Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Here's my Ashes squad. The selectors will no doubt be thinking differently. One proviso ... the selectors have intimated that they will take 7 batsmen, 2 keepers, 2 spinners and 6 fast bowlers (or 5 quicks and an all rounder who bowls medium fast)

Squad of 17

Clarke (Capt)

Warner

Cowan

Smith (has to be rewarded)

Burns (need one new batsman who didn't tour India)

Khawaja

Watson (V Capt) (plays in the best XI if he is bowling)

Mitchell Marsh (have heard he might be the 'smoky')

Wade

Paine

*Ahmed (if he's available)

Lyon

Pattinson

**Cummins (if he is fit and raring to go)

Starc

Siddle

**Bird (subject to fitness)

*Beer, Ajar or Holland on standby for Ahmed

**Harris, Hilfenhaus and Johnson on standby for Cummins and/or Bird (in that order)

Best XI

Warner

Watson

Cowan

Clarke

Khawaja

Smith

Wade

Siddle

Pattinson

Cummins

Ahmed

12th man Starc

The XI bats "left and right" all the way through the order.

Paine, Starc and Lyon are unlucky not to be included in the XI.

Would have liked to have found room for Doolan and or Rogers in the squad.

Edited by Macca

I think it is ridiculous of you to have Ahmed in your best XI Macca. He is a very raw, unproven leg spinner and Lyon is no doubt the most experienced and definitely reliable spinner in the country and is in my best XI every day of the week.

I think it is ridiculous of you to have Ahmed in your best XI Macca. He is a very raw, unproven leg spinner and Lyon is no doubt the most experienced and definitely reliable spinner in the country and is in my best XI every day of the week.

Yeah, as I was posting that team I had an eye on the future as opposed to right now. It largely explains why Cummins is in my XI. You are most probably right with regards to Lyon being in the team first up but 2 things to take into account.

1 - If Fawad is named in the squad then there is a very good chance that he will debut in one of the 5 Tests.

2 - The selectors did drop Lyon from the Team after the 1st Test in India so he may not be regarded as a permanent fixture by the selectors.

In summary, if all those players I mentioned were named in the squad then you may find that XI that I named could be the one named for the 3rd Test (especially if we're 1 - 0 down in the series at that stage)

It was more of a future's XI, Django, rather than the team picked for the 1st Test. I think that even if Cummins is fit, they'll wait a bit before bringing him into the side. I did call it the 'Best XI'. Should have put a 'Going forward' bit beside it to be clear. By the way, I like Lyon but it's doubtful he'll ever be 'Great'.

And besides all that, we all know that England don't play leg spin very well !!

Here's my XI for the 1st Ashes Test. I don't believe it's a 'great' team by any means. Ultimately I believe Cummins, Ahmed and possibly Paine and Burns will find their way into the team. Henriques or maybe even the 'smoky', Mitchell Marsh could come in for a 'Non bowling Watson'. I like the look of Doolan and Maddinson as well. We need to unearth a number of 'stars' if we're going to return to no.1 status.

Warner

Watson

Cowan

Clarke

Khawaja

Smith

Wade

Siddle

Starc

Pattinson

Lyon

Edited by Macca

Fair enough, it's not a bad side anyhow. I am under the impression Ahmed is about 30/31 but how old is he?

It may be a good thing that he's a mature age leggie. Hohns and Holland were quite handy for us before Warne arrived on the scene.

Edited by Macca

Fair enough, it's not a bad side anyhow. I am under the impression Ahmed is about 30/31 but how old is he?

Recently turned 31 years of age, so a leggie who knows his trade and the reason he hasn't played more first class cricket is probably due to the threat of death by the Taliban when he was in Pakistan.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/240609.html

16 wickets in 3 shield matches this year @ 28.37 at a run rate of 3.07 to Nathan Lyon's

7 shield wickets in 5 matches @ 71.42 at a run rate of 3.78.

I'm not bagging Lyon, I think he's been very servicable and right now he's the best eligable Australian spinner we have. But the second Fawad's citizenship goes through then Lyon becomes the 2nd best spinner we have.

