DEMON SUMMIT 2008

H_T

I actually suggested the story to Amelia, who is a friend of mine now working at the Hun, so she spoke to me about it.

Good suggestion. Next thing you'll be mixing it with Robbo & Sheahan.

I'd imagine, now that Amelia has covered this story in the HUN, will she be following up with the SUMMIT on Sunday at the 'G' for another article on Monday, Mick?

More positive publicity for the club will certainly help the club IMO. Re; Memberships, Sponsorship.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good suggestion. Next thing you'll be mixing it with Robbo & Sheahan.

I'd imagine, now that Amelia has covered this story in the HUN, will she be following up with the SUMMIT on Sunday at the 'G' for another article on Monday, Mick?

More positive publicity for the club will certainly help the club IMO. Re; Memberships, Sponsorship.

I'll try to make sure she does something! Me, with my editorial power at the Hun... ha!

Looks like the clique were a 'done deal'.

Funny thing about this forum is that all of the key posters are MCC members. And an arrogant, know-all bunch, a lot of them are.

I must admit that given the traffic here that tries to find ways of improving membership levels of the MFC, and statements from clowns like Nugget Jones about 'weak country members' (ref post #7, 'we deserved more sunday games'), I'm becoming less amazed at MFC's poor membership/attendance/gate.

The club will probably find that to get the levels of support collingwood, essendon, richmond etc get, you need to appeal to the majority middle class football nuts. I can't believe I am saying that in this country. You are not going to get the levels of support those 3 clubs have pandering to the minority rich. Sponsors know that. The MFC needs to undertand that this part of their history needs some level of rethink, and do something to foster the inclusion of Melbourne Demon barrackers and supporters in the wider demographic, rather than the silvertail, range rover set.

I have been a member of Demonland for only 3 months or so, but it has crystallised to me, to a certain extent, why MFC is where it is.

See, I did not know in 1959 when I was old enough to barrack for MFC that I'm not really the demographic that MFC wants. Neither did my wife later on. And given we grew up and live in Wangaratta, which makes it diffucult to attend games, we have still made the effort to travel and spend and be there.

We now have adult chidren who are also keen supporters.

You city folk, and particularly you MCC know-alls, decide what you really want. Maintain your clique, or maintain your club!

I agree. will be a first time member next year but reading a lot of this makes me think the only way to enjoy the club is to join the 100 yr waiting list of the MCC. with everyone saying keep the run out near the MCC so they can watch sorry a lot more supports want to see it as well. I know Jimmy wants the heratage but I went to every Game last year bar 1, at the same time I read on here that people couldnt go because of comitments to sport or this or that or it was to wet. MFC Needs to make it the peoples club dont have to make it a slogan just dont aim it at MCC Members.

What is sad is I remember sitting at the Melb Roo's game last year and saw 4 drunk guys making more noise more often than the so called cheer squad. I went down and saw them and asked if they were supporters they said they supported the roos but felt bad as they loved some of the players in melb and couldnt believe the Melbourne cheer squad was so quite. Also 2 of them are now mates of mine we went down to the dees games for the rest of the year they are converting next yr.

makes no sence but i am so against being called a rich toft or people telling me to go back to the snow cause I follow Melbourne. Im a NSW man I follow a great NRL team and I now believe I Follow the BEST AFL TEAM and NO Im not going to the snow when times get tough I will go out and talk to friends convert them and make them buy memeberships.

Dees, I am trying to understand what you're saying (and I think I'm getting there...)

But I don't see how you're helping the debate? If you feel like you have ideas for the club to use, then put them forward.

How can ideas we have pertaining to the MCC be in neglect of all others?

FWIW, probably many of my ideas will be related to the MCC as that is how I attend the footy, if others don't attend the footy through the MCC I'd assume they would have other ideas on how to help our club, and if they didn't have MCC-related ideas, I wouldn't degrade them for any reason, so I don't really see why would do it.

Are you saying that the club only invited MCC members to the Summit?

Why do you think the club is moving to Casey, and so many on here have been positive about that, if it's not about spreading the "demographic" and attempting to shake off the stigma of the "range-rover driving silvertail."

I'm 21, born and raised in West Footscray, MCC because of a father I didn't often see. I don't see how that has any relevance to how i can help the club moving forward. Are you painting yourself too much into the corner?

I just Posted agreeing with Deez Dayz This is good to say and I dont know all that much about the clubs heratage but we need to move away from the MCC not keep near it. I know that hurts the pockets but the stigma is coneccted to the MCC members even though lots dont support Melbourne any more. We move away from MCC head to casey for new ties with a town that is growing and could get the supporters we need but have to much off a conection to MCC and it will jepodise Supports buying memebership. And Every supporter I have ever spoken wishes the players run isnt near the MCC as we can go there and be close to the boys But MCC mebers can com into General Admin it doesnt seem fair.

