DEBT DEMOLITION

w00dy

If by non-violent means of persuasion we can get just 35% of the thus far non-contributing members to do the same the debt is demolished!

There is no reason this can't happen I.A.N., staggered there is only 1400. Where are the others?

$ 2, 819 , 704

4 days to go!

Yes mousey, fantastic job $2.8M+. Should get the $3M target by Sunday. Need $180,000 more.

If 6,000 members of the 29,000 members each donated $30 each before the weekend it would be done.

Come On DEES fans!

I wouldnt mind if they kept the whole debt demolition thing open for even another month!

Why limit it to a month?

I'm sure they'll be happy to continue taking your money :)

While the total is great, I am devastated that only 1,400 have donated. That is a very low percentage of our members, let alone our supporter base.

I hope Jimmy and Gary hit the media and come on the Footy Show to encourage ALL of our members and supporters to make sure that they give something, even if it is only $5 or $10 dollars.

It's not at all surprising, although I do think the number of supporters donating money will grow.

Many supporters feel their membership is a donation, and that's already at least ~$165 for the standard 11-game membership.

I can understand that many supporters have other priorities.

I am devastated that only 1,400 have donated.

that doesnt surprise me at all. thats about 5% of our members, proably not a bad uptake considering most of the donations are probably from cold calling or response to a mail out. think 1 in 20.

i had this argument with a few people here before debt demolition month, who all seemed to think that their ideas were the best, who were 'guaranteeing' that people would be falling over themselves to donate in the 10-50% range (of members) and it has been shown here that that is not the case.

we have done a fantastic effort to get this much raised. people dont have money to throw around to football clubs when petrol prices, groceries etc are the way they are.

you can only harass people so much and so many times and get so much money.

but a big congrats to everyone who has donated, and big encouragement to everyone who hasnt donated to get on board before the end of the month.

Guest skipper3

Do keep in mind that the footy club first targeted the big cash people (The 150 night), then they had a function last week for middle cash contributors. This weekend the club is concentrating on the rest of us normal members - but, they do know & realise that normal people have other cash worries aswell.

The footy club is having a members function after Sundays game where we will be asked to contribute what we can - I urge as many as people as possible - get along to the function after the Richmond game & support your club.

Please guys, stop nit-picking at everything that the club do as "not good enought". Just get along, show up & support!!!

Its an absolute disgrace. Everyone keeps banging on about $2.7k, that all came from the 150 night, its $650k - thats the pitifall amount our members & supporter base have come up with. Imagine if they only raised $1m at the 150 night, would everyone be happy with the disgraceful effort of our members then?

Do keep in mind that the footy club first targeted the big cash people (The 150 night), then they had a function last week for middle cash contributors. This weekend the club is concentrating on the rest of us normal members - but, they do know & realise that normal people have other cash worries aswell.

The footy club is having a members function after Sundays game where we will be asked to contribute what we can - I urge as many as people as possible - get along to the function after the Richmond game & support your club.

Please guys, stop nit-picking at everything that the club do as "not good enought". Just get along, show up & support!!!

Quite right skipper3. What ever way you look at it to raise almost $3Million is a magnificent achievement. They'll knit-pick at anything these days. They should be thankful that those at the 150 night contributed beyond the duty of call. Not everyone can do that. I'm sure Sunday will be well supported after the game by the red & blue.

Nothing in my post suggests that, Im not sure how you could possibly read that into it. My frustrations are aimed at the 28,000 members who are unwilling to donate even $5 or $10 to date. I'm sure Sunday night will be another fundraising success organised by the club, no doubt it'll be due to the same people giving again though.

Nothing in my post suggests that, Im not sure how you could possibly read that into it. My frustrations are aimed at the 28,000 members who are unwilling to donate even $5 or $10 to date. I'm sure Sunday night will be another fundraising success organised by the club, no doubt it'll be due to the same people giving again though.

I'd imagine torpedo there would be others present on Sunday evening who have not given yet, as well as some who have already given.

Guest skipper3

Your wrong torpedo. I didnt say that "you" were nitpicking - I'm saying to & ALL people to stop bringing up all the negitive points and all get behind the club!!

Yes, the debt drive has been on the back of cashed up people prior to this weekend - no doubt there, but do not say that the majority of members will not give $5 or $10 - they will (& I will too). The whole point for Sunday night is to give the grass-roots members (like myself), the chance to give something.

$ 2, 819 , 704

4 days to go!

I wouldnt mind if they kept the whole debt demolition thing open for even another month!

Why limit it to a month?

Saying that i think they have done a fantastic job!

They will keep it going. They will just have to think of some new ideas.

Guest Diamond Jim Tillbrook

I don’t think Jimmy has taken his debt demolition idea far enough.

I think he could go the whole hog and have the Demon’s Debt Demolition Derby (abbreviated to The 4Ds) and bring on the Monster Trucks

Just Imagine

A Monster Truck in Demon colors jumping over the top of Beverly O’Connor or Collingwood Supporters at the ‘G’

You could also invite your new supporter base from Casey, a demographic that loves the Monster Trucks and would be quite happy to pay 10% of pay-packet to see them (although you may have to get a court order to make them pay)

I'm saying to & ALL people to stop bringing up all the negitive points and all get behind the club!!

Yes, the debt drive has been on the back of cashed up people prior to this weekend - no doubt there, but do not say that the majority of members will not give $5 or $10 - they will (& I will too). The whole point for Sunday night is to give the grass-roots members (like myself), the chance to give something.