Even James Hopes said that Fawad Ahmed's the best spinner in the country at the moment and Ahemd also due a lot of praise from the Aussie players when he bolwed to them before the 1st Test of the summer in the nets at the Gabba, so if he's available he should play. As Macca said, Lyon's clearly not cemented in the team given his 2nd test dropping, and he's had 22 chances to cement himself in the team but is yet to do so.

Fawad Ahme'd only 31 so could easily have 5 years of test cricket ahead of him. Enough time for Nathan Lyon to improve or a Zampa, Agar, Muirhead or Holland to come on. I'm ready to see a wrist spinner back in the Aussie team, they always look more threatening and this country has a rich history of quality wrist spinner (Warne, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Benaud, MacGill) not so much finger spinners.

• Like 1

Yeah, as I was posting that team I had an eye on the future as opposed to right now. It largely explains why Cummins is in my XI. You are most probably right with regards to Lyon being in the team first up but 2 things to take into account.

1 - If Fawad is named in the squad then there is a very good chance that he will debut in one of the 5 Tests.

2 - The selectors did drop Lyon from the Team after the 1st Test in India so he may not be regarded as a permanent fixture by the selectors.

In summary, if all those players I mentioned were named in the squad then you may find that XI that I named could be the one named for the 3rd Test (especially if we're 1 - 0 down in the series at that stage)

It was more of a future's XI, Django, rather than the team picked for the 1st Test. I think that even if Cummins is fit, they'll wait a bit before bringing him into the side. I did call it the 'Best XI'. Should have put a 'Going forward' bit beside it to be clear. By the way, I like Lyon but it's doubtful he'll ever be 'Great'.

And besides all that, we all know that England don't play leg spin very well !!

Here's my XI for the 1st Ashes Test. I don't believe it's a 'great' team by any means. Ultimately I believe Cummins, Ahmed and possibly Paine and Burns will find their way into the team. Henriques or maybe even the 'smoky', Mitchell Marsh could come in for a 'Non bowling Watson'. I like the look of Doolan and Maddinson as well. We need to unearth a number of 'stars' if we're going to return to no.1 status.

Warner

Watson

Cowan

Clarke

Khawaja

Smith

Wade

Siddle

Starc

Pattinson

Lyon

Good squad Macca and I like the idea of Cowan dropping down to number 3. I don't think it's the right spot for Clarke but also don't think it's a position we should be throwing someone new into either. Cowan's probably been around enough time now to feel somewhat comfortable enough with his game that he can make a go of turning that spot into his own. Taht then allows Clarke at 4 and Warner to open with someone like Watson (if he's not bowling) or the man I hope comes in Rogers.

Smth probably will get another gig with some reasonable performances over in India, Khawaja may get his chance also. However the selectors may go back to their love child Phil Hughes or an uncapped player like Burns, Doolan or Bailey may come into the fray.

I think we've mentioned the same fast men and keepers. I think Wade will need some scores and to improve his glovework within a few tests to keep any heat off him.

This could be one of the weaker touring parties we ship off to England, even weaker then our 89 squad who we thought had no chance...

Recently turned 31 years of age, so a leggie who knows his trade and the reason he hasn't played more first class cricket is probably due to the threat of death by the Taliban when he was in Pakistan.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/240609.html

16 wickets in 3 shield matches this year @ 28.37 at a run rate of 3.07 to Nathan Lyon's

7 shield wickets in 5 matches @ 71.42 at a run rate of 3.78.

I'm not bagging Lyon, I think he's been very servicable and right now he's the best eligable Australian spinner we have. But the second Fawad's citizenship goes through then Lyon becomes the 2nd best spinner we have.

Even James Hopes said that Fawad Ahmed's the best spinner in the country at the moment and Ahemd also due a lot of praise from the Aussie players when he bolwed to them before the 1st Test of the summer in the nets at the Gabba, so if he's available he should play. As Macca said, Lyon's clearly not cemented in the team given his 2nd test dropping, and he's had 22 chances to cement himself in the team but is yet to do so.

