Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NFL

Dappa Dan

I can't believe some were saying the packers were done and the NFC was to be competed by the 49ers and Bears. Talk about Jumping to a quick conclusion. Question is Macca can your cheese heads keep up that defence every week? If they can you are on a good thing. I think they learnt from last year that they can't keep relying to win with just an offence.

Well , we recruited 6 defenders with our first 6 draft picks in the off season . So we're being proactive and recognize that it's a definite weakness . Stung into action after last week as well .

Woodson and Matthews have always been decent players but last years defensive stats were damning . Today was a big step in the right direction . Just always good to win over Chicago . Big rival . Obviously , your blokes are a divisional rival as well but Peterson is a great player to watch .

About the only teams I have a dislike for are the Cowboys and the Jets . Though , strangely enough , both those teams are very interesting to watch in action (for different reasons) . I also find Rex Ryan entertaining and Sanchez and Romo can both play . Dallas' Rob Ryan seems to get more of the camera than their head coach (Garrett)

Anyway , the Pack were terrific today and we're taking it one week at a time :)

Edited by Macca

As good as Packer's defence was that Chicago offensive line is terrible and has been for a while. Feel sorry for Cutler back there Clay Matthews was practically unblocked that whole first quarter and then they over adjusted for his pass rush and everyone else was getting a shot at Cutler. With Rodgers still failing to find any of his 2011 regular season form, yesterday's performance did nothing to show they are better than 49ers, falcons, cowboys or the giants.

As good as Packer's defence was that Chicago offensive line is terrible and has been for a while. Feel sorry for Cutler back there Clay Matthews was practically unblocked that whole first quarter and then they over adjusted for his pass rush and everyone else was getting a shot at Cutler. With Rodgers still failing to find any of his 2011 regular season form, yesterday's performance did nothing to show they are better than 49ers, falcons, cowboys or the giants.

And you follow the Rams yeah ? You're hardly in a position of strength .

Your team won 2 games last season - 2 . Bit like a GWS fan having a go at a Sydney fan . Your 'lot' need to just have a winning season . That would be a good start .

What the hell have the Falcons and Cowboys done lately to impress you so much ? Some real data to back up your comments please . You know , playoff wins etc etc .

And you follow the Rams yeah ? You're hardly in a position of strength .

Your team won 2 games last season - 2 . Bit like a GWS fan having a go at a Sydney fan . Your 'lot' need to just have a winning season . That would be a good start .

What the hell have the Falcons and Cowboys done lately to impress you so much ? Some real data to back up your comments please . You know , playoff wins etc etc .

Jeez that's a poor post, so as Melbourne fans because the team we support didn't win any games that therefor means we aren't allowed to pass judgement on any other teams who are higher on the ladder? Okay then I'll remember that...

Supporting a team that hasn't won any games probably puts me in a better position than you, as I can look at teams without bias and determine who is in better form as opposed to my judgement being clouded by personal bias.

Well Packers, Cowboys and the Falcons all won the same amount of playoff games last year so not sure how that is relevant. As it is so early in the season and the sample data is so small stats are practically irrelevant but I present you with this little zinger. Last year Rodger's only had 2 games where is QB rating was below 100, this regular season he has yet to go above 100 with an average QB rating of 89.9 compared to Romo's 129.5 and Ryan's 136.6

Edited by New Age Hipster
  • Like 1

Well Packers, Cowboys and the Falcons all one the same amount of playoff games last year so not sure how that is relevant. As it is so early in the season and the sample data is so small stats are practically irrelevant but I present you with this little zinger. Last year Rodger's only had 2 games where is QB rating was below 100, this regular season he has yet to go above 100 with an average QB rating of 89.9 compared to Romo's 129.5 and Ryan's 136.6

Your form line is way too recent . We're not on the same page and I doubt we'll get there either .

Are you totally new to 'land ? Or have you you been here before under another guise ?

The cowboys are the most over rated team in the league. Because of their owner they get talked up every year. The Jets are always entertaining off the field. It's either one extreme or the other with them. That's why I respect the Giants so much. Teams like the Jets and Cowboys get all the attention and the giants just float along with an ok record then hit form at the right time. I must say Macca I really don't like the Packers. I respect them being from such a small market and what they achieve every year. I don't like them cause they are always better then my Vikes. We could never get past you blokes in the NFC Divisional games.

