NFL

Dappa Dan

A few points about the NFC playoff picture if Seattle secure the 1 seed by winning against the Rams next week.

• Arizona would be the 5 seed whether they win against the 49ers or not ... they would then play the winner of the NFC South (the 4 seed) over the wild-card weekend (on the road)
  • The winner of the Green Bay vs Detroit game would be the 2 seed and get a week off
  • The loser of the Green Bay vs Detroit game would be the 6 seed and have to front up @ Dallas over the wild-card weekend and if they win that they'd then be @ Seattle in the divisional week of the playoffs
  • Dallas would be the 3 seed.

A couple of other points

• We could have a 7/9 team (Atlanta) at home against a 12/4 team (Arizona) in the first week of the playoffs.
  • If the Rams can get up and win, the Seahawks would be a wild-card team as long as Arizona were to defeat the 49ers.
  • If Cincinnati win tomorrow then the Patriots will be the 1 seed in the AFC
  • If Denver win tomorrow they will be at least the 2 seed in the playoffs.
  • Either KC or Houston can still make the playoffs but they'd both need a couple of other results to go their way.

In the event of a tie or multiple ties involving any of the above teams, all sorts of different scenarios would occur :)

• Like 1

Macca, for us to get in, we have to beat San Diego, Baltimore needs to lose at home to Cleveland and Jacksonville needs to win at Houston. We already used our 'Week 17 Miracle' back in 2006. We just blew it against Oakland and Tennessee. We are where we deserve to be. Actually, before this season I thought we would be better than last year, but miss the playoffs.

Today was very frustrating. When you're a team that relies on efficiency and doesn't get many big plays on either side of the ball, you can't afford fumbles and coaching errors when in the red zone, both of which happened today.

So Minnesota are down by 14 at Miami late in the 4th Quarter. We score 7 kick off and they fumble at the 5. We score 7 again Sweet! Game is tied and with 40 seconds left we punt deep in our endzone to send it to OT. We botch the friggin snap and the punt is blocked for a safety. We lose on a blocked punt safety after being up by 14 then down by 14 only to come back for that to happen. I get in my truck late for work (Normal Monday) and as I'm listening to the post game radio show I remember I bloody well tipped Minnesota as well. A few quick thoughts on the games that actually mattered though.

Pats and Packers seemed to just be in cruise control, Detroit and Indy have very flattering records compared to how they are playing at the moment. Both could be one and done in the playoffs, Saints have gone from one of the best home teams in the league to a stinking team at the dome, Seattle at Seattle in the playoffs yeah good luck with that anyone and stupid Dallas keep winning. I don't like Dallas winning and Romo flogging teams. I need some comedy during this time of year.

• Like 2

Macca, for us to get in, we have to beat San Diego, Baltimore needs to lose at home to Cleveland and Jacksonville needs to win at Houston. We already used our 'Week 17 Miracle' back in 2006. We just blew it against Oakland and Tennessee. We are where we deserve to be. Actually, before this season I thought we would be better than last year, but miss the playoffs.

Today was very frustrating. When you're a team that relies on efficiency and doesn't get many big plays on either side of the ball, you can't afford fumbles and coaching errors when in the red zone, both of which happened today.

Yeah, I knew the scenario but you just never know in this league - for instance, the Pats nearly blew their chance at the 1 seed against the Jets today. Would we be totally surprised if the Rams upset the Seahawks next week?

I can see KC winning and there's probably a small chance that the Jags might win but I can't see the Ravens losing. However, divisional games can often throw up close finishes and all the matches where KC need favourable results are divisional games.

I'm most concerned about the Packers next week against the Lions ... the loser will almost certainly have a horror playoff run starting at Dallas and then at Seattle - and that's just to get to the NFC championship game.

The Seahawks look scary good ... they don't seem to be missing Harvin & Tate that much at all. It's their hunger that stands out most of all.

Who is going to add their name alongside the "illustrious" list of podium finishers in the tipping comp from years gone by? (well ... there's actually just been the one previous year where we've had a tipping comp but who's counting?) ^_^

A few of us picked up a point in the comp last week ... 3 points on offer for the final week. I'm supposing we're going to see some left field picks for the last week - whatever it takes hey? Last year we had joint winners but I reckon we'll probably have a clear winner this time.