Fawad Ahme'd only 31 so could easily have 5 years of test cricket ahead of him. Enough time for Nathan Lyon to improve or a Zampa, Agar, Muirhead or Holland to come on. I'm ready to see a wrist spinner back in the Aussie team, they always look more threatening and this country has a rich history of quality wrist spinner (Warne, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Benaud, MacGill) not so much finger spinners.

Lyon has 76 wickets at 33 from 22 games - a pretty respectable return considering his Shield form that you pointed out. The fact is that four day shield cricket is very different from test cricket and can take quite a bit of adapting.

At 26 I think Lyon is definitely the man who should remain number one test spinner as he has plenty of time to work on his game and his returns show that he has been improving. We shouldn't get carried away by a bloke who has played a few good shield matches and has a status in the cricketing community which is majorly inflated by of his back story.

• Like 1

Lyon has 76 wickets at 33 from 22 games - a pretty respectable return considering his Shield form that you pointed out. The fact is that four day shield cricket is very different from test cricket and can take quite a bit of adapting.

At 26 I think Lyon is definitely the man who should remain number one test spinner as he has plenty of time to work on his game and his returns show that he has been improving. We shouldn't get carried away by a bloke who has played a few good shield matches and has a status in the cricketing community which is majorly inflated by of his back story.

I just want them to play the best spinner available. Whether that's Ahmed or Lyon or Agar doesn't bother me. Although personally on what I've seen I suspect it's Ahemd.

I just want them to play the best spinner available. Whether that's Ahmed or Lyon or Agar doesn't bother me. Although personally on what I've seen I suspect it's Ahemd.

I think one thing is obvious - it's not Doherty and never will be

• Like 1

I think one thing is obvious - it's not Doherty and never will be

With a bit of coaching Xavier could be a much better bowler. He needs to get a lot more side on in his delivery stride and put a lot more body into his bowling. He's a bit too open and that's why he doesn't get enough flight, drift and spin on the ball.

I'm really surprised someone hasn't got hold of him and fixed his delivery stride and action. Haven't the individual States got any bowling coaches? He's 30 years old and there might still be time. His bowling right now is better suited to limited overs cricket.

Look at Ojha, Panesar and the like. Really nice actions with a smooth flow about how they bowl. All the good left arm tweakers had this trait.

Lyon or Ahmed? At least we might have 2 decent spinners vying for the one spot. That's a good thing ...

Yeah, good point HT (of what I can remember of it !)

We'll take 2 spinners to England. The following quote is from an 'Age' article a couple of days ago.

Bit of a misleading headline but interesting, nonetheless ... We'll cook the pitches: Skipper

Alastair Cook has refused to rule out England preparing a string of turning wickets as his side looks to beat Australia in the Ashes series this year. ''You've got to use home advantage as best you can,'' the England captain said. ''Sometimes the pitch condition is down to what the summer is like … You can try and set it up the best you can but sometimes you can overcomplicate things.''

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, good point HT (of what I can remember of it !)

We'll take 2 spinners to England. The following quote is from an 'Age' article a couple of days ago.

Bit of a misleading headline but interesting, nonetheless ... We'll cook the pitches: Skipper

Lol. Did the wipeout take away my post?

I posted something about taking Lyon and another spinner. And that the Aussies will likely take two or something. I can't recall.

• Like 1

Announced the Ashes squad!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/tasmanian-james-faulkner-will-be-selected-in-a-16-man-ashes-squad/story-e6frfg8o-1226628456005

Australia's 16-man squad for the Ashes:

Michael Clarke ©, Brad Haddin (vc), Jackson Bird, Ed Cowan, James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Phillip Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson

Very inteesting squad. Do they play Haddin as a batsman/vc and Wade with the gloves or does Haddin take the gloves and Wade miss out?

Also odd with only 1 spinner. Fawad Ahmed's citizenship obviousnly hasn't come through fast enough which is disapointing, as I believ he'd have more to offer then Lyon.

