Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Picks: 2,3, 9, plus two picks in the mid 20s

Grand New Flag

Hate to say it but on current form we have the second worst midfield and we are also the second worst team. I expect a bottom 3 finish with 17th place, our current position, the most likely.

Clearly we have a massive problem in the midfield and at clearances. In my opinion this is 90% of the reason we are so poor. My view is that all picks should be used on outside mids, pure mids, and small forwards. With the strength of the draft we should take all picks unless some other team is prepared to offer us a A grade midfielder under 23yo undervalue.

If Jack Viney has a good season we will end up with him for pick 2. If he has a disappointing season we will get him with our second round pick (mid 20s). This is determined by other clubs and is out of our control.

Regardless, there is still a massive opportunity for our club with these picks.

Guest José Mourinho

With a 17th place finish, you'd be looking at pick 2, 3 & 12 in the first round.

That's assuming the dogs miss finals.

We also need to hope Essendon don't make the finals, because then their 1st round pick allocated to Joe Daniher (F/S) will be taken before our mid-1st round pick.

Essentially meaning it'd be pick 11, as we could never take him anyway.

(If Essendon make finals, obviously another team would choose before that pick of ours, and would take a kid we might have our eyes on).

If we end up with pick 2, it won't matter what season Viney has, as, unless the number 1 pick holder bid for him, we will get to use our 2nd round pick for him.

As posted in a previous threda, if we end up finish 17th, we will have pick 2, 3, 12-ish, then our 2nd round pick will be Jack Viney.

If we end up with pick 2, it won't matter what season Viney has, as, unless the number 1 pick holder bid for him, we will get to use our 2nd round pick for him.

As posted in a previous threda, if we end up finish 17th, we will have pick 2, 3, 12-ish, then our 2nd round pick will be Jack Viney.

Although, am I true in assuming that the AFL has given itself supreme power to allocate priority picks to clubs? If that is the case if Gold Coast finish with less than 5 wins the AFL could try to ensure that the experiment up North works and give them the number one pick etc

Under current AFL rules, enacted from the 2012 season onwards, a club can receive a priority draft pick at the discretion of the AFL Commission. The Commission has flagged that a formula which will assist with determining whether or not a team receives a priority draft pick, and at which round in the draft that pick will be taken, is yet to be established, but that it will take into account quantitative measures, such as winning record and percentage over several seasons, and qualitative considerations such as a team's injury rate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priority_draft_pick

Although, am I true in assuming that the AFL has given itself supreme power to allocate priority picks to clubs? If that is the case if Gold Coast finish with less than 5 wins the AFL could try to ensure that the experiment up North works and give them the number one pick etc

Under current AFL rules, enacted from the 2012 season onwards, a club can receive a priority draft pick at the discretion of the AFL Commission. The Commission has flagged that a formula which will assist with determining whether or not a team receives a priority draft pick, and at which round in the draft that pick will be taken, is yet to be established, but that it will take into account quantitative measures, such as winning record and percentage over several seasons, and qualitative considerations such as a team's injury rate

http://en.wikipedia....rity_draft_pick

That's an interesting one. Given the drat compensation both GC and GWS have received in the past, who knows what way the AFL would go on this.

Guest José Mourinho

It's the AFL's call, not the clubs.

I know this, but I think the other clubs would protest.

There is no reasonable justification for it.

They have a team full of ridiculously high picks.

Like us, the issue won't be needing more picks, it'll be needing more mature heads.

I know this, but I think the other clubs would protest.

There is no reasonable justification for it.

They have a team full of ridiculously high picks.

Like us, the issue won't be needing more picks, it'll be needing more mature heads.

On another thread you stated its not beyond the realms of possibility for the unthinkable to happen in round 12.

The AFL will take into consideration the aspects as mentioned regardless of what club it is that falls in the category and regardless of apparent "bakes" and "placards" from opposing clubs.

It probably won't happen just like a 0-11 start mightn't. But I reckon it could be up for discussion if the worst case scenario comes to fruition.

Edit: I'm talking us btw , got my wires crossed.

Guest José Mourinho

Fair enough.

I don't expect GC to perform bad enough this year to make it reasonable.

It's based on the premise of GC getting less than 5 wins, and to me, that means 3 or 4.

I just can't see them getting less.

And I think with that many wins, they can't reasonably be given a priority pick.

Not this year anyway.

forget the draft...trade for ready made players before the club goes under.

If i was in charge i would offer big loads of cash to bring proven players to the club. Mitch Clark didn't want to come to Melbourne. his current body language and the fact he is in the leadership shows he likes the club. Whether you like his form or not...it was good get to convince a player. Now we need to repeat it.

times are desparate for melbourne. I would chase a few players...offer them a 2-3year deal on heaps of cash....I'd even give them a clause saying at the end...if unhappy at the club you will trade them to club of choice no questions asked. melbourne are desparate.

Fair enough.

I don't expect GC to perform bad enough this year to make it reasonable.

It's based on the premise of GC getting less than 5 wins, and to me, that means 3 or 4.

I just can't see them getting less.

And I think with that many wins, they can't reasonably be given a priority pick.

