U18 Champs Leader Board

cooko

It's very important to remember that there have been many examples of truly elite midfielders coming from the lower first-round picks and even second-, third- and very occasionally, fourth-round picks. Look at 2001 - Yes, the top end was strong with Hodge, Judd and Ball top three, but look further down the list and you see 8. Bartel 13. Dal Santo 24. Steve Johnson 36. Sam Mitchell 37. Montagna 40. Ablett 46. J. Waite 58. Swan. Surely one of the strongest drafts ever, and then look at the 2002 draft and it is week as water.

Mind you, I'd take 2 elite mids rather than 1 elite mid and 1 KPF forward that we picked because we felt we needed one.

I would too. But they have to be elite. I think we all know 'one' is, by reports. We do need a KPF though, it's a little obvious IMO.

I'm not convinced yet for 2 mids with first two picks - If pick 1&2 or 1&3. Although I see you're thinking and you may have swayed me a little.

However, I'm still keen on 1 mid/1 KPF. Riewoldt keeps reminding me of it.

Watts is probably more like a Riewoldt with his mobility & athleticism.

So In my mind I ask myself the question would I prefer a Koschinski 197cm type, or would I prefer a Lloyd/Neitz 193/4cm type. For the versatility & mobility I think I would Now go for the Lloyd/Neitz type as the game does seem to be getting faster so a tall, strong fast leading forward who happens to be very good below his knees would I think be my preference.

My thinking is I want a forward half thats completely at ease rotating positions frequently, keeping the opposition defence off balance & disrupt their cohesion.

Ps: If a side were to build a team from the forwards first, before the mids & defenders, that team would probably kick enough score to get to mid ladder before finishing building their list. they would not be able to aquire a strong enough list to grab a flag unless they were very lucky with trading & father son pickups.

Lets ensure we have a midfield group that isn't 2nd to any, prior to recruiting & playing those goal kicking giants we are yet to get.

Priority pick & 1st pick - 2 elite mids

2nd Rnd - best player - (tall or mid)

3rd - tall forward

4th- tall forward/follower - (ben McEvoy type)

Rookies - tall/med forwards, Rucks

Preseason - best player.

I would too. But they have to be elite. I think we all know 'one' is, by reports. We do need a KPF though, it's a little obvious IMO.

Yes but that Key Forward doesn't have to be a franklin or a hudson. A Mark McLure or a Robbie Walls would be just fine. They don't have to be the guns of the competition, a Key Forward who is a solid contributor & a good mark is all thst we require to do the job.

Good raps on this Panos kid, If west tank eagles get pick 2 and pick up butcher, panos might come into consideration for pick 3 as he is a key forward.

he does look good that kid!

some clips

i have updated the leader board with the 2 other games that were on today..

Jordan Williams from NSW/ACT has also received a 3rd straight Best on ground nomination! He has been added to the best on ground leaders!

Who are the good Ruckman in this draft?

Also, Will a gun Ruck or KPF be available at pick 18-20.

If we can get either of them I think we will definitely take two mids with our first two picks.

Who are the good Ruckman in this draft?

Also, Will a gun Ruck or KPF be available at pick 18-20.

If we can get either of them I think we will definitely take two mids with our first two picks.

hey mate.. welcome to demonland! ..from vic metro Fitzpatrick is probably the most promising ruck draft prospect at this time.. odds are he will go in the 1st round.. but if some how he slips to the 2nd i am sure we will snap him up! (just like we stole Blease from the 1st round last year)

and at this point.. odds are we will pick tom scully at pick 1 (a mid) and john butcher at 2 (a KPF) ..check out their youtube links.. they both look like guns!!

It's very important to remember that there have been many examples of truly elite midfielders coming from the lower first-round picks and even second-, third- and very occasionally, fourth-round picks. Look at 2001 - Yes, the top end was strong with Hodge, Judd and Ball top three, but look further down the list and you see 8. Bartel 13. Dal Santo 24. Steve Johnson 36. Sam Mitchell 37. Montagna 40. Ablett 46. J. Waite 58. Swan. Surely one of the strongest drafts ever, and then look at the 2002 draft and it is week as water.

Your example here is slightly flawed i that both Waite and Ablett were taken as Father-Sons under the old system of a 3rd round pick. Also S.Johnson and Waite are more forwards and Montagna is really only having his first year as an elite midfielder.

I would prefer 2 elite mids with our early picks, but at the end of the day, i think you draft best player available that early and back your recruiter to make the best decision. Defenders are rarely ever rated as top 3 picks, so it will always come down to mids, forwards and rucks, which we all need.

I still believe that Lucas is up there as well, would love two of Scully, Trengove or Lucas

Don't forget Christenson.

What we need is these elite mids which have speed & gut running ability.

Scully has good speed & is a gut runner. I haven't heard enough information yet on the others except that those we've mentioned are playing good footy for their respective teams.

If we can end up with a pair of elite inside mids like the cousins/kerr combo was, I'll be very happy.

We've got to see that West Coke exit the priority pit window. List manage round of the year, R-14.

Win R-15 v Port, please.

Don't forget Christenson.

What we need is these elite mids which have speed & gut running ability.

Scully has good speed & is a gut runner. I haven't heard enough information yet on the others except that those we've mentioned are playing good footy for their respective teams.

If we can end up with a pair of elite inside mids like the cousins/kerr combo was, I'll be very happy.

We've got to see that West Coke exit the priority pit window. List manage round of the year, R-14.

Win R-15 v Port, please.

From vandelay @ Big Footy - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574142

This year's group are an interesting bunch, a lot of guys that bring different things to the table.

Tom Scully's number 1 at the moment, and I can't see anyone knocking him off. He's got it all that boy.

After him, you've got the elite footskills of Lucas as well as good pace making him a prototype outside player, the athletic prowess of Morabito, the skills and natural football nous of Duncan, the bash, crash and burn of Koby Stevens, the silkyness of Melksham and Carey, the dash of Crichton....there's a bit of everything.

The Champs will go a long way in seperating these boys.

Right now, with my Bomber glasses on, outside of Scully I'd draft Koby Stevens. I realise the magnitude of this call, but if there's ever been a junior that's reminded me of Timmy Watson, it's this kid. And what the Dons would do for a Tim Watson type right now...

we need to recruit some hard nuts! with skill

, the bash, crash and burn of Koby Stevens, th

also..

Swallow, Toy and Matera all seem to be dominating however all 3 will probably go to Gold Coast..

Panos kicking 5 goals on Saturday has taken second spot on the goal kicking list

Hooper for Vic Country has had a very solid run so far although i don’t know much about him? anyone?

Trengove has had his 4th straight best on ground and you would think he will probably take #2 spot over Butcher now!

Scully had his 3rd #1 best on ground!

Butcher also had a 3rd best on and kicked 2 goals to lead Vic Country's goal kickers for the series.. although it seems he is over shadowed by Panos as the best Key Forward in the draft

Kane Lucas apparently had a massive game on Saturday for WA

Darling (WA), Silverlock (SA) and Hicks (Vic Metro) could all be handy forwards looking at their goal kicking so far!

ITS HEATING UP!!

From what i have seen so far Scully seems a stand out

But instead of choosing what alot of others have said in Butcher i would be looking at another Midfielder

I have updated the stats on the first page and here is the final leader board!

Leader Board

GOALS

Matera (WA) 16

Panos (SA) 14

Darling (WA) 14

Silverlock (SA) 11

Emery (NSW/ACT) 10

Butcher (Vic Country) 9

Tapscott (SA) 9

Fyfe (WA) 9

Hicks (Vic Metro) 9

McNeil (NSW/ACT) 9