NFL

Dappa Dan

Pretty impressive by Bears.... even with all the penalties helping them.

Despite a huge play taken off us after a challenge earlier in the game. So we deserved some luck. Hate when it turns in to flag football but so many times it's the players doing silly things.

Cutler was good (or very good) Cutler in the second half. Kap was very bad Kap in the second half. He runs way too often and must not trust his receivers. I mean with Boldin just throw it up to him and he's good for a few catches a game even when he's not open.

And Willie Young looks a huge free agent bargain. Thank you Detroit.

3 of our starting defense injured though. Our best special teamer and a back up defender. So 5 injuries to add to 2 OL and 2 WR's from last week (both who played and put in amazing efforts).

When you look at injuries across the league you have to wonder if by playoffs there will be any good players left.

Cousins should be a starting QB in the NFL. He is no Brady but he can throw. Vikes had no chance throwing 4 picks and having a blocked FG going for a TD. I'm not beating the bring on bridgewater drums yet but I have dusted them off. Cassel will start next week. Geno just couldn't kill off the packers he had his chances though. Saints are 0-2 and Carolina are 2-0. Surely the saints will catch up. The biggest story for me is the bills. 2-0 I would not have picked that. EJ Manuel looked like he had no rythm coming into the season but they are undefeated. Anything is possible go bills.

Actually think is very Brady...at least the story anyway.

Michigan v Michigan State. Late v Late-ish pick. Both backups. Both physically unremarkable. Don't have big arms, don't have great athleticism. Both have classic white QB names! Both getting their shot to start post injury to the starter.

Any crack in that ankle (which there is most times in a dislocation) and it's season over for RGIII. Then Washington will have a hell of a choice if Cousins plays well. Wouldn't it be hilarious if Washington ended up keeping Cousins and then traded RG3 to the Rams where he got back on track and the Rams had their cake and ate it too in terms of the RG3 mega trade

When you look at injuries across the league you have to wonder if by playoffs there will be any good players left.

Lol. yup.

About Kap, I can never bring myself to put him in my top 5, and sometimes top 10... But if that's a BAD game? Then you're doing ok. He makes plays... a LOT.

Lol. yup.

About Kap, I can never bring myself to put him in my top 5, and sometimes top 10... But if that's a BAD game? Then you're doing ok. He makes plays... a LOT.

3 INTs and lost fumble. The first half turnovers you might be able to cop. You've got a lead and are trying to break the opposition. But with the game on the line he scrambles and makes 2 more bad INTs. You need to make a huge amount of plays to justify that. Andrew Luck makes his share of turnovers, but more times than not the longer the game goes the more he makes plays instead of mistakes.

Rogers, Manning, Brady, Brees

Wilson, Luck

Ryan, Flacco, Rivers, Newton*, Big Ben*

He's never top 5 and he's not in my top 10. Although the gap between the bottom 4 or 5 of that lot and the next 5-10 QB's isn't really that much. It's a lot about having the defense, special teams and surrounding talent to make the QB's job easier. Stafford, Foles, Cutler, Romo, Dalton, Smith, even Eli if the giants put some talent back around him, they are the guys I'd have on the same level as Kap. Of course I'd take Kap over most of them because he's got the physical talent and is younger and cheaper, but it doesn't mean he's any better than them at this stage.

Actually think is very Brady...at least the story anyway.

Michigan v Michigan State. Late v Late-ish pick. Both backups. Both physically unremarkable. Don't have big arms, don't have great athleticism. Both have classic white QB names! Both getting their shot to start post injury to the starter.

Any crack in that ankle (which there is most times in a dislocation) and it's season over for RGIII. Then Washington will have a hell of a choice if Cousins plays well. Wouldn't it be hilarious if Washington ended up keeping Cousins and then traded RG3 to the Rams where he got back on track and the Rams had their cake and ate it too in terms of the RG3 mega trade

RG3 is interesting. He and the Skins need to own up to totally stuffing him up last year. He shouldn't have come back so early from his knee and last year was a waste, The only good thing from last year was the first round pick that went to the Rams. Now there is talk of him wanting to be a pocket passer to preserve his body but we all know he opens up the secondary when the threat of him running is always a chance.