The cowboys are the most over rated team in the league. Because of their owner they get talked up every year. The Jets are always entertaining off the field. It's either one extreme or the other with them. That's why I respect the Giants so much. Teams like the Jets and Cowboys get all the attention and the giants just float along with an ok record then hit form at the right time. I must say Macca I really don't like the Packers. I respect them being from such a small market and what they achieve every year. I don't like them cause they are always better then my Vikes. We could never get past you blokes in the NFC Divisional games.

Yeah , it's interesting with rivalry's . Many Demon fans hate Collingwood but do they hate us the same way ? 'They' tend to hate everything that isn't Collingwood !

As much as I like the Packers , I really like the sport itself . Can watch just about any match-up with a great deal of interest (save end of season games that have no bearing on things)

I don't mind the Vikings at all . I didn't even seem to mind when Favre played 2 seasons there . Of course , that might all change in the future - esp if you pip us for a playoff spot :)

This thread (started by Dappa Dan) has been largely angst free . We don't wanna turn it into a bar room brawl . We all follow different teams but we're also all Melbourne fans . Nothing wrong with healthy debate and spirited conversation though !

I was pretty happy with the Packers yesterday but they're not perfect by any means . They were challenged after last weeks loss to the 49ers . The media and the general public were asking some serious questions and they answered in emphatic style IMO . I can understand some just wanting to point the finger at the Bears . In that situation it's probably just better to agree to disagree .

Your form line is way too recent . We're not on the same page and I doubt we'll get there either .

Are you totally new to 'land ? Or have you you been here before under another guise ?

What form do you want to look at then, the Preseason? Packers aren't taking any momentum into this season they were totally outclassed by Giants last post season, and it seems again any team that can bring solid pass rush will have this offence's measure. A Quarterback is only as good as his offensive line allows him to be.

Totally new mate

Yeah they certainly do get hyped up but the Cowboys play in arguably the toughest division in the league, and if not for some iffy defensive play calling by Rob Ryan last season against the Giants they hold on to win and the Superbowl champions don't even make the playoffs! They also have, I believe, one of the best quarterbacks in the league doesn't have a lot of weapons or protection always seems to outgun the more respected QB's when he faces them.

What form do you want to look at then, the Preseason? Packers aren't taking any momentum into this season they were totally outclassed by Giants last post season, and it seems again any team that can bring solid pass rush will have this offence's measure. A Quarterback is only as good as his offensive line allows him to be.

Totally new mate

Well , welcome aboard 'Hipster' .

I'm a little more buoyant with regards Green Bay . Last years playoff loss burns deep and the Packers would feel the same . I'd be surprised if we're not thereabouts when the whips are cracking . If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it - don't worry .

And for what it's worth I genuinely hope the Rams have a good year . Bradford could easily have a great season (and that's half the battle) :)

Well , welcome aboard 'Hipster' .

I'm a little more buoyant with regards Green Bay . Last years playoff loss burns deep and the Packers would feel the same . I'd be surprised if we're not thereabouts when the whips are cracking . If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it - don't worry .

And for what it's worth I genuinely hope the Rams have a good year . Bradford could easily have a great season (and that's half the battle) :)

Yeah I'm sure you will certainly be there at the pointy end of the season as you are a fair ways ahead of any of your division rivals.

As do I! He reminds me a little bit of Jack Watts (in fact the whole Rams organisation reminds me of the Dees), number 1 pick, really likeable talented kid as was showed in his first year. But he hasn't been able to settle into a familiar offensive scheme and hasn't had a lot of talent around him which has halted his growth.

Edited by New Age Hipster

Yeah I'm sure you will certainly be there at the pointy end of the season as you are a fair ways ahead of any of your division rivals.

As do I! He reminds me a little bit of Jack Watts (in fact the whole Rams organisation reminds me of the Dees), number 1 pick, really likeable talented kid as was showed in his first year. But he hasn't been able to settle into a familiar offensive scheme and hasn't had a lot of talent around him which has halted his growth.

Might be asking a bit much but there's a school of thought that Brady and Peyton 'Made' a lot of wide receivers and tight ends .

Washington coming into St Louis is a fascinating match-up for a number of reasons . RG3 , both teams have to win , is Bradford gonna put a stamp on things ? etc etc .

I kinda like the fact the scores from the other games keep flashing up whilst we're watching the early or the late games . Wish they'd cross more to these games for TD's and big runs . Maybe we could have a few less adverts and more highlights from other games ?

I keep hearing about the 'Red zone' way of watching the games in the States . You familiar with it ?

Might be asking a bit much but there's a school of thought that Brady and Peyton 'Made' a lot of wide receivers and tight ends .

