Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

It was FFS. Watson was moved in as an opener with success. Bollinger and Siddle have about two years experience. Since then Harris, George and Paine have been blooded since then.

Hussey averaged 66 with the bat against the Pakis. Not a case to be dropped. I am not sure what the match fixing allegations have here with team selection. Oh, yes HT did point that out. B)

North could have been dropped but who would they have reasonably replaced him with given they were going for a No 6 that could bowl. Sorry White struggled at 8 when he played and does not even bowl himself these days. So not a clear selection issue.

The ACB selectors have been doing this where there are ready replacements. The spinner and middle order roles are begging for players to sit up and create the action. Who did? Ferguson got injured at the wrong time and missed his moment. There is no clear

You continue to rant on about this but have been unable to put a plausible or sensible substantiation to your comments. I dont think in some areas its a deep well for the selectors to tap. But only you see the obvious. :blink::rolleyes:

Just watch the game right now!!! A complete shambles, even Warnie is Twittering his discontent at Ponting's captaincy. Sorry but he has no idea how to set a field, & Hauritz is bowling crap-& you say that i am Ranting!!!

HaHa B)

Moving away from WYL's senility...

I am also struggling to identify definite replacements for either or both players where that replacement has a good track record over the past 6 to 12 months to push for selection.

They might not have the 6-12 months of form on the board, but Usman Khawaja and Callum Ferguson are the two young guns who should be in the side soon. Then there's still Cameron White, Phillip Hughes, Phil Jaques, David Hussey, Chris Rogers, even Andrew McDonald and Michael Klinger, and the option of playing Haddin/Paine as a batsman.

As for Hauritz, the options are less convicing, with Steven Smith the only possibility really. Shows the dire position spin bowling in this country is in. But despite Warne lashing Ponting's field settings, Hauritz is really struggling to bowl a decent line/length and bowls far too many boundary balls.

Just watch the game right now!!! A complete shambles, even Warnie is Twittering his discontent at Ponting's captaincy. Sorry but he has no idea how to set a field, & Hauritz is bowling crap-& you say that i am Ranting!!!

HaHa B)

I am glad you are watching it now. I am sure Warnie has enough axes to grind.

And I am glad you know how to set a field in cricket. Very reassuring. You might work out that its impossible to set a meaningful field when a bowler is bowling crap. But I am sure you must be on top of that too.

And to correct a misconception, alot of posters feel you rant on and I believe with proven justification.

I am glad you are watching it now. I am sure Warnie has enough axes to grind.

And I am glad you know how to set a field in cricket. Very reassuring. You might work out that its impossible to set a meaningful field when a bowler is bowling crap. But I am sure you must be on top of that too.

And to correct a misconception, alot of posters feel you rant on and I believe with proven justification.

Ponting is a professional Cricketer & has been for over a decade, so he should by now know how to set a field. He is also part of the selection committee so he should also be ready for Hauritz's crap Bowling. I was and i am on the couch at home.

Why do you keep making excuses for this rubbish RR??, i consider you a better man

Moving away from WYL's senility...

Ok back on Earth :lol:

They might not have the 6-12 months of form on the board, but Usman Khawaja and Callum Ferguson are the two young guns who should be in the side soon. Then there's still Cameron White, Phillip Hughes, Phil Jaques, David Hussey, Chris Rogers, even Andrew McDonald and Michael Klinger, and the option of playing Haddin/Paine as a batsman.

A fit Ferguson and now Khawaja are starting to have claims and there is no reason why if they bat well that they can make the test team. Both Hughes and Rogers are openers and I dont think this is where the gaps are. Jaques has been patchy and does not make runs at critical times. Hussey is a one day player. Klinger needs a good streak of form to push. McDonald a good nice to have bat/bowl that just does not look competent enought to star sufficiently with one or the other. You need to do that at Test level. With Watson already there, I cant see how they will opt for MacDonald unless they drop a quick.

As for Hauritz, the options are less convicing, with Steven Smith the only possibility really. Shows the dire position spin bowling in this country is in. But despite Warne lashing Ponting's field settings, Hauritz is really struggling to bowl a decent line/length and bowls far too many boundary balls.

Too true.

I blame Greg Chappell for all this. Telling his brother to bowl that underarm was a .........

Ponting is a professional Cricketer & has been for over a decade, so he should by now know how to set a field. He is also part of the selection committee so he should also be ready for Hauritz's crap Bowling. I was and i am on the couch at home.