I'm behind the club 110%.

How many people do you realistically think are going to turn up to this event Sunday night? You may call it 'negitive' but if you think there will be anything even slightly close to a majority of our members there you need your head checked.

I'm behind the club 110%.

How many people do you realistically think are going to turn up to this event Sunday night? You may call it 'negitive' but if you think there will be anything even slightly close to a majority of our members there you need your head checked.

This was my post: -

I'd imagine torpedo there would be others present on Sunday evening who have not given yet, as well as some who have already given.

How on earth can you reply to this post in the manner you have? I never stated anything about a "majority of members" attending Sunday evening. You need your head read.

HT, no need to get so defensive.

I think it was in reference to this quote.

Yes, the debt drive has been on the back of cashed up people prior to this weekend - no doubt there, but do not say that the majority of members will not give $5 or $10 - they will (& I will too).

I can't see how you can't understand why supporters would be frustrated that only 1400 out of 21,000 Melbourne members have so far donated. Obviously we all, Torpedo and yourself included, want as many members to contribute to the cause as posible.

Hopefully a lot of people will show up post match on Sunday, but i also don't see why this would be what people were waiting for to donate.

This function was initially, as I read it, a celebration for all the people who HAD donated.

We haven't really been told much about the function itself i feel anyway

Sorry HT, included your post in error and didnt notice, Ive amended it.

I agree with you that some people that havent already donated will donate, such an obvious point doesnt really need to be made.

The bottom line is on Sunday there will only be between 500 - 2,000 people there, the majority of whom are diehard supporters who would have already donated. Come Monday there will still be at least 25,000+ 'members' who havent donated a cent, which is pathetic.

Yes, the debt drive has been on the back of cashed up people prior to this weekend - no doubt there, but do not say that the majority of members will not give $5 or $10 - they will (& I will too).

They won't. You won't even have 10% of members at the event, and I'd say that the majority of those will probably have already donated.

we have done a fantastic effort to get this much raised. people dont have money to throw around to football clubs when petrol prices, groceries etc are the way they are.

Absolutely. Donating money to a football club - particularly if you already buy a membership, which is essentially a donation for many - isn't the top priority for many people. Who's to say that's wrong, either? Not I.

Come Monday there will still be at least 25,000+ 'members' who havent donated a cent, which is pathetic.

The only thing that's pathetic is people lambasting people for not donating money to a football Club, IMO (particularly when, as members, they're already contributing $ - which for the majority is at least part 'donation').

Is there any way we can keep it ticking over throughout the offseason? To help it get to 5 by the start of the new season?

I think the debt demolition 'month' has been a really good idea, because I don't think this sort of call-to-arms is something you can keep going indefinitely. The direct-debit options are a good idea to keep money coming. I think people will make sacrifices, but to ask them to do that over a long period of time is a big ask - 'donation fatigue'.

I believe Stynes has asked supporters at one of the events (luncheon or dinner) to consider donating half again next year - might be something he asks all members to do. That'd get us close to the $5M mark.

The only thing that's pathetic is people lambasting people for not donating money to a football Club, IMO.

I understand some people arent in a position to donate, lets not pretend thats 90% of MFC members though. There are plenty of members amongst those other 28,000 who havent yet donated that have a spare few bob to put in, those under pressure from rising living costs, etc only accounts for so many.

If we had raised the same amount of money and 10,000 had donated I'd be much, much happier about the situation.

Sorry HT, included your post in error and didnt notice, Ive amended it.

I agree with you that some people that havent already donated will donate, such an obvious point doesnt really need to be made.

The bottom line is on Sunday there will only be between 500 - 2,000 people there, the majority of whom are diehard supporters who would have already donated. Come Monday there will still be at least 25,000+ 'members' who havent donated a cent, which is pathetic.

Yes. I'd agree with that to a degree. Publicity and pushing the Debt Demolition bandwagon should of been greater in the last half of August IMO. I know there will be those who will think "you can only shove it down peoples throats so much".. but if IT IS critical as Jim says it is, to the longevity and survival of the club. - HELL - shove it down members and supporters throats!

Otherwise 29,000 members plus supporters won't have a club to support.

I understand some people arent in a position to donate, lets not pretend thats 90% of MFC members though. There are plenty of members amongst those other 28,000 who havent yet donated that have a spare few bob to put in, those under pressure from rising living costs, etc only accounts for so many.

For many people, the membership itself is a donation.

Furthermore, even for people that have a 'spare few bob', there are plenty of worthy causes.

Anyhow, $2,905,681 is the total raised so far.

Come Monday there will still be at least 25,000+ 'members' who havent donated a cent, which is pathetic.

The club's raised almost $3 million dollars in one month and finished just shy of 30,000 members. As an MCC member I "donate/invest" in the club by spending another $150 on an MFC membership that I never use, I also sign my son up and my partner(who comes to 2 or 3 games a year in the members. That's over $300 that I give the club every year. As it turns out I also donated to DD but many others would see their memberships as "donations/investments". So think before you call people pathetic because everyone's situation is different, and considering the position of the club everyone has done their bit, some by signing up memberships, some by donating, some by going week in week out and some by doing all of the above. What's pathetic is use of the word to label those who have sighned up to a club that has done little to galvanise it's supporters for so long. Unity and understanding is essential in these difficult but exciting times.