• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Draft

iv'a worn smith

Great we got Watts. I just watched some of his highlights on the MFC website. Sure he is lean, but he is the total package. Even to hear him speak on on SEN after being drafted, he is clearly an impressive young man.

Some so-called experts predicted Blease would go higher, so it would appear to pick him up at pick 17 is a bit of a coup for the MFC.

But I just saw this photo on the MFC website. Who does he remind you of? http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/D...px?newsid=70128

They say Jacky boy won't play next year, but I reckon he'll make a quick debut...

If you watch the video, you'd notice that he could VERY easily come straight in and make enough of an impact to keep his spot. All he'd need to do is play 50-75% game time, pick up 12-15 possessions on a wing... or even less if he's playing out of a pocket. And most of all, the way the kid moves and marks, he could walk into the AFL and account well for himself in the clinches. No-one would be expecting him to dominate playing on, say, Scarlett out of the square, but DB wouldn't be stupid enough to play him there, surely.

Look at players like Palmer, Murphy and countless other solid midfielders who come in in their first or second seasons and not only account well for themselves but even manage to have a big say on their team's results. Blease is another player who could come in, and with his skillset, pick up a lot of possessions flying under the radar. Watts could be played in a number of positions with his pace, agility, marking ability and kick...

I'm looking forward to the day. His first possession... and crowd reaction.

In Jack we trust.

They say Jacky boy won't play next year, but I reckon he'll make a quick debut...

I agree.

We play North Melbourne on a Sunday at 1.30pm in Round One next year. If he was named it would create huge news and interest and we might get away with not writing a cheque to the MCC.

Both Watts & Blease are still at school next year doing year 12 - I'd expect this to considerably reduce the chance of them playing early.

Definitely slate them both in a for a few games towards the end of the year though

Bail looks a chance to get a game early on, imo.

Both Watts & Blease are still at school next year doing year 12 - I'd expect this to considerably reduce the chance of them playing early.

Definitely slate them both in a for a few games towards the end of the year though

Bail looks a chance to get a game early on, imo.

Normally I would agree but DB seems keen to play the kids early.

What you have said makes perfect sense but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he plays some of them first round.

Can you imagine if Watts lined up on Firrito? He's twice the size of him.

In Jack we trust.

I reckon Jack will play early on too. (Should be a home game of course, preferable post round 1).

Jack plays FP next to Miller.

In Jack we trust.

West Coast

2. Nicholas Naitanui | Bio

18. Luke Shuey | Bio

20. Thomas Swift | Bio

36. Ashley Smith | Bio

52. Jordan Jones | Bio

Matt Burgan says:

It was yet another first-class recruiting display from West Coast, with this group of players among the most talented selected by a club this year. Naitanui could've quite easily been the No.1 draft pick and many believe he could take the game to another level long-term. Midfielders Swift (No.20) and Smith (No.36) were touted by many recruiters as first-round/priority round selections. Another ball-winner Shuey was also highly-rated as a 15 to 30 prospect. Jones adds defensive depth. It will be fascinating to see this group evolve.

Take into consideration they picked after us all draft…..

Who do you think (at this stage and obviously on paper) did better??

West Coast

2. Nicholas Naitanui | Bio

18. Luke Shuey | Bio

20. Thomas Swift | Bio

36. Ashley Smith | Bio

52. Jordan Jones | Bio

Matt Burgan says:

It was yet another first-class recruiting display from West Coast, with this group of players among the most talented selected by a club this year. Naitanui could've quite easily been the No.1 draft pick and many believe he could take the game to another level long-term. Midfielders Swift (No.20) and Smith (No.36) were touted by many recruiters as first-round/priority round selections. Another ball-winner Shuey was also highly-rated as a 15 to 30 prospect. Jones adds defensive depth. It will be fascinating to see this group evolve.

Seems we 'trumped' them though:

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/naitanui-m...nbz.html?page=2

Woodhouse admitted afterwards the Eagles had been trumped by the Demons – but was happy with the process, and the talent they had committed to.

"It was a good draft, there was a fair bit of talent going around so hopefully we were in the mix," Woodhouse said.

"We had had a couple of other WA kids in our sights to and got nipped in the bud by Melbourne later in the draft.

"They probably did (trump us), we rated Jamie highly, and had he been available we would have picked him there.

"But that is life in the draft, you can go close and you don’t know where it will end.

"We are certainly happy with Ashley Smith … but it is probably easier to get kids out of your home town these days.

"It is interesting that Melbourne did that, perhaps lacking a little bit of funds to relocate kids, but that is what they chose to do and we move on."

So Burgo is saying Swift, who went 20, was touted as being a possible pick 17-18, what a steal at 20! With two dodgy knees.