My ideal first test XI would probably be:

C. Rogers

D. Warner

E. Cowan

M. Clarke*

B. Haddin (vc)

S. Watson

+M. Wade

P. Siddle

J. Pattinson

N. Lyon

J. Bird

Great to see Harris back in the squad along with Rogers, two of our better performers at state level and deserve their call up. Faulkner's an interesting one. If Watson's form continues to dive he could get an opportunity over there. Hughes continues to have more lives then a cat and Khawaja's and Starc's selections are obviously expected. George Bailey possibly a little unlucky despite his poor shield season, thought his weight of ODI runs may have forced him in there.

• Like 1

Announced the Ashes squad!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/tasmanian-james-faulkner-will-be-selected-in-a-16-man-ashes-squad/story-e6frfg8o-1226628456005

Australia's 16-man squad for the Ashes:

Michael Clarke ©, Brad Haddin (vc), Jackson Bird, Ed Cowan, James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Phillip Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson

Very inteesting squad. Do they play Haddin as a batsman/vc and Wade with the gloves or does Haddin take the gloves and Wade miss out?

Also odd with only 1 spinner. Fawad Ahmed's citizenship obviousnly hasn't come through fast enough which is disapointing, as I believ he'd have more to offer then Lyon.

My ideal first test XI would probably be:

C. Rogers

D. Warner

E. Cowan

M. Clarke*

B. Haddin (vc)

S. Watson

+M. Wade

P. Siddle

J. Pattinson

N. Lyon

J. Bird

Great to see Harris back in the squad along with Rogers, two of our better performers at state level and deserve their call up. Faulkner's an interesting one. If Watson's form continues to dive he could get an opportunity over there. Hughes continues to have more lives then a cat and Khawaja's and Starc's selections are obviously expected. George Bailey possibly a little unlucky despite his poor shield season, thought his weight of ODI runs may have forced him in there.

Would have liked to see an extra spinner in the squad for a few reasons

1 - In case we need to replace Lyon because of lack of form

2 - To step into the team if Lyon has a training mishap and is unavailable

3 - In case a 'spinning wicket' is prepared or is presented because of local conditions.

4 - To give valuable experience to another spinner on an Ashes tour.

The above 4 points should not be seen as a criticism of Lyon as I believe he's easily our first choice spinner right now. It's more the principle of only having one spinner in the squad. Maybe we'll have a few of our other spinners over there playing County cricket during the tour. If that's the case, then there is most probably a back-up plan.

Remembering that Wade had to play with a fractured cheekbone in India because we didn't have a reserve keeper on tour (Haddin was belatedly flown over)

On the choosing of 6 fast bowlers ...

Even though it was a predictable move because of the rotation policy, it effectively means that 3 quick bowlers will sit on the sidelines for every Test. 5 quicks would have been enough and if we had done that it would have allowed us to pick an extra spinner and create more balance.

Also felt we could have picked a 17th player to tour and ideally that player would have been a batting all rounder who bowls medium fast. Henriques or Mitch Marsh could have fitted the bill. As it is, if Watson breaks down again, we won't have a 5th bowler in the team. We could fly a player in but it would be best to have that player as already being part of the squad.

I thought we could have included another young batsman at the expense of Hughes or Khawaja. Burns or Doolan could have been included in the squad. Happy for Rogers though as well as Harris and Faulkner. You'd reckon that Haddin will play seeing as he has been named as VC. Who knows with the selectors though?

Our batting is going to have to improve dramatically if we're going to be any chance. The selectors have only included one new batsman (Rogers) so they've all got another opportunity. Let's hope they make the most of it.

Like you, I'd have Rogers in the team but he might have to bide his time initially. Also reckon that Haddin will play but whether he keeps or not is another matter. In an ideal world, either Wade or Haddin plays and bats at no.7.

Think they might play one of the left arm quicks initially as well. Would like to see either Bird or Harris in the team though. Both those seam bowlers look suited to English conditions. They've picked 6 fast bowlers in the squad so we could assume that the rotation policy will be persevered with.