Washington coming into St Louis is a fascinating match-up for a number of reasons . RG3 , both teams have to win , is Bradford gonna put a stamp on things ? etc etc .

I kinda like the fact the scores from the other games keep flashing up whilst we're watching the early or the late games . Wish they'd cross more to these games for TD's and big runs . Maybe we could have a few less adverts and more highlights from other games ?

I keep hearing about the 'Red zone' way of watching the games in the States . You familiar with it ?

Yeah they certainly did and still do, and they move their feet well while keeping eyes downfield when the pocket collapses something Bradford needs to learn.

Not only on field reasons but we also have their first rounder this year, from essentially trading away RGIII, so by winning we will also improve our first round pick.

Yeah not sure but I'm guessing it would only part of American television deals. I have a question for you though, what do you prefer watching a game of NFL where your side isn't playing or a game of AFL where the Dees aren't playing?

Yeah they certainly did and still do, and they move their feet well while keeping eyes downfield when the pocket collapses something Bradford needs to learn.

Not only on field reasons but we also have their first rounder this year, from essentially trading away RGIII, so by winning we will also improve our first round pick.

Yeah not sure but I'm guessing it would only part of American television deals. I have a question for you though, what do you prefer watching a game of NFL where your side isn't playing or a game of AFL where the Dees aren't playing?

It's line ball . With the AFL , I certainly don't watch all the games and with some games , I have zero interest .

Last night's game for instance - if that was a H & A game I'd describe it as 'The fat rat's clacker's cup' . It was a good game but I don't have any allegiance or connection to either team .

With the NFL , it's way different . I know people who follow all sorts of different teams and because of the 8 divisions there are connections everywhere . For instance , I don't know a Bears fan either in person or on this thread but because they're Green Bay's biggest rival (traditionally) I like to watch their games .

I would watch just about any NFL game but wouldn't watch at least half of the AFL games . I'm a bit old school as well though . Footy was a much more aesthetically good game to watch back in the day whereas the NFL has in some ways gotten better to watch .

It's a toss up , depending on the circumstances .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

It's line ball . With the AFL , I certainly don't watch all the games and with some games , I have zero interest .

Last night's game for instance - if that was a H & A game I'd describe it as 'The fat rat's clacker's cup' . It was a good game but I don't have any allegiance or connection to either team .

With the NFL , it's way different . I know people who follow all sorts of different teams and because of the 8 divisions there are connections everywhere . For instance , I don't know a Bears fan either in person or on this thread but because they're Green Bays biggest rival (traditionally) I like to watch their games .

I would watch just about any NFL game but wouldn't watch at least half of the AFL games . I'm a bit old school as well though . Footy was a much more aesthetically good game to watch back in the day whereas the NFL has in some ways gotten better to watch .

It's a toss up , depending on the circumstances .

Yeah I gotta confess I am beginning to prefer watching NFL. Perhaps because it's the end of the season and I've had enough of footy but I rarely watch games of footy on TV where the Dees aren't playing but I would happily sit down and watch just about any NFL game. You just feel like anything can happen on any given play whereas footy can go through dry spells

• Like 1

Yeah I gotta confess I am beginning to prefer watching NFL. Perhaps because it's the end of the season and I've had enough of footy but I rarely watch games of footy on TV where the Dees aren't playing but I would happily sit down and watch just about any NFL game. You just feel like anything can happen on any given play whereas footy can go through dry spells

The times they are a changin' .

I'm still involved a bit at local sport level and most of the young blokes talk NFL , NBA , MLB , EPL and NHL . It used to be just footy and cricket with a bit of tennis and golf thrown in . The FA cup final was a big 'Overseas' sports event back in the day . Now it's just another event . All good though .

You've probably seen the other sports threads . We could do with a few more 'landers getting involved on those threads . Especially at this time of year when there's not a great deal to talk about re the Demons . I'm just a sports nut so you'll see me on nearly all of 'em . That may or may not be a good thing :)

Bill Simmons sports column on the NFL was posted today . Nearly always good for a laugh . It's usually fairly lengthy so you'll need a good half hour . Here it is folks ....

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8377762/the-mailbag-week-2-combo-platter

Had to go out last night and ended up at god awful crown but I met a girl from Minnesota and she was wearing a vikings Guernsey. We had a chat and she is a mad Vikings fan and she said the general feeling is Brett Favre is hated in Minnesota. I thought they would have loved the bloke but they can't stand him. She even blames him for the collapse of our stadium.