Also that Shuey, who was rated 15-30, went at 18... Steal!

It may turn out to be a very good draft for them, but I hardly think insinuating that theydid very well to nab them sounds a bit rich. "Adds defensive depth" you could make that argument for any player picked up by any club. We added midfield depth, speed, skill and a marking target up forward.

Only time will tell who had the best draft, and even then the arguments will continue

How the hell can we know who did better. It's been what, 3 days since the draft? None of them have played a game, been arrested for drink driving or injured themselves. As it stands, we're on equal ground with the other 15 clubs.

We had our reasons for not picking up Swift and Smith. Both are risks, and if they work out for West Coast that's great, but there is a higher percentage of success with Blease and Strauss than there is with those two. And the same goes for Naitanui, he could revolutionize the game or be just another player who can jump high. Watts is a hell of a lot more likely to dominate given his already solid grasp on the skills and attributes required to play this game. Naitanui has so much to learn, but he may not. If there is one thing you can't teach a player, is footy smarts. Naitanui doesn't seem to have an innate understanding of where the ball is going to go, and for a midfielder that is a big hurdle to overcome.

At the end of the day we went into draft day with our targets in mind, and scored 5 out of 6 of those targets. We got what we wanted, and that can only be considered a victory. I really don't care how outsiders grade us on this draft, all I care about is what these 6 boys produce for our club and we won't know that for sure until at least 3 years down the track.

I guess it will be interesting to see how people will rate this draft if Watts turns out to be a superstar, but the rest of our picks never make it, while Naitanui never delivers but West Coast's other picks do.

"It is interesting that Melbourne did that, perhaps lacking a little bit of funds to relocate kids, but that is what they chose to do and we move on."

Poor Wittle West Coast man, sitting on his pretty club's income. I feel sorry for the team foiled by that rotten poor club that surely can't look after our WA boys like we can. This boy will definitely now live in the gutter because Melbourne don't have the funds we have, just look at Cale Morton

Poor Wittle West Coast man, sitting on his pretty club's income. I feel sorry for the team foiled by that rotten poor club that surely can't look after our WA boys like we can. This boy will definitely now live in the gutter because Melbourne don't have the funds we have, just look at Cale Morton

Haha. This has sour grapes written all over it.

Besides, it is a complete disgrace that West Coast even finished the season in 15th position, given how many games they clearly tanked and how recently they were dominating the competition.

They went into panic mode the minute their traitor captain abandoned ship and Benny went off in search of white powder. I guess money can't always buy you loyalty or a clean bill of health, can it now :D

Perhaps he's 100% on the money.

Cale is clearly malnourished, will possibly not see out the season, and now CJ leaves us because we can't pay him enough....Dear dear, our WA picks should definitely return to their rightful home, somewhere with sufficient funds

Putting a positive spin on things: -

"Melbourne did remarkably well out of the National Draft, securing Jack Watts at No.1. The likes of West Coast, Fremantle and Port Adelaide all had their toes, fingers and legs crossed that the Demons recruiters would have stuffed up their first selection by nominating the risky propositions of either a Naitanui, Rich, Hill or Hartlett.

Not only did the Demons strike gold with Watts who is touted to be the next big star of the AFL, but they hit the jackpot in securing talented Vic Metro duo Blease and Strauss - unbelievably at picks 17 and 19. Talk about a slide and a half!!! Some recruiters had these two pencilled in at top 10. Recruiters at other clubs between picks 7 and 16 are sure to face the scrutiny from their respective members for not pouncing on these two out and out guns. The Demons are certainly smiling down at Demon Land.

If that's not enough, the Demons then trumped all other AFL sides in the competition in getting Binnell, Jetta and Bail with its remaining picks in the draft before showing great composure and very smartly passing on their last pick for the PSD on Dec 16th. How intelligent are those in charge at Melbournefc must be!

They beat the West Coast Eagles to the punch on 6 occassions. That's right six! Binnell and Jetta were in West Coast and Fremantles backyard. The Eagles and Dockers were smarting on their morning walk to the draft, both teams having these two draftees on high priority. Absolute steals for the Melbournefc.

Reports in the West say the recruiters jobs at the Eagles and Dockers are allegedly to become under review as a direct result of the Demons snatching their targeted picks from them. All other clubs recruiters are on notice for next years draft. Barry Prendergast is now being head hunted to head up recruiting at other AFL clubs. As far as I am concerned, that would be a waste of time as the Demons have turned the corner and are looking to secure his services further, as it is seen as unfinished business and the job has just begun."

- Pull the other one and it plays Jingle Bells Media Outlets.