Stage 17 ... live coverage from the official site

Jean Francois Pescheux's view ... 32km can be a lot different to 33...

The second individual time trial this year comes as early as stage 17 and it's hilly, hard, and particularly technical. But still Froome is the rider expected to excel. Add to the fact that the weather bureau has forecast rain for the final Wednesday of the 100th Tour also makes a big difference.

Map of the course, video and preview

PROFIL.png

Maybe the rarefied atmosphere of the alps explains P & P's form?

I guess it may come down to penalty? What is the penalty for contravening these rules and will it make any difference to the standings? It may just be a monetary fine and have no bearing on the results. But a follow up from the commentators/journos would have been nice.

I think the sleep deprivation is starting to get to me. At least I thought it was when I saw an ad during the telecast.

Is it just me, or is that a peculiar ad?

Contador looked strong last night, I guess he's just got to keep pushing Froome to see if he will crack. Makes for an interesting few stages coming up.

Hahha dont know how many times I have seen that ad and thought WTF! Gaysus I am sick to death of that shonky suppliments company ad's......

Stage 18 (part 1 of the 'Trilogy of Terror') ... live coverage from the official site

Jean Francois Pescheux's view ... The answer? 42!

Anyone who knows anything about the Tour de France recognises that this climb is one that ignites the passions of the fans perhaps more than any other. It is the site of the first mountain top finish of the race and it is destined to have a significant impact on the race.

When Alpe d'Huez was the final climb of a short stage in 2011, it was Contador who was on the attack early but his rivals had the answer and the Spaniard's gains were minimal. Two years later, his rivals have changed but his approach will be the same: attack and challenge, be daring and bold. And maybe, just maybe, Froome will fold.

Map of the course and video preview

Thought I'd put the profiles of the next 3 stages up to give an idea of what's in store for the riders (and the fans) There are a total of 8 difficult climbs (6 long and 2 of a shorter distance) over the 3 days and each climb could be viewed as a 'mini stage'. There can be no faltering by the cyclists in contention and indeed any number of the GC riders can have a big day and gain lots of time on their rivals.

Chris Froome will need to be at his best over the course of the next 3 days and he will need the support of his team (mainly Porte it can be supposed) Look for lots of random attacks ... bring it on ... 'The Trilogy of Terror'

PROFIL.png

PROFIL.pngPROFIL.png

I think the French have gone a bit bonkers on this stage. Going up the same hill twice? They're trying to kill the riders.

It'll be interesting to see if there's any rain for this stage, in particular for the descent, could make it quite treacherous.

Cards, I think Cadel was taking it easy last night. He's out of GC contention, the course was still wet when he headed out, so there was really no chance of him winning. I hope it means he pushes for a stage win in the next few days. Porte was another that seemed to be taking it easy (although he wasn't as far off the pace as Cadel).

I think the French have gone a bit bonkers on this stage. Going up the same hill twice? They're trying to kill the riders.

It'll be interesting to see if there's any rain for this stage, in particular for the descent, could make it quite treacherous.

Cards, I think Cadel was taking it easy last night. He's out of GC contention, the course was still wet when he headed out, so there was really no chance of him winning. I hope it means he pushes for a stage win in the next few days. Porte was another that seemed to be taking it easy (although he wasn't as far off the pace as Cadel).

I can remember the tour finishing off with 2 very tough stages in the past but never 3. I seem to remember the last 4 days generally consisting of 2 tough stages in the Alps followed by a tricky 'flat' stage and then the final stage into Paris.

If I'm right then this is a bit of unknown territory for the cyclists. The Colombian Quintana and of course Contador come into proceedings. Kreuziger and Mollema are within striking distance.

If Froome does win the tour he will have really earned it. By the end of the next 3 days we'll either be singing his praises or perhaps questioning him or his team. For what it's worth I reckon he'll hang on but wouldn't be surprised if he gets caught (how's that for your quintessential 2 bob each way!)

JJ taking it easy and finishinga hilly TY behind Cav is too far haha.

Macca I just can't see Froome losing, he is easily the best climber this Tour, Cont is "not the same" as a few years ago and still not 100%, and the little Quint is still too young.

So excited for next few nights.

What a great stage!!!! 2 trips up the mountain fark me! What a great finish with Riblon finding his legs again and grabbing TVG. Just amazing what athletes these guys are. Cadel has dropped his bundle mentally which is really sad to see. Tejay VG was epic but just couldn't get over the line after his bike issue on the drop down. Ritchie Porte what a ride, dragging Froome across the top on the 2nd trip up, waiting to see if the organisers get into Sky for clearly breaching the rules with Froome having a top up when he cracked. It will be [censored] weak for sure, all of the other teams follow the rules but not Sky. If I was on Saxo or BMC I would just had feed bags and top ups every 2ks in the last 10 from now on.

