Movies/DVD's

Cards13

Oh man, all you're doing is adding to the already stupidly long list of stuff I wanna watch.

So much cool stuff I had forgotten about or didn't know about. I've heard Brazil is brilliant but never seen it.

Well, let me know what you are "into" and I will be more than happy to add to your woes by giving you a list of what I think are worth watching.

• Like 1

I'm into a lot of things...

My list is overflowing atm, I recently added another 3 TB drive to my media server. I'll never get to it all.

I have a problem...

You support the MFC?

Ok,

I have a few problems...

Don't worry, you're not alone on that score... I am closing in on 6 decades of supporting the MFC and have a collection of well over 1,000 DVDs and Blu Rays.

Don't worry, you're not alone on that score... I am closing in on 6 decades of supporting the MFC and have a collection of well over 1,000 DVDs and Blu Rays.

My DVD & Blu Ray collection would be about that size as well.

But only been a MFC for over 1 decade now as I had time off for good behaviour.

Exactly! Nothing wrong with the occasional spectacle.

I really like Michael Fassbender. I'm looking forward to the new X-Men Days of Future Past movie. He was really great in First Class with James MacEvoy.

You're right in that Dark City beat The Matrix to the punch on presenting some philosophical issues like reality and simulacrum. But I felt the end really let it down, and it didn't quite reach the creepy level of tension I thought it was shooting for. It might be because of its age, and had I watched it when it was first released maybe I would feel differently. I also think The Matix's religious connotations gave it an edge Dark City didn't have, however as you say, Dark City came first.

Also I thought The Matrix sequels sucked. They played up the religious angel in the third one especially, with a lot of Fisher King references and I thought it was really disappointing given what was achieved in the first movie.

I heard that Stargate is being rebooted into a new movie trilogy, any thoughts on that one?

My love for cinema began with James Bond as a young fella, so I certainly love a spectacle film. Obviously, Nolan's Batman trilogy fits that nicely too.

Haven't seen any of the X-Men films. Heard he was great in that though.

Never ended up seeing the second or third Matrix films.

I didn't mind the tv-series. Prefer MacGyver though. :P The film was scored by James Bond composer David Arnold, so that gives it an edge too. I'll give the trilogy a go, I'm sure.

Ok Choke, being true to my word, here is a list of fairly obscure things (well, obviously not obscure to everyone) that I would recommend - I won't go into descriptions, analysis etc - you can find all of that on IMDB no doubt... so choke on this ;-)

Music related documentaries plus a couple of others:

The Filth and the Fury (Sex Pistols doco)

The Future is Unwritten (Joe Strummer of the Clash doco)

Searching for the wrong Eyed Jesus

Deep Blues - a musical pilgrimage to the crossroads

The Ballad of Ramblin' Jack

Ghengis Blues

Crumb

Lost in La Mancha

Movies:

The Harder They Come

Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Wise Blood

Happiness of the Katakuris

Survive Style 5+

Shark Skin Man, Peach Hip Girl

Branded to Kill

Tokyo Drifter

Shock Corridor

If, O Lucky Man and Britannia Hospital (trilogy)

Juliet of the Spirits

High and Low

Throne of Blood

Raise the Red Lantern

Not One Less

The Road Home

just a few to get on with... can add more if you like... many more.

• Like 1

Watched Place Beyond the Pines with Gosling, Mendez and Brad Cooper (Ray Liotta has a small part too) last night. Was pretty impressive and a bit different in the way it shifted the story focus from character to character. There were a couple of annoying things about it (I won't mention them incase they spoil the story for someone) but I'd recommend it.

• Like 1

Just at JB Hifi and got the following:

American Gothic CS

South Park 16S

Supernatural 8S

Spartacus War of the Damned (I wonder if he will keep beating the Romans LOL)

Blackadder CS

lol, Blackadder never gets old. I love that show.

Agree... the funny thing was that for the entire first series, Baldrick was the "brains" and Blackadder the dolt. Oh, and I still have nightmares whenever I think about the "Blackadder's Christmas Carol" special, with Baldrick in a leather "posing pouch"...uuurrrrgggghhhh!!

And speaking of British comedy on TV, I have to say I love the League of Gentlemen series... have all of them on DVD as well as their Apocalypse movie which is also a hoot (if you haven't seen this show, chase it up as it's definitely worth a look).... another series worth checking out is Psychoville; the Brits really do have a way with humour that, for the most part, the Americans simply can't do... then again, they are also responsible for some of the worst TV comedies as well.

Edited by hardtack

Yeah but Blackadder > Mr Bean.

Also some American comedies are ok. I like 30 Rock :)

Yes, agree that Blackadder is a cut above Mr Bean. American comedies can be very good, but lack the British eccentricities that you find in shows like Fawlty Towers, Not Only But Also, Monty Python, Blackadder etc. Having said that, I was a real sucker for Seinfeld and before that, a long time before that, The Bob Newhart Show (both the one where we was a psychiatrist and the one where he was a hotel owner, that owed a lot to Fawlty Towers).

Bit different to Black Adder and Mr Bean but very funny. Also love the original office and the inbetweeners.

Old Dr Who and the Goodies