Not this year anyway.

See above edit.

I meant the MFC. Wires crossed.

If i was in charge i would offer big loads of cash to bring proven players to the club. Mitch Clark didn't want to come to Melbourne. his current body language and the fact he is in the leadership shows he likes the club. Whether you like his form or not...it was good get to convince a player. Now we need to repeat it.

times are desparate for melbourne. I would chase a few players...offer them a 2-3year deal on heaps of cash....I'd even give them a clause saying at the end...if unhappy at the club you will trade them to club of choice no questions asked. melbourne are desparate.

Of the same opinion DD. Let's assume we finish 3rd last and end up with picks 3 & 4, and GWS and GC (who would finish below us) don't bid for Viney with their pick 1 or 2, then we have picks 3 and 4 to use on any 2 players we want. If it cost Carlton pick 3 for Judd (and a bit of extra stuff), then who would we want to get should we wish to trade either of our pick 3 or 4? Nb. I wouldn't trade both picks, but I'd definitely throw one out there.

Guest José Mourinho

See above edit.

I meant the MFC. Wires crossed.

Oh, right... yeah, was a bit unsure where you were coming from.

If WE were to do that badly I still don't think we'd get a priority pick, because everyone knows we already have 2 compo picks in the draft.

To get pick 1, 3, 4 & 13.

That would be epic. And too much.

Guest José Mourinho

Fine, I don't disagree, but who would you trade for?

What realistic targets are out there?

Of the same opinion DD. Let's assume we finish 3rd last and end up with picks 3 & 4, and GWS and GC (who would finish below us) don't bid for Viney with their pick 1 or 2, then we have picks 3 and 4 to use on any 2 players we want. If it cost Carlton pick 3 for Judd (and a bit of extra stuff), then who would we want to get should we wish to trade either of our pick 3 or 4? Nb. I wouldn't trade both picks, but I'd definitely throw one out there.

Players up for trade won't be known for some time.

Due to free agency this coming trade period is three weeks (from what i've read). We have a strong position. We need to build on it.

Someone like Josh Kennedy from the swans is who I'd like. He could win the brownlow this year.

Players up for trade won't be known for some time.

Due to free agency this coming trade period is three weeks (from what i've read). We have a strong position. We need to build on it.

Someone like Josh Kennedy from the swans is who I'd like. He could win the brownlow this year.

If we are going to spend pick 3 or 4, I want an A grade midfielder. Have to look at the teams where we are likely to get one from in terms of where that team is at. The other option is an interstate team with a Victorian playing for them. But, the type of player I'm looking at are the likes of Gibbs/Judd/Murphy (all highly unlikely to leave given where Carlotn are at), Pendlebury/Swan (SP just signed a new contract, Swan wants to retire soon(?)), Ablett (would the AFL let him leave?), Bartel (would he leave Geelong? Maybe). I want an established star, not a potential.

If we are going to spend pick 3 or 4, I want an A grade midfielder. Have to look at the teams where we are likely to get one from in terms of where that team is at. The other option is an interstate team with a Victorian playing for them. But, the type of player I'm looking at are the likes of Gibbs/Judd/Murphy (all highly unlikely to leave given where Carlotn are at), Pendlebury/Swan (SP just signed a new contract, Swan wants to retire soon(?)), Ablett (would the AFL let him leave?), Bartel (would he leave Geelong? Maybe). I want an established star, not a potential.

Goddard is realistic. we give our scully compo to the saints.

I just hope we dont become like Port and be a team that every player resists going to at all costs - be it trade or draft. I remember reading how Luke Ball would have sooner take a season off than play for the Dees... :(

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

I just hope we dont become like Port and be a team that every player resists going to at all costs - be it trade or draft. I remember reading how Luke Ball would have sooner take a season off than play for the Dees... :(

Mark Neeld was Luke Balls coach last year.

I don't think it matters where we finish, unless it's last we will have to use our first pick on Viney, due to being obligated to take him and other clubs knowing this. Great move!

Guest Dr Who
Regardless, there is still a massive opportunity for our club with these picks.

Although they bring hope until we change our thinking & culture - the facts say they dont bring success in modern day football unless you are prepared to invest heavily over the log-term in development & structures, essentially your football department.

Of-course I hope we can buck the trend but I fear the consequences if we dont.

I don't think it matters where we finish, unless it's last we will have to use our first pick on Viney, due to being obligated to take him and other clubs knowing this. Great move!

Sloonie, are you really sure that's the case? So, if we decide to take garry Lyon's son, who, in all due respect to the kid, is a muppet on the footy field, we have to take him with our first round pick? Even though no other team wants him, and we could've picked him with our 5th rounder?

Again, for the umpteenth time, we have to use our first draft pick AFTER the team that bids to draft Viney. That means, if we finish 3rd last, and GC and GWS are below us, if they don't bid for him, we DON'T have to use our pick 3. If no Club bids for him, we can pick him up with our last pick (not likely to happen).

We need to hope (?) that the teams below us don't bid to pick him up with their first pick, otherwise that will force us to pick him up with our first pick.

It's not that difficult.