I'm with you on this. Especially week 1 of the NFL. I want to see RG3 and luck play. I like watching Rogers play. So I can watch a whole lot of games. When it comes to AFL I don't care about a bulldogs rookie or how Fremantle will go. Come round 1 of the AFL next year I'll of course go and watch the dee's but I probably won't watch another game with any interest at all.

Had to go out last night and ended up at god awful crown but I met a girl from Minnesota and she was wearing a vikings Guernsey. We had a chat and she is a mad Vikings fan and she said the general feeling is Brett Favre is hated in Minnesota. I thought they would have loved the bloke but they can't stand him. She even blames him for the collapse of our stadium.

Ha ha ha ! Classic .

Thought I'd bump up the games from an earlier post on Thursday ...

Got a late(ish) start at work tomorrow so will be able to watch the Eagles/Ravens and Steelers/Jets games in their entirety . Beauty ! Normally watch on a 2 hour delay so as to flick through all the adverts . Daylight saving kicking in in a couple of weeks will curtail my viewing pleasure though ! Will only be able to watch the early game from then on . SNF and MNF both look good this week .

Week 2 ...

FRI, SEP 14

10.20 AM Chicago 10 at Green Bay 23

MON, SEP 17

3.00 AM Kansas City 17 at Buffalo 35

3.00 AM Cleveland 27 at Cincinnati 34

3.00 AM Minnesota 20 at Indianapolis 23

3.00 AM New Orleans 27 at Carolina 35

3.00 AM Houston 27 at Jacksonville 7

3.00 AM Oakland 13 at Miami 36

3.00 AM Arizona 20 at New England 18 Fox 3

3.00 AM Tampa Bay 34 at NY Giants 41

3.00 AM Baltimore 23 at Philadelphia 24 OneHD

6.05 AM Washington 28 at St. Louis 31

6.05 AM Dallas 7 at Seattle 27

6.25 AM NY Jets 10 at Pittsburgh 27 OneHD

6.25 AM Tennessee 10 at San Diego 38

10.20 AM Detroit 19 at San Francisco 27 ESPN & OneHD

TUES, SEP 18

10.30 AM Denver 21 at Atlanta 27 ESPN

Edited by Macca

Just got a multi on Bengals, Ravens, Oakland, Houston and San Fran all covering the line, Monday night football looks a ripper though. Both teams competent on either side of the ball Peyton showing he can still sling it and Ryan looks deadly with his wideout Julio Jones proving to be a real force.

Just got a multi on Bengals, Ravens, Oakland, Houston and San Fran all covering the line, Monday night football looks a ripper though. Both teams competent on either side of the ball Peyton showing he can still sling it and Ryan looks deadly with his wideout Julio Jones proving to be a real force.

Not a bad bet at all. You didn't want to add the rams to that bet? Your boys and Carolina are my smokey's this week.

Not a bad bet at all. You didn't want to add the rams to that bet? Your boys and Carolina are my smokey's this week.

Yeah I don't mind them this week but I never like to bet on games involving teams I support, can never see it clearly. I agree I also think Carolina will win just don't like betting against an angry Drew Brees last year after a shock loss to Tampa he came out and threw 5 touchdowns and a QB rating of 144 while he amassed 62 points, although that being said it was against a side not of Carolina's standard.

Yeah I don't mind them this week but I never like to bet on games involving teams I support, can never see it clearly. I agree I also think Carolina will win just don't like betting against an angry Drew Brees last year after a shock loss to Tampa he came out and threw 5 touchdowns and a QB rating of 144 while he amassed 62 points, although that being said it was against a side not of Carolina's standard.

No coach at the Saints has to play a massive part for them this year. Speaking of St.Louis do you think they are staying put or are they off to the bright lights of L.A?

Yep lost both offensive and defensive play callers, obviously Sean Payton as head coach is a big loss.

It's hard to tell Stan Kroenke the owner, recently put in a bid to buy LA Dodgers although failed it seemed to send an intent to invest in Los Angeles. Ultimately I think it will come down to State funding and whether they are willing to put in the money to get Edward Jones Dome up to the quality as prescribed in their agreement, otherwise I believe Stan will exercise his clause to move the team.

I'm a bit blase about it, on the one hand you have Los Angeles with the attraction of a massive market with roots already establish but they have already had two teams relocate due to financial reasons and have not been as willing to go to football games in comparison to basketball. Whereas St Louis has a solid fan base but they haven't been turning up of recent times and the city is a baseball town first and foremost.