I'd like to see us start off with Pattinson and Starc with Harris or Bird making up our 3 fast bowlers (with back up from Watson) Siddle can be rotated in. Our fast bowling is our strength and you could make a case for any of the 6 to play. I like what Faulkner brings to the table as well. He's a good competitor.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Would have liked to see an extra spinner in the squad

The young spinner Ashton Agar will be in England during the time of the tour and could receive a call up if absolutely necessary.

And if Julia wants to pick up some votes from the cricket fraternity she should arrange Fawad Ahmed's naturalization ceremony ASAP.

I'm underwhelmed by the batting line up, a legacy of no succession plan reminiscent of Daniher's last three seasons at Melbourne.

I'm usually an optimist but I reckon by the end of the third test, it's going to be all over red rover. A bit like playing Port Adelaide, Essendon & WCE in successive weeks.

The young spinner Ashton Agar will be in England during the time of the tour and could receive a call up if absolutely necessary.

And if Julia wants to pick up some votes from the cricket fraternity she should arrange Fawad Ahmed's naturalization ceremony ASAP.

I'm underwhelmed by the batting line up, a legacy of no succession plan reminiscent of Daniher's last three seasons at Melbourne.

I'm usually an optimist but I reckon by the end of the third test, it's going to be all over red rover. A bit like playing Port Adelaide, Essendon & WCE in successive weeks.

I'm remaining unrealistically optimistic until proven otherwise! A 2-1 series win but we'll need just about everything to go our way (did everything go our way in '89? ... it seemed so)

Interesting facts ...

The 1st Test is at Trent Bridge where England have only beaten us twice since 1930.

The 2nd Test is at Lords where we've only been beaten once by England since 1934.

Re Agar. If he's our 1st choice back up spinner then that might be ok. If not, maybe we can get Warnie to take his 'Whites' over there (just in case ^_^ )

Edited by Macca

Would have liked to see an extra spinner in the squad for a few reasons

1 - In case we need to replace Lyon because of lack of form

2 - To step into the team if Lyon has a training mishap and is unavailable

3 - In case a 'spinning wicket' is prepared or is presented because of local conditions.

4 - To give valuable experience to another spinner on an Ashes tour.

The above 4 points should not be seen as a criticism of Lyon as I believe he's easily our first choice spinner right now. It's more the principle of only having one spinner in the squad. Maybe we'll have a few of our other spinners over there playing County cricket during the tour. If that's the case, then there is most probably a back-up plan.

Remembering that Wade had to play with a fractured cheekbone in India because we didn't have a reserve keeper on tour (Haddin was belatedly flown over)

On the choosing of 6 fast bowlers ...

Even though it was a predictable move because of the rotation policy, it effectively means that 3 quick bowlers will sit on the sidelines for every Test. 5 quicks would have been enough and if we had done that it would have allowed us to pick an extra spinner and create more balance.

Also felt we could have picked a 17th player to tour and ideally that player would have been a batting all rounder who bowls medium fast. Henriques or Mitch Marsh could have fitted the bill. As it is, if Watson breaks down again, we won't have a 5th bowler in the team. We could fly a player in but it would be best to have that player as already being part of the squad.

I thought we could have included another young batsman at the expense of Hughes or Khawaja. Burns or Doolan could have been included in the squad. Happy for Rogers though as well as Harris and Faulkner. You'd reckon that Haddin will play seeing as he has been named as VC. Who knows with the selectors though?

Our batting is going to have to improve dramatically if we're going to be any chance. The selectors have only included one new batsman (Rogers) so they've all got another opportunity. Let's hope they make the most of it.

Like you, I'd have Rogers in the team but he might have to bide his time initially. Also reckon that Haddin will play but whether he keeps or not is another matter. In an ideal world, either Wade or Haddin plays and bats at no.7.

Think they might play one of the left arm quicks initially as well. Would like to see either Bird or Harris in the team though. Both those seam bowlers look suited to English conditions. They've picked 6 fast bowlers in the squad so we could assume that the rotation policy will be persevered with.

I'd like to see us start off with Pattinson and Starc with Harris or Bird making up our 3 fast bowlers (with back up from Watson) Siddle can be rotated in. Our fast bowling is our strength and you could make a case for any of the 6 to play. I like what Faulkner brings to the table as well. He's a good competitor.