There's sure to be some road winners but the key might be picking those teams who have a real incentive to win and also, identifying those teams who have an incentive to lose and therefore picking against them ... Tampa is an obvious one who would be much better off losing but there's a few others. ... Week 17 games ... playoff machine

Leaderboard in the comp

5 - Dappa Dan

4 - Georgiou R. R. Martin

3 - JV7, Go the Biff, Macca

2 - pantaloons

1 - cowboy_from_hell, Gorgoroth

roll_header.jpg

Year Winner Runners up 3rd place

2013 cowboy_from_hell/ pantaloons/ Gorgoroth

Strafford Macca

2014 ???????? ???????? ????????

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Bugger. Still, it took me to Week 16 to forget my tips which is better than I expected going in !

Some here have taken to putting in their tips really early ... I put mine in straight after I post the TV games. A few have missed the odd week. Here are the three 7mate games for next Monday ... (ESPN are doing the regular Redzone & SNF)

5.00am - San Diego @ KC

8.25am - Arizona @ San Francisco

12.30pm - Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh

All the week 17 games

By the way, 'GtB', which team do you support?

• Like 1

Some here have taken to putting in their tips really early ... I put mine in straight after I post the TV games. A few have missed the odd week. Here are the three 7mate games for next Monday ... (ESPN are doing the regular Redzone & SNF)

5.00am - San Diego @ KC

8.25am - Arizona @ San Francisco

12.30pm - Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh

All the week 17 games

spewing, was hoping the falcons game would be on 7mate, on holidays not sure how Im going to watch! might have to stream straight from game pass on the iphone and cop the huge data bill haha

• Like 1

spewing, was hoping the falcons game would be on 7mate, on holidays not sure how Im going to watch! might have to stream straight from game pass on the iphone and cop the huge data bill haha

I'm lucky enough to have redzone so I'll get to see a fair bit of the Packers game against the Lions. I'd like to see every snap though so I may have to be a bit resourceful :)

I think it was you who asked whether 7mate are covering all the playoff games ... it looks like they are if this article rings true ...

... Seven snares Super Bowl, NFL.

Seven has signed a five year agreement for coverage of the US National Football League on Seven and 7mate.

Seven will also broadcast live the NFL Playoffs and Super Bowl.

• Like 1

I'm lucky enough to have redzone so I'll get to see a fair bit of the Packers game against the Lions. I'd like to see every snap though so I may have to be a bit resourceful :)

I think it was you who asked whether 7mate are covering all the playoff games ... it looks like they are if this article rings true ...

... Seven snares Super Bowl, NFL.

Yeah redzone is good in some ways but it's annoying when you want to watch the whole game of your side

Fingers crossed they show all the games.. I guess games don't overlap so they'd surely show them all!

Yeah redzone is good in some ways but it's annoying when you want to watch the whole game of your side

Fingers crossed they show all the games.. I guess games don't overlap so they'd surely show them all!

On an overall basis, we do quite well in terms of live games ... Foxtel hasn't done any games this season but that might have something to do with the broadcast rights ... the quality of the games on 7mate has been excellent.

Unfortunately, they picked the wrong week to do a late arvo game with not much riding on it - unless the Rams win of course and then Arizona would have everything to play for.

My wish would be if the NFL had a Saturday night game every week (as well as the Thursday night game)

I see the NFL have flexed a couple more games to the late arvo this week - Packers/Lions game included. So much to play for with both your team and mine. Raiola out for the Lions helps us - I'll take any sort of advantage ^_^

• Like 1

On an overall basis, we do quite well in terms of live games ... Foxtel hasn't done any games this season but that might have something to do with the broadcast rights ... the quality of the games on 7mate has been excellent.

Unfortunately, they picked the wrong week to do a late arvo game with not much riding on it - unless the Rams win of course and then Arizona would have everything to play for.

