Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

The wickets yesterday fell to batsman error not from the ball doing anything significantly off the track.

The first hour is critical for both sides. Australia needs wickets, SA needs runs and no outs.

The pitch is still good to bat on. Australia does not have a fifth day bowler. Every bowler needs to chip in and take a wicket or two but McDonald will be important for the one that could keep low.

SA have their nose in front at this point.

The pitch is still good to bat on. Australia does not have a fifth day bowler. Every bowler needs to chip in and take a wicket or two but McDonald will be important for the one that could keep low.

SA have their nose in front at this point.

Kerry O'Keefe said the same regarding McDonald yesterday for the 5th day.

Should be interesting the 1st session.

McDonald seems to be coming into his own here, great catch of Kallis.

McKenzie could have just thrown his spot away, odd that he's the back up captain but anyway.

Would like to see Devilliers stick around, I rate him pretty highly. Hasn't started too smoothly though

Knew it was game over... :P

ditto - :o

Smiths act was one of the most courageous things I have seen in a while. How good was it to see the sydney crowd give him a standing ovation coming out to bat.

Had an interesting discussion with my neighbour after hayden put down that catch. His statement was that hes eyes have to be on their way out. Interesting observation to make..... maybe its not bad form, he just isn't seeing the ball as well as he should. I wonder how ofter cricket australia test these things?

Fantastic Series with a fitting and dramatic finale that gives great credit to both captains, both sides and the administration. The best series since the Ashes 2005. Both sides should be absolutely praised for the competitive character and sportsmanship of all the players during an absorbing and rivetting series.

The conduct of the players and officials particularly during the contentious Kallis decision was exemplary and should be a training video basis for all other teams.

Graeme Smith was a stand out man of the series. And a brave effort in the 2nd innings. The last time I saw this happen was when Pakistani opener Talaat Ali came out to bat with a broken finger against Australia in Adelaide in the early 70s. He held the bat in his good (top) hand and held his injured hand behind his back. He lasted 3 balls. Smith's effort deserves recognition against the quicks.

Although the ICC rankings have Australia on top, there is no doubt in my mind that the South Africa is the top side ATM in terms of performance, sportsmanship and character. They absolutely embarrass the Indians in the last two categories who should take a lesson from them. No doubt they wont.

Good series coming up in SA. However both sides need to manage their strike bowlers Steyn and Johnson. Both have been fantastic but both looked physically jaded from their herculean efforts.

Nothing better than Test cricket. Barely interested in the lolly forms of the game.

Meanwhile English cricket once more shoots itself in the foot with the resignation of both Captain and Coach. :rolleyes: Roll on Ashes 2009.......

Fantastic Series with a fitting and dramatic finale that gives great credit to both captains, both sides and the administration. The best series since the Ashes 2005. Both sides should be absolutely praised for the competitive character and sportsmanship of all the players during an absorbing and rivetting series.

The conduct of the players and officials particularly during the contentious Kallis decision was exemplary and should be a training video basis for all other teams.

Although the ICC rankings have Australia on top, there is no doubt in my mind that the South Africa is the top side ATM in terms of performance, sportsmanship and character. They absolutely embarrass the Indians in the last two categories who should take a lesson from them. No doubt they wont.

Nothing better than Test cricket. Barely interested in the lolly forms of the game.

Well said Rhino.....

Your a lot more polite towards the indian side then I am after the last couple of series - so i'm glad you beat me to the punch this morning!

Does anyone know when SA play in india next? That will be a series to watch closely.

Great Game, Graeme Smith has become a Legend, that aside the result gives the Australians a new positive Start to the year. The new Australian team is already emerging. I am still Dark that Lee & Symmonds were selected for the 2nd test in the first place.

But i wonder whether those two will wear a baggy green again along with Hayden.

Bring on the Poms & Let's "Blitz 'em over there"

Ashes is looking like a tough series, it's always hard playing a well bonded team that stay firm and always look out for each other, with a strong-team-oriented captain at the helm...

