Pick 4 North ... can't see them trading it under any circumstances

Just my thoughts ... but sorry I'm not trying to get more kids just better quality kids.

Edited by hangon007

We can't have to many young players in the team, or can we?

Let's not forget we have Blease and Strauss who are yet to play a game. Scully, Pick 2, 18, 34, PSD 1 and maybe 50?

I don't think we need pick 5 because we would have to give up an good established player for it.

First things 1st..Sydney is not about to give up pick 5. They need it.....far more than we do.

Secondly...this is not some sort of collection game. The guy with the most picks doenst win any prize. Drafts and their picks are in the end all about potential. Thats fine and good but you actually play football with skills and effort. Point being at some point your focus must switch from assembling a list to actually utilising/developing it. Somewhere along the road you must actually start concentrating on playing good footy and winning gamesand doing so primarily with those you have accumulated onto your list. Its not about continually ammassing the most highly rated prospectives, thats just a precursor. The real game is to play footbal.

With picks 1 and 2 together with 18 and whomever we may get with the PSd we wil actuallyhave a very good list. We can aford to look to trade players/picks for an already blooded up and comer in the 22-24 yo range as opposed to more and more end-picks

Excuse me, why on earth would we want to trade for pick 6 anyway?

I don't see any reason to, beyond the frenzied desire to collect draft picks of people who have little understanding of list development and the AFL system.

I'd liken it to the bloke who had 16 kids just cos the bloke next door had 15.

First things 1st..Sydney is not about to give up pick 5. They need it.....far more than we do.

Secondly...this is not some sort of collection game. The guy with the most picks doenst win any prize. Drafts and their picks are in the end all about potential. Thats fine and good but you actually play football with skills and effort. Point being at some point your focus must switch from assembling a list to actually utilising/developing it. Somewhere along the road you must actually start concentrating on playing good footy and winning gamesand doing so primarily with those you have accumulated onto your list. Its not about continually ammassing the most highly rated prospectives, thats just a precursor. The real game is to play footbal.

With picks 1 and 2 together with 18 and whomever we may get with the PSd we wil actuallyhave a very good list. We can aford to look to trade players/picks for an already blooded up and comer in the 22-24 yo range as opposed to more and more end-picks

Yep...you've both put it well.

Why would we want to get rid of established players, McLean or Jones, just to get a pick in the draft that may turn out to be a dud? I would have thought that our footy team is about more than collecting draft picks....it's about developing every player on our list, and developing a strong team, not just throwing away good club players for potential picks. We need an even team across all age groups when we are challenging. We don't want to keep taking two steps forward, three steps back every season.

Belzebub59 is right when he says Sydney won't give it up....they need it, and no other club in their right mind would hand us another first round draft pick. They'd be sealing their own doom!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Yep...you've both put it well.

Why would we want to get rid of established players, McLean or Jones, just to get a pick in the draft that may turn out to be a dud? I would have thought that our footy team is about more than collecting draft picks....it's about developing every player on our list, and developing a strong team, not just throwing away good club players for potential picks. We need an even team across all age groups when we are challenging. We don't want to keep taking two steps forward, three steps back every season.

Belzebub59 is right when he says Sydney won't give it up....they need it, and no other club in their right mind would hand us another first round draft pick. They'd be sealing their own doom!!! :D

because Jones Moloney and Mclean are all too similar, if we do use picks 1 @ 2 on mids plus Blease and Stauss, we should trade one now or we will have our own Luke Ball situation

because Jones Moloney and Mclean are all too similar, if we do use picks 1 @ 2 on mids plus Blease and Stauss, we should trade one now or we will have our own Luke Ball situation

I think that is actually a good situation to have. Fantastic even.

I think that is actually a good situation to have. Fantastic even.

yes and no, yes because we have depth, but no because if in 12 months time the player wants a trade it may not be feasable then unless they like the sun

• 2 weeks later...

yes and no, yes because we have depth, but no because if in 12 months time the player wants a trade it may not be feasable then unless they like the sun

Good thing we pulled the trigger now and got a decent result.

Guest hangon007

I just have a feeling that Sydneys pick especially now Hall is gone ... could turn a day thats looking to be something special ... to something oh such more.

I was hoping Pick 18 and something might get the job done ...

Hence we would have 1,2,6,11 ... plus maybe say a late pick 30-50 for a slider

This is not a phantom draft just a possible scenario

1/ Scully

2/ Trengove

3/ Martin - "little birdy" says its not off the cards

4/ Morabito

5/ Butcher - possible a mid- sorry I dont know any "little birdies" at North

6/ Us .... (as I said before my personal preference was Rohan but I would want to wait till after draft camp)

11/ Best Avaliable KPF

Edited by hangon007

I just have a feeling that Sydneys pick especially now Hall is gone ... could turn a day thats looking to be something special ... to something oh such more.

I'm not sure what Hall has to do with it other than there is a hole up here that needs to be filled......

Sydney will not be giving up this pick, they need it, and while it would be nice for us to have, they absolutely need it and will definitely use it.

Or we could possibly auction off half our young up and comers to get said pick?

So maybe some reality wouldn't kill us :rolleyes: !!!

If we had any older players with currency left, I'd toss them all at Sydney for 6 and see what they nibbled at. However, we don't, and to extract 6 we'd have to be offering up one of our better younger players. What would be the point in that? I fail to see what value is added by trading say, Grimes or Morton for a draft pick. It makes no sense at all and only pushes our flag window further away.

Swannies have more holes than a block of swiss cheese. They have had some big departures, and unless they can get some young gun talent through that door quickly they are destined to spend a "demonesque" spell at the bottom of the AFL ladder soon.

A player and pick 11 for pick 5 is possible, but 6 picks difference you are really starting to split hairs there.