Why do you keep making excuses for this rubbish RR??,

Maybe you could give him a Jimma chat some time. If you did have a clue about field settings you would know it means nothing if a bowler does bowl to plan.

I guess you cant see that at silly mid couch.

I just dont stoop to an ongoing tirade of silly comments and thoughtless swipes on issues. It just highlights you and not the problem you think you are addressing.

Maybe you could give him a Jimma chat some time. If you did have a clue about field settings you would know it means nothing if a bowler does bowl to plan.

I guess you cant see that at silly mid couch.

I just dont stoop to an ongoing tirade of silly comments and thoughtless swipes on issues. It just highlights you and not the problem you think you are addressing.

Sorry i just read that about 5 times and am not exactly sure what you are saying?

I would hope Ponting would set a field in consultation with Hauritz to enhance what Hauritz plans to do with the Ball. Can't see this happening from either man at present-i will keep watching..............

I am not the cause of the Australian Cricket sides problem as you allude too-I just don't think the selectors have done nearly enough post Gilchrist retiring.

Sadly i think it's too late for this summers ashes, unless the Poms are more useless than Australia which we all know is possible!

Edited by why you little

Sorry i just read that about 5 times and am not exactly sure what you are saying?

I should have said if a bowler does not bowl to plan.

I would hope Ponting would set a field in consultation with Hauritz to enhance what Hauritz plans to do with the Ball. Can't see this happening from either man at present-i will keep watching..............

But if Hauritz is not place the ball where it should go then..... Do you think Ponting and Hauritz talk off the field and actual plan the fields rather than "Hey that didnt work what do we do now?"

I am not the cause of the Australian Cricket sides problem as you allude too-I just don't think the selectors have done nearly enough post Gilchrist retiring.

I didnt. But you make so many silly statements it reflects on you and not your target. And if the selectors have not done enough post Gilchrist what should they have done? You have been challenged on this view previously like alot of other views and had little of substance to back it up.

Sadly i think it's too late for this summers ashes, unless the Poms are more useless than Australia which we all know is possible!

You do like to cash your chips in early.

I should have said if a bowler does not bowl to plan.

Cool now it makes sense!! If a bowler continues not to bowl to plan, then as captain first i would ask why? and try to fix it. If it continues then a new bowler must be used. Ponting has always been reactive as a fielding Caotain. Sadly it dilutes his efforts with the bat. His innings yesterday was one of his best, Pity we can't have a seperate fielding captain, because it's not Pontings forte.

I would hope they would plan (Captain & Bowler), but whatever it is, is not working, and it hasn't worked now for way too long

Why persist playing people who are not going to cut it, or should retire. Play more kids, see who does stand up. Because we still do not know at present with about 5 spots in the Aussie XI I don't mind losing if i see new blood trying to make a go of it. Like the MFC post 2007.

Watching Hussey and Hauritz & of course Marcus North is just ludicrous and has been for over 12 months.

You think we are a solid chance to take back the ashes over there right now??

It's too late to make changes now, the selectors have missed the boat.

The old Dart may lose the series for us, but we won't win it looking at this team IMO

Edited by why you little

Can you, for once, back up a rant with some substance.

Who should be playing instead whom?

" If a bowler continues not to bowl to plan, then as captain first i would ask why? and try to fix it. If it continues then a new bowler must be used" - sounds pretty reactionary to me. It's a brilliant point, I'm sure Ponting hasn't thought of going to those lengths to see why a bowler is not doing his job.

" If a bowler continues not to bowl to plan, then as captain first i would ask why? and try to fix it. If it continues then a new bowler must be used" - sounds pretty reactionary to me. It's a brilliant point, I'm sure Ponting hasn't thought of going to those lengths to see why a bowler is not doing his job.

But the trouble is, he doesn't do it...Thinking and doing are different skills obviously.

He needs his 'Jimma" gee up chat with WYL then it would all be clear.

Thinking and doing are different skills obviously.

You have proven that ad nauseum.

But the trouble is, he doesn't do it...Thinking and doing are different skills obviously.

And criticizing and suggesting are differnt skills obviously, as you still haven't backed up anything you said.

You're kidding that he doesn't rotate his bowlers, absolutely joking. You've forgotten what life was like before Mcgrath/Warne.

And criticizing and suggesting are differnt skills obviously, as you still haven't backed up anything you said.

You're kidding that he doesn't rotate his bowlers, absolutely joking. You've forgotten what life was like before Mcgrath/Warne.