I agree that the MFC cheersquad is something that NEEDS to be worked on.

At the moment, we have 2 tiny cheersquads because of some ridiculous rift. We need these groups to come together for the good of the club.

Also - I heard a great idea on SEN this morning when someone rang up and suggested the idea of a cheersquad inside the MCC, which will hopefully add to the atmosphere and make kids want to attend.

The MFC needs to learn how to appease both its regular members and general supporters, as well as its MCC members.

At the moment, we have 2 tiny cheersquads because of some ridiculous rift. We need these groups to come together for the good of the club.

Also - I heard a great idea on SEN this morning when someone rang up and suggested the idea of a cheersquad inside the MCC, which will hopefully add to the atmosphere and make kids want to attend.

The MFC needs to learn how to appease both its regular members and general supporters, as well as its MCC members.

I heard that Guy this Morning aswell on SEN. Brilliant idea!! A Cheer SQuad in the MCC Reserve. It will work. For someone who has sat in the reserve all my life, there is a lot of passion in there even though those in the Outer may disagree. We must all join together in all parts of the Ground for the MFC

Cheer Squad for the MCC-Just Do it Jimmy...

I heard that Guy this Morning aswell on SEN. Brilliant idea!! A Cheer SQuad in the MCC Reserve. It will work. For someone who has sat in the reserve all my life, there is a lot of passion in there even though those in the Outer may disagree. We must all join together in all parts of the Ground for the MFC

Cheer Squad for the MCC-Just Do it Jimmy...

Yep... then we can have 3 cheer squads! :wacko:

Looks like the clique were a 'done deal'.

Funny thing about this forum is that all of the key posters are MCC members. And an arrogant, know-all bunch, a lot of them are.

I must admit that given the traffic here that tries to find ways of improving membership levels of the MFC, and statements from clowns like Nugget Jones about 'weak country members' (ref post #7, 'we deserved more sunday games'), I'm becoming less amazed at MFC's poor membership/attendance/gate.

The club will probably find that to get the levels of support collingwood, essendon, richmond etc get, you need to appeal to the majority middle class football nuts. I can't believe I am saying that in this country. You are not going to get the levels of support those 3 clubs have pandering to the minority rich. Sponsors know that. The MFC needs to undertand that this part of their history needs some level of rethink, and do something to foster the inclusion of Melbourne Demon barrackers and supporters in the wider demographic, rather than the silvertail, range rover set.

I have been a member of Demonland for only 3 months or so, but it has crystallised to me, to a certain extent, why MFC is where it is.

See, I did not know in 1959 when I was old enough to barrack for MFC that I'm not really the demographic that MFC wants. Neither did my wife later on. And given we grew up and live in Wangaratta, which makes it diffucult to attend games, we have still made the effort to travel and spend and be there.

We now have adult chidren who are also keen supporters.

You city folk, and particularly you MCC know-alls, decide what you really want. Maintain your clique, or maintain your club!

I yell my guts out for the MFC on Level 2 of the MCC Reserve. Not everybody is a "Silver Tail ?Toff who is a member at the 'G. I want to see MFC supporters all around the Ground all yelling together.

we are still better off having one really big cheer squad than three little ones

look at melbourne victory...their cheer squad works to great effect

likewise, there is nothing to stop melbourne being the same

however, i dont mind the idea of a different sort of one being in the members at all

I think any link with the MCC will stay with us as long as we exist. We did build the bloody thing.

Some of us just have to grow thick skin, and move on. If we move to Casey, and do it well, our supporter base will grow naturally and hopefully strongly. I see no reason why we should alienate one supporter base in favour of a potential supporter base.

Opposition fans will always give us a ribbing for being toffs, we'll just have to get over it. As long as I live, Collingwood will always be ferrals, whatever the facts.

Urban myths will always surround footy, and the degenerates alike. Our MCC supporter base has dropped considerably, yet suporters of all other clubs will always ignore that. Our club touches 30,000 and no one blinks an eye.

We as a club cannot afford to turn our back on any supporter base, whether it be MCC or in the Casey area.

"We move away from MCC head to casey for new ties with a town that is growing and could get the supporters we need but have to much off a conection to MCC and it will jepodise Supports buying memebership"

I fail to see how our connection with the MCC is stopping any growth into the Casey area. The MCC have not stopped any involvement with the area, as if they would anyway, and how it would jeopardise supporters' buying memberships is beyond me.

I understand the argument about the players' race, and it's a good point that MCC members can get to any race in the ground, but non-MCC members cannot get to the race at present. It's a point that should be made to the club.

I understand the argument about the players' race, and it's a good point that MCC members can get to any race in the ground, but non-MCC members cannot get to the race at present. It's a point that should be made to the club.

simple solution: open the gates at the end of the game

most people dont give a sh** where the enter at the beginning of the game

it's when u win, and u want to clap them off and sing the song after the music stops (sound familier?)

