• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC woes - main issue on KB show now

TonyMelb

The point of my post was not to winge but to merely inform those who weren't able to listen at that time of the coverage. The main point was that news such as that regarding Col Sylvia was not helpful to MFC in its efforts to pump up the club membership and promote the 150th year. We should all be boasting unashamedly about the MFC at this time but as yet we have not been given much ammo to fire with. Hoping that is about to change.

My post was not directed at you.

I appreciate you posting the information.

CB, how about we wait to see what game plan we are going to implement during the season before you start your anti-run and carry campaign again?

Have Melbourne been using different tactics in the pre-season to those that will be used in the season proper?

We won't know until the real games start... you know, the ones where results actually matter.

I doubt very much that we're going to be playing in the exact same manner in which we were playing last season.

Have Melbourne been using different tactics in the pre-season to those that will be used in the season proper?

I think there are a number of factors that differ from the real season and pre-season.

I for one think the biggest is the atmosphere, the atmosphere at the grounds is a huge factor in players hunger to give 110% for all four quarters.

I dont know i might be fishing for positives but i wont criticize our team till i see a few games in the regular season.

We have fresh new faces at our club, we have a new logo, we soon will have a new CEO that is one of the most important at any football club, i understand turn-arounds do not just happen over night, but i feel our club has done a great job in the pre-season to give us that new fresh start that we desperately needed, but i also have in the back of my mind that anything is possible in football and a week is a long time in football where a turn-around in performance can happen.

I dont know about anyone else but i am VERY excited for Round 1 and cant wait to stick with the club through thick and thin. Thats what all supporters should do.

The preseason games are nothing more than elevated fitness sessions. As someone who has done a few preseasons here and there, there is no attention to the 1 per centers in NAB games that matter during the season proper. Its not something that is talked about, but it happens. Just ask Paul Roos.

Every player is just trying to build up fitness without injurying themselves.

As our injury list was huge last year, a lot of guys are going half arsed now on areas other than fitness so they can be firing by round 4-5 without risk. Nothing worse than doing a Walker and missing half a year because you busted your gut in March.

The preseason games are nothing more than elevated fitness sessions. As someone who has done a few preseasons here and there, there is no attention to the 1 per centers in NAB games that matter during the season proper. Its not something that is talked about, but it happens. Just ask Paul Roos.

Every player is just trying to build up fitness without injurying themselves.

As our injury list was huge last year, a lot of guys are going half arsed now on areas other than fitness so they can be firing by round 4-5 without risk. Nothing worse than doing a Walker and missing half a year because you busted your gut in March.

But surely teams can't just expect to turn it on come Round 1?

But surely teams can't just expect to turn it on come Round 1?

Probably not.

Its a pipedream to think that DB can come in with a new coaching team and a new game plan with many players having interrupted pre season and expect it will run like a well oiled machine from Round 1. Ross Lyon is as an example.

And its equally ridiculous to throw the book at DB's game plan at this juncture.

There might be more pain in the short term as players learn and commit to the game plan.

DB is no fool and would know that from what he has seen in the practice matches and takes into account the key players missing from the team.

I think there are a number of factors that differ from the real season and pre-season.

I for one think the biggest is the atmosphere, the atmosphere at the grounds is a huge factor in players hunger to give 110% for all four quarters.

If that's the case, then the same applies to our opposition. In all our preseason games to date, the opposition have played in a more cohesive fashion, hence we've been belted.

Don't use injuries as an excuse, because our performance against Geelong with a bunch of kids was no worse than our performance against North, with close to a full strength team. As for fitness levels, we've been in training for a month longer than Geelong and North Melbourne.

I don't expect to turn things around come the season proper, but I won't be critical of DB. He's got alot of work to do.

Its pretty easy for outsiders to bag us..hell we do half the work for them..lol.. but seriously we arent exactly a club without problems. And we know this. We're actually trying to remedy as many as we can, as quick as we can. It's also very easy for the media to sensationalise things. "Melbourne in turmoil" "Dees in Crisis!!" etc etc etc. Its easy to look at some glaringly obvious truth and then colour it to suit an agenda or a preconception. We dont have a CEO..really.. big news huh !! Apparently we just woke up one mornig and he was missing ?? lol. No.. we knew one was going and immediately set in action a plan to get another.

This procedure mirrors exactly our approach to a new Coach. we got one..seems a pretty fair get ,but time will tell I suppose. Point being.. it wasnt hurried.. wasnt rushed.. wasnt compromised. To some degree we were able to control the thing as are we with the CEO. A new support was built arround the new footy dept with some ( I think ) very good pick ups.. Connolly.. Wellman.. Mahoney adding to Williams.. and then there's the players.

without reeling off name after name we are all pretty familia with some of the talent sitting in waiting to take the club forward..

Ahhhhhh..... FORWARD... I think this is where many of us have very different views as to what may or may not be accomplished..and in what kind of time frame.

Lets be realistic here ..truly realistic. We have all but a completely new football dept. we have 25% different players now than this time last year. There is a very real likely hood that another 20-25 % will turn over at the end of this year.. whether its from attrition, delisiting, trading or whatever. Its a reasonable thing to say that inside of 12-13 months half the players will have changed to match the new boys in the back room.. Thats one hell of a major change.

Any company , business, association or club really has its work cut out to gell all that together and actually get anything happening' let alone a respectable result come seasons end.

Are we plummeting to new depths of oblivion ?? I very much doubt it. Are we sinking in a quagmire of our woes ? I dont think thats the case. Spot fires are presenting and being extinguished not simply by reaction but by pre-determined actions/fixing etc.

Do we have our work cut out to be a super competitive and relevent team in the comp ?? you bet; but Rome wasnt built in a day. Training problems are being overcome.. but its not here today..oh woe is us ?? Admin needs attention.. not completely a surprise...but thats in hand. Membership...a perennial bugger. I think we need to realise we probably will never have the number s of other clubs..we never have.. So plans to develope alternative streams wil need to be found. A woe ?? no..a real dillema ? Yes.. something to lose sleep over..? I wont.

I dont see this year so much as rebuilding.. again..my view is that the components are here...but we certainly need to refine and tune the machine..and that will again take time. at least this year.

I have some personal misgivings about how the club seems to go about some things..and Im not alone.. but I dont see it as any cause to abandon my team of 44 years..I'll just enjoy what wins we have and hopefully see a competitive team form. I dont expect miracles.. nor should you !!

GO DEES :)