RG3 is interesting. He and the Skins need to own up to totally stuffing him up last year. He shouldn't have come back so early from his knee and last year was a waste, The only good thing from last year was the first round pick that went to the Rams. Now there is talk of him wanting to be a pocket passer to preserve his body but we all know he opens up the secondary when the threat of him running is always a chance.

Yeah it's crazy. Overall he'll get hurt more taking sacks in the pocket than he will running I think but low and behold he gets hurt running today even though he was untouched at the time.

He'll miss significant time now and this time next year could be traded to a new team. His rookie season was so good it seems such a shame.

3 INTs and lost fumble. The first half turnovers you might be able to cop. You've got a lead and are trying to break the opposition. But with the game on the line he scrambles and makes 2 more bad INTs. You need to make a huge amount of plays to justify that. Andrew Luck makes his share of turnovers, but more times than not the longer the game goes the more he makes plays instead of mistakes.

I stand corrected on Kap. I do see, though, a lot of games where guys make big old screw ups, Favre-like, and somehow still win. Still take the game on. You may be right about him being out of the top 5... That's exalted company. But Kap really does strike fear into fans' hearts, I reckon. But there again, I spose that's true of more than 50% of starting QBs, allowing for coaches, systems, OLs etc...

He sure as hell aint no pocket passer. Not in this league. He could learn over the space of years, and with a good coach etc... but a huge part of his gifts has to do with mobility and instinct. If you talk pure pocket though, there's a lot of second rate QBs who will NEVER play a season as good as his rookie season, that are better players than him in the pocket.

I stand corrected on Kap. I do see, though, a lot of games where guys make big old screw ups, Favre-like, and somehow still win. Still take the game on. You may be right about him being out of the top 5... That's exalted company. But Kap really does strike fear into fans' hearts, I reckon. But there again, I spose that's true of more than 50% of starting QBs, allowing for coaches, systems, OLs etc...

I guess that's the thing. Favre got the job done. I can see Luck becoming that type of player if he isn't already. But for Kap the two biggest games of his career so far - the Superbowl and the NFC championship last year Kap had a chance to make the big play and he didn't. Now he's won a whole bunch of big games - including shredding Green Bay a couple of times but he's now had a couple of chances with the game in his hands and failed.

Then the other thing is he makes one read that's about it. If his designated receiver isn't open he takes off to run. Has to go through his reads if he's to become a great.

Re SNF ...

Kaepernick didn't have his best night ... the 49ers seemed to be off their game whilst the Chicago D was very good. The game was mainly decided by the 3 interceptions gained by Chicago and there were penalties galore in an ugly game. Because of that, it's hard to draw a line through the game. Cutler was good though - stepped it up and credit to him. The niners ran the ball 3 times from 5 yards out at one stage and I found that to be a bit baffling. As expected the Bears are 1/1 but they've done it in an opposite way to how most would have thought. Maybe Buffalo are decent?

The NFC North is certainly up for grabs with my Packers winning ugly and we certainly need to get our game together. Rodgers & Nelson had big games but not much else to report. Detroit did as expected - failed miserably in a big game. I can see 9 wins being enough to win the NFC North - all the teams have a reasonably tough schedule and there's no standout team (at this stage) Divisional games will almost certainly decide things.

A few other surprise results with the big one being the Chargers win (and Seattle losing) & the Browns defeating the Saints ... both results destroyed any chances of anyone picking up the points in the tipping comp - whooda thunk-it. All 9 of us are still on zero points - happy days ^_^

KC had their chances & the Bills might be a playoff chance.

Arizona could challenge for the NFC West and Dallas had a surprise win (8/8?)

Cinci & the Panthers look like being challengers again and the Ravens looked good last Friday.

The Rams got on the board and Houston are another 2/0 team.

The RG3 injury looked awful and he might end up missing the rest of the season if he needs surgery - he can't take a trick.

Well after watching the Rams game I need to say "STOP WITH THE STUPID PENALTIES AND TACKLE FFS!"

our D which should be our big strength is doing quite poorly so far.

