U18 National Championships

Paul Gardner

Round 4 of the U18 National Championships is taking place at Casey Fields tomorrow:

Tasmania vs Western Australia at 10:00am

Victoria Country vs South Australia at 12:15pm

Victoria Metro vs NSW/ACT at 2:30pm

This will be followed by Round 5 at Telstra Dome on Wednesday:

South Australia v NSW/ACT at 10:05am

Tasmania v Victoria Country at 12:15pm

Victoria Metro v Western Australia at 2:30pm

Anyone going?

Round 4 of the U18 National Championships is taking place at Casey Fields tomorrow:

Tasmania vs Western Australia at 10:00am

Victoria Country vs South Australia at 12:15pm

Victoria Metro vs NSW/ACT at 2:30pm

This will be followed by Round 5 at Telstra Dome on Wednesday:

South Australia v NSW/ACT at 10:05am

Tasmania v Victoria Country at 12:15pm

Victoria Metro v Western Australia at 2:30pm

Anyone going?

I'm interested in going out there to have a look.

There was some good talent out there today. Players who caught my eye were -

Jack Watts (Vic Metro) - well worth No.1 pick. Tall, quick, athletic and smart. 2nd efforts were great.

Jordan Lisle (Vic Metro) - big solid strong grab. Great leap and reasonably ahletic. Would be good at FF with some kicking practice though!

Jamie Sheahan (Vic Country) - just throws himself into a contest, only small but strong, quick, and good user of the ball.

Hamish Hartlett (SA) - can find the ball and is very quick. Carried the ball a few times down the wing but couldn't finish off.

Lewis Johnston (SA) - didn't do a lot but when he did get it was pretty good and he has the buddy strut <_<

Daniel Rich (WA) - All class. Great user of the ball.

There were plenty of others to choose from but these are the ones that caught my eye the most. Not that im any expert :wacko:

I only saw the second half of WA game. Naitunui is everything everyone talks about. The one thing that struck me though was the amount of times he was just wandering thru the midfield watching the ball go by :blink: couldnt work that one out. However, he has a huge leap in the ruck and gave first use to his midfielders more often than not.

Watts has courage that's for sure. he came under some heavy treatment in the 3rd quarter and still won the ball and used it beautifully. Got straight back up to. When he won posession up the ground his use of the ball was good. Always found a target. He moves like a rover around the packs I also thought.

Jack Fitzpatrick (VM) - very quick for a tall guy. Playing at FF he left his opponent for dead on the lead (199cm/82kg) Took some good grabs also.

I paid extra attention to the forward lines as (in my expert opinion:lol:) that's where I think we need to improve.

I saw the second half of the WA v Tasmania game and was rather underwhelmed by Naitanui. He's tall, he has a great leap, he's fast and he tackles well but if you're going to draft a ruckman, you'd want him to be able to take marks and kick the ball well. The times he did get the ball he would handball. My preference would be Rich on what I saw today. Despite a heavy tag, he gathered the ball well, looked strong and has great disposal. Will be a top shelf midfielder.

I saw the second half of the WA v Tasmania game and was rather underwhelmed by Naitanui. He's tall, he has a great leap, he's fast and he tackles well but if you're going to draft a ruckman, you'd want him to be able to take marks and kick the ball well. The times he did get the ball he would handball. My preference would be Rich on what I saw today. Despite a heavy tag, he gathered the ball well, looked strong and has great disposal. Will be a top shelf midfielder.

I caught the last game whilst trying to adjust to the diferent jumpers etc whilst learning who's who.

I liked Fitzpatrick, in the second half, & I also liked the work of Stanton. Tyrone Vickery (ruck) looks very good in the hitouts & around the ground, & mobile @ 200cm/86kg. Hurley & Watts looked OK, didn't notice any smalls really but that is probably more about me trying to sort who's who.

Just got back from Casey Fields after watching all three games and I noticed Jimmy Stynes and Chris Connolly there for the last game but didn't see them for the first two. These are the players who came under my notice:

Western Australia

The best two players today for WA unfortunately will have to enjoy the Gold Coast as they are under age for this year's draft. Kane Lucasno (9) is a quality midfielder and Mitch Marsh (21) was the best forward today out of all the games. Of the players who are of draft age:

Rich (10) - had little impact until the last quarter, kicked a nice goal but wasn't a stand out.

Naitanui (44) - the most athletic big man, moves great but today no contested marks and in fact can't remember him taking a mark at all but he dominated the hit outs, doesn't know where to run but jeez he covers the ground well and a couple of passages he looked awesome.

Walters (17) - small quick forward would have kicked 3-4 goals, good foot skills, is a player who wil be drafted as a goal kicking small Aboriginal small forward.

Yarran (30) - did some good things, has good foot skills and speed

Klause (15) - looks a good sized KPP at 195cm, marked well and could be a good second/third round pick.

Tasmania

Robinson (11) - plays a little like Adam Cooney, best player for Tassie by far, midfielder good speed nice kick. If he was still around third round you would get him but more than likely he would be a second round pick.

SA

Thumped Vic Country - a very skillfull team

Hartlett (2) - the best midfielder on the day, great skills and owned his own footy. Good at the clearances, hard but also break away from the pack. On today's form, he would go first round.

Hall (7) - light frame only 65kg good skills and won the footy.

O'Keefe (23) - midfielder good size pace and skill.

Cahill (20) - tall forward kicked a couple of goals and marked well and a few contested. A name like that wil be Port bound for sure.

Vic Country

Sheahan (6) - best player for Vic Country, just kept winning the footy, nice foot skills and second efforts were good.

Suban (10) - hard at it midfielder, will be a first round pick but if he gets through to our second pick worth considering, wins the footy, nice skills.

Vic Metro

Watts (4) - kicked a couple took a few nice marks and kicks well. Looks good leads well but not much pressure today.

Lynch (8) - Matty Bate mark 2, strong readhead, good mark and tough played as the third tall forward.

Hurley (18) - best defender today if you want a reliable KP defender this is your man. He has leader written all over him, impressive great size if fit he will play Round 1 AFL next year for the club that picks him up.

Banner (1) - midfielder, great speed and skills if he is around late in the draft worth a look but doubt he will be.

Lisle (31) - tall forward and to me besides the WA forward Marsh looked to me as the best forward today, strong mark, good skills. If we could get this bloke with our second pick would be a huge win. Doubt he will get that far though.

Hard to assess the WA and Vic Metro players as Tassie and NSW are nowhere near the same level. Looking forward to Wednesday.

Just got back from Casey Fields after watching all three games and I noticed Jimmy Stynes and Chris Connolly there for the last game but didn't see them first two.

On Lisle, he took some good marks which lacked oposition pressure, got in good position, but I don't know.

My gut instinct told me that he is a one dimensional player with a suspect kicking action?

I would be interested in what you thought of Jack Fitzpatrick?

Apologies to Hurley for leaving him out earlier! He looks very strong.

I would be interested in what you thought of Jack Fitzpatrick?

Apologies to Hurley for leaving him out earlier! He looks very strong.

I like the look of him, he takes a good mark leading out & seems to have a composure about him. Looks to be a good kick & I get the impression that he has good agility.

I haven't seen that much of his play but today in the second half he stood out. Looks to have a lot to build upon.