My wish would be if the NFL had a Saturday night game every week (as well as the Thursday night game)

I see the NFL have flexed a couple more games to the late arvo this week - Packers/Lions game included. So much to play for with both your team and mine. Raiola out for the Lions helps us - I'll take any sort of advantage ^_^

Yeah the fact we get 3 free to air games in Australia is pretty good! Yeah it always seemed strange to me that they have so many games on a Sunday, guess were just used to the AFL been spread over the weekend. Yeah defintly going to be a nerve racking Monday morning for both of us. I shouldn't jinx us but I think we both SHOULD win but I have learnt those two words and NFL don't go together haha

• Like 1

5.00am - San Diego @ KC

SWEET! Should be a pearler with both teams playing for their lives. KC starting a 2.5 point favourite.

Onto the tips. I'll take New Orleans and...what the heck. I'll go the reverse jinx.

Cleveland

Jacksonville

Twill be the sweetest point ever earned.

SWEET! Should be a pearler with both teams playing for their lives. KC starting a 2.5 point favourite.

Onto the tips. I'll take New Orleans and...what the heck. I'll go the reverse jinx.

Cleveland

Jacksonville

Twill be the sweetest point ever earned.

3 points if all 3 get up for you ... I think I'll end up doing something similar with my tips.

The pattern that has emerged (and that pattern probably emerged last season) is that the conservative route doesn't really work when trying to find 3 road winners ... anyway, 6 of the 8 participants can still win it so at least it's all gone down to the wire.

• Like 1

7mate have changed their line-up of games ...

Carolina @ Atlanta is now on live at 8.30am Monday ^_^

Monday

5.00am - 11.30am RedZone (ESPN)

5.00am San Diego at Kansas City (7mate)

8.30am Carolina at Atlanta (7mate)

12.30pm Cincinnati at Pittsburgh (7mate & ESPN)

All the week 17 games & BS Report

Week 17 Elo Ratings & Playoff Odds

silver-elo-week-17-table-32.png?w=773&h=

7mate have changed their line-up of games ...

Carolina @ Atlanta is now on live at 8.30am Monday ^_^

Monday

5.00am - 11.30am RedZone (ESPN)

5.00am San Diego at Kansas City (7mate)

8.30am Carolina at Atlanta (7mate)

12.30pm Cincinnati at Pittsburgh (7mate & ESPN)

All the week 17 games & BS Report

Week 17 Elo Ratings & Playoff Odds

silver-elo-week-17-table-32.png?w=773&h=

You beauty! This has made my christmas haha... Thanks macca I would have never known! Edited by JV7
  • Like 1

'49er's since the days of seeing Don Lane present the playoffs on TV

I have a pretty strong affection for the Pats as well given that a) my other American sporting allegiances are in Boston b) they play in the "other" league c) Tom Brady is a gun and d) they gave me an interest in the playoffs over 10 years of crud from SF

It's a strange thing that I can like a few teams in the NFL but despise all but Melbourne in the AFL - although if pushed I will admit that I don't mind watching Port Adelaide play. The rest can all G&GF

ThIs week : Indy, San Diego & Arizona to underline the shite season that SF have put together.

Edited by Go the Biff

'49er's since the days of seeing Don Lane present the playoffs on TV

I have a pretty strong affection for the Pats as well given that a) my other American sporting allegiances are in Boston b) they play in the "other" league c) Tom Brady is a gun and d) they gave me an interest in the playoffs over 10 years of crud from SF

It's a strange thing that I can like a few teams in the NFL but despise all but Melbourne in the AFL - although if pushed I will admit that I don't mind watching Port Adelaide play. The rest can all G&GF

ThIs week : Indy, San Diego & Arizona to underline the shite season that SF have put together.

I think that "liking" of other teams in other sports comes down to 'manic' support vs normal type support.

I obviously support Green Bay but I also have no real connection to Wisconsin or the USA at all. There are a number of NFL teams that I have a soft spot for - there's only a few teams that I have a genuine dislike for (and even that opinion is changeable)

Joe Montana was the first player that I ever became aware of - the niners remain one of the teams that I can't dislike because of Montana. He was a genuine superstar.