Agree with pretty much all of this Macca. I'm assuming that if anything were to happen to Watson then Faulkner may be given a debut cap and put in at number 7. He's certainly capable with the bat, just hasn't shown consistency yet at shield level.

From what I've seen in the media I'm now left with the impression that Haddin will be given the gloves and that one of Khawaja or Hughes will play as a batsman meaning Wade will just be backup gloveman. Also was some mention in todays Age that Warner may be pushed down the order in the hope that Rogers & Cowan can take some shine off the duke ball. Makes me think the main XI could look something like:

Cowan

Rogers

Khawaja

Clarke*

Warner

Watson

+Haddin

Siddle

Pattinson

Lyon

Bird

Harris & Strac to be rotated in with the other 3 quicks. We possible could see all of Siddle, Pattinson, Bird, Harris & Starc play 3 tests each? I reckon Wade will simply be reserve keeper, Faulkner reserve allrounder and Hughes reserve batsman. Agar possibly to be drafted into the squad in case anything were to happen to Lyon.

Agree with pretty much all of this Macca. I'm assuming that if anything were to happen to Watson then Faulkner may be given a debut cap and put in at number 7. He's certainly capable with the bat, just hasn't shown consistency yet at shield level.

From what I've seen in the media I'm now left with the impression that Haddin will be given the gloves and that one of Khawaja or Hughes will play as a batsman meaning Wade will just be backup gloveman. Also was some mention in todays Age that Warner may be pushed down the order in the hope that Rogers & Cowan can take some shine off the duke ball. Makes me think the main XI could look something like:

Cowan

Rogers

Khawaja

Clarke*

Warner

Watson

+Haddin

Siddle

Pattinson

Lyon

Bird

Harris & Strac to be rotated in with the other 3 quicks. We possible could see all of Siddle, Pattinson, Bird, Harris & Starc play 3 tests each? I reckon Wade will simply be reserve keeper, Faulkner reserve allrounder and Hughes reserve batsman. Agar possibly to be drafted into the squad in case anything were to happen to Lyon.

The keeper at no.7 with some hard hitting at 5 and 6 (if it comes off) has a better look about it, TD.

Here's how I think the 1st Test will line up (in batting order, assuming that Watson is bowling)

Cowan

Warner

Hughes*

Clarke

Khawaja

Watson

Haddin

Starc

Siddle**

Pattinson

Lyon

*Rogers might have to wait for his opportunity but I'd have him in before Hughes.

** I can't really see Siddle not playing first up but I'd start off with Harris or Bird instead.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2013/content/current/story/632264.html

One has to ask the question, what the hell is someone as injury prone as Harris doing playing over in the IPL in the lead up to the Ashes???

I know this argument has been done to death but can we please stop allowing our contracted players (which Harris os one of) to play in the circus!

The English players don't seem to mind not playing in it and the Indians don't allow there's to play in the BBL so why do we let ours go over there and allow stuff like this to happen?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2013/content/current/story/632264.html

One has to ask the question, what the hell is someone as injury prone as Harris doing playing over in the IPL in the lead up to the Ashes???

I know this argument has been done to death but can we please stop allowing our contracted players (which Harris os one of) to play in the circus!

The English players don't seem to mind not playing in it and the Indians don't allow there's to play in the BBL so why do we let ours go over there and allow stuff like this to happen?

There's so much money involved for the Indians in the IPL that they probably have no need for the much smaller money on offer in the BBL. Some of the Indian players earn close to $2,000,000 in the IPL.

As for the England players, their season starts in late April / early May and they probably have to sign contracts precluding them from being available for the IPL. (although KP wants to play in the IPL. He's got a huge contract with his Indian franchise, subject to availability)

For our players, that April / May period was usually a time to put the feet up. But if there's obscene amounts of money on offer, what are they to do? They are professional sportsmen. For example, Maxwell is getting $1,000,000 for a maximum of 45 hours of cricket (that's about 1 and a half Tests) He might spend 15 - 20 hours of that time sitting on the sidelines. Easy money in anyone's book.