The little Q is going to be a GC winner for years once he matures a little bit more. If he can improve his TT especially.

What a stage. Froome showing signs of being human, started to crack on the final ascent. Where would he be without Porte? Quintana into 3rd, not far behind Contador now.

Aussie rider Adam Hansen enjoys a donated beer.

750050-adam-hansen-has-a-beer.jpg

Priceless!

• Like 2

Ritchie Porte what a ride, dragging Froome across the top on the 2nd trip up, waiting to see if the organisers get into Sky for clearly breaching the rules with Froome having a top up when he cracked. It will be [censored] weak for sure, all of the other teams follow the rules but not Sky.

It was weak. A 20 second penalty. There is mention of them having trouble getting their car within reach of the riders due to the crowd, so there is a bit of a grey area.

Well, Froome wasn't at his absolute best and at one stage he looked liked he might lose a bit of time. In the end he gained nearly a minute on Contador! Great viewing last night and Quintana could provide more than nuisance value over the next 2 nights. Will be fascinating to see how Porte goes tonight. He was great last night but if we remember back to the 2nd day in the Pyrenees as an example, he may have spent all his petrol tickets again ..... maybe ^_^

Stage 19 ... live coverage from the official site

Jean Francois Pescheux's view ... Is this the stage when a white jersey gets some red dots?

The finish in Le Grand Bornand may not be at the top of a mountain but this is arguably the toughest stage of the 2013 race. Up, down, up, down... repeat. Over the col du Glandon, the col de la Madeleine and onward to three nasty climbs inside the final 60km.

Once again it will be a test of every element of a cyclist: stamina, climbing ability, bike handling, team support and composure. Stage 19 has a little bit of everything for the fans and for the overall favourites... but there are others who will be just happy to reach the finish. Paris is almost on the horizon but first there are a few mountain passes to overcome.

Map of the course and video preview

Not only is this a really tough stage but it's a long one time wise (according to the time schedules) The stage kicks off at 7pm and will finish at around about 1.00am. By the time the cyclists get to the start of the climb to the 'Col de la Croix Fry', there will be some very tired legs.

I'm expecting a few surprises. That includes Froome either tracking every other contender, perhaps faltering or making a break of his own. Quintana and Contador would be expected to make their attacks again. Literally anything could happen.

PROFIL.png

Edited by Macca

!!!! It is just insane! Another killer day. The Madeline is bad enough on its own.

Incredible isn't it. On it's own, this stage is like a stand alone event. Never mind that they've just completed 18 stages and have another tough day tomorrow.

If anything really dramatic is going to happen, it may happen tonight. Porte in a lot of ways remains the key. If Froome is left on his own, he might crack. I understand that it's unlikely and if it was a few other past cyclists having such an unassailable lead, I'd probably be calling it now.

Just got a feeling that there is a twist in the tail (that may happen tomorrow night by the way)

Even though there was some heavy rain in the Alps, it was a fairly uneventful stage in a lot of ways (in terms of the GC classification) A little disappointing but the school of thought was that yesterday's stage (stage 18) took a lot out of the cyclists.

Here's an audio podcast (6 minutes) of the stage with references to the stage being "Too much for everybody and so they don't play" ... Froome maintains advantage

For a comprehensive summary ... Costa: up, down... and onward to victory (again)!

There wasn't the same sort of aggressive descending that we saw at the end of stage 16. Froome followed the other GC riders to the finish, was 25th in the stage... and now he has one more day to cope with before the parade to Paris...

Well the Tour is as good as over you'd reckon. Podium places are up for grabs and Quintana is almost sure to attack to gain outright 2nd spot. That would then make for an interesting stage tonight. All Froome has to do is track them in a reasonable fashion and he'll be the 'Tour de France' winner. They might still make him work for it.

Stage 20 ... live coverage from the official site

Jean Francois Pescheux's view ... One last throw of the dice

And there are likely to be a few minor changes to a range of classifications. But it would take a strange twist of fate for the the 5'11” deficit that Alberto Contador has on Froome to shrink enough for the Spaniard to wrestle the yellow jersey from the Brit. That, however, remains Saxo-Tinkoff's quest.

At 125 kilometres, the 20th stage promises to be compelling viewing even without the ambiguity that existed only a fortnight ago.

Preview video and map of the course

PROFIL.png

Quintana wins stage 20! He claims 2nd overall along with the 'King of the Mountain' and the 'Best young rider'. Top performance. Rodriguez came 2nd in the stage to claim 3rd overall whilst Froome marked both riders to finish 3rd in the stage.

Here's an audio podcast (10 mins) of last nights stage ... Froome all but secures the title

For a comprehensive summary ... Quintana's coup... the arrival of a climbing king!

