Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

early wicket on day 2. Watson bowled well on day 1 with good swing created by bowling with a good seam. West Indies now have 350 up and have given the 2nd test an injection of good interest for the Test with some decent partnerships. Just what the cricket followers wanted.

Well well well, 9/416 after lunch the West Indies and the aussie bowlers looking a little expensive and have not bowled with purpose in the 1st session. Johnson didn't bend his back, Hauritz whilst bowling just ok is handy but expensive. Too inconsistent for my liking. too safe. I would like to see him change to over the wicket and toss it up a bit, give it a bit of air. Tail is wagging for the West Indies. Frustrating for the Aussies. Nash looking for his century, toughed it out well.

Well then, Australia has a fight on its hands here. Conceding 451 runs was bad enough, but then to lose 7 for 127 to collapse from 3/312 to 439 all out is pretty poor. In fact it's crap.

Siddle is apparently injured (hamstring) and is unlikely to bowl today. That's going to make things very difficult.

Hussey's innings did nothing to ease the pressure on him. Far too slow. The bowling was good, but not that good.

It's amazing how many milestones have been missed in international cricket in the last few weeks:

Shane Watson 96

Brendan Nash 92

Simon Katich 92

Ross Taylor (NZ) 97 and 94

Angelo Mathews (SL) 99 (run out!)

Virender Sehwag (India) 293

I have been really impressed with the West Indian spinner in Benn and their quick Roach. Roach consistenly bowls up near 150km/h and has troubled the batsmen in Adelaide. Deserved more than 3 wickets I thought.

The lead is minimal but they do have 10 wickets in hand. A full days play at anything near their first innings run rate of ~3.90 should ensure a 350 + total and a more than competitive target for Australia to obtain on a weary fifth day pitch. Some good bowling by the West Indies will have the Aussies under pressure.

The odds of $13 to win for the West Indies before the test, looks an even bet at present. Good luck to anyone who got on at those odds, because you're in with a real chance.

Edited by High Tower

I think the Windies should be congratulated for their pluck after a horrible perfomance in Brisbane and the soft dismissals of the top 3 batsman on Day 1.

The efforts of Bravo, Nash and others to put a value on their wicket has been a positive. Their keeper has been impressive in both Tests.

The issue with the Australian batsman is not that they get to the 90s and dont go on. Its the fact that they get to double figures and dont go on with it.

A partial excuse for the openers who paved the way. But on a good deck with an honest but hardly lethal attack we have a few cavaliers who just wont do the hard work.

I dont think the wicket will wear that much. It may play a little lower. Barring a batting collapse by either side I am calling this a draw. But the Windies deserve some congratulations for their efforts. So does Shane Watson who is doing what any batsman should do under pressure. Make runs.

We are looking thin in the attack with Bollinger on debut, a sometimes wayward Mitch Johnson and a "part time" trundler in Watson. Hauritz is hardly likely to run through a line up on this wicket given his history. Its thin in the attack without Siddle and Hilfy. Clinton McKay might get a baggy green for next Test.

Gayle 102 not out.

Nash 20 not out.

Run rate 3.17

However the last 10 overs it has been ~4.10

WI 3/181, lead by 193 runs with 7 wickets in hand.

37 overs remaining for the day. The next ~7 overs remaining before tea will be important.

It will be interesting to see what the West Indies do in the last session too and whether they declare, or bat out the day. It will undoubtedly depend upon Gayle's current knock and his partnership with Nash and Bravo still to come.

Game is up for grabs, with the "draw" still very much a possibility. Whilst the West Indies still have 7 wickets, I'm guessing 350 + lead as long as they can bat another 30 + overs.

Pressure will mount for Australia.

Edited by High Tower

anyone else think that Husseys career is running out?

time to bring Hughes back and drop Watson down the order

I share that sentiment.

Better to do it now whilst we're arguably playing a "minnow" :unsure: , must get the side right. Let's see a genuine opener open. A genuine opener wouldn't have gone the smash on 96 and bowled neck and crop middle stump. That's an all-rounders job. Watson can go down the order.

anyone else think that Husseys career is running out?

time to bring Hughes back and drop Watson down the order

Has Hughes been amongst the runs recently?

I dont think so. If he shows form then he gets considered for selection not before.

Our problem is in the middle order. Watson and Katich put on 173 in the current Test for the opening partnership. No problem there.

Hussey is like a chook scratch in the dirt. He is looking brittle even on a great batting strip like Adelaide.

Its now 4/212. 20 overs to go and in the last 10 overs Windies have scored 28 and lost one wicket. Gayle would have to go ballistic to set a decent score.

Still backing a draw but a score over 300 on a turning wicket might be interesting with the Windies plying two spinners (yes the Windies) from both ends.

Better to do it now whilst we're arguably playing a "minnow" :unsure: , must get the side right. Let's see a genuine opener open. A genuine opener wouldn't have gone the smash on 96 and bowled neck and crop middle stump. That's an all-rounders job. Watson can go down the order.

We are still to play another minnow in Pakistan. Geez a guy makes 96 and puts on 170 for the opening partnership and we want to break it up. Amazing. I do recall Barath and Gayle playing worse shots to get out in this Test series. Lucky they are not genuine openers.

Chris Gayle has carried his bat.

Absolutely fantastic effort - for all the crap he's copped he deserves plaudits for the innings he has played in the second innings. Hopefully has learnt from this innings (and Chanderpaul) to put value on his wicket in future.

Doing some quick calcs - it appears only the third time that Gayle has scored over 50 (41 times in total) and had less than 50% of his runs come from boundaries, with this innings yielding the least amount of runs from boundaries percentage wise.

Chasing 330 in 82 overs - could be barnstorming

Edited by 45HG16

Chris Gayle has carried his bat.

Absolutely fantastic effort - for all the crap he's copped he deserves plaudits for the innings he has played in the second innings. Hopefully has learnt from this innings (and Chanderpaul) to put value on his wicket in future.

Doing some quick calcs - it appears only the third time that Gayle has scored over 50 (41 times in total) and had less than 50% of his runs come from boundaries, with this innings yielding the least amount of runs from boundaries percentage wise.

Chasing 330 in 82 overs - could be barnstorming

Absolutely. Full marks to Gayle. Definitely made up for his soft performances in the Test so far.

A great effort to carry your bat. Now we have seen three WI players stand up on this tour and go on and make tons.

Does Australia have the mettle? Hussey wont want to fail now if he gets the chance.

Very intriguing. Still think Adelaide Demon is a lucky bastard to be there though!! :P

Well done Windies so far.

Australia 5/139. Bravo Bravo with 3/14 off 8. S. Benn bowled super tightly. No wickets but has turned the screws. 0/30 of 23 overs.

24 more overs to go, 5 wickets to get.

If the Windies win, they deserve it. If the Australians lose, they deserve too.

Gayle, Bravo or Benn for man of the match.

Hussey may finally be dropped after another fail.

Questions have to be asked about Hauritz's effectiveness given Benn's efforts.

No 4 batting spot and spinner position open. Applications can now be accepted for both spots!

Well done Windies so far.

Australia 5/139. Bravo Bravo with 3/14 off 8. S. Benn bowled super tightly. No wickets but has turned the screws. 0/30 of 23 overs.

24 more overs to go, 5 wickets to get.

If the Windies win, they deserve it. If the Australians lose, they deserve too.

Gayle, Bravo or Benn for man of the match.

Hussey may finally be dropped after another fail.

Questions have to be asked about Hauritz's effectiveness given Benn's efforts.

No 4 batting spot and spinner position open. Applications can now be accepted for both spots!

Agree with your candidates for man-of-the-match.

The West Indies are close, the pressure is on. Another quick wicket would really put the squeeze on. They really need Clarke and Haddin out. Roach could be the man to do it.

Like I said earlier RR, Hussey out, put Clarke up to No.4, Watson in at 5 (or maybe North at 5; Watson at 6), and Hughes to open with Katich.

edit: with regard to Hauritz. 0/68 off 27 overs. tsk tsk. Who are the applicants...Krejza ? ...

Edited by High Tower

Agree with your candidates for man-of-the-match.

The West Indies are close, the pressure is on. Another quick wicket would really put the squeeze on. They really need Clarke and Haddin out. Roach could be the man to do it.

Like I said earlier RR, Hussey out, put Clarke up to No.4, Watson in at 5 (or maybe North at 5; Watson at 6), and Hughes to open with Katich.

edit: with regard to Hauritz. 0/68 off 27 overs. tsk tsk. Who are the applicants...Krejza ? ...

There is no need to drop Watson at this point down the order. The openers aren't the issue. If it ain't broke dont fix it. Katich is in doubt for Perth. Hughes to replace him.

Hussey might survive but Melbourne could be his swansong.

Siddle in doubt. Hilfy or McKay or both. Good reason they wont play a spinner in Perth.

If we did choose a spinner in the Test beyond, O'Keeffe suggested McGain who has a good record at MCG and SCG. Krejza? Any reliable form this year?

Well then, Australia has a fight on its hands here. Conceding 451 runs was bad enough, but then to lose 7 for 127 to collapse from 3/312 to 439 all out is pretty poor. In fact it's crap.

Siddle is apparently injured (hamstring) and is unlikely to bowl today. That's going to make things very difficult.

Hussey's innings did nothing to ease the pressure on him. Far too slow. The bowling was good, but not that good.

For what it's worth, Watson's strike rate was 37. Hussey's was 36 (and by the time he was batting, our chances of winning had decreased).

There is no need to drop Watson at this point down the order. The openers aren't the issue. If it ain't broke dont fix it. Katich is in doubt for Perth. Hughes to replace him.

Hussey might survive but Melbourne could be his swansong.

Siddle in doubt. Hilfy or McKay or both. Good reason they wont play a spinner in Perth.

If we did choose a spinner in the Test beyond, O'Keeffe suggested McGain who has a good record at MCG and SCG. Krejza? Any reliable form this year?

I was going to put McGain straight after Krejza. Didn't McGain get dropped by the Vics recently ?

I'll be happy if McGain does get a recall.

Despite the facts being that Watson has scored some runs and it doesn't appear to be broken, it's hard to argue the facts for the moment. For the moment the selectors will feel justified. For someone who seemed so injury prone, he is playing a hell of a lot of demanding cricket, I hope his body holds up. He appears to have a weakness which bowlers are exploiting ie.lbw.

I just can't help but think with better opposition such as a Sth Africa, England or India with better opening bowlers, would we be seeing the same thing in terms of runs in return from Watson as opener ?

Like, I've said now, the facts (runs) are in his favour as opener, and that is all you can ask for the moment as an opener. So, I'll leave it alone.

If Katich doesn't make Perth and Hughes is in, well things might occur naturally if Hughes has a good Test Match.

I wouldn't play a spinner in Perth at this stage (conditions of pitch will dictate - usually 4 fast bowlers is the go), bowl North for a few overs if need be.

For what it's worth, Watson's strike rate was 37. Hussey's was 36 (and by the time he was batting, our chances of winning had decreased).

Dude, I think you need to check when it was posted

Congratulations to the Windies for playing probably their best Test cricket in 5 years. Dwayne Bravo really sets their team up. That performance would usually get BOG honours, but it's hard to go past an opener who carries his bat and makes 164 (with the next highest score being 27). And an under-pressure captain to boot.

With Siddle unlikely, and Hilfenhaus still out, a pace spot opens up. If the selectors are desperate to ensure we win, they should pick Stuart Clark. But if they want to choose someone with an eye to the future, they should pick Clint Mackay.

Hauritz should not be guaranteed his spot in Perth. On our tour of South Africa we played McDonald instead of a spinner and we won 2-1 on pitches that didn't take spin too well. Perth doesn't take spin too well. I'd be inclined to bring McDonald pack. His medium pacers are better than most give him credit for, and he did little wrong in South Africa. I'd be telling Hauritz to go back to NSW and get some wickets.

The two big worries in the middle order are Hussey and North. Hussey gets one last Test. Another failure and it will probably be time to look at a replacement. Callum Ferguson couldn't have done his ACL at a worse time. Maybe George Bailey? Or, of course, we could drop Watson down the order and open with Hughes/Jaques/Rogers (one of whom may be brought in anyway if Katich doesn't come up). Batting Watson at 5/6 would also help him bowl more overs.

As for North, he has a major problem of making tiny scores, interspersed with 100s. He also seems to do a lot worse when he comes in at a critical point, rather than when we're cruising. I'm not convinced that he's the answer at 6, despite his 3 centuries. Continual sub-20 scores hurt.

My team for Perth:

Watson

Katich (subject to fitness)

Ponting

Hussey

Clarke

North

Haddin

McDonald

Johnson

Mackay

Bollinger