Smith should be playing, after Warnie gave him some lessons last year, his action improved dramatically, persevere with him.

Cameron white should be playing. Even David Hussey should get opportunities. There's a few players for you.

M Hussey, Hauritz & North should no longer be selected.

Why do the selectors persist? That is all i am asking.

No its not. You are not just asking at all. You make ignorant broad brush criticisms without substantiation and as usual you get found out.

Smith has bowled 300 overs in first class cricket with a bowl ave of 49! and a strike rate of 73! Its no basis for Test selection as a front line spinner. And a couple of net sessions with Warnie wont change a thing in the short term.

All you have done is thrown a couple of names without consideration of their form or first class record. Wonderful.

And if it wasnt for the prat Chappell we wouldn't be in......

No its not. You are not just asking at all. You make ignorant broad brush criticisms without substantiation and as usual you get found out.

Smith has bowled 300 overs in first class cricket with a bowl ave of 49! and a strike rate of 73! Its no basis for Test selection as a front line spinner. And a couple of net sessions with Warnie wont change a thing in the short term.

All you have done is thrown a couple of names without consideration of their form or first class record. Wonderful.

And if it wasnt for the prat Chappell we wouldn't be in......

And the Test average of the 3 afore mentioned players for this year would not be much better. Warnie got carted when he first played, but they persevered.

We got thrashed today in this test, and what did we learn from it? As far as getting ready for the ashes it was a waste of time sadly.

And the Test average of the 3 afore mentioned players for this year would not be much better.

But of course, you won't research that... I mean, why would you want supporting evidence?

A fit Ferguson and now Khawaja are starting to have claims and there is no reason why if they bat well that they can make the test team. Both Hughes and Rogers are openers and I dont think this is where the gaps are. Jaques has been patchy and does not make runs at critical times. Hussey is a one day player. Klinger needs a good streak of form to push. McDonald a good nice to have bat/bowl that just does not look competent enought to star sufficiently with one or the other. You need to do that at Test level. With Watson already there, I cant see how they will opt for MacDonald unless they drop a quick.

I assume you mean 'can't' make the team?

Jaques is patchy, but has the Test form. Khawaja and Ferguson will make it eventually. Hughes and Rogers are openers, true, but in Hughes' case I can certainly see him thriving at number 6 as a counter-attacking batsman. Would take a bit of a change but he won't make it at the top for another 2 seasons.

McDonald's batting is on the up. But combined with his bowling I still think he's good enough atm. And disagree re: Hussey, he's a first-class performer. Leading run scorer in the Shield last season, and he also bowls well. Took the two big wickets today vs WA (Pomersbach and Swart).

what's the point 45, Hussey Hauritz & North don't deserve to play in the test side, or do you think they should??

I don't really have time, but I'm doing it anyway:

MEK Hussey: Batting Average = 36.83 (1 x 100, 2 x 50, 1 x 0)

MJ North: Batting Average = 32.38 (2 x 100, 1 x 50, 3 x 0), Bowling Average = 16.71 (1 x 5WI, 0 x 10WM)

NM Hauritz: Batting Average = 29.20 (0 x 100, 0 x 50, 0 x 0), Bowling Average = 41.31 (1 x 5WI, 0 x 10WM)

MEK Hussey: Batting Average = 36.83 (1 x 100, 2 x 50, 1 x 0)

MJ North: Batting Average = 32.38 (2 x 100, 1 x 50, 3 x 0), Bowling Average = 16.71 (1 x 5WI, 0 x 10WM)

NM Hauritz: Batting Average = 29.20 (0 x 100, 0 x 50, 0 x 0), Bowling Average = 41.31 (1 x 5WI, 0 x 10WM)

Thanks TU i knew somebody would do it, i am eating a late dinner. Those averages are pretty average and going down i would say.

North certainly looks better after his Ton last week, but should it save his spot? Not for me.

So for the ashes series will the selectors name a side to Win, or name a side to minimize the loss?

Sad to think that way before a series against the enemy. I just don't think a lot has been learnt since the last ashes series.

So i hope like '89, a few more new names make the journey. Nobody backed them did they.

Edited by why you little

And the Test average of the 3 afore mentioned players for this year would not be much better. Warnie got carted when he first played, but they persevered.

We got thrashed today in this test, and what did we learn from it? As far as getting ready for the ashes it was a waste of time sadly.