CA could pay our players not to play in the IPL but it's highly doubtful that they'd do that. Not sure they'd have enough funds anyway.

It all comes down to money and that money supply keeps coming. It's not stopping anytime soon. Harris is/was on 350k for about 50 overs worth of bowling in the IPL. Ridiculous isn't it? But that's the reality. He's 33 years old and he can't play forever, so like just about anyone else, he'll most probably take the money. Faulkner is playing in the IPL this season for 400k.

Our interest in the IPL (or lack of interest) is largely irrelevant. It's high stakes and the players are the commodities. The lack of down time or rest for the best cricketers has evaporated. I can just see more of the same in the future - especially if all the t20 Leagues get bigger and more widespread. There has been talk of a 2nd IPL League as well. Who knows where it will end?

Edited by Macca

There's so much money involved for the Indians in the IPL that they probably have no need for the much smaller money on offer in the BBL. Some of the Indian players earn close to $2,000,000 in the IPL.

As for the England players, their season starts in late April / early May and they probably have to sign contracts precluding them from being available for the IPL. (although KP wants to play in the IPL. He's got a huge contract with his Indian franchise, subject to availability)

For our players, that April / May period was usually a time to put the feet up. But if there's obscene amounts of money on offer, what are they to do? They are professional sportsmen. For example, Maxwell is getting $1,000,000 for a maximum of 45 hours of cricket (that's about 1 and a half Tests) He might spend 15 - 20 hours of that time sitting on the sidelines. Easy money in anyone's book.

CA could pay our players not to play in the IPL but it's highly doubtful that they'd do that. Not sure they'd have enough funds anyway.

It all comes down to money and that money supply keeps coming. It's not stopping anytime soon. Harris is/was on 350k for about 50 overs worth of bowling in the IPL. Ridiculous isn't it? But that's the reality. He's 33 years old and he can't play forever, so like just about anyone else, he'll most probably take the money. Faulkner is playing in the IPL this season for 400k.

Our interest in the IPL (or lack of interest) is largely irrelevant. It's high stakes and the players are the commodities. The lack of down time or rest for the best cricketers has evaporated. I can just see more of the same in the future - especially if all the t20 Leagues get bigger and more widespread. There has been talk of a 2nd IPL League as well. Who knows where it will end?

I see what you're saying Macca, and I have no trouble with Australian cricketers playing in the IPL in general. I just think we should draw a line at our contracted players, for example the below list:

CRICKET AUSTRALIA'S CONTRACTED PLAYERS FOR 2013/14: (with age)

George Bailey (TAS) - 30

Michael Clarke (NSW) - 32

Ed Cowan (TAS) - 30

Patrick Cummins (NSW) - 19

Xavier Doherty (TAS) - 30

James Faulkner (TAS) - 22

Brad Haddin (NSW) - 35

Ryan Harris (QLD) - 33

Ben Hilfenhaus (TAS) - 30

Phillip Hughes (SA) - 24

Mitchell Johnson (WA) - 31

Nathan Lyon (SA) - 25

Glenn Maxwell (VIC) - 24

Clint McKay (VIC) - 30

James Pattinson (VIC) - 22

Peter Siddle (VIC) - 28

Mitchell Starc (NSW) - 23

Matthew Wade (VIC) - 25

David Warner (NSW) - 26

Shane Watson (NSW) - 31

Those contracted players were announced earlier this year, and when a player gets a contract I reckon part of that should be that they waive the right to play in the IPL for that season. As this related article shows http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/the-6-million-man-michael-clarkes-huge-pay-rise/story-e6frfmqi-1226406055466 players who play often for Australia are earning over $1,000,000 a year as it is anyway so it's not like they're struggling to make a crust. One has to be vary careful with greed as it comes at a cost, just look at what the US banks being to greedy created, hello G.F.C.

Any un-contracted Australian cricketer I'd say go for your life with the IPL bt anyone who gets a contract then it should be off limits for mine, And for players who miss large chunks of the year through injury like your Ryan Harris's and Pat Cummins, surely there should be some type of bonus cricket Australia can pay them for missing out on the IPL.