Graeme Smith was a stand out man of the series. And a brave effort in the 2nd innings. The last time I saw this happen was when Pakistani opener Talaat Ali came out to bat with a broken finger against Australia in Adelaide in the early 70s. He held the bat in his good (top) hand and held his injured hand behind his back. He lasted 3 balls. Smith's effort deserves recognition against the quicks.

Good series coming up in SA. However both sides need to manage their strike bowlers Steyn and Johnson. Both have been fantastic but both looked physically jaded from their herculean efforts.

Meanwhile English cricket once more shoots itself in the foot with the resignation of both Captain and Coach. :rolleyes: Roll on Ashes 2009.......

Very well said Rhino. Your perspective on cricket is very similar to mine.

For me, South Africa is definitely no. 1 in the world. However, all this talk about Australia sliding down doesn't stack up when you consider how close we have been in a three test series against the world's best. We are no. 2 IMO. India is 3, but won't last too long there.

I believe McDonald has a future in the Test side. His batting didn't look awful, and 15 on debut against bowlers like Steyn and Morkel isn't bad enough to rule out his batting. And he bowls well (though how much of it was the pitch?). But give him some time, I think he can make it.

In Siddle and Johnson we have found two definite stars with the ball. I love Johnson's ability to take a wicket when needed. If he can get a ball to come back into right-handers he'll become the world's best. And Siddle has the makings of a champion. He just needs to work on not pitching too short (a la Perth).

Far from convinced that Hauritz is the man for the job. Just doesn't get enough spin for mine. Having said that, Paul Harris doesn't turn it much more than Hauritz, yet South Africa manage fine with him. But I think we need someone a bit more damaging. Maybe Krejza, but at the moment he's unusable due to the amount of runs he concedes.

And I believe Hayden's time is up. Time for a new face at the top of the order. Take Hughes to South Africa.

How good was that innings by David Warner at the "G" on Sunday night?? Awesome. What a debut 89 runs off 43 balls. Whilst its only a 20/20 international. It shows definite potential for a 50 over one day international debut.....soon.

How good was that innings by David Warner at the "G" on Sunday night?? Awesome. What a debut 89 runs off 43 balls. Whilst its only a 20/20 international. It shows definite potential for a 50 over one day international debut.....soon.

He has his chance tomorrow. Clarke is out for the rest of the South Africa ODI series because of his thumb. This actually works well for us. Now Hussey doesn't have to open any more, and he can return to 4 or 5. And we get to see a Marsh-Warner partnership develop.

He got it and then failed by getting out for 6. He is an exciting prospect though.

He got a great delivery, one that would have got most any batsman out.....

He is definitely an exciting prospect, and one that we need filling that role, but lets not blow the kid up too much (could be a little late for that though), only to fail him if he doesn't measure up quite the same way as quickly again in subsequent games, after what he did the other night, he is still very raw and in his rookie season for the Blues. Once he finds his feet he'll be great.

....and he is only 22yo.

He has stacks of time and opportunity to make the big time.

However, is JP Duminy the find of the summer? At 24yo (still very young by modern cricket standards) his performance with the bat and in the field have been astonishing in their maturity and poise. I am scratching the think of a better debut under tough competitive conditions from a player under 25? Michael Clark in India in 2005(?)???

....and he is only 22yo.

However, is JP Duminy the find of the summer? At 24yo (still very young by modern cricket standards) his performance with the bat and in the field have been astonishing in their maturity and poise. I am scratching the think of a better debut under tough competitive conditions from a player under 25? Michael Clark in India in 2005(?)???

What a series for duminy, but from our side it would be siddle for mine - big future, big heart, bit of mongrel in him as well.

And while we are on vic fast bowlers did anyone watch the vic v nsw 20/20. How nannes can't get a 20/20 international game is beyond me.

....and he is only 22yo.

Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara?

With regard to JP Duminy. An absolute cracker. Has star written all over him. This tour is definitely the coming of age for this bloke.