The way we won this game was Davis's first start was great, played a safe first half and more daring second on offence, Stacy is fast becoming one of my fav backs, may even match Bettis in my eyes.

Quick played a great game again and has sure hands, Pettis after nothing last week was excellent, so two WR doing very well.

Austin getting injured hurts but hopefully not too bad.

Special teams blocking a punt and a field goal was amazing, both blocked by the same player = insane!

I felt a little flat that the game ended after a big pass to the Buccs that got them to their 30ish but the player who caught it got injured and with 8 secs to go and no time outs, run 10 secs off, game over.

Happy to win tho :)

Gees the saints have been pretty average in there 2 games... To lose 2 games the way they have isn't great. Pretty happy though it has opened up the NFC south division a litte bit... Cowboyfromhell Hopefully your boys can knock the saints off this week and really put the heat on them. As for the falcons, pretty dissapointing effort, always going to be tough on the road against the bengals but when green goes down early and Marvin jones out would have thought we'd put a better effort. Matt Ryan was nowhere near the previous weeks game. Big division game on TNF, got Friday off work so looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Just read that Hill will return as starter over Davis after injury (possibly this week).

I don't agree with this, watching I felt calm when Davis threw the ball. Had great pocket sense and took hits to ensure good throws. Completed 22/26 iirc and over 200 yards. No interceptions.

This is the kid who beat Favre's record for most TD passes in his freshman year at Southern Miss.

Go with the kid!!!

Eagles:

Noones ever come back from 14 don back to back in first two weeks of a season.

Beating the Colts in Colts land... Are they the real deal? What say you demonland?

Not that fussed about the stat. Probably exists because not many teams go 14 down at home against Jacksonville.

But a really good win tonight even if it was a tad lucky. Think your defense is a little more resilient than it has been and we know about the big play potential of the offense particularly with Sproles now in.

Wouldn't say you are the real deal (in terms of winning a superbowl) as I think the defense is still not at the elite level needed to win a superbowl and I think your offense are limited by Foles and limited without a standout receiver. Growth from Foles, growth from Ertz and Matthews should see the offense get to the top level and then it's whether you develop a defense.

Where you are is so well placed to win the NFL East and make a playoff run. Whilst you might not go deep this year with the way the NFC East is looking there's no reason you can't keep winning it for a few years now.

The best thing I think about Chip Kelly isn't his fast paced game plan. I think it's that he gets building a team and building for a championship. He's interest in building his defense. He's the first coach in the NFL to really embrace AFL style sports science and training methods.

Not that fussed about the stat. Probably exists because not many teams go 14 down at home against Jacksonville.

The best thing I think about Chip Kelly isn't his fast paced game plan. I think it's that he gets building a team and building for a championship. He's interest in building his defense. He's the first coach in the NFL to really embrace AFL style sports science and training methods.

I don't understand what you mean about Jacksonville? The stat counts for everyone regardless of teams. Not an important stat, I'll grant you... but still a bit of fun.

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of what you said, but the above is dead on. I think everyone likes a coach who makes good gameday calls. Chip's only ok in this regard. Makes one ugly one for every 2 good ones... but more importantly he puts together a team and then coaches to their strengths. He won't pick up a player that will fit HIS offense. He does it the other way round. The good thing about that is how you can lose players each year, like the Eagles did, and it doesn't matter so much. And the fact that he wins games all the time with pretty much a no-name offense and defense, besides McCoy speaks to the fact his plans are working.

Most importantly though, as you say, he has the development thing down. There's players who were a bit of a question mark, and they've improved. Pretty much everywhere. It makes you think he won't need to make it every year to keep his job. That's important in the what have you done for me lately league...

I think most Eagles fans are confused about what he is, but this year will be disappointed to not win a playoff. I think that's fair.

Does anyone know if/have put a multi on at the TAB including all the division winners ?

I have a feeling you can't because I just multied up all the favorites for odds of 65-1... Even if you left some 50/50 ones out you could get odds of 10-1...

Edited by JV7

I don't know betting very well, but I'd be interested in that.

Yeah I know in some sports you can't multi certaint markets into each other.. Seems ridiculous you could get 65-1 odds of the favourites winning there division.. Guess I'll duck into a tab one day soon and try