I see what you're saying Macca, and I have no trouble with Australian cricketers playing in the IPL in general. I just think we should draw a line at our contracted players, for example the below list:

CRICKET AUSTRALIA'S CONTRACTED PLAYERS FOR 2013/14: (with age)

George Bailey (TAS) - 30

Michael Clarke (NSW) - 32

Ed Cowan (TAS) - 30

Patrick Cummins (NSW) - 19

Xavier Doherty (TAS) - 30

James Faulkner (TAS) - 22

Brad Haddin (NSW) - 35

Ryan Harris (QLD) - 33

Ben Hilfenhaus (TAS) - 30

Phillip Hughes (SA) - 24

Mitchell Johnson (WA) - 31

Nathan Lyon (SA) - 25

Glenn Maxwell (VIC) - 24

Clint McKay (VIC) - 30

James Pattinson (VIC) - 22

Peter Siddle (VIC) - 28

Mitchell Starc (NSW) - 23

Matthew Wade (VIC) - 25

David Warner (NSW) - 26

Shane Watson (NSW) - 31

Those contracted players were announced earlier this year, and when a player gets a contract I reckon part of that should be that they waive the right to play in the IPL for that season. As this related article shows http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/the-6-million-man-michael-clarkes-huge-pay-rise/story-e6frfmqi-1226406055466 players who play often for Australia are earning over $1,000,000 a year as it is anyway so it's not like they're struggling to make a crust. One has to be vary careful with greed as it comes at a cost, just look at what the US banks being to greedy created, hello G.F.C.

Any un-contracted Australian cricketer I'd say go for your life with the IPL bt anyone who gets a contract then it should be off limits for mine, And for players who miss large chunks of the year through injury like your Ryan Harris's and Pat Cummins, surely there should be some type of bonus cricket Australia can pay them for missing out on the IPL.

One thing is for sure, fast bowlers need down time to rest and recuperate. Either one decent long break or a couple of reasonably breaks. CA have to find a way. With the batsmen and spinners it's not as important although time away from the sport to freshen up is vital.

As has been stated before, at issue here is the money on offer. Clarke made a pointed reference during the tour of India re the IPL. The powers at be are probably fully aware of the workloads but restraint of trade obviously comes into things. England are a little lucky because their players are required to start their summer season with their central contracts.

Unfortunately for us, we're rarely involved at International level in April / May (unless we're touring the West Indies) so the players most probably see it as a chance to 'Cash in'. It's far worse for the West Indies as that April to June window is when they've traditionally held their home Tests (and continue to do so) . They can't afford to pay their players a lot of money and obviously many of their better players can earn very good money in the IPL. Huge dilemma for them.

Harris bowled a truckload of overs in the last 3 Shield games he played (130+?) so that may have contributed initially to his achilles problems. Good luck to him trying to get over the injury he's got - achilles issues can hang around for an age. If it's tendonitis he'll need plenty of rest.

Edited by Macca

A 'Smoky' for the 1st Test?

"I like to think I'm pretty aggressive in the way I play my cricket," Faulkner said. "I get on the front foot instead of being dictated to." The all-rounder, who turns 23 next week, was man of the match in the recent Shefeld Shield final, scoring 135 runs and claiming four wickets to help the Tigers to their third title.

Rising from the Ashes

The title ''worst ever'' now belongs to the class of 2013. As in '89, it brings immense opportunity. It is the chance to not only win against the odds but also spark Australian cricket's next renaissance.

''We had a lot of inexperience and players who were trying to prove themselves, including myself, and all of a sudden we just clicked,'' Waugh said at the squad announcement.

Lawson kept newspaper cut-outs leading up to that day. ''The English media wrote us off, but we didn't feel that way,'' he recalls.

''I haven't backed the Australian selectors much with all the problems and whatnot, but I like the squad they've picked and I just have a good feeling about this team. I just think there's a bunch of good selections,'' Lawson said.

Edited by Macca