I think any link with the MCC will stay with us as long as we exist. We did build the bloody thing.

Some of us just have to grow thick skin, and move on. If we move to Casey, and do it well, our supporter base will grow naturally and hopefully strongly. I see no reason why we should alienate one supporter base in favour of a potential supporter base.

Opposition fans will always give us a ribbing for being toffs, we'll just have to get over it. As long as I live, Collingwood will always be ferrals, whatever the facts.

Urban myths will always surround footy, and the degenerates alike. Our MCC supporter base has dropped considerably, yet suporters of all other clubs will always ignore that. Our club touches 30,000 and no one blinks an eye.

We as a club cannot afford to turn our back on any supporter base, whether it be MCC or in the Casey area.

"We move away from MCC head to casey for new ties with a town that is growing and could get the supporters we need but have to much off a conection to MCC and it will jepodise Supports buying memebership"

I fail to see how our connection with the MCC is stopping any growth into the Casey area. The MCC have not stopped any involvement with the area, as if they would anyway, and how it would jeopardise supporters' buying memberships is beyond me.

I am more than happy for MFC to go to Casey to Train & Build a Supporter base out there. That is great. I am just totally opposed to playing Matches for points out there. We should aim to fill the 'G wiith large crowds. I will never support a boutique Stadium idea. I think it shows a sign of weakness.

Our club needs to learn the cut-throat nature of the AFL business world, and find any way to make the most out of any given opportunity to make our club strong again.

If that means we play interstate clubs at Casey where we can build a home ground advantage, build a supporter base and generate income, then i'd be for it. It's better than selling home games interstate.

We would still be the Red and Blue, we would still be Melbourne, we would still have the MCG as our home ground. But the reality is we need a new way to invigorate our club.

I can see why you're reticent, but I don't think you can say you're sick of our club accepting mediocrity, and then reject such a positive, forward-thinking move

Our club needs to learn the cut-throat nature of the AFL business world, and find any way to make the most out of any given opportunity to make our club strong again.

If that means we play interstate clubs at Casey where we can build a home ground advantage, build a supporter base and generate income, then i'd be for it. It's better than selling home games interstate.

We would still be the Red and Blue, we would still be Melbourne, we would still have the MCG as our home ground. But the reality is we need a new way to invigorate our club.

I can see why you're reticent, but I don't think you can say you're sick of our club accepting mediocrity, and then reject such a positive, forward-thinking move

Playing Football at Casey Fields is Mediocre-That is exactly my point. Why go backwards??? Get the Supporter base on the Train to the 'G. It aint hard. I caught ithe train from Sandy to Richmond all the time.

It's not happening at the moment, and without a miracle it won't happen any time soon.

We're going to have to find new ways of generatin supporters. It's not as easy as saying "get them on the train"

It's not happening at the moment, and without a miracle it won't happen any time soon.

We're going to have to find new ways of generatin supporters. It's not as easy as saying "get them on the train"

If people see a good club training, playing attacking entertaining Football some of them will get on the train. We have a Fantastic Ground that has never been marketed properly-The time starts next sunday at Jimmy's summit.

I agree. will be a first time member next year but reading a lot of this makes me think the only way to enjoy the club is to join the 100 yr waiting list of the MCC

What makes you say that?

I read Demonland pretty regularly and can't see why people would get that idea.

Just not just this thread. The is a lot of MCC memebers here and a lot of the point of veiws and things that they want are to do with the MCC. I will get some examples if you would like?

There are also more non-MCC members here, and most ideas are not related to the MCC.

Just not just this thread. The is a lot of MCC memebers here and a lot of the point of veiws and things that they want are to do with the MCC. I will get some examples if you would like?

I would like to see these examples. I wouldn't say there are alot of MCC members here. As Rogue pointed out, there are more non-members.

If the club was to return to the G would we then use the change rooms in the Southern Stand as a permanent move. Personally I'm all for the club setting up a permanent change room . As an MCC / MFC member I'd be happy for the club to move to that side of the ground. Just have the players run over to the MCC side after every game kick us a few signed footy's and return to "our" changerooms, not some shared room on the MCC side. Get it done Jimmy.

We need to make from the punt road goals around to the MCC Members our members area. Thats where we had the most of our members when the players race was there but since the new stand was finished we seem more spread. There is a good bar on the second level where we can turn into our social club at the MCG plus the Presidents lunch is held next to it. We need to claim the Jolimont side wing turn it red and blue.

We need to make from the punt road goals around to the MCC Members our members area. Thats where we had the most of our members when the players race was there but since the new stand was finished we seem more spread. There is a good bar on the second level where we can turn into our social club at the MCG plus the Presidents lunch is held next to it. We need to claim the Jolimont side wing turn it red and blue.

Totally agree. The Red seat area was great fun. As an MCC member i would often visit down there as well as the Pavillion to get down & close.. Bring it back.