The key points from the final climb included the fact that Alberto Contador was unable to follow the accelerations made by Quintana, Froome and Joaquim Rodriguez. The Spaniard had words with Quintana and Froome and seemed to suggest, 'Follow me, I'll take you to the top... and then you guys can do what you want - but I'd like a place on the podium.' Once inside the final kilometre, the brief allegiance was broken and it was each man for himself.

And Froome? Well, he has said all along that stage wins weren't his priority - he collected three along the way but they are just collateral extras. He wanted the yellow jersey. He's got the yellow jersey. He has an advantage of over five minutes and, from Sunday evening onward, he will be known as 'The Winner of the 100th Tour.'

• Like 1

Was over before it started, Sky and Froome worked hard to develop a great squad and a great way to win, the constant cadence just turning over especially up the climbs. The Sky squad with Thomas riding with a cracked hip, Ritchie Porte besides one bad day was epic. Froome was clearly the best rider over the 3 weeks, head and shoulders above the rest, congratulations to a deserved winner.

The little Q wow!! He is going to be a super star maybe as early as next year but definitely 2-3 years from now. Would not be surprised if he wins a number of Tour titles on this years performance.

Cadel, well what can you say but he looks done. I hope he has one more Tour in him and can show people the great rider he is as this year was not him.

BMC clearly a fractured, disjointed team where you can imagine massive changes for next years Tour.

Will be interesting to see if Wiggo gets his hunger back after seeing Froome win, and if he stays with Sky as others are sniffing around like OGE.

Overall hoping next year is a little tighter, but what a gruelling Tour this year and it was great to watch almost all of it.

• Like 2

The last day ... Versailles / Paris Champs-Élysées. The stage begins at about 1.45am and finishes at about 5.30am (our time)

Stage 21 ... live coverage from the official site

Jean Francois Pescheux's view ... Froome waits for his crown on a night for the sprinters

The 100th Tour de France requires a fitting finale and the city of lights will be lit up for an evening showdown for the sprinters for a stage that begins at 5.45pm and is expected to conclude at around 9.30pm (that's a 1.45am start and 5.30am finish ... our time) The race from Versailles to Paris is 133.5km long and features 10 laps of a circuit up and down the Champs-Elysées. The traditional circuit features an innovation never before done since the race first concluded on this famous avenue in 1975: instead of turning in front of the Arc de Triomphe, the peloton will race around the Place de Etoile.
The winners of the sprint stages in 2013 are: Marcel Kittel, Simon Gerrans, André Greipel, Peter Sagan and Cavendish... they are all still in the race. Just because ‘Cav' has won the final stage so often, it doesn't mean the others will hand it to him without a challenge – but it would be hard to nominate a greater favourite.

Preview video and map of the course

PROFIL.png

• Like 1

Great thread and a great tour. Well done everyone and well done Froome, a deserved winner.

Richie Porte was a rock for Froome. Our next big hope?

The highlight for me was definitely Quintana. He was probably fortunate that Valverde was a victim of the crosswinds early in the tour as it meant that he basically had the entire support of team Movistar. But you could see Quintana learning as he went, was in a few breakaways and jumped too early on a few of the hills. Showed a lot of maturity on the last stage to take the win. He's going to be someone to watch for many years to come.

I know we're all disappointed with Cadel, but before we right him off let's remember that he came 3rd in the Giro 6 odd weeks ago. I think he's still got some decent performances in him.

Viva le Tour

• Like 2

An audio podcast from the final day ... Chris Froome is crowned champion

For a comprehensive summary ... Froome: champion of the 100th Tour!

Christopher Froome was the dominant force in the 100th Tour de France and even though he lost 53 seconds to the winner of the final stage and 43 seconds to his nearest rival in the general classification, the Sky team sealed its second successive victory in the Tour de France at the end of the evening spectacle on the streets of Paris.

The finish was around 9.40pm in the city of lights and the stars came out to shine: the four at the top of the sprinters classification had a drag race to the line to determine the winner of the 21st stage and it was Marcel Kittel who began the Tour as he started it - with a victory. The German won in Bastia, St-Malo and Tours (stages one, 10 and 12) and he topped off a stunning second appearance by holding off a late challenge from the four-time winner in Paris, Mark Cavendish. Behind the battle of the sprinters, the celebrations had begun.

Congratulations to Chris Froome .. a worthy winner and just far too good for his rivals. It's been another fantastic tour. Marcel Kittel, Peter Sagan and Nairo Quintana also excelled during the great race. Fabulous viewing.

Chris_Froome2-1200.jpg

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

And don't forget, the Tour of Spain is coming up next month.

Ha! Is it being broadcast on the net or on Eurosport?

Was trying to find an image of Froome with the actual Tour de France trophy but had no luck.