Alwyn Davey

Tolstoys Nudge

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sylvia could be a capable footballer for us. However he will never reach the heights we hoped for when we got in at Pick 3 in 2003.

Can I ask, what are the heights we hoped for Sylvia to reach when drafted in 2003? (This is an open question to anyone willing to answer too)

I understand his health has been patchy, I would be interested to know just what "we" expected of him, that's all. (There have been some flop No.3's and some outstanding No.3's).

Hey, i don't necessarily want this to happen, but I think it WILL, just from looking at the situation.

Taking sentiment out of the equation...

do really think he's going to come on much more? I think he's about reached his limit for improvement.

I hope i get proved wrong on both counts cos i like the kid

I would much rather get rid of unskilled players who can't hit targets like Bell or Bartram than Sylvia who CAN play really good, classy footy and kick his 4 goals on the odd occasion.

However I do agree with you in that he's currency may be as high it will ever get.

If we can trade him for early 2nd round than I'd consider, however clubs topping up for premierships like Hawthorn, Collingwood, Dogs would only be able to offer us pick 32ish...which is not acceptable.

Can I ask, what are the heights we hoped for Sylvia to reach when drafted in 2003? (This is an open question to anyone willing to answer too)

I understand his health has been patchy, I would be interested to know just what "we" expected of him, that's all. (There have been some flop No.3's and some outstanding No.3's).

well firstly..he WAS taken at 3..our highest pick..and obviously the 3rd that year. Keep in mind we rated him AHEAD of Maclean !! Sylvia had won the Bendigo Pioneers' Best and Fairest and finished runner-up in the league's Morrish Medal the previous year. To put it simply...he came with lots and lots of tickets and tags !! He was supposed to be a gun..a gun that goes BANG !!! not pop !!

Then why would another Club even give a 2nd round pick then?

I THINK this, but another club may not... like most things with football its a judgement call and we just have to hope MFC makes better judgements than the rest of the AFL

well firstly..he WAS taken at 3..our highest pick..and obviously the 3rd that year. Keep in mind we rated him AHEAD of Maclean !! Sylvia had won the Bendigo Pioneers' Best and Fairest and finished runner-up in the league's Morrish Medal the previous year. To put it simply...he came with lots and lots of tickets and tags !! He was supposed to be a gun..a gun that goes BANG !!! not pop !!

Yeah, i remember looking at Sylvia and all i could think was 'next Ricciuto' (or Lethal for the older boys)

but he has been far from that... hate to say it but i question his commitment .. he IS committed, but just not enough to take that step and i don't think he realises how much it really takes

I'm hoping it'll come with maturity though, cos in football terms he's not that young, but in general terms he's got a way to go

this is pure speculation though, i don't know the guy, i'm just going off media reports and lotsa photos i've seen of him with mates.

In the same breath - i think i'm pretty mature and i act like a fu&%ing clown half the time

fingers crossed we keep him, but i think other clubs would see him as our most desirable commodity, bar draft picks (that we would consider trading that is, brock obviously trumps sylv)

I THINK this, but another club may not... like most things with football its a judgement call and we just have to hope MFC makes better judgements than the rest of the AFL

If another Club is seeing upside then why cant we see it?

There is no bankable probability that trading Sylvia for a pick in the late 20s/30s will deliver you anything better than what we have now or what we believe we are likely to get.

I agree that I dont see us actively trading this year as I dont think we have necessary list surplus that have currency with other teams.

Yeah, i remember looking at Sylvia and all i could think was 'next Ricciuto' (or Lethal for the older boys)

but he has been far from that... hate to say it but i question his commitment .. he IS committed, but just not enough to take that step and i don't think he realises how much it really takes

I'm hoping it'll come with maturity though, cos in football terms he's not that young, but in general terms he's got a way to go

this is pure speculation though, i don't know the guy, i'm just going off media reports and lotsa photos i've seen of him with mates.

In the same breath - i think i'm pretty mature and i act like a fu&%ing clown half the time

fingers crossed we keep him, but i think other clubs would see him as our most desirable commodity, bar draft picks (that we would consider trading that is, brock obviously trumps sylv)

Sylvia is a MUST hang on to player!

If another Club is seeing upside then why cant we see it?

There is no bankable probability that trading Sylvia for a pick in the late 20s/30s will deliver you anything better than what we have now or what we believe we are likely to get.

I agree that I dont see us actively trading this year as I dont think we have necessary list surplus that have currency with other teams.

Maybe another club that sees it could be wrong? Surely having Sylvia on our list and having access to everything behind closed doors gives us more insight into how much further Sylvia will develop as a player?

Or do you think we are THAT inept? please don't answer that...

But seriously, even if a player is capable of being that good, if the club sees he won't take the next step, arent we better off getting something for him? He may have cost us pick 3 but his value even to us, is that of a 2nd rounder. At the moment.

I'm just throwing out hypotheticals here...

There's always the possibility that we could trade him and you end up having another Medhurst situation where the player just explodes.

Anyway, for my lot, i say keep him, but set a big ar$e fire under the boy, cos he could be a star if he gets it together