Smith is being considered as a bowler. At 20 and a part time leggie with an average of 50 and strike rate of one in 12 overs is not a firm basis for selection. However in the past 2 tests, Hauritz has bowled himself out of the Test team as opposed to the tenuous argument you are trying to make. Smith is likely to be thrown to the wolves

Warne was a junior prodigy who was identified as a 15yo as a very promising leggie. Warne was always going to make it. Smith is nowhere near Warne's class. And for the record Warne was 3 years older than Smith when he made his Test debut. So they are hardly denying Smith opportunities. :rolleyes:

Thanks TU i knew somebody would do it, ... Those averages are pretty average and going down i would say.

Why you cant actually provide information to support a comment is beyond me. You are a treasure trove of uninformed comment and a wasteland of facts.

I am not sure 5 years averages are a basis for determining Test selection or not. I would have through a rolling 12 months of scores and average would have been more applicable.

So for the ashes series will the selectors name a side to Win, or name a side to minimize the loss?

Sad to think that way before a series against the enemy. I just don't think a lot has been learnt since the last ashes series.

Duhhh! Only you could ask such a self serving question. There are no easy answers to the situation at the moment. I hope an uncapped player rises to occassion.

Your last sentence would be a true assessment of your personal disposition

The numbers I put up were the averages for matches played in 2010.

Cool i thought so. They are not that strong going into an ashes campaign, and i say again that sadly the australian Test side and selectors have learnt very little in the past 18 months.

Maybe the Poms need to Thrash us on home soil, so we can see some real action. Hurts a lot to say that, but treading water proves nothing.

Smith is being considered as a bowler. At 20 and a part time leggie with an average of 50 and strike rate of one in 12 overs is not a firm basis for selection. However in the past 2 tests, Hauritz has bowled himself out of the Test team as opposed to the tenuous argument you are trying to make. Smith is likely to be thrown to the wolves

Warne was a junior prodigy who was identified as a 15yo as a very promising leggie. Warne was always going to make it. Smith is nowhere near Warne's class. And for the record Warne was 3 years older than Smith when he made his Test debut. So they are hardly denying Smith opportunities. :rolleyes:

Why you cant actually provide information to support a comment is beyond me. You are a treasure trove of uninformed comment and a wasteland of facts.

I am not sure 5 years averages are a basis for determining Test selection or not. I would have through a rolling 12 months of scores and average would have been more applicable.

Duhhh! Only you could ask such a self serving question. There are no easy answers to the situation at the moment. I hope an uncapped player rises to occassion.

Your last sentence would be a true assessment of your personal disposition

Your opinions once again RR, and you are entitled to them as i am, but going by what i have heard on talk back radio since the loss last night i am not alone.

And yes i would love an uncapped young player to rise to the occasion as much as you, but are they being given the chance?? That's what i have been asking.

Hussey, Hauritz are now list cloggers. Marcus North is hanging on by a thread.

Btw "a wasteland of facts" is a bit rich.

Hurts a lot to say that, but treading water proves nothing.

You'd know.

Hussey, Hauritz are now list cloggers.

"List cloggers"....FMD.

They're not playing at Casey WYL. They're representing Australia. This on the back of your statement in another thread that Davey is "now a senior player."

The mind boggles.

You are in fine form, aren't you...or I should say true to form.

Ricky Ponting needs to take at least some ownership as captain on the back of his reply to the criticism from Warnie's 'tweet' re: field placings for Hauritz's bowling. Ponting claimed that Hauritz sets the field to his own bowling and that Warne should get his facts right. Maybe Warne was speaking out of school. But I reckon as a spin bowler with the record he has got, he must know something.

Captains should be liasing with their bowler's and help setting the field. I would be surprised, very surprised, if Ricky didn't have one say or one contribution re: the field placings for Nathan Hauritz's bowling. And staggered, that Hauritz would bowl to his own set fields without any input from Ricky. I think as a captain, you need to know plans (field placings) for certain batsmen for all of your bowlers. Sure, we're not part of the inner sanctum and it may well be that Hauritz can do whatever he pleases. But I would be absolutely dumb founded if that were in fact the case.

That said, after Hauritz got pummelled, Ricky did the right thing in taking him off. And Warne should keep things like that to himself or speak to Ricky behind the scenes and not air them publicly if he had any concern. It's the last thing Ricky needs. Poor form by Warnie, and it's pleasing to see Warne still making